BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Artist News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Oh Father vs Papa Don't Preach
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Oh Father vs Papa Don't Preach
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 11
Guests cannot vote 
HausofKubrick
post Mar 22 2016, 08:09 PM
Post #1
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,007

Pretty obvious connection here: Madonna and daddy issues.

First up we have the fourth single taken from 'Like A Prayer', Oh Father. The song is a soaring ballad, emotionally charged and rampant with sadness and pain. Directed by David Fincher, the music video explores Madonna trying to come to terms with the death of her mother and adds even more depth to the pain and sorrow felt throughout the song. After the death of her mother Madonna struggled and her relationship with her father slowly began to disintegrate after he remarried. The strength between the two eventually disappeared and it turned to anger. It was through this that she learnt to stand up on her own and not be heartbroken anymore.

In contrast to the raw emotion of the former, Papa Don't Preach is more sprightly but also deals with heavy issues of control and father figures. It's less personal that the other song but carries a global message of self-belief and being in control of oneself. It caused controversy towards several groups, religious groups, abortion organisations and woman rights campaigners took some offence to the liberal sexuality that is promoted but I think it can now be firmly seen as a totally empowering and important song by most. It's Madonna once again standing up against the male figures that seeked to control her identity, this time through the metaphor of her "father".

Which song do you feel more strongly towards?

Vote for your favourite one in the poll and comment in the thread below! Also discuss any other favourite songs or lyrics that relate to these.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
vibe
post Mar 22 2016, 08:21 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 11,763
   No Gallery Pics

Both are amazing but Oh Father is one of her best for me !!!

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post Mar 22 2016, 08:28 PM
Post #3
Break the tension
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

'Papa Don't Preach', for me it's one of her key iconic moments and the message of it is so powerful. Plus it's a storming tune to boot.

+Quote Post
post Mar 22 2016, 08:31 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Members
Member No.: 19,931

'Papa Don't Preach' is one of the most well crafted and hard-hitting pop songs of all time.

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Mar 22 2016, 08:37 PM
Post #5

I would've gone for 'Papa Don't Preach' if this poll was made at any other time in the past but this past month 'Oh Father' has hit me like a train. It's so raw and heartbreaking and honest and it can now effortlessly bring me to tears. I voted 'Oh Father' because I enjoy listening to it more right now but 'Papa...' is a classic song in so many ways so it's a tough, tough decision.

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Mar 22 2016, 11:53 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

Has to be 'Oh Father' for me. It hit me right in the feels the moment I heard it and watched the video and does so to this date when I'm feeling low. Beautiful melody, lyrics and vocals; makes a real special moment on its respective album and leaves me thinking about the song long after it has finished.

'Papa Don't Preach' is also fantastic - Joe hit the nail on the head that this is a really well-crafted, solid pure pop song and showed that even pop can take on tricky issues with a successful impact. That intro is everything too. In fact, all the True Blue singles had the right opening melodies to keep you hooked to the song.

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Mar 25 2016, 05:06 PM
Post #7

Thought this would have had a few more votes ohmy.gif 'Papa Don't Preach' has overtaken now but it's one of the closest polls we've had!

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Mar 26 2016, 07:35 PM
Post #8
Mansonette
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

I'm listening to my Madge compilation on iTunes and these two actually run on from each other, Papa Don't Preach first which I love and thought I really should have voted for after all... and then Oh Father came on and it just blows it out of the water and I realise that I originally voted correctly, it's very possibly her best ever ballad, it just SOARS when that chorus hits you.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:11 AM