BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

80 Pages V  « < 77 78 79 80 >  
This thread is locked.Create a new thread
> Robbie ' bits & pieces'
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Sydney11
post 1st March 2024, 03:35 PM
Post #1561
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,135

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post 2nd March 2024, 06:45 PM
Post #1562
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Robbie Williams is the artist that holds the record for the most BRIT Awards won. Robbie Williams has won 18 BRIT Awards . The 50-year-old singer has collected 18 prizes at the awards both as a solo artist and part of Take That, with the most recent win in November 2017 when he collected the Brits Icon Award.

+Quote this post
elisabeth1974
post 2nd March 2024, 07:22 PM
Post #1563
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 25,575

will he ever win one again? i guess, not. since years I do not know most of the winners and nominees.

+Quote this post
Better Man
post 2nd March 2024, 08:10 PM
Post #1564
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 12,584

We will see smile.gif

I think yes, one day he will win again.

+Quote this post
Better Man
post 2nd March 2024, 09:07 PM
Post #1565
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

Really would like to hear this long in live...

+Quote this post
Better Man
post 2nd March 2024, 09:19 PM
Post #1566
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

In my opinion, during TTC Tour Rob had the worst scenic voice in his career. In physically he didn't look great.
Unfortunately.

Unfortunately because during his Tour there were so many great stadium songs, like Not Like The Others, Be A Boy, Gospel.
Would like to hear them in his best form!
Maybe one day again? smile.gif

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post 3rd March 2024, 12:28 AM
Post #1567
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,265

QUOTE(Better Man @ Mar 2 2024, 09:19 PM) *
In my opinion, during TTC Tour Rob had the worst scenic voice in his career. In physically he didn't look great.
Unfortunately.

Unfortunately because during his Tour there were so many great stadium songs, like Not Like The Others, Be A Boy, Gospel.

I would love to hear Be A Boy again live.

Love that song wub.gif

I'm half your age and lived twice your life

+Quote this post
elisabeth1974
post 3rd March 2024, 07:15 AM
Post #1568
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 25,575

Agree with you, Alex and Laura. I think TTC was a great album with really interesting lyrics. I wonder how the new album will sound like. I also wonder about his plannings:
A lot of art, the few concerts in summer, the new album in autumn, the new biography in December and the movie end December?

Coming back to the Brits, I hope he will get one day a Brit again for his music and not for being whatever icon or legend status.

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post 4th March 2024, 12:40 AM
Post #1569
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(elisabeth1974 @ Mar 3 2024, 07:15 AM) *
Agree with you, Alex and Laura. I think TTC was a great album with really interesting lyrics. I wonder how the new album will sound like. I also wonder about his plannings:
A lot of art, the few concerts in summer, the new album in autumn, the new biography in December and the movie end December?

Coming back to the Brits, I hope he will get one day a Brit again for his music and not for being whatever icon or legend status.

I think that sounds pretty accurate elisabeth. We'll find out soon smile.gif

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post 4th March 2024, 02:12 PM
Post #1570
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Better Man @ Mar 2 2024, 09:19 PM) *
Unfortunately.

Gosh ! , I loved the TTC show at the O2 Arena , I thought the whole show was amazing , I agree there were some breaks in Rob's voice but overall given the physical effort it must have taken to cover such a large stage it is one of my favourite shows . I also would love to hear him some of those songs live again ..

Hard to believe that was back in 2012 , how time flies when you are enjoying yourself dance.gif

This post has been edited by Sydney11: 4th March 2024, 05:34 PM

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post 9th March 2024, 10:36 AM
Post #1571
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

‘It’s terrifying’: songwriter behind Robbie Williams hits out at AI in the music industry
Guy Chambers says future albums may need disclaimers about how they were made amid rise of AI’s use for writing songs

‘It’s terrifying’: songwriter behind Robbie Williams hits out at AI in the music industry
Guy Chambers says future albums may need disclaimers about how they were made amid rise of AI’s use for writing songs

Robert Booth Social affairs correspondent, Sat 9 Mar 2024 09.00

The songwriter behind hits for Robbie Williams and Kylie Minogue has described the acceleration in use of artificial intelligence in the music industry as “terrifying” because of its potential to replace songwriters. Guy Chambers, who has collaborated with Williams over more than two decades, said: “I think we may get to a stage in the future where an album will need to have a badge saying ‘this is an all-human record’.

“From what I’ve seen of AI, the acceleration is pretty terrifying, in terms of what it can do and how it could replace songwriters.” Chambers, whose co-writing credits include the multi-platinum hit Angels, said: “Any person could put into an AI programme something like ‘I want a song 100 BPM that sounds like a cross between Abba and Arctic Monkeys’. And some music will be created and it will be pretty good. “Or someone might say: ‘Can you also write me a lyric that’s a funny take on fast food’ and a pretty good lyric will come out. This is just going to get better and better as AI gets more and more intelligent.”

Chambers is one of the UK’s bestselling pop songwriters and has written for and with Mark Ronson, Anastasia and Katie Melua. His comments come as YouTube experiments with an AI system called DreamTrack whose users can type in wishes for a song – for example, “a ballad about how opposites attract – upbeat acoustic” – and it provides a unique song. Charli XCX, Demi Lovato and John Legend are among the artists that have allowed their voices to be used and YouTube is awash with AI covers of other artists’ songs “by” these singers. At its launch in November, Lyor Cohen, the platform’s head of music, said: “Artificial intelligence is meant to amplify human creativity, not replace it.”

Chambers this week addressed music and entertainment industry apprentices at the Confetti Institute of Creative Technologies in Nottingham, an organisation that seeks to help underprivileged people into the sector with vocationally focused further and higher education courses and encourages them to use its studios and live music facilities.

Chambers said: “We now use so much software that’s probably being helped by AI, it would be quite hard to do a completely organic analogue record these days. Of course, there are also benefits to this, and I think there will be incredible tie-ins with AI that we can’t even imagine now. But also I think there are lots of potential dangers and I’m worried that young musicians might get lazy, and in this business you’re not going to get anywhere if you’re lazy.”

Asked for his advice to young musicians, he said: “Be flexible. Have as many skills as possible because you’re going to need them. That’s my main message. My other advice to young musicians is to have as many strings to their bow as possible. They need to have very personal skills, like charm and hustle.”

Craig Chettle, the founder of the Confetti Institute, said AI “can be used as a force for good to enhance music”, including automating repetitive processes, allowing artists and engineers to spend more time on the creative process. But he said “there is no substitute to doing it for real” and that students who wanted to become songwriters, performers and producers wanted to use the colleges’ recording studios and the live events venues in a conventional way.

As in the film and television industry, the potential for AI to replace or weaken the role of artists is becoming a source of increasing conflict. Last year an AI-produced song faking a collaboration between Drake and the Weeknd earned hundreds of thousands of streams before being scrubbed from streaming services. The Recording Industry Association of America has launched a “human artistry campaign” to limit AI. In a list of core principles, it says: “People relate most deeply to works that embody the lived experience, perceptions and attitudes of others. Only humans can create and fully realise works … with such specific meaning.”

The US musicians’ union last year reached a deal with Hollywood studios to create guardrails about the use of their work to enable AI to create soundtracks.

In the UK, the Musicians’ Union has been urging its members to tell their record labels and publishers that they need to request permission for their music to be used to train AI models to generate new pieces. Musicians and tech companies are increasingly experimenting with AI. In 2021, Beethoven’s unfinished 10th symphony was “completed” using an AI model that had been fed the 19th-century composer’s entire body of work.

Chambers is about to release a second album with the Lemon Trees, 30 years after their first. Last month he sang in public for the first time in 30 years.

“I just wanted to see if I could do it,” he said. “My kids thought I could do it. Three of my kids were there and I think they were quietly impressed.”

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2024/mar/...ef=upstract.com

This post has been edited by Sydney11: 9th March 2024, 10:40 AM

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post 14th March 2024, 11:16 AM
Post #1572
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

'Cheesy as hell!' Robbie Williams didn't want to record one of his biggest hits

Robbie Williams wasn't convinced by 'Rock DJ' because he thought the single was "cheesy as hell". The track went to the top of the UK Singles Charts in 2000, but his longtime songwriting collaborator Guy Chambers has admitted he had his work cut out convincing Robbie to have faith in the song.

Speaking to NME, he recalled: "We were trying to [write] a song that could be played at a wedding. "Well, we wanted the lyrics to be funny, provocative, but he thought it was cheesy as hell. He didn’t like it. "So I had to keep saying to him, ‘I know you don’t like it, but I think it could work.’ He was very self-critical; incredibly self-critical." Robbie had other doubts two years later with 'Feel', as he thought the music was too "sad" for him to put lyrics to given his mental state at the time.

Guy said: "He was going through a real crisis when he wrote [‘Feel’]. He found the music sad and, because he’s a manic depressive, he didn’t want to write on it.
"Eventually, he did. Thank God he did and let out how he really felt at that time, which was lonely and he needed [to fill] this massive hole in his life [with] love."

It was another story with 'Angels', which was a battle of its own because Guy was suffering with "a terrible sinus infection". He almost cancelled the writing session until his mother convinced him to go into the studio, and an all time classic hit was born Asked why the song resonates with people, Guy pondered: "It’s one of the few Robbie songs that isn’t very specific to his life. It’s a universal song. "A lot of his lyrics aren’t very personal and have a lot of his humour in it and that kind of thing. Quirky would be the word I’d use. ‘Angels’ isn’t like that.

"‘Angels’ is a spiritual song. It’s kind of a hymn. Therefore, I think because of that, it was this massive deal. We should have written more like that really, but we didn’t.”

https://www.music-news.com/news/UK/171737/C...is-biggest-hits

This post has been edited by Sydney11: 14th March 2024, 11:16 AM

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post 15th March 2024, 11:54 PM
Post #1573
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Sydney11 @ Mar 9 2024, 10:36 AM) *

Robert Booth Social affairs correspondent, Sat 9 Mar 2024 09.00
The songwriter behind hits for Robbie Williams and Kylie Minogue has described the acceleration in use of artificial intelligence in the music industry as “terrifying” because of its potential to replace songwriters. Guy Chambers, who has collaborated with Williams over more than two decades, said: “I think we may get to a stage in the future where an album will need to have a badge saying ‘this is an all-human record’.

“From what I’ve seen of AI, the acceleration is pretty terrifying, in terms of what it can do and how it could replace songwriters.” Chambers, whose co-writing credits include the multi-platinum hit Angels, said: “Any person could put into an AI programme something like ‘I want a song 100 BPM that sounds like a cross between Abba and Arctic Monkeys’. And some music will be created and it will be pretty good. “Or someone might say: ‘Can you also write me a lyric that’s a funny take on fast food’ and a pretty good lyric will come out. This is just going to get better and better as AI gets more and more intelligent.”

Chambers is one of the UK’s bestselling pop songwriters and has written for and with Mark Ronson, Anastasia and Katie Melua. His comments come as YouTube experiments with an AI system called DreamTrack whose users can type in wishes for a song – for example, “a ballad about how opposites attract – upbeat acoustic” – and it provides a unique song. Charli XCX, Demi Lovato and John Legend are among the artists that have allowed their voices to be used and YouTube is awash with AI covers of other artists’ songs “by” these singers. At its launch in November, Lyor Cohen, the platform’s head of music, said: “Artificial intelligence is meant to amplify human creativity, not replace it.”

Chambers this week addressed music and entertainment industry apprentices at the Confetti Institute of Creative Technologies in Nottingham, an organisation that seeks to help underprivileged people into the sector with vocationally focused further and higher education courses and encourages them to use its studios and live music facilities.

Chambers said: “We now use so much software that’s probably being helped by AI, it would be quite hard to do a completely organic analogue record these days. Of course, there are also benefits to this, and I think there will be incredible tie-ins with AI that we can’t even imagine now. But also I think there are lots of potential dangers and I’m worried that young musicians might get lazy, and in this business you’re not going to get anywhere if you’re lazy.”

Asked for his advice to young musicians, he said: “Be flexible. Have as many skills as possible because you’re going to need them. That’s my main message. My other advice to young musicians is to have as many strings to their bow as possible. They need to have very personal skills, like charm and hustle.”

Craig Chettle, the founder of the Confetti Institute, said AI “can be used as a force for good to enhance music”, including automating repetitive processes, allowing artists and engineers to spend more time on the creative process. But he said “there is no substitute to doing it for real” and that students who wanted to become songwriters, performers and producers wanted to use the colleges’ recording studios and the live events venues in a conventional way.

As in the film and television industry, the potential for AI to replace or weaken the role of artists is becoming a source of increasing conflict. Last year an AI-produced song faking a collaboration between Drake and the Weeknd earned hundreds of thousands of streams before being scrubbed from streaming services. The Recording Industry Association of America has launched a “human artistry campaign” to limit AI. In a list of core principles, it says: “People relate most deeply to works that embody the lived experience, perceptions and attitudes of others. Only humans can create and fully realise works … with such specific meaning.”

The US musicians’ union last year reached a deal with Hollywood studios to create guardrails about the use of their work to enable AI to create soundtracks.

In the UK, the Musicians’ Union has been urging its members to tell their record labels and publishers that they need to request permission for their music to be used to train AI models to generate new pieces. Musicians and tech companies are increasingly experimenting with AI. In 2021, Beethoven’s unfinished 10th symphony was “completed” using an AI model that had been fed the 19th-century composer’s entire body of work.

Chambers is about to release a second album with the Lemon Trees, 30 years after their first. Last month he sang in public for the first time in 30 years.

“I just wanted to see if I could do it,” he said. “My kids thought I could do it. Three of my kids were there and I think they were quietly impressed.”

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2024/mar/...ef=upstract.com

I thought exactly this when I read the NME article. But i've said it so many times I tried to keep quiet. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post 17th March 2024, 11:50 PM
Post #1574
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Sad to read today that Steve Harley from Cockney Rebel has passed away.

When Robbie walked on singing Make Me Smile (come up and see me) at The Brits in 1998 - I was very dubious.
By the time he left the stage -I was a fan.
RIP Steve Harley

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2024/mar/...P=share_btn_url

This post has been edited by Laura130262: 17th March 2024, 11:52 PM

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post 17th March 2024, 11:57 PM
Post #1575
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

cool.gif

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post 21st March 2024, 10:42 AM
Post #1576
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

The Nation’s Favourite Song: When the British public voted on the greatest song ever written

“You can’t trust people. People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis,” Super Hans famously said, perfectly summing up the general taste of the public in Peep Show. It’s true you can’t trust people, and every week, the state of the mainstream music chart proves that.

Usually, when it comes down to lists where the whole nation has been asked to chime in, the results feel like a headache. Sometimes, they’re devastatingly dull, like when we vote shortbread as the second-best biscuit. Other times, the hypocrisy makes me want to tear my hair out as the UK, a country increasingly hostile towards immigrants, routinely votes for curry as our favourite meal. So, when it comes to asking the country for their view on the best songs ever written, my expectations are low.

But at least as a nation, it seems we’re fiercely proud of our own. A heavy percentage of the top 100 list comes from UK-born and bred artists, reminding the world that we have exported some of the finest talent the world has ever seen. The Beatles especially come up time and time again with tracks like ‘Day Tripper’, ‘She Loves You’, ‘Let It Be’, and even George Harrison’s solo track ‘My Sweet Lord’ all making the list.

Other UK artists backed heavily by the population are Oasis, Spice Girls, Elton John, Kate Bush and even Sex Pistols. Surprisingly, the list covers all bases of British musical history, from Britpop to art rock to punk and pop. There are some notable absences, though, as no tracks from Blur, Pink Floyd or modern leaders like Arctic Monkeys appear, so many it remains true that we can’t totally trust people to be clued up.

Or maybe, and as superior as it sounds, we can’t trust people to be cool. Instead, prime real estate in the top 30 goes to the likes of Steps and Melanie C, with Robbie Williams very nearly bagging the top spot with his much-beloved mum’s anthem ‘Angels’.

All in all, I think it’s a fact that the UK’s taste is unusual and eclectic. With one of the most thriving and vast music scenes in the world, providing a place for new talent across all genres to develop, it’s a country with a willingness to listen to just about everything. That’s summed up beautifully by our utter adoration for Queen’s art rock odyssey, ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’.

Voting it as the number one best song, the Queen track is by no means a typical, radio-friendly mainstream hit. In fact, when it was recorded, their label executives tried everything to bury the track, thinking it would never be a hit due to its long runtime and manoeuvering musical style. But there’s something about that song, surely some magic in it, as it hit number one upon release and has stayed tight in the UK’s hearts since.

A school disco staple, a karaoke hit and the perfect song to sing along in the car, no matter who the passenger is, everyone of all ages and creeds seems to love ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’. So, while you can’t trust people, at least they didn’t vote for Coldplay as the number one spot.

The UK’s top 100 favourite songs:

1.Bohemian Rhapsody – Queen
2.Imagine – John Lennon
3.Hey Jude – The Beatles
4.Dancing Queen – Abba
5.Like a Prayer – Madonna
6.Angels – Robbie Williams
7.Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields Forever – The Beatles
8.Wannabe – Spice Girls
9.Yesterday – The Beatles
10.Let It Be – The Beatles
11.Smells Like Teen Spirit – Nirvana
12.Don’t Look Back in Anger – Oasis
13.Nothing Compares 2 U – Sinead O’Connor
14.Suspicious Minds – Elvis Presley
15.Billie Jean – Michael Jackson
16.Losing My Religion – REM
17.Hotel California – the Eagles
18.(Everything I Do) I Do It for You – Bryan Adams
19.A Whiter Shade of Pale – Procol Harum
20.With or Without You – U2
21.Candle in the Wind ’97/Something About the Way You Look Tonight – Elton John
22.I Will Always Love You – Whitney Houston
23.Baby One More Time – Britney Spears
24.Vogue – Madonna
25.Heartbeat/Tragedy – Steps
26.Thriller – Michael Jackson
27.Never Ever – All Saints
28.My Heart Will Go On – Celine Dion
29.I Turn to You – Melanie C
30.Wonderwall – Oasis
31.American Pie – Don McLean
32.Everybody Hurts – REM
33.Careless Whisper – George Michael
34.Baker Street – Gerry Rafferty
35.Bridge Over Troubled Water – Simon and Garfunkel
36.I’ll be Missing You – Puff Daddy and Faith Evans
37.I Can’t Get No (Satisfaction) – the Rolling Stones
38.Bitter Sweet Symphony – The Verve
39.I Heard It Through the Grapevine – Marvin Gaye
40.Wuthering Heights – Kate Bush
41.Better the Devil You Know – Kylie Minogue
42.Vienna – Ultravox
43.She Loves You – The Beatles
44.Music – Madonna
45.Every Breath You Take – The Police
46.Layla – Derek and The Dominoes
47.The Winner Takes it All – Abba
48.Heartbreak Hotel – Elvis Presley
49.My Sweet Lord – George Harrison
50.I’m Not in Love – 10cc
51.Good Vibrations – The Beach Boys
52.Unchained Melody – Righteous Brothers
53.Back For Good – Take That
54.Stan – Eminem
55.Without You – Nilsson
56.God Only Knows – The Beach Boys
57.Don’t You Want Me – The Human League
58.I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing – Aerosmith
59.Bat Out of Hell – Meat Loaf
60.Help! – The Beatles
61.Heroes – David Bowie
62.Purple Rain – Prince
63.Can’t Get You Out of My Head – Kylie Minogue
64.Like a Rolling Stone – Bob Dylan
65.God Save the Queen – Sex Pistols
66.China in Your Hand – T’Pau
67.Hero – Mariah Carey
68.Whole Again – Atomic Kitten
69.Love is All Around – Wet Wet Wet
70.Space Oddity – David Bowie
71.Make Me Smile (Come up and See Me) – Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel
72.Knowing Me Knowing You – Abba
73.The Drugs Don’t Work – The Verve
74.Teenage Kicks – The Undertones
75.Summer of ’69 – Bryan Adams
76.Cars – Gary Numan
77.Mr Blue Sky – Electric Light Orchestra
78.2 Become 1 – Spice Girls
79.Rock DJ – Robbie Williams
80.Pure Shores – All Saints
81.Sultans of Swing – Dire Straits
82.Holler – Spice Girls
83.Into the Groove – Madonna
84.Believe – Cher
85.Independent Woman – Destiny’s Child
86.Tainted Love – Soft Cell
87.I Will Survive – Gloria Gaynor
88.My Generation -The Who
89.Day Tripper/We Can Work it Out – The Beatles
90.Common People – Pulp
91.Waterloo Sunset – the Kinks
92.You’ve Lost that Loving Feeling – Righteous Brothers
93.Voodoo Chile – Jimi Hendrix
94.Jailhouse Rock – Elvis Presley
95.Sweet Child of Mine – Guns N’ Roses
96.Anarchy in the UK – Sex Pistols
97.Eternal Flame – Bangles
98.Without You – Mariah Carey
99.All Along the Watchtower – Jimi Hendrix
100.How Do I Live – Leanne Rimes

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/the-nations-fa...g-ever-written/

This post has been edited by Sydney11: 21st March 2024, 10:42 AM

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post 27th March 2024, 06:53 PM
Post #1577
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

I think Cillian Murphy drew inspiration from Rob's Advertising Space photoshoot sleep.gif

Photo credit to Cillian Murphy Instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/C5BxlHgCbv5/?img_index=2

Photo https://www.discogs.com/release/599912-Robb...vertising-Space

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post 2nd April 2024, 07:36 AM
Post #1578
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

I agree sleep.gif

Loose Women's Denise Welch reacts as son Matty Healy branded 'unhinged' by Robbie Williams

Denise Welch's son is the singer, songwriter and producer, in his band The 1975 - after co-founding the group when he was just 13 - and he's now been branded "unhinged" by none other than Robbie Williams.
Denise Welch approvingly re-posted a passionate Instagram post by Robbie Williams which saw him lament the "boring" British music scene, before turning his attention to "rebellious" and "unhinged" Matt Healy, who he believes is better than his contemporaries. "How boring is the music scene right now? I'm not attacking the music itself. I'm just lamenting the death of friction, danger, personality," he declared to his three million Instagram followers.

"I get it, everyone’s scared. No one knows what you’ll say that will get you cancelled," the Let Me Entertain You singer continued. "No one knows what you’ve already said or written that will end you. So many people to offend." He then praised Denise's son, explaining: "Matt Healy is the only commercially viable Pop/Rock star that I can see who is willing to be something other than beige. I really like Matt - he’s unhinged, super smart, super talented and willing to upset. Upsetting for a cause. The cause being a complicated inner life a rebellious streak and boredom."

He then hinted he's been inspired by Matt, quipping that he has "got to get some of that [kind of] musical energy back in my life". "Like I say ‘'so many people to offend’'. I hope I have time to fit them all in," he joked.

"Couldn’t agree more about Matty Healy - absolutely legend!" one fan quipped in the comments section of Robbie's post.
In fact, the rock singer's outspoken antics have seen him banned from countries, while podcast content he featured in has been removed from the internet for overly explicit conversation.

Last year, Matty kissed a male bandmate onstage in the Malaysian capital Kuala Lumpur, as part of a protest against the country's "homophobic" laws and policies, which he claimed made him feel "f*****g furious". 30 minutes later, he was ordered offstage and the entire music festival he'd performed in was subsequently cancelled, while the band was slapped with a threat that they'd be sued for £2 million.

On multiple occasions in 2022, Matt bit into raw meat live onstage, prompting the NHS to release a statement warning that doing so could cause serious food poisoning.
Although it wasn't quite on the scale of Ozzy Osbourne biting the head off a bat, his antics still caused plenty of controversy - and he's been banned from Dubai altogether over kissing a man and waving a pride flag.

Matty, who is thought to have briefly dated Taylor Swift, was also criticised for mocking the accent of rapper Ice Spice - which prompted him to then issue an apology for being a "d**k".
Meanwhile, proud parent Denise reposted Robbie's praise on her Twitter account, alongside an illustration Robbie had previously shared of the pair with Morrissey.

The hand-drawn image was captioned: "Me, Matt Healy and Morrissey playing laser quest at the Trafford Centre [in Manchester].

"We then go to Morrissey's [house] to write a song about it called 'We all have fun and then we die.'"

https://www.express.co.uk/celebrity-news/18...Robbie-Williams

This post has been edited by Sydney11: 2nd April 2024, 07:37 AM

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post 6th April 2024, 10:14 AM
Post #1579
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Superstar Robbie Williams sends touching message to Yorkshire charity and says 'it's blown me away'

Singer Robbie Williams has reached out to Andy's Man Club and paid tribute to Andy Robert in a heartbreaking message. Robbie - who found fame in Take That and then as a solo singer - sent a message to the charity after finding out about it the day before. Andy's Man Club was founded in Halifax in 2016 following the death of Andy Roberts, who took his own life.

Andy's brother-in-law Luke Ambler founded the charity - described as a "talking group, a place for men to come together in a safe environment to talk about issues and problems they have faced or are currently facing." The charity now has groups set up all around the UK. In his message, sent on
Instagram, Robbie told the charity he is only here because he talked. He said: "Hey guys, I found out about your organisation yesterday. It's blown me away.
"I'm only here because I talked. I'm only here because I asked for help and then took it. Thankfully the stigma around mental health is coming down but I realise for a lot of men in particular there is still a long way to go. I want to send a big man hug to all that help facilitate this beautiful cause.
"I'm also sending a few people over *digitally* to offer up and hug and a cuddle. Rest in paradise Andy. RW."

A spokesperson wrote on the Andy's Man Club Facebook page: "What a lovely comment to get today of all days." It was met by kind comments, including one that said: "Wowzers - testament to all the amazing work you guys do and the reach you guys have. Life changing the support you guys give. Breaking the stigma, removing judgement and connecting with heartfelt empathy."

Another social media user said: "What a fantastic endorsement for a great charity. Rob has never hidden his mental health issues. One of the reasons I've always loved him. It truly is #goodtotalk #AMC."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/super...way/ar-BB1l9Xnr

This post has been edited by Sydney11: 6th April 2024, 10:15 AM

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post 9th April 2024, 05:42 AM
Post #1580
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

I Still Wanna Rock, DJ: remembering Robbie Williams’ controversial music video for Rock DJ 24 years on…

Sprawled across the records of music history, certain tracks stand out from the rest, not only for their incredible use of sound, iconic production or their rebellious spirit, but for the music videos which drive their popularity and help them receive cult status in the music and visual world.
Robbie Williams’ release of “Rock DJ” and its accompanying music video in July of 2000 left an undeniable mark on the world of music and its association with videos for its defiant and unruly visuals, an incredible originality and its ‘Take That’ style of storytelling.

Nestled within the bustling heart of the English music industry, the creation of “Rock DJ” was a collaborative effort fuelled by creativity and a desire to push boundaries. Directed by Vaughan Arnell, the video was a rollercoaster ride through the surreal and the grotesque, blending elements of pop culture, horror, and satire into a visually stunning spectacle.

The song itself samples a fat bassline and drum beat from Barry White’s “It’s Ecstasy When You Lay Down Next to Me”, as well as sequences from A Tribe Called Quest’s “Can I Kick It?” and a line from Slick Rick and Doug E. Fresh’s “La Di Da Di”, blending sounds from a variety of genres and eras into one epic spectacle of disco, dance and Britpop. The concept for the enigmatic music video was originally birthed by two French creatives who worked on an earlier commercial for Pepsi with Robbie Williams, as outlined in a documentary detailing the behind the scenes work of the “Rock DJ” music video.
Rock DJ

The making of the “Rock DJ” video was a labor of love that required meticulous planning and sheer audacity. From the outset, Arnell and Williams were determined to push the boundaries of what was considered acceptable in mainstream music videos and ultimately wanted to shock and provoke and to challenge the norms of beauty and sexuality in a comedic and lighthearted way.

Basically, the video features Robbie dressed casually in a white singlet and some navy blue pants held up by a hefty belt and clad with a bright adidas logo and a wallet chain; he’s dancing in the middle of a large grey room lit by a massive chandelier and circular lights made to resemble speakers. Williams is surrounded by girls roller skating in a loop around him, seemingly unimpressed by his presence as he begins to strip his clothes.

A DJ played by British model and actress Lauren Gold spins tracks as Robbie makes attempts to swoon her, removing his shirt and dancing in a goofy and, if it wasn’t Robbie Williams, completely uncool fashion. Unable to grab the attention of the desirable DJ or any of the other girls surrounding him, one of which is played by British-American activist, model and actress Elizabeth Jagger, Robbie goes to great lengths to attempt to sway them, stripping down to his bare birthday suit before beginning to tear off his skin and throw it into the crowd of roller-skating girls, and then his muscles until he is nothing but a computer-generated skeleton aiming to impress.

One of the key challenges in bringing the video to life was finding the right balance between shock value and artistic expression. Williams’ provocative dance moves and his gradual transformation into a skeleton were arguably intended to challenge societal norms and perceptions of beauty as a daring statement which aimed to subvert the traditional notions of sex appeal while celebrating individuality and self-expression.

“He’s brought up as the next victim, or as the next gladiator or the next piece of meat literally. I thought if it were just all girls in there and he came up and he was looking around and they were all skating, it was like Robbie heaven.” – Vaugh Arnell (“Robbie Williams – Skinned Alive: The Making of Rock DJ”)

The visual effects team played a crucial role in realising Arnell and Williams’ vision.The team used a combination of practical effects and computer-generated imagery to create the jaw-dropping visuals that would later become synonymous with the “Rock DJ” video.

The visual effects team spent months perfecting the intricate details of Williams’ transformation sequence, with 3D animator John Harvey and Head of Post Production Damian Raymond-Parker meticulously crafting each frame to ensure maximum impact. From the painstakingly detailed prosthetics to the seamless integration of CGI, every aspect of the video was carefully choreographed to create a sense of visceral intensity – and more than two decades later, its visual aspects continue to impress.

The controversial video’s ending of Williams removing his skin was cut by most music channels around Europe, like VIVA, VH1 Europe, The Box and MCM. In 2001, “Rock DJ” won the MTV Video Music Award for Best Special Effects. In 2006, it was voted by viewers as the seventh Most Groundbreaking Video Ever on MTV and in 2007 it was ranked at number 48 on MuchMusic‘s 50 Most Controversial Videos countdown. The video was banned in the Dominican Republic due to allegations of Satanism.

“Robbie just became the video – like he always does.” Vaugh Arnell (“Robbie Williams – Skinned Alive: The Making of Rock DJ”)

Twenty-four years on, “Rock DJ” remains as electrifying and enigmatic as ever, a testament to the enduring power of creativity and the unyielding spirit of rebellion and a reminder to embrace chaos through ‘having a laugh’ and daring to be different – even if it means tearing off your skin in front of 50 roller-skating ladies.

Keep up with Robbie Williams today here.

https://mixdownmag.com.au/features/i-still-...dj-24-years-on/

This post has been edited by Sydney11: 9th April 2024, 05:42 AM

+Quote this post

80 Pages V  « < 77 78 79 80 >
This thread is locked.Create a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 08:05 PM