BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Heartstopper, Netflix | season 1 out now
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
JosephBoone
post 23rd April 2022, 02:39 PM
Post #1
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

New teen coming-of-age LGBTQ+ series based on the graphic novel by Alice Oseman which came out yesterday on Netflix. Stars Kit Connor and Joe Locke as Nick and Charlie, two seemingly different boys drawn together at school.

Trailer:

I binged this with Jay last night, only planned episode 1 at first and we couldn't stop ourselves watching the whole thing...! I'll type a full review soon but I highly recommend it, it's such an adorable watch and I felt so emotionally connected to the characters in no time at all. One of the best shows I've seen in so long!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 23rd April 2022, 08:20 PM
Post #2
Group icon

SPOILERS IN THIS POST BEWARE!!!!

I've been thinking about this show pretty much non-stop all day today and figuring out what I want to say about it, and ultimately I just feel so positive and happy that a show like this exists. I'm going to go into more detail below and it's a kinda long post so I'm going to issue a final SPOILER WARNING right here for everything below. Read on at your own peril.

Firstly, I think the tone is spot on. It's optimistic, hopeful and chirpy, just like the two lead characters, and though it doesn't shy away from showing negative experiences with being LGBTQ+ in secondary school, it puts everything in a positive light that will hopefully inspire many of the younger generation to feel confident in themselves and/or support those around them instead of being quick to judge. In that sense, it's an important show, even if it helps just one person (but already it's clear its reach is beyond that and I don't think I've ever seen such a big, immediate outpouring of love for a show on my Twitter before), and I really hope its optimism shines through to everyone watching. It's just so happy and fulfilling to watch!

Kit Connor and Joe Locke are perfectly cast and add so much charm to their roles as Nick and Charlie respectively. Charlie's story is one I've seen first hand (as a teaching assistant in a secondary school, less so from my own school experience where I told only my closest friends about my sexuality), having to put up with slurs and inappropriate comments from people who are homophobic. I mentor a student who is LGBTQ+ and they've definitely experienced that. I also loved the portrayal of Charlie's trust in Mr Ajayi, a wonderful portrayal of how much of a difference just one supportive, open member of staff can make (and that's everything I try to be for the student I mentor; trust me, it pays off in dividends).

Nick's bisexuality was portrayed wonderfully too and his coming out scene at the end of the last episode had me in floods of tears (in fact I spent the last 10 mins or so of the last episode crying). Olivia Colman was superb as Nick's mum and I loved her genuine, sincere, supportive reaction - showing how it's meant to be. Representation throughout the show was strong too, I loved the trans representation in Elle and I hope that, should we get a season 2, we get to explore her story a little more. It's huge to have a trans actress playing a trans character set in a secondary school though - once again, a story I'll be telling at work. Representation matters heart.gif

I truly detested Ben and Harry's characters, which is a job well done as that was clearly the point. Ben was evidently a more flawed version of Nick in some ways, in terms of discovering himself and I liked the parallels between the two, but with Nick being immediately more upfront and resolving any issues with Charlie quickly. It felt realistic because there wasn't drama for drama's sake, despite being teenagers they were able to talk through their problems (eventually in the case of the final episode!!!) and their love for each other prevailed heart.gif Harry was a truly repulsive character but sadly one that represents a number of homophobes we still have in the world. I hope the clear negative light they showed him in can be a lesson to people.

I feel like there's so much more I have to say but I can't think of it all right now but a few quick points: I enjoyed that Tao was so protective of Charlie and I understood his resistance to Nick, as much as we, the audience, knew Nick's intentions were pure from the start. Imogen and Nick's conversation when he admitted he didn't like her was a lovely one and her proud smile when she saw him and Charlie holding hands was cute heart.gif Tara and Darcy's story was great and one I'd like to see much more of, plus their friendship with Elle!

For a second season, I REALLY hope we get one so we can see Nick and Charlie's relationship developed further. I'd hope they don't go down the obvious route of splitting them up/introducing a new potential love interest for one of them because that's where most shows/films like this tend to go next and it almost makes the anticipation and build-up of season 1 feel a bit pointless! I've not read any of the graphic novels so I have no idea what's in store but I'm hoping for more exploration of Elle, the knock-on effect of Nick's sexuality among his sports team, and perhaps even Charlie's relationship with his parents - he seemed a little frosty with his dad but we didn't see much of either of his parents.

Basically: what a show, one of my favourites in so long and I'm already desperate to rewatch! heart.gif

+Quote this post
Maz!
post 23rd April 2022, 08:27 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 20,217

Joseph heart.gif I feel exactly the same about the show. Absolutely loved it and I wish this show was there when I was in my teens.

+Quote this post
robbied
post 24th April 2022, 03:18 PM
Post #4
Group icon
New Entry
User: 12,047

I’m probably so far out of the show’s target range but I loved it! Even though I was only a teenager in the late nineties, we would never have had the representation that this show is portraying in 2022. Agree with all the points above. I keep expecting Nick to give up or be frightened off…but be never was and that is different from so many other shows. Roll on Season 2 please!

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 25th April 2022, 12:13 AM
Post #5
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
User: 3,217

wub.gif

I read the graphic novels in July 2021 (there's currently four volumes - one more is coming in early 2023) and I really fell in love with the world of Heartstopper. It's incredibly feel good, adorable and romantic (although not everything is plain sailing - certain important issues are touched on, although I won't say what exactly, because this would definitely be spoilers for a potential future season). Anyway, I had been looking forward to the TV series ever since then, really praying that Netflix would do justice to the source material.

Well they absolutely have done, and then some! wub.gif I have to say, the casting is so spot on. It's literally like every main character has come to life from the pages, exactly how I'd imagined them. The actors are age appropriate, and it feels like a novelty for a show about teenagers to actually be played by teenagers rather than adults in their 20s or even 30s! laugh.gif The TV series is very faithful to the plot of the graphic novels (it covers the first two volumes), which is a great thing, it didn't need to be tampered with.

As Joseph said, I watched it with him on the day it premiered; initially I thought we'd just see one, but before we knew it we'd seen all 8! heart.gif I most definitely want to give it a second viewing asap!

I'm really thankful that a show like this exists, because it's something very positive and hopeful for LGBTQ+ people - of any age groups, I'd say, but of course I think this is particularly important for queer youth. Representation is crucial and I'm sure a lot of young people will see themselves in these characters. If only something like this could have been around when I was a teenager (which was in the early 2000s), but sadly it didn't even cross my mind then that a show like this could exist, it was that impossible. It's so mad to think that when I was at school, Section 28 was a thing, and at no stage growing up did I have a supportive adult to tell me that however I identify, it's ok to be who I am. I think there'll always be a part of me that's a little bitter about that. I hope anyone at school who is learning who they are, has a teacher like Mr Ajayi - that they have a safe space.

Wow that went off on a slight tangent, but yes, this TV show really struck a chord with me - I've been thinking about it every day since! I completely agree with everything Joseph has said. I hope a lot of BuzzJack members check it out! heart.gif

+Quote this post
CJtheDJ
post 25th April 2022, 08:18 AM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 144,373

Finished my watch earlier, this is phenomenal. Casting is absolutely on point and the plot is excellent. Haven't read the books but I'm really inclined to now!

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 28th April 2022, 02:20 AM
Post #7
Group icon

https://metro.co.uk/2022/04/26/i-adored-hea...-have-16538598/

https://www.newstatesman.com/culture/tv/202...ke-heartstopper

Two similar articles that reflect how I've been feeling this week. I've really been thrown back to dwelling over events from 20 years ago... it's like an old wound has been reopened. I'm thinking back to how isolated I was in Year 8 & Year 9 [I went to the local high school]. I was suspected of being gay and was therefore bullied by numerous people every single day over those 2 years (I denied being gay constantly, not only because it didn't feel safe to come out, but also that I wasn't ready to come out - I wasn't self-accepting at that point). I felt like a freak because I was made to feel like one, which is obviously such an unhealthy way to feel when you're growing up. I actually thought I deserved that treatment because I also hated myself for how I felt about boys. I felt completely unworthy of the young love that at least some of my straight peers were experiencing - and I knew that it was closed off to me. I honestly thought that there was no one else like me. I didn't see any representation in the media that made me feel like I was in any way "normal". I had absolutely no meaningful support from teachers during those years, and I couldn't confide in my parents either. Sadly it's clear that all of this is a universal truth for most queer teens from that era or earlier, or even later.

I mean, it got better for me. I moved to a different school in Year 10 [a private school, with a very small number of people per year group]. By some kind of miracle most of my new classmates were very nice people. To the extent that I eventually felt comfortable to come out to some of them, when I was only 15. Looking back, I do believe that their acceptance of me was certainly mixed with a big dose of fascination, that they viewed me as being a bit of a novelty. I can see now that I was definitely "othered". Not ideal, but at the time I didn't think of it that way... I was just happy and relieved that they continued being my friends, so I overlooked that I still wasn't being treated quite the same as everybody else. It probably goes without saying, but I didn't find my own Nick Nelson either! Beyond school, thankfully I found my friends for life who accept me for who I am, and many who are just like me.

Weirdly despite how I've been feeling, I do also take comfort from those articles, and also from some posts I've seen on another forum, because I'm clearly not alone in my feelings. We have this shared experience of growing up gay during a time when it was far less accepted. We're all kind of mourning for the younger versions of ourselves, we're still trying to heal. We all deserved better.

I know for sure that the teenage version of me would have hugely benefited from the existence of Heartstopper, both the graphic novels and the TV series. Like I said in my previous post, representation is massively important - seeing queer stories in the mainstream is very helpful for self-validation. Despite the fact that I've been feeling melancholic about the past, the sheer optimism and joy of the Heartstopper story is actually making me feel brighter about my future. It's provided me with a newfound feeling that it is never too late to find love. I deliberately closed that door of opportunity because of my self-esteem and health issues... but I think it's time to not hold myself back anymore.

It's kind of crazy how a TV show can really make you feel so much!

~~~

To try and make this post more directly about Heartstopper - it's fantastic to see that it's gone down a storm with so many people! It's been all over my Twitter feed this week (a huge amount of engagement according to Variety). It has 100% on Rotten Tomatoes (certified "fresh"), and a rating of 9.1 on IMDb. I'm really thrilled for its creator Alice Oseman (side note: the first Heartstopper graphic novel was the top selling children's book this week), and also for the cast. It's such deserved success. Surely Season 2 is guaranteed?

+Quote this post
Maz!
post 28th April 2022, 07:57 AM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 20,217

Oh jay wub.gif . My experience was somewhat more difficult I come from a small town where in the end of the 90s/begin 2000s homosexuality was still seen as a disease. Coming out in secondary school was dangerous, though there were rumours about two guys in my year being a couple, it was spoken about in disgust. It took me to my early 20s to accept myself and it took me years to fully come out. I dated girls so my dad would be proud of me meanwhile I was in love with my best straight school mate. For me personally this show was needed 20 years ago when I was my teens. We had Queer as Folk but that was more a show to shock than help accepting being queer.

+Quote this post
Herbs
post 28th April 2022, 08:49 AM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 214

I’m two episodes in and loving it.

I’ve only read the first book (have the second as well) and they’ve pretty much got the characters nailed down.

Echo the comments above - I wish I’d had something like this when I was in school. To give some context, a friend of mine came out around the last batch of GCSE’s and went from being semi-popular to being completely ignored. This was in the early noughties! This was one of the reasons it took me a couple more years to come out. It’s so nice to see that the world has changed for the better (although slightly bittersweet as in my opinion anyone who came out 10+ years ago basically had a stunted adolescence, as they had to wait to be their true authentic self)

Kit Connor is bloody gorgeous as well. I feel bad for thinking that as he is half my age!

This post has been edited by Herbs: 28th April 2022, 08:52 AM

+Quote this post
Herbs
post 28th April 2022, 08:50 AM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 214

Double post by mistake

This post has been edited by Herbs: 28th April 2022, 08:51 AM

+Quote this post
Ansel
post 29th April 2022, 08:00 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 106,739

I just finished this last night wub.gif so cute and definitely worth the hype, I'm so glad a show like this exists to give younger queer people a bit of hope. I thought it was a very realistic depiction of a mainly LGBT friend group too, I could definitely see my own friends in some of the characters. My secondary school experience was in the mid 2010s so people were more accepting on the most part but obviously not completely perfect, a lot of casual homophobia got brushed aside or was deeply rooted in the way the school was run. But queer joy is so important and it felt like a real coming-of-age story that I'm sure will give a lot of people the courage they really need and deserve. Also the casual Olivia Colman reveal in the first episode *.*

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 11th May 2022, 01:55 AM
Post #12
Group icon

^ It's great to see how there were many LGBTQ+ creatives involved in the making of Heartstopper. They should be so proud of themselves!

There’s been so much hype around this Heartstopper moment, so we wanted to share some Ep3 Tara and Darcy party scene BTS from the day.

Kizzy and Corinna brought so much energy and fun, they moved everyone in the room with their carefree performances. And Kit is so good too, his character’s sweet natured response timed perfectly.

With the most extraordinary lighting from Diana, and subtly brilliant 2D animation from Anna. Plus the perfect song by @chvrches and exceptional photography by @rob_youngson_photography ✨ A day to remember!

🥳💖🍂 #Heartstopper

This is one of my favourite scenes, it really pulls at my heart strings. wub.gif

the party ✨
(The video: Our director Euros made Kit and Joe run up and down the stairs and into the scene so they were realistically out of breath from the running 🏃‍♂️🏃‍♂️)

In fact Episode 3 might be my favourite, but I may need a rewatch to be sure about that. cool2.gif

^ A strong hint from Yaz that Season 2 is a certainty! (I feel like there's no doubt there will be, it's been such a big success)

Here are some stats for Heartstopper since its release:

UK Netflix Top 10 - Daily
TV Shows | Overall
23/04: #04 | #04
24/04: #04 | #04
25/04: #04 | #04
26/04: #03 | #03
27/04: #03 | (No data - presumably #03)
28/04: #03 | #04
29/04: #03 | #04
30/04: #04 | #05
01/05: #04 | #04
02/05: #04 | #04
03/05: #04 | #04
04/05: #03 | #03
05/05: #02 | #02
06/05: #02 | #02
07/05: #03 | #04
08/05: #03 | #04
09/05: #03 | #03
10/05: #05 | #06

18 days within the Top 10 TV Shows since its debut! When it reached #2, it was behind Ozark.

UK Netflix Top 10 TV Shows - Weekly
April 18 - April 24: #08
April 25 - May 1: #04
May 2 - May 8: #03

Netflix Top 10 TV (English) - Worldwide
April 18 - April 24: #07 (14,550,000 hours)
April 25 - May 1: #05 (23,940,000 hours)
May 2 - May 8: #06 (14,970,000 hours)
= 53,460,000 hours

+Quote this post
inactiveaccount
post 11th May 2022, 08:55 AM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 1,030

i did enjoy 'heartstopper' but really do agree with joseph's thoughts on a second series... i would almost like them to wait 4 or 5 years down the line and see what Charlie & Nick look like there instead of the inevitible second series of Nick hiding their relationship, Charlie and Nick breaking up and there being a new love interest.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 11th May 2022, 10:06 AM
Post #14
Group icon

Unless they veer majorly away from the source material, it’s unlikely that there would be a different love interest!

I’m not sure that I see them going in the direction of them hiding their relationship either, given that in the last episode they publicly displayed their togetherness & their closest friends all know about them now. This has actually happened a little earlier in the timeline compared to the events of the graphic novels.

There’s different issues covered in the graphic novels that suits them remaining as teenage characters and being in a school setting. Ultimately I don’t think there’d be much ground to be covered by skipping forward to them being 20/21 year olds.

+Quote this post
inactiveaccount
post 11th May 2022, 05:24 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

i just personally don't see what more ground can be covered in their teenage years... without an inevitable break-up / new romance.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 11th May 2022, 10:51 PM
Post #16
Group icon

QUOTE(dannjohn @ May 11 2022, 06:24 PM) *
i just personally don't see what more ground can be covered in their teenage years... without an inevitable break-up / new romance.

The TV show hasn’t yet delved into the third and fourth volumes of the graphic novels, and two novellas, plus there’s a 5th volume that is coming out in early 2023. They are all set while they’re in school, so there’s a lot of material to be used! If they decide to write a new love interest into the series (which doesn't feature in the books), I don't think the fanbase would be here for it at all, because that would be the biggest shift away from the books and the romanticism of Nick and Charlie. I personally don’t believe that Alice Oseman would go for it, but we shall see!

A major theme throughout the Heartstopper books is mental health, and I think that's where things will go with Nick and Charlie in Season 2. An aspect of this has already been hinted at in Season 1 - it’s subtle, but it’s there (I'm avoiding saying outright what it is, just in case it's not been picked up on by anyone here). Tao & Elle’s developing relationship is bound to be a significant plot as well!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There's been so much Heartstopper content from Netflix on YouTube and social media in recent days, it really seems that they're thrilled with how it's done. Here's the latest video:

(There's also regular tweets along these lines, which all do big numbers: https://twitter.com/NetflixUK/status/1524382869707239425 )

+Quote this post
inactiveaccount
post 16th May 2022, 08:33 AM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

i suppose one area that needs to be worked on is the other homosexual (forgot his name). His story is certainly an interesting factor for a s2. Is that in the novels?

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 16th May 2022, 10:40 AM
Post #18
Group icon

Putting the answer to that in spoilers! -
In the novels he is always an antagonist who never shows remorse, or any desire to be a better person. I wonder if they'll give him more depth in the TV series and possibly a redemptive arc? Personally I feel like there's more ground to explore with somebody who is clearly very self-hating, than for him to simply be a villain!

UK Netflix Top 10 TV Shows - Daily
23/04: #04
24/04: #04
25/04: #04
26/04: #03
27/04: #03
28/04: #03
29/04: #03
30/04: #04
01/05: #04
02/05: #04
03/05: #04
04/05: #03
05/05: #02
06/05: #02
07/05: #03
08/05: #03
09/05: #03
10/05: #05
11/05: #05
12/05: #07
13/05: #10
14/05: #08
15/05: #08

+Quote this post
inactiveaccount
post 17th May 2022, 03:55 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

the one thing i hate about tv shows is the redemption / justified arc. just make them a goddamn villain.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 20th May 2022, 04:40 PM
Post #20
Group icon

Officially renewed for season 2 AND 3!! wub.gif

+Quote this post