BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rocket League, ROCKET. POWERED. CARS.
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Jacob-
post Oct 21 2018, 09:42 PM
Post #1
Jacob Alan~
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,664
   No Gallery Pics

So who else here plays the best game ever? ohmy.gif

It's cross platform so PC, XBox, Playstation and Nintendo Switch players can all play together! If you haven't heard of it (in which case where have you been? x) Rocket League is a game that is essentially football (or a couple other game modes but mostly football) with Rocket Powered Cars and it makes the game of Football 100x better. Obviously there are a few other differences like you can't hit the ball out bc you're in a completely walled off stadium but forget about that IT'S ROCKET POWERED CARS.

It can be played with 1-4 players per side but it works best with 2 or 3 (lots of lucky goals with 1 and no teamwork and 4 is just a mess x). You can start playing straight away and having fun with it but getting good at it can take a lil while, perfecting aerial hits, controlling your car and learning to read the physics takes time and tbh I'm still not that good at it, I have my great moments but that's set off by the screw ups I still make (most of my competitive ranks are still in Gold, a couple still in Silver ew x) but I LOVE it. Honestly, such a unique game and one of the best discoveries of the past year for me. It was released in 2015- still has a thriving user base with updates still regularly being rolled out.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post Oct 21 2018, 11:59 PM
Post #2
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929
   No Gallery Pics

I’m no good at it but I will have to see how well this will work when I get a computer and properly back into gaming. I know there’s a skill to it but mostly I just have fun messing about and probably losing the game.

+Quote Post
Dircadirca
post Oct 22 2018, 07:09 AM
Post #3
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 19,614
   No Gallery Pics

I love me some Rocket League. Re-installed it about a month ago and have been playing it heaps again. I'm even a high diamond rank (I think I got up to Champion I in a previous season) in 2v2's despite being pretty rubbish at aerials. Have no idea what keeps me competing against people who have such a better grasp of the mechanics.

It's pretty natural for a multiplayer game but the community is unfortunately so toxic, with a reporting system that doesn't seem to even do anything. I also swear the meta-game has shifted a lot since I last played, you rarely play a game without at least one instance of a player intentionally trying to demolish you to free up space in goal. It's fun to jump over them to make them look like a doofus but depending on the situation it can leave the goal just as open.

Also, 2 of my stupidest effective saves in a row, nursed on 0 boost. We had a 1 goal lead to keep and we sure did somehow tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Jacob-
post Oct 22 2018, 11:54 PM
Post #4
Jacob Alan~
   No Gallery Pics

Daammn, I aspire to be at your level tbh. Play with me and drag my rank up plz xx.

Not sure why I just can't quite get above where I'm at, on Gold 3 division 4 in 3v3s atm but I'm scared to touch it in case I go down and I tend to save that for when I'm playing in a group. I'm still in Silver for 3v3 solo and 1v1. Idk what it is with my play, I can get off some great hits but I still miss balls, mistime aerials and make bad judgements when I really shouldn't. Been finding running around in freeplay for 5 minutes before I go into a match can do wonders for my games, just getting a feel for the physics and learning to expect how the ball bounces. When I was in there for 15 mins and went straight into a game I got saviour and a hatrick and single handedly won us the game in a 3v3 haha. A lot of it's mental attitude as well, mind games play a big role in how you play (and of course ping spikes can sometimes throw me right off).

The community can be pretty toxic unfortunately but usually it's easy enough to ignore them if you don't take them too seriously. Every now and then you'll get some (presumedly) 12 year old mouthing off at you for messing something up (and they're almost always invariably playing worse) but for over half of games I find people just stick to the preset chat anyway. I'm guilty of passive aggressive "What a Save!"s every now and then to be a dick but usually only if the other player did so first. #titfortat

QUOTE(All Seeing I @ Oct 22 2018, 12:59 AM) *
I’m no good at it but I will have to see how well this will work when I get a computer and properly back into gaming. I know there’s a skill to it but mostly I just have fun messing about and probably losing the game.
Gutted I was taking a mini break while you were still around/ playing it a bit, should've played some together. When you get a PC again you should definitely play some with me and Chris (our cousin), assuming we can work around the timezones and the servers aren't horrible with you being so far. If it doesn't work out absolutely definitely when you're back in the UK in the indeterminate future. We play 2v2 all the time atm, he's probs better than me but we're used to each others playstyles and I'm pretty good at centring in the ball for him so I've earned myself a fair few playmakers. You can get better quite quickly with a bit of practice, you'll need a proper mouse though obvs, trackpad won't do. x

+Quote Post
Dircadirca
post Oct 23 2018, 07:47 AM
Post #5
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

The problem is that when you have an unevenly ranked team, you'll still end up facing a team that balances out the same tongue.gif

Being at the top of a rank is a good position to be in because you don't need to worry too much about losing rank. Since your opposition gradually gets easier the more times you lose, you end up stuck in the same place anyway, unless you're just in a bad rut (which I'm all too familiar with). I find it most stressful to be at the bottom of a rank, they usually make you play against people who are a rank below you. The biggest worry though is that every now and then, you'll get someone smurfing and end up just losing with no real chance. It's worth noting though that the ranks aren't exactly balanced between the different categories. It's much harder to get a high rank in 1v1 & 3v3 solo because a lot of people won't touch them (compared to 2v2 which everyone plays). I'm stuck in Plat III in 1v1, and I'd be even lower in 3v3 solo if I ever got matched up into them. I dunno if it's better in other regions but pretty much no one seems to play it here laugh.gif

The best advice I can think of in general is to not play too aggressively. I have a habit of over-exerting and it can be very costly when it doesn't work out. The most simple thing I find that hardly anyone seems to do is that in 2v2's, if your team mate is doing the kick off, then absolutely stay in front of the goal until the ball is cleared away. So many people rush straight to the 100% boost panels on the side leaving the goal wide open should anything go wrong with the kick off. It's also super annoying when they'll take both of the 100% boost panels on one side of the map, because it leaves nothing for the player doing the kick off. As you say, a lot of toxic players are quick to place the blame on you if you miss a save, but will completely overlook the less tangible mistakes they're making, not to mention diverting all blame if you both go for the same hit, because kids are kids. Team mates who passive aggressive spam 'Okay.' can bugger off tho x.

I'll also say that learning aerials can be surprisingly organic. You start off getting occasional shots off the wall, or boosting extra high to stop a front on shot, and then without even realising it, you're now suddenly leaping halfway across the map to intercept a shot before it's even been made. I only wish I knew how to control the ball mid-air like so many people do. It's probably not as hard as I think but I just can't do it ~

+Quote Post
Jacob-
post Oct 23 2018, 11:50 PM
Post #6
Jacob Alan~
   No Gallery Pics

I always stay in goal if I'm in the centre in 2v2s (or even 3v3s if no one else is staying back) so already got that down! Got a fair few easy saves that way. Good to know I'm not going insane thinking 3v3 solo is harder, I just can't stand seeing the lower rank on it really so I want to clear it up but I'm in a bit of a rut atm so it just makes it worse. Yeah controlling it midair is horrible, almost never got that down. Coming off the wall is still difficult for me because I really need to practice it but it's hard to get enough repetition on it. My most common mistake with aerials generally is either going too high or boosting for the ball at the wrong angle which isn't so easily adjustable once you're airborne, also trying to judge where/ when opponents will hit it. I try to balance my playstyle but I've done the thing where I've been too defensive and not gone for balls I really should've (because I thought I was too aggressive sometimes), means I'm fairly decent in goal but with the right hit a single player can be beaten without too much trouble so it's better to keep it up their end if possible. It makes a huge difference if you know your teammates and communicate well so you know who's where, who's defending, which shots are taken etc.

Honestly Diamond level is insanely good, I've played a few games with diamond players because one of the people I've played with a bit is a diamond and the kind of shots people make scare me tbh. Like I kept up with play well enough and played my part but at my current skill level I wouldn't be able to compete if I didn't have those amazing team mates.

+Quote Post
Flowerpunkchip
post Oct 26 2018, 03:32 PM
Post #7
New Entry
Member No.: 77,853
   No Gallery Pics

sounds crazy this game... must try it

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post May 3 2019, 04:57 AM
Post #8
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929
   No Gallery Pics

As a result of the developer being bought out by current antagonists Epic Games, this may be leaving Steam despite it being one of their bestsellers.

Epic Games, man. Scourge of the gaming world.

+Quote Post
Dircadirca
post May 3 2019, 03:44 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

I'm mad at Epic, but I'm also mad at Valve for being so complacent as to let this keep happening.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:15 PM