BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Lorde Rate ● Pure Melodrama RESULTS
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
lotita
post Oct 27 2020, 08:32 PM
Post #21
Group icon
feminist icon
Pronouns: she/her
User: 21,777
omg bravado deserves better (although I forgot to vote so I will blame it on me x)
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Brer
post Oct 27 2020, 08:40 PM
Post #22
Group icon
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
User: 8,300
Wow Lotti even I remembered to vote xxx

'A World Alone' is definitely a song I have grown to appreciate more over time - iirc it was my least favourite song on 'Pure Heroine' to begin with! I have seen someone pointing out that nice touch of the first and last lyrics on the album before ~

Definitely too soon for 'Sober II (Melodrama)' to be out </3 comfortably the superior of the two Sobers imo!

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Oct 27 2020, 09:06 PM
Post #23
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160
A World Alone is glorious wub.gif

Meltdown deserved higher but it probably did better than I expected!

+Quote this post
✖ leww ✖
post Oct 27 2020, 09:52 PM
Post #24
Group icon
escape in the taste of summerrrrrr
User: 9,403
"Meltdown" did deserve higher but it wasn't going to get it I'm afraid so I'll take that!

+Quote this post
dhwe
post Oct 29 2020, 11:14 AM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 21,384
1. "my loneliness is killing me" -> "my loneliness ain't killing me no more"
2. "don't you think that it's boring how people talk?" -> "let 'em talk"
3. "hit me baby one more time" -> "I need a hit, baby give me it"

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Oct 31 2020, 02:39 PM
Post #26
Group icon
User: 13,007

15. Glory And Gore ~ 8.15
16. Yellow Flicker Beat ~ 8.11
17. Hard Feelings/Loveless ~ 8.00

I'm a princess cut from marble

Into the 8+ averages now! First out it's Melodrama's Hard Feelings/Loveless, a song about heartbreak and social issues around love. The song draws many influences including a voice sample taken from a documentary about Paul Simon's 1986 album Graceland, and a drum solo from Phil Collins' 1981 song 'In the Air Tonight'. The two parts of the song juxtapose falling out of love with a more wider epidemic of love facing her generation. The industrial production explodes throughout the song and this counteracts Lorde's humble and subdued vocals. We also lose Yellow Flicker Beat, the lead single from The Hunger Games soundtrack and featured during the film's closing credits. The song is about the Katniss from the Hunger Games and her rise as a heroine. A minimalist song with Lorde's haunting vocals over it. Finally, from the debut, we say goodbye to Glory And Gore, the fourth single taken from the album. An electro-pop infused hip-hop song, it is about a disdain towards modern culture's emphasis on violence, and this is explored by comparing celebrity culture to gladiators in combat. The song was featured during an advertisement for the TV show Vikings.

+Quote this post
Brer
post Oct 31 2020, 05:54 PM
Post #27
Group icon
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
User: 8,300
'Hard Feelings / Loveless' is kind of a tough one for me to rate, I wish they were just 2 separate songs as I enjoy the second half a fair bit more than the first half although both halves are still among the weaker parts of the album for me so the song as a whole feels a little on the overrated side. 17th here probably a fair position though.

Surprised at 'Yellow Flicker Beat' not making the top 10 here but at least it is rightfully the highest of the Hunger Games songs!

'Glory And Gore' comfortably my favourite album track off 'Pure Heroine', always thought of it as like a sister track to 'Tennis Court' sonically <3

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Oct 31 2020, 07:41 PM
Post #28
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
For some reason it didn’t click that it was a Phil Collins sample oops!

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Nov 1 2020, 06:25 PM
Post #29
Group icon

12. Buzzcut Season ~ 8.50
13. Writer In The Dark ~ 8.47
14. Magnets [Disclosure featuring Lorde] ~ 8.26

I live in a hologram with you

Next out it's the fourth single from Disclosure's 2nd album Caracal, Magnets. The song is about the risk taken by two lovers restricted from being together. It's a techno/electro pop number with Lorde's signature vocals floating above the tinny instrumentation. After previously collaborating at the Brits for a rework of 'Royals', the two artists came together again shortly after to record this. The dramatic music video shows Lorde as a hit-woman hired to hunt down adulterous men. We also lose Writer In The Dark the piano ballad from Melodrama. In the song, Lorde tells her ex-lover, that she will always be in love with him but that she must move forwards and find a way to be without him. Her pain is felt throughout the vocals and the simple, yet effective lyrics. It is Lorde's parting words with a lover after leaving them and having final words to say, words that state that she will continue on and move past the heartbreak. Finally, Buzzcut Season draws to a close, a tropical number from the debut about the "ridiculousness of modern life". It merges the horrors of modern day war with a youthful generation trying to find their way in the world. The melancholic vibe of the song is both mournful but also haunting and damning.

+Quote this post
Klumzee
post Nov 1 2020, 06:36 PM
Post #30
Group icon
#TeamAnneMarie
User: 11,421
QUOTE(HausofHitchcock @ Nov 1 2020, 06:25 PM) *
Finally, Buzzcut Season draws to a close, a tropical number from the debut about the "ridiculousness of modern life". It merges the horrors of modern day war with a youthful generation trying to find their way in the world. The melancholic vibe of the song is both mournful but also haunting and damning.

Tropical or topical?

Lorde was doing bits before Kygo!

+Quote this post
✖ leww ✖
post Nov 1 2020, 06:48 PM
Post #31
Group icon
escape in the taste of summerrrrrr
User: 9,403
Buzzcut Season 💕

+Quote this post
dhwe
post Nov 1 2020, 11:23 PM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
"writer in the dark" is the best thing she's ever written imo, I had to give it my 11

+Quote this post
Jade
post Nov 1 2020, 11:28 PM
Post #33
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
'Yellow Flicker Beat' and 'Glory and Gore' are both huge favourites for me wub.gif the atmospheric nature of the former just slaps me round the face every time and I love the even darker edge on the Kanye version too. 'Glory and Gore' is one of the biggest choruses on her debut and a staple on my Halloween playlist *.*

'Writer in the Dark' is so gorgeous. The Kate Bush influence is evident. 'Magnets' was a refreshing career move in amongst her usual, fabulous, shtick <3

+Quote this post
Doug
post Nov 2 2020, 06:13 PM
Post #34
Group icon
I can't help that I need it all...
User: 9,410
Buzzcut Season is absolutely p e r f e c t and I'm sad to see it not make the top 10 but her discography is hardly flawed. White Teeth Teens is way too low though.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Nov 3 2020, 08:18 PM
Post #35
Group icon

11. Tennis Court ~ 8.53

We're so happy, even when we're smilin' out of fear

Just missing out on the top 10, in a bit of a shock (for me at least), it's the second single from Pure Heroine. Tennis Court is inspired by Lorde's fresh insights into the music industry, and it addresses her newfound fame and nostalgia for her hometown. The #1 single in New Zealand (and top 20 smash in Australia) features nostalgia from Lorde as she reminsices about her hometown and the change that she felt as she entered the world of music and saw how superficial it was as an industry. It's an beautifully sung piece, over a punching beat and together, through the merging of harsh and soft sounds, magic is created. There is a damning report of teenage celebrity culture in the song, whereby the singer falls apart and is merely watched on by passerbys and fans. The music video is equally as intriguing and has Lorde staring at the camera, alone on screen for the duration of the video. The one-shot video doesn't even include Lorde singing any of the lyrics (except the odd word here and there) and yet it is encapsulating and mesmerising. A huge song for Lorde, and yet it fails to make the top 10 here - are we shocked? Or is this merely testament to the strength of what is still to come...

+Quote this post
Jade
post Nov 3 2020, 08:20 PM
Post #36
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
My 11 stalling at #11 cry.gif before I saw any scores I would've been shocked but I did notice less loony marks for 'Tennis Court' compared to others unfortunately.

+Quote this post
Bjork
post Nov 3 2020, 08:54 PM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665
noooo impossible
that was my 11 (I think)... Tennis Court is Lorde at her best, can't believe it failed to make the top 10

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Nov 3 2020, 09:15 PM
Post #38
Group icon
TOP 10 (alphabetical order)

Green Light
Homemade Dynamite
Liability
The Louvre
Perfect Places
Ribs
Royals
Sober
Supercut
Team

Predict away / what has outdone predictions / what shouldn't be here / rank the top 10 etc

+Quote this post
dhwe
post Nov 3 2020, 09:20 PM
Post #39
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
don't feel like glimpsing through the votes but ribs is #1 def

thinking royals, team, liability, and green light will round out top 5

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Nov 3 2020, 09:20 PM
Post #40
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
I.... wouldn’t change any of that Top 10 really. Maybe Homemade Dynamite for Meltdown but excellent Top 10 on the whole.

I think the #2 position will be the most competitive!

Tennis Court is good but it’s never grabbed me in the same way as it has for others.

+Quote this post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:20 AM