BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> How many laptops have you had?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
# of laptops you've owned
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 51
Guests cannot vote 
m
post Oct 4 2017, 04:07 PM
Post #1
Group icon
I asked for my account to be banned
User: 7,132
Bit of a random one but hey - I've seen randomer! magic.gif

Just curious to see where others are at with this cos I'm still on my first ever laptop. I was a bit of a #latebloomer when it came to having my own laptop as I only ever had shared home computers until I was 20. I was very low maintenance when it came to these things so it wasn't until 2011 that I finally decided to get my very own lappy. My Sony Vaio has had its fair share of annoying problems over the years but overall I'm still very happy with my baby as it's been pretty good overall. I'm getting slightly apprehensive though because it's six years old now and I think that's quite old for a laptop?

vote. discuss. share.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
lewistgreen
post Oct 4 2017, 04:09 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: he/him
User: 19,585
Got my first laptop in 2007 I think it was. It barely lasted just over a year, I think it conked out 2 or 3 days after the guarantee had ended which was fabulous laugh.gif

I had one more for A-Levels which then stopped working and so got a new one for going to university, which slowly packed up too! I got my most recent one in 2014 which is more of a notebook than a laptop because it's tiny, however last year I reverted back to a desktop (all-in-one) which I adore using #retro

It's surprising how quickly they just slow down and clog up because with the money that you pay for them, I expect a bit of longevity!

How have you had yours since 2011 Mattias? Teach me your secrets!

This post has been edited by LewisTScream: Oct 4 2017, 04:11 PM

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post Oct 4 2017, 04:12 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Former iconic poster with no consistent posting style
Pronouns: Don't take em seriously tbh
User: 21,005
2 iirc! My first was when I was 13 and replaced it about 3 years ago. I can't remember the model etc.

I now have Lenovo E530C which is going... ok laugh.gif it's mostly just the internet speed which is shite so I can't really judge otherwise

+Quote this post
Brer
post Oct 4 2017, 04:15 PM
Post #4
Group icon
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
User: 8,300
Technically 2, I had one when I was younger but I pretty much never used it (apart from a couple of times when we went on holiday), I still used a PC right up until I left for uni and needed to have a laptop, and I still have the same laptop 2 years later. I haven't had any issues with it in terms of slowing down etc. as of yet, at least not that I've noticed. The battery on it is a bit shite but that's not really much of an issue as I just keep it plugged in whenever I use it (which is probably why the battery is so terrible lol).

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post Oct 4 2017, 04:17 PM
Post #5
Group icon
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
User: 21,666
Two. One of them was an HP hand-me-down from my sister, another is a TOSHIBA (the one I have used since the end of December 2015)

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post Oct 4 2017, 04:18 PM
Post #6
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561
I've had my MacBook Pro since October 2008 - so coming up to nine years!

The one before that was a clunky Dell that I got around 2003 I think, so in answer to your question - 2.

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post Oct 4 2017, 04:19 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Former iconic poster with no consistent posting style
Pronouns: Don't take em seriously tbh
User: 21,005
QUOTE(28 Brays Later @ Oct 4 2017, 05:15 PM) *
Technically 2, I had one when I was younger but I pretty much never used it (apart from a couple of times when we went on holiday), I still used a PC right up until I left for uni and needed to have a laptop, and I still have the same laptop 2 years later. I haven't had any issues with it in terms of slowing down etc. as of yet, at least not that I've noticed. The battery on it is a bit shite but that's not really much of an issue as I just keep it plugged in whenever I use it (which is probably why the battery is so terrible lol).
yeah I ran this battery health test thingy and it was around 70% of its original capacity

+Quote this post
m
post Oct 4 2017, 04:24 PM
Post #8
Group icon
I asked for my account to be banned
User: 7,132
QUOTE(LewisTScream @ Oct 4 2017, 05:09 PM) *
How have you had yours since 2011 Mattias? Teach me your secrets!

tbh I'm just as surprised as you that it's lasted this long really - I think I just "stumbled upon" a good one! Although like I said, it's had its fair share of technical glitches and problems but nothing too major really... The battery is pretty shit now though magic.gif I think it lasts just over an hour or something.

+Quote this post
Jade
post Oct 4 2017, 04:25 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
I am still on my first laptop just like you Mattias! I used all two incarnations of the family desktop for about a decade until I got my own laptop for Christmas 2013! This is a Macbook Pro which is a pretty wonderful (albeit expensive) first ever laptop. Four years later and it still works alright minus a few of the keys not working kink.gif but I just use an Apple replacement keyboard.

+Quote this post
Cameron
post Oct 4 2017, 04:27 PM
Post #10
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*
User: 18,061
I've had about 5 :/

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Oct 4 2017, 04:29 PM
Post #11
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
User: 3,217
I've been using laptops since around 2004... I can't remember precisely how many I've had! Maybe my current one is the 6th or 7th? drama.gif The laptops I had in the 2000s would typically break within 18 months, 2 years tops.

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post Oct 4 2017, 04:31 PM
Post #12
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895
I said 2 but I guess I should have gone for 3 as I now have one of those tablet/laptop combo things in addition to my main laptop which I've had since 2013 or so. I always make sure everything is set up just so, as soon as I buy it, so that it will be as long-lasting as possible.

I don't see myself replacing this one for a good few years yet either.

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post Oct 4 2017, 04:38 PM
Post #13
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674
I used a family desktop computer from around Christmas 2005 (although it took my Dad until the following summer to get the Internet set up) until about May 2013 when I got my first laptop, and I'm still using the same one over four years later. Did have to take it into a repair shop and get it put back to factory settings I think, less than a year after I'd bought it, but aside from the battery being utter crap these days, I don't have much issue with it and am in no rush to get a replacement!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Oct 4 2017, 04:41 PM
Post #14
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
User: 13,530
I'm only on my first, and even then I've only had it since 2015 and use it very sparingly (its main use is when I'm on holiday lol). At home, I use a desktop - would've migrated to my laptop by now I think but my grandad "donated" his old computer to me, with Windows 10 and everything, so I've been using that for a few months now!

+Quote this post
Silas
post Oct 4 2017, 05:31 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474
Ive had 5. My first one lasted like a week. Then died. So back that went to PC world. The replacement lasted 2.5 years then it's replacement about the same. Then I switched to MacBooks. First one lasted 3 and a bit years. Then the hard drive needed replaced and trying to migrate everything over and reinstall MacOS and everything was painful AF and I gave up and bought a new one instead kink.gif Had this over 2 years now and it's still going strong.

+Quote this post
Colm
post Oct 4 2017, 05:38 PM
Post #16
Group icon
Yes, it's me.
User: 9,885
3 laptops, a netbook, 2 desktops and a tablet.

Currently still in use - 1 desktop and one laptop

This post has been edited by Colm: Oct 4 2017, 05:39 PM

+Quote this post
mdh
post Oct 4 2017, 05:45 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,776
I've got a Mac desktop computer in my room, but for 99% of stuff I just use my Chromebook now. I've got three of them (they've all been gifts lol. as if i could afford to buy my own laptop) and my favourite is a touchscreen one with a battery life of ~8 hours - it's fell off my bed about 50 times and I've fell asleep on it loads too yet it seems indestructible so I reckon I'll have this for a while.

+Quote this post
mdh
post Oct 4 2017, 05:47 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,776
oh, and @ people that use a desktop and don't have a laptop - is it not a pain in the arse to be sitting straight up whenever you want to watch browse or do something for a long period of time?? it's FAR more comfy to browse on my bed

+Quote this post
T Boy
post Oct 4 2017, 05:54 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177
Only 3. I have tablets now.

+Quote this post
Jacob-
post Oct 4 2017, 06:52 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Jacob Alan~
User: 21,664
Got a really nice desktop, paid a fair bit for it initially but it's lasted 3 and a half years so far and shows no sign of slowing down. Will need to replace the graphics card at some point, maybe in a year or so but beyond that I can see this thing lasting for another good 5 years minimum. I've got dual screens and I love them, it also functions as my "console" basically because I can run pretty much any game you can throw at it smoothly.

Had my own laptop once and I was going to have it at the same time as my current desktop but about a month before I built the desktop it fell of my desk while charging (I was moving a box which yanked the cable) and the charger dug into the power button area, forever killing it. I recovered the hard disk but beyond that it wasn't worth fixing, was already slowing down and Iz had sold it on to me in the first place. The main advantage of a laptop is obviously the portability which would be useful if I was going away somewhere for a couple of days or more, or for uni. I'm thinking of getting a MacBook both for uni/ music reasons and for the portability reason to go alongside my desktop (will be extremely useful for when I travel - I just use my tablet at the moment which is functional for most but not all things, particularly uni related stuff) but MacBooks are ridiculously expensive so I'm still in the "thinking about it" stage. laugh.gif

So the answer is 1 if we're strictly talking about laptops and it wasn't even new. Before my current one I had a shared desktop that I had a stake in, bought with both my brothers when we were kids (well I was 13, didn't get my own personal computer until like 17 haha although because everyone else got laptops before me I was the only one still using the old desktop for a while) but before that it was just family desktops.
QUOTE(jessie j @ Oct 4 2017, 06:47 PM) *
oh, and @ people that use a desktop and don't have a laptop - is it not a pain in the arse to be sitting straight up whenever you want to watch browse or do something for a long period of time?? it's FAR more comfy to browse on my bed
Comfy spinny chairs are the answer. x

Also re browsing in bed that's what iPads are for m8. They're also not heat machines like laptops, I find that tablets are just as functional as laptops for general browsing, watching videos etc with the slight disadvantage of not having an actual keyboard to type quickly with and without certain programs of course.

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:36 PM