BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> If you could swap one Olympic sport for another..., ...which would it be?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
PeteFromLeeds
post 29th July 2021, 05:08 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

Simple rules - you get to swap out one existing Olympic sport and swap in another one of your choosing.

Go!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 29th July 2021, 05:08 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

I'd probably be on the side of 'swap out a boring sport for an interesting one', in which case I'd probably swap out shooting (saving Equestrian as we tend to do quite well in it), and bring in maybe dodgeball or ultimate frisbee? Let's go dodgeball as it was always the most fun sport to play in primary school tongue.gif

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 30th July 2021, 09:15 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

I'd get rid of equestrian and bring in squash.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 30th July 2021, 09:31 AM
Post #4
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

Lose golf for me, the worst Olympic events are always those of sports that get considerable coverage elsewhere, of those, golf is the most damaging sport to the environment for such a low-impact (plus it's very elite-focused in a similar way to equestrian, but at least the latter looks impressive). And then tennis and football get some interest from famous athletes taking part sometimes, I can't recall anything about the golf competition from 2016.

I'd probably go for adding chess with the intention of it being a canary in the coal mine for future mental sports/eSports.

+Quote this post
N-S
post 30th July 2021, 09:02 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 816

I would make Karaté a regular Olympic sport (it won't be held in 2024) and take out golf.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 30th July 2021, 09:15 PM
Post #6
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

Definitely Football as they have two huge quadrennial tournaments that get just as much if not more worldwide interest, though I'd happily lose Golf and Dressage as well as they do feel a bit elite and dated.

It'd be cool to see more mentally powered or high adrenaline sports like Chess, Climbing, Water Skiing or Obstacle courses come in, would be so fun to watch.

+Quote this post
Severin
post 30th July 2021, 10:18 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872

Get rid of Dressage as it's frankly ridiculous and bring Chess-Boxing.

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 30th July 2021, 10:38 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,961

I would get rid of golf and bring in roller speed skating. I thought that I had made it up myself but I've just googled it and it does exist already. It was a new sport at the 2018 Youth Olympics.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 30th July 2021, 11:29 PM
Post #9
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

Get rid of Golf, Football and Tennis and add roller speed skating, squash, or maybe T20 cricket.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 31st July 2021, 12:10 AM
Post #10
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

I'm surprised no one has mentioned modern pentathlon - that's always seemed like such a weird niche to have a 'sport' all to itself (especially with the much more reasonable triathlon also being a thing). I guess it is just too much of an institution to get rid of, but then again they at one point were set to get rid of wrestling of all things, so who knows why they keep it around.

I'm not too sure what I'd replace it with, mind. I find the idea of introducing 'e-sports' to the Olympics to be kind of novel, I am not sure I see it ever happening but it's a 'sure why not'.

QUOTE(Chez Wombat @ Jul 30 2021, 10:15 PM) *
Definitely Football as they have two huge quadrennial tournaments that get just as much if not more worldwide interest, though I'd happily lose Golf and Dressage as well as they do feel a bit elite and dated.

It'd be cool to see more mentally powered or high adrenaline sports like Chess, Climbing, Water Skiing or Obstacle courses come in, would be so fun to watch.

Climbing is in the Olympics this year!

+Quote this post
Riser
post 31st July 2021, 02:32 AM
Post #11
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534

Ooh I would love to see an Olympic obstacle course race! Not sure what I'd get rid of, maybe sailing, but it's easy enough to just not watch an event I'm not interested in.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 31st July 2021, 02:36 AM
Post #12
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

QUOTE(Bré @ Jul 31 2021, 12:10 AM) *
I'm not too sure what I'd replace it with, mind. I find the idea of introducing 'e-sports' to the Olympics to be kind of novel, I am not sure I see it ever happening but it's a 'sure why not'.

I think it depends on how the eSports scene evolves as each 'discipline' is a corporate product right now that might be difficult to standardise, but given its ever-increasing popularity I think I can see it happening at some point.

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 31st July 2021, 03:59 AM
Post #13
Group icon
---
User: 17,418

I'd get rid of golf for sure and tennis. We have the four major tournaments every year. I'd have said football as well but with the Australian women progressing through to the Semi Finals I think I'm warming to it. haha

It's never happen but maybe cricket in like a 10 over format but with only 10 or so competitive countries I doubt it'd ever happen. Didgeball is another food suggestion. That'd be great to watch.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 31st July 2021, 08:59 AM
Post #14
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455

Bring back the tug of war, and remove synchronised swimming.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 01:03 PM