BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Meghan Trainor Singles Rate: THE RESULTS., Full results on pg.3!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Jessie Where
post 13th May 2020, 04:03 PM
Post #21
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

'Marvin Gaye' is a true abomination.

'Better' is fairly good.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Andrew.
post 13th May 2020, 08:03 PM
Post #22
Group icon
is in hibernation
User: 21,161

Going up to the top 8 tonight!

Given this didn't make any album, Meghan probably thinks it's right this didn't make the top 10 wink.gif

12. Let You Be Right
Average: 6.70

Kiss me at the next traffic light: SamJudd (11) Andrew., UltraReputation, JosephStyles (9)
Stupid and foolish: Dexton (-1) Tawdry Hepburn (2)

Continuing the slow-but-steady rise in averages is 'Let You Be Right'! *.* Released along with 'Can't Dance' after 'No Excuses' for the original version of her third album, it actually got a video. This sadly didn't pay off much as it became her first pre-album single to miss the US Hot 100, only charting in Belgium. It's a shame this song did so badly, No Excuses wasn't a hit but at least charted in most countries. It was snubbed by Radio 1 though (No Excuses was B-listed I THINK?) and like all her post 'NO' singles, received little in the way of support from Spotify. sad.gif

It would've been nice if this could at least have averaged 7/10, it's scores were in general a fair bit better then Better and Can't Dance (this got ten scores of 8+ while Can't Dance got 4 and Better 7) but the -1 dragged it down a fair bit, welp. This is an absolute beauty and would come 3rd on Treat Myself if it was on there sad.gif The funky electro pop is perfect for her and her voice is so delicate and beautiful on the verses <3

+Quote this post
Andrew.
post 13th May 2020, 08:08 PM
Post #23
Group icon
is in hibernation

One more of these songs will miss the top 10. What's it gonna be ohmy.gif

All About That Bass
Lips Are Movin
Dear Future Husband
Like I'm Gonna Lose You (feat. John Legend)NO

NO
Me Too

No Excuses
Wave (feat. Mike Sabbath)
Nice To Meet Ya (feat. Nicki Minaj)

Just Got Paid (with Sigala, Ella Eyre & French Montana)
With You (with Kaskade)

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 13th May 2020, 08:19 PM
Post #24
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

OMG 'Hey DJ' is SO low! sad.gif Really should be top 10! What a banger!

This is going pretty much as I expected though, for the most part. I'm gonna guess 'Wave' and 'With You' will be the next ones to fall.

+Quote this post
Andrew.
post 13th May 2020, 11:51 PM
Post #25
Group icon
is in hibernation

What will miss out on the top 10 ohmy.gif

Back to the collaborations after a five song gap......

11. With You (with Kaskade)
Average: 6.83

Let you into my head: JulianNial, dannjohn (9) Andrew., Commander Cody (8.5)
Wasting my time with you: George.keh (4.5) ...ready for it, Nick F1, SamJudd, sorryisslayed, TomHo (5)

The final song missing out on a top 10 spot is 'With You', a collaboration with DJ and producer Kaskade who had a #14 hit with 'I Remember' in 2008. Sadly I do not remember kink.gif Kaskade said it was an 'easy yes' when the opportunity of working with Meghan came about. This is Meghan's most recent non-album collab to date, fingers crossed for more dance songs from her in the future ohmy.gif

I'm pleased this beat the other relatively unknown songs from this rate. It is a BOP and a half, it sounds like it could've been a hit as well! Like the last few songs it got lots of 6's and 7's but less low scores which is what pushes it above them.

Top 10 time....

+Quote this post
Andrew.
post 13th May 2020, 11:52 PM
Post #26
Group icon
is in hibernation

Our top 10:
All About That Bass
Dear Future Husband
Just Got Paid (with Sigala, Ella Eyre & French Montana)
Like I'm Gonna Lose You (feat. John Legend)
Lips Are Movin
Me Too
NO
Nice To Meet Ya (feat. Nicki Minaj)
No Excuses
Wave (feat. Mike Sabbath)

10 SONGS cheeseblock.png Any surprises?

+Quote this post
Riser
post 14th May 2020, 02:19 AM
Post #27
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534

I'm surprised at Wave being this high!

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 14th May 2020, 12:04 PM
Post #28
Group icon

Switch out 'Wave' for 'Hey DJ' and we have the perfect top 10 for Meghan.

+Quote this post
Andrew.
post 14th May 2020, 05:59 PM
Post #29
Group icon
is in hibernation

Top 10 time, woo a bop x

This is the first single to drop out.......

10. All About That Bass
Average: 7.20

Perfect from the bottom to the top: UltraReputation, JulianNial, J00psyMethyd, Commander Cody (10) Joseph Styles, WinterFreeze (9)
Go 'head and move along: George.keh (-1) Tawdry Hepburn (2)

Do I even need to tell you about this song? 'All About This Bass' was released as Meghan's first major label single on the 30th of June 2014. Since then it's become one of the biggest songs of all time, being certified DIAMOND in America, 9x platinum in Australia and 8x platinum in Canada. When will your fave? In the UK it was also a huge #1, comfortably exceeding a million copies (and not far off a million in pure sales either *.*). The song inevitably is polarising, but it deffo got people engaged with almost 2.4 million views on YouTube. It's not actually in her top five on Spotify anymore coming in at #9, so is it maybe not as fondly remembered as before? No matter what it's still an iconic song no matter what you think of it.

I know this divides opinion but I was shocked to see it come in below every other single from Title, and all but one single from Treat Myself ohmy.gif It didn't even receive LOADS of low scores (although if you exclude the -1 it's actually #8) but lots of 7/8s. For me, I can't lie and say I go back to this a lot but I can't deny it brings me joy (Amelia Lily spent her monthly earnings paying me to use that phrasing x) every time I hear it so it felt wrong to give it less than an 8. It reminds me of a happy, simple time in life when I was discovering pop culture. I think a lot of people secretly like this wrong as much as they'd say otherwise kink.gif

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 14th May 2020, 08:14 PM
Post #30
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

Her only instantly recognisable song for me tbh

Expect to see Nice To Meet Ya out soon simply bc of the Nicki haters

+Quote this post
Cameron
post 14th May 2020, 08:16 PM
Post #31
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*
User: 18,061

Tbh I think AATB has aged quite badly compared to the rest of Title.

+Quote this post
George.keh
post 14th May 2020, 08:21 PM
Post #32
Group icon
#VoteGarden.Keh
User: 32,047

DREADFUL song

+Quote this post
Andrew.
post 14th May 2020, 08:49 PM
Post #33
Group icon
is in hibernation

We're saying goodbye now to.....

A legendary ballad ohmy.gif

9. Like I'm Gonna Lose You (feat. John Legend)
Average: 7.39

I'll kiss you longer: Jonjo (11) JulianNial, WinterFreeze (10)
Every broken heart knows: TomHo (1) dannjohn (4)

'Like I'm Gonna Lose You' was released as the 4th and final single from 'Title'! It randomly hit #1 in Australia (we slay a 19-5-1 post-album single chart run cheeseblock.png) but in most places it did well, and I think it's the 2nd best selling single in America! It bizarrely flopped at the time in the UK only reaching #99, but it's still gone Gold here which shows it's remembered well enough despite the peak (a bit like Rih's 'Love on the Brain'). It's actually her most played song on Spotify at the moment, is it on loads of playlists or what? laugh.gif 'Me Too' is 2nd despite being royally snubbed by them at it's release *.* Clearly it's held up well in people's affections!

I've paid this ABSOLUTE DUST over the years but it's actually a really lovely song :') I don't know why at all, it's just nothing I've ever really gone back to! I kinda forgot the whole Title album after 2016, I do think Thank You is better but that's another subject kink.gif I'd put it a bit lower but it didn't have lots of mega high or low scores, it's pretty universally regarded as a decent song by most people.

Probably two more results coming tonight! Any guesses?

+Quote this post
Andrew.
post 14th May 2020, 09:15 PM
Post #34
Group icon
is in hibernation

I am the ordainer of Buzzjack's wedding to this song cheeseblock.png

Turns out it's a divorce oops

8. Dear Future Husband
Average: 7.39

Take me on a date: Billy., Andrew., UltraReputation, Cameron, Joseph Styles, Jordan Lee, Wall (10) JulianNial, WinterFreeze (9)
Why, why disagree?: TomHo (1) George.keh (2)

Three 'Title' singles in a row out! ohmy.gif 'Dear Future Husband' was the third single from the album. The song, which has been heavily compared to Olly's 'Dance With Me Tonight' (they even did a mashup of it on The Voice this year laugh.gif) was another decent hit for Meghan, peaking at #12 in the US and at #20 in the UK despite being snubbed from the Radio One playlist which I'm still not over. The song and (especially) the video received some criticism for upholding sexist stereotypes and I get it but disagree. I don't think it's a song that should be heavily read into. Just 0.19 averaging All About That Bass, Like I'm Gonna Lose You and this though, we love a consistent legend!

I love this wub.gif Yeah the Olly comparisons are real but I prefer this, it just has that carefree fun vibe that Meghan always encapsulates so well. It's kinda sad it didn't do better, I was expecting top 5! The taste isn't real.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 14th May 2020, 10:24 PM
Post #35
Group icon

THE TOP 10 IS A MESS WTF!?

'Wave' above DFH AND LIGLY? Nahhhhh.

I knew LIGLY wouldn't win, but I was hoping top 5 at least sad.gif One of my favourite pop ballads in recent (ish!) years! I'm really surprised 'Wave' is so high tearsmile.gif

+Quote this post
George.keh
post 14th May 2020, 10:33 PM
Post #36
Group icon
#VoteGarden.Keh
User: 32,047

Dear Future Husband is also dreadful yikes

+Quote this post
Riser
post 15th May 2020, 12:47 AM
Post #37
Group icon

The Title-era singles dropping out back-to-back-to-back cheeseblock.png But I'm glad Lips Are Movin' finished highest out of them!

+Quote this post
Andrew.
post 15th May 2020, 01:51 AM
Post #38
Group icon
is in hibernation

QUOTE(Riser @ May 15 2020, 01:47 AM) *
The Title-era singles dropping out back-to-back-to-back cheeseblock.png But I'm glad Lips Are Movin' finished highest out of them!

back-to-back-to-back-to-back cheeseblock.png

7. Lips Are Movin'
Average: 7.83

I come from outer space: ...ready for it, Riser (11) UltraReputation, Commander Cody (10)
I know you lyin': TomHo (2) sorryisslayed (5.5)

Meghan's second single, 'Lips are Movin' was another smash for her. Not on the level of AATB but it went top 10 in almost every major territory, setting her up very well for Title! The song is less polarising than her debut single which we can see in it's score that only two people gave it less than a 6. It follows the same doo-wop style as AATB but is more conventionally pop if that makes sense, not that AATB is some observe masterpiece but still laugh.gif

I'm not sure what to say on this other than it's a fun bop which is deserving of a place in the top 10, like the other Title singles I haven't revisited it hugely until recently (need to give the whole thing a spin) but that doesn't make it any less enjoyable for me. It is kinda shocking that not ONE song from by far her most successful album has made the top 6! They do be falling like Dominos.

+Quote this post
Riser
post 15th May 2020, 02:16 AM
Post #39
Group icon

Okay that's just not fair. cry.gif

+Quote this post
Tombo
post 15th May 2020, 01:47 PM
Post #40
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,543

The Title singles are some of her worst so I'm not sad to see them dropping like flies.

I'm also glad Better was so low as it is just awful.

+Quote this post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 12:18 AM