BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Book - RW Celebrating 20 Years In Music, IE Music. 2010
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Mart!n
post Oct 12 2010, 11:40 AM
Post #1
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
Group: Members
Member No.: 2

Just though I let everyone know, Music Week magazine have gave away a free Robbie Williams book celebrating 20 years in music. The best place to find MW magazine in WHSmiths, but you might have to ask for it behind the counter.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
De Niro
post Oct 12 2010, 11:44 AM
Post #2
"God have mercy on the man who doubts what he's sure of
Member No.: 254
   No Gallery Pics

Oh wow cheers for the info Mikey. Do you have the book yourself? It's not his new official book 'You Know Me' is it? ohmy.gif What does it contain? Is it mainly pictures or is there lots of info regarding his chart career etc. MW do brilliant write ups so I would love to have it. I am not sure if that would be available here in Ireland. We don't have WHSmith. sad.gif

+Quote Post
Mart!n
post Oct 12 2010, 11:53 AM
Post #3
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
Member No.: 2

Ita basically a book charting his career over 20 years with pictures and info. There is no ISBN No on it, so you can't buy the book on its own. I think some of the pictures are taken from "You Know Me"

+Quote Post
De Niro
post Oct 13 2010, 11:59 PM
Post #4
   No Gallery Pics

I have just bought this weeks edition of Music Week this evening and am so astonished by the quality of the free 168 page tribute book to Robbie that I think it deserves it's own thread. I urge everyone who can get it to do so. I am not sure if it available outside the UK and Ireland so it may be on ebay. I cannot emphasize enough how fantastic this book is. wub.gif

It basically goes through the entire of Rob's career, with the excellent Chris Heath interviewing dozens of the people who helped make it happen including Tim, David, Josie, Guy,Stephen and Trevor Hord (who all talk about Rob's songwriting and creating the albums in deatail), his music vid director Vaughn (who gives the stories behind every single video), Gary Nuttell, his touring team who go behind the scenes with every tour and the famous director Hamish Hamilton who talks about filming Rob's gigs.

The interviews are very informative. Everyone from JF, the man who first signed him , to Jonny Wilks are interviewed and there are tones of brilliant photos. The book was put together by IE.Music so it is totally official. There are chapters dedicated to everything from the marketing strategy behind every album to his work with UNICEF, and also an entire chapter about his success in Germany and how he is the most successful touring artist of all time there.

There are also loads of adverts for famous companies such as Volkswagen, Universal and loads of other well known sponsors all saying congrats.

MW probably isnt the easiest thing to find but I really can't recommend this enough. It is the perfect way to celebrate his 20 years and makes up for 'You Know Me' book which is mainly pictures.

My scanner is not working so I just took two quick pics of the cover and the contents.

+Quote Post
Shaky Fan
post Oct 14 2010, 05:48 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 509
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(De Niro @ Oct 12 2010, 12:44 PM) *
Oh wow cheers for the info Mikey. Do you have the book yourself? It's not his new official book 'You Know Me' is it? ohmy.gif What does it contain? Is it mainly pictures or is there lots of info regarding his chart career etc. MW do brilliant write ups so I would love to have it. I am not sure if that would be available here in Ireland. We don't have WHSmith. sad.gif

You might find it in the larger branches of Easons!

Not sure where you are but Tower Records in Dublin usually stock MW.

Failing that you might be able to buy it through the back issues section of the website....

+Quote Post
Shaky Fan
post Oct 14 2010, 05:50 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 509
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(M!key @ Oct 12 2010, 12:40 PM) *
Just though I let everyone know, Music Week magazine have gave away a free Robbie Williams book celebrating 20 years in music. The best place to find MW magazine in WHSmiths, but you might have to ask for it behind the counter.

Would have been even better if there was an option to download a pdf version along with the magazine but I guess the size made that impossible!

+Quote Post
Kath
post Oct 14 2010, 07:10 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 2,980
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(M!key @ Oct 12 2010, 12:40 PM) *

I'm surprised that our little Wigan's WH Smith's get this in every week (there used to be an old-fashioned bookshop called just 'Smiths' and that used to get it too). It is good ... the musical bible ... but (is it £5.30 now?) at its current price ... its so expensive for a weekly. It isn't so much a magazine as a newspaper but on good grade paper.

I should add ... no-one buys it ... by Monday it's totally dog-eared from all the people who've 'leafed' through it before buying their Q or Empire magazines. I did go into our library to suggest they get it in (well they get 'The Stage' and the 'Ferret Finders Factbook' ... so why not Music Week). I've not heard back from them yet!

Kath

+Quote Post
De Niro
post Oct 14 2010, 09:32 PM
Post #8
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Shaky Fan @ Oct 14 2010, 06:48 PM) *
You might find it in the larger branches of Easons!

Not sure where you are but Tower Records in Dublin usually stock MW.

Failing that you might be able to buy it through the back issues section of the website....

Thanks - got it in Easons on O'Connell St. I asked a member of staff and they said they had never heard of it. Checked with the manager and he directed me over to the foreign newspapers section where it was on one of the shelves. There was only a handfull of them. It was over €7 and tbh after flicking through MW - without the Robbie book (which is of such high quality I would pay €30 for it alone) it is a very cheaply made and quite short magazine. But I suppose it is really a trade magazine for those in the music industry. Some interesting articles in it. Shame about Sir CLIFF being plastered over the front cover. laugh.gif

I have been reading the book for the past hour. I still cannot get over how great it is. Such a huge amount of effort has been put into it and although fans will love it - the aim is obviously for people to look back on Rob's career as a study of how to build an enormously successful career and the overall brand. All the detail given by industry insiders is so interesting in general - even for those that don't like Rob but are just interested in the whole music business.

I am loving the amount of credit Guy, Stephen and Trevor give him as a songwriter. There are loads of people in the book that go on about how talented he is at writing songs and how he thrives on the creative process. Interesting how the Duffster said they have 60 unfinished tracks and they are very adventurous. Would love to hear the results of them again. Working with Duffy was great for Rob, especially considering how much he encouraged Rob to write the music to the songs as oppose to just the lyrics and melody. It is so interesting to read about the creation of the tracks and how it was all done with the two of them jamming with the guitar and bass and keyboards. I bet Rob is very proud of IC and so he should be. It aint a standard pop album of loads of potential hit singles but rather a fantastic mature piece of work by a singer-songwriter. Was actually just listening to it there - still souding fantastic. The Trouble With Me wub.gif

+Quote Post
Sydney
post Oct 15 2010, 07:48 AM
Post #9
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 1,680
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(De Niro @ Oct 14 2010, 10:32 PM) *
Thanks - got it in Easons on O'Connell St. I asked a member of staff and they said they had never heard of it. Checked with the manager and he directed me over to the foreign newspapers section where it was on one of the shelves. There was only a handfull of them. It was over €7 and tbh after flicking through MW - without the Robbie book (which is of such high quality I would pay €30 for it alone) it is a very cheaply made and quite short magazine. But I suppose it is really a trade magazine for those in the music industry. Some interesting articles in it. Shame about Sir CLIFF being plastered over the front cover. laugh.gif

I have been reading the book for the past hour. I still cannot get over how great it is. Such a huge amount of effort has been put into it and although fans will love it - the aim is obviously for people to look back on Rob's career as a study of how to build an enormously successful career and the overall brand. All the detail given by industry insiders is so interesting in general - even for those that don't like Rob but are just interested in the whole music business.

I am loving the amount of credit Guy, Stephen and Trevor give him as a songwriter. There are loads of people in the book that go on about how talented he is at writing songs and how he thrives on the creative process. Interesting how the Duffster said they have 60 unfinished tracks and they are very adventurous. Would love to hear the results of them again. Working with Duffy was great for Rob, especially considering how much he encouraged Rob to write the music to the songs as oppose to just the lyrics and melody. It is so interesting to read about the creation of the tracks and how it was all done with the two of them jamming with the guitar and bass and keyboards. I bet Rob is very proud of IC and so he should be. It aint a standard pop album of loads of potential hit singles but rather a fantastic mature piece of work by a singer-songwriter. Was actually just listening to it there - still souding fantastic. The Trouble With Me wub.gif

I love the comment Duffster said they have 60 unfinished tracks and they are very adventurous., cool2.gif that is why we get those special gems like Dogs & Birds every now & then. I will bet though that Robbie never see those type of songs as been any good at all . I have ordered the book from Eason's so cannot wait to get my hands on it. thumbup.gif

+Quote Post
De Niro
post Oct 16 2010, 07:29 PM
Post #10
   No Gallery Pics

Win 168-Page Glossy Tribute Magazine 'Robbie Williams: Celebrating 20 Years In Music'

To coincide with this week's release of Robbie Williams' new best of album, 'In And Out Of Consciousness – The Greatest Hits 1990-2010' (as well as some forthcoming exciting Take That news!), Stereoboard have announced a brand new competition. Up for grabs is a deluxe 168-page tribute magazine entitled 'Robbie Williams: Celebrating 20 Years In Music'.

The 168-page, glossy magazine features new interviews with key people who have featured strongly in Robbie's career, his long-time A&R Chris Briggs, his one-time song-writing collaborators Guy Chambers and Stephen Duffy, his last studio album producer Trevor Horn, EMI UK President Andria Vidler and many more. In addition to the interviews, the magazine is packed full of rare photographs and images taken from various moments throughout Robbie's career. It is without doubt an absolute must have for any collector or fan.

At 39 songs, Robbie's double-album release, 'In And Out Of Consciousness: The Greatest Hits 1990-2010', is the last album in the recently reformed Take That star's current EMI deal. The album's first single 'Shine', co-written by his Take That band mate Gary Barlow, was last week locked in a tough battle with Cee-Lo Green's release 'F**ck You', one of the biggest chart battles for Number One of the year so far.

Enter below for your chance to win the deluxe 168-page tribute magazine, 'Robbie Williams: Celebrating 20 Years In Music'.

Robbie Williams Book Competition

We are giving away a unique piece of Robbie Williams memorabilia! 'Celebrating 20 Years In Music 1990-2010' is a new and rare 168-page book, distributed only in the music press, and we're giving it away to one lucky Stereoboard.com reader. The book, not available to purchase, features plenty of Robbie photographs, interviews and behind-the-scenes coverage charting Robbie's 20 years in the music business. To enter our Robbie Williams competition just leave your entry details below. The competition closes, and the winner will be notified by SMS and email on Monday November 22nd. Enter now for your chance to win.

source: http://www.stereoboard.com/

+Quote Post
De Niro
post Oct 16 2010, 11:28 PM
Post #11
   No Gallery Pics

A lot of fans seem to be finding it very hard to find this. Ridiculous to limit it to just MW - a huge amount of time and effort has gone into making this brilliant tribute and it should be widely available for the fans and not just a few industry types - many of whom probably won't bother reading it. It should at the very least be made available to buy on the official site (speaking of which - there is a long interview with the people behind the OS and the way they go on makes it sound like the single greatest website on the WWW laugh.gif)

I've read most of it and the content is worth £20 tbh. Fantastic. The interviews are so interesting. The Guy one in particular. He has always been asked a few questions in the past but has this much detail been given.

I have often heard people say that Guy wrote the chorus to 'Angels (lyrics and all) by himself - he says they wrote them together. It really is amazing that it only took 9 days to write 'Life Thru A Lens' which is imo one of the greatest Pop/Rock albums of all time. It is a masterpiece imo and it still amazes me how quickly it was put together. And you can tell - it has that raw edgy and fresh sound to it which I adore. None of that over-produced nonsense that pollutes the charts these days

I enjoyed how much credit he gave Rob. He said that 'Feel' would not be a good song if it was not for the lyrics - which Guy says Rob wrote alone. He says without great lyrics - it doesnt matter how good the music is. He explains how most artists are scared to be honest when it comes to lyrics and Rob isnt one of them. He also says they made a great team because he was good at everything Rob was weak at and Rob was really good at everything he was weak at. Explains he wasnt surprised Rob did the Swing album but was shocked at how well Rob sang the songs.

On the subject of why they broke up - Guy admits he took things for granted - and didnt give Rob enough respect for the songs he wrote without Guy and how important they were to him. He said Rob wanted to work with others as creatively it was getting a bit stale.

I was glad to read the following though "Post-Robbie, and it's been 8 years now, I've written with literally hundreds of people some of whom are multi-platinum and really good artists, and there's hardly anyone who's on his level - maybe two or three. That's my experience. Time has proven to me quite how unbelievably creative he is" cool.gif

He also says how unique Rob is and how is surprised that nobody has challenged him to be the next huge male star or taken his place and how amazing it is that he is still the biggest star in the UK.

Mentions 'Starstruck' is his fave post-split Rob song and how shocked he was it was not a single as he thinks it would have been a smash. Reveals that Tina Turner recorded a cover of 'Feel' which is great by the sound of it.

He goes into detail of how in 2007 he stayed at Rob's house and they tried to write together again but it didnt work. They wrote a track Guy was excited about but Rob didnt share the excitement and Guy felt he had come up against a brick wall and it knocked him back. He says he can't get past Rob's lack of interest and how frustrating it was for him but says he would love to work with Rob again, also indicating a possible second Swing album and says he sees no reason why Rob can't sell 7 million albums again. Finishes off by saying he compares every male act he works with to Rob and it is hard to find anyone who matches up to him.

So overall Guy gave a very good interview. Shame the media don't pick up on any of his comments about how talented and creative Rob is - I bet had he said anything negetive it would be all over the place. rolleyes.gif

The Duffster praises him also by saying "His ability to extemporise a melody and words that make sense out of nowhere is something I've never seen with anyone else. He's a little hook machine. As a writer he's been completely underestimated". Also explains how shocked he was when he got the call about IC selling a million copies worldwide in the first week, and how they have 60 unfinished tracks they wrote together, many of them very adventurous. Would love to hear them myself, they wrote loads of brilliant tracks together, many of them left off IC such as Don't Stop Talking, Don't Say No and Bag Full Of Silly. wub.gif

+Quote Post
Jupiter9
post Oct 17 2010, 03:29 PM
Post #12
The Last of the Rock Stars
Member No.: 368

I got my copy of Music Week complete with free Robbie book yahoo.gif yahoo.gif yahoo.gif

Tell you something though, I wouldn't normally spend £5.15 on what's little more than a 33 page newspaper blink.gif

The Robbie book is 168 pages though and excellent quality so £5.15 was worth it for that alone wub.gif

+Quote Post
De Niro
post Oct 17 2010, 03:42 PM
Post #13
   No Gallery Pics

So glad you got it Jups. You will love reading it as would any fan. It is worth a good £20 if you ask me. I was ashamed to have to buy a magazine with Cliff Richard on the front cover tohugh rotf.gif

I read a bit of Cliff's interview and he says he had the idea of a Swing album before Rob but when Rob release SwingWYW he didnt bother with his until now laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Sydney
post Oct 17 2010, 05:24 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 1,680
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Jupiter9 @ Oct 17 2010, 04:29 PM) *
I got my copy of Music Week complete with free Robbie book yahoo.gif yahoo.gif yahoo.gif

Tell you something though, I wouldn't normally spend £5.15 on what's little more than a 33 page newspaper blink.gif

The Robbie book is 168 pages though and excellent quality so £5.15 was worth it for that alone wub.gif

My copy is on the way cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif

+Quote Post
CassieT
post Oct 18 2010, 02:06 PM
Post #15
New Entry
Member No.: 10,129
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(De Niro @ Oct 17 2010, 12:28 AM) *
It should at the very least be made available to buy on the official site (speaking of which - there is a long interview with the people behind the OS and the way they go on makes it sound like the single greatest website on the WWW laugh.gif)

I'm guessing that's EXACTLY why it's not available on the OS - I read that section with increasing incredulity laugh.gif

It's a brilliant thing to have though. Now that I've read it, I've tucked it away carefully on my bookshelf smile.gif

+Quote Post
Sparkle
post Oct 18 2010, 02:15 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 518

sad.gif I still can't find it here to buy, have looked in a few newagents, and WH Smiths today without
any luck.

+Quote Post
Jupiter9
post Oct 19 2010, 08:49 PM
Post #17
The Last of the Rock Stars
Member No.: 368

I found it in my local WH Smith without much problem unsure.gif Although I'd to fumble around the legs of a middle aged furtive looking gentleman in a raincoat to retrieve it from the bottom shelf. And he certainly wasn't reading Music Week dry.gif

+Quote Post
Better Man
post Sep 3 2020, 08:55 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 12,584
   No Gallery Pics

Hey guys!

I have finally started to upload our translation of the great official book - Celebrating 20 Years In Music since today.
It has been a very long-term deal...cos I started to work on this 8 or 9 years ago.

Yes, it's in Russian language but you can use Google translator anytime.
And I really recommend you to read it because it's a great and rare book, one of my personal favourite...
Though 10 years have passed since its release, anyway you can find many facts about management of Robbie, his working ability and relationship with colleagues.

I'm really happy to share it with all of you finally!

So, I will upload each new chapter every Thursday.
Stay tuned!

READ here:
http://robbiewilliamsmusic.ru/teksty/trans...years-in-music/

OR

If there are problems with Google translator check this:
http://translate.googleusercontent.com/tra...w5wtkQZiQL__CpA

This post has been edited by Better Man: Sep 11 2020, 07:59 PM

+Quote Post
Better Man
post Sep 3 2020, 08:59 PM
Post #19
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 12,584
   No Gallery Pics

CHAPTER 1 (TIM CLARK & DAVID ENTHOVEN)
is
here: http://robbiewilliamsmusic.ru/teksty/trans...years-in-music/

+Quote Post
Sydney11
post Sep 3 2020, 09:42 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 23,135

QUOTE(Better Man @ Sep 3 2020, 09:55 PM) *
Hey guys!

I have finally started to upload our translation of the great official book - Celebrating 20 Years In Music since today.
It has been a very long-term deal...cos I started to work on this 8 or 9 years ago.

Yes, it's in Russian language but you can use Google translator anytime.
And I really recommend you to read it because it's a great and rare book, one of my personal favourite...
Though 10 years have passed since its release, anyway you can find many facts about management of Robbie, his working ability and relationship with colleagues.

I'm really happy to share it with all of you finally!

So, I will upload each new chapter every Thursday.
Stay tuned!

I have not read that book Alex - will check it out ..

Amazing 9 years of work on this, well done

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:52 PM