BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT • SEASON 5, five years later
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Klaus
post May 7 2018, 05:46 PM
Post #1
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160
SEASON 5 MAY 29th!!!!!

MAY 29 MAY 29 MAY 29

obvs not fitting in that rewatch tongue.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Qween
post May 7 2018, 06:20 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
User: 11,709
EXCITED

but cautious

CAUTIOUSLY EXCITED

+Quote this post
Qween
post May 7 2018, 06:22 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
I was trying to explain how/why this is so good to the other half yesterday and a full rewatch seems to beckoning. Really excited to see what they've done to season 4 as it was good but not definitely the least good of the 4.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post May 7 2018, 06:39 PM
Post #4
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
trailer looks good, those classic moments just reminded me (as if I needed it) just how funny this show is!

Seems to be placing an emphasis on the fact that they're all back together rather than separated in Season 4 (which is partly why it wasn't as good)

+Quote this post
Dexton
post May 10 2018, 01:49 AM
Post #5
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA I love it already that trailer was amazing :’) I binged the remix season and now I’m super excited for this, I wonder how Lucille 2’s apparent death will mix in with it all. The reuniting of Michael & George Michael should be interesting too

The remix season did kinda underplay the roles of Maeby & Oscar so hopefully they will have more to do (or at least look like they have more to do) in the new season

+Quote this post
Klaus
post May 16 2018, 10:26 PM
Post #6
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
only the first eight (out of 16) episodes being released on 29th May

I guess that’s a good thing as it means not binging through them all cos god knows if/when we’llget a sixth season

+Quote this post
Dexton
post May 29 2018, 03:12 PM
Post #7
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
I haven't watched this yet but judging by some of the titles of the reviews this isn't well received unsure.gif I'll talk about how I feel more once I've watched it but I think some possible issues could be:
- Portia De Rossi retired from acting so she only features in 5 episodes (not sure if it's 5 out of 8, or 5 out of 16)
- Cult classics given revivals don't often live up to expectations, so maybe people were expecting them to make something even better than the first few seasons?
- Too much narration? This was the case a little in the Season 4 remix, lot's of explaining about previous events to make jokes land which I think is to maybe make it so the show isn't entirely full of inside jokes that new audiences who haven't seen the previous seasons will understand. Again, this goes back to the issue of a being a cult classic revival
- Too many characters to follow? The main Bluth family is plenty of characters who's stories we're following but maybe extra time is given to secondary characters like: Lucille 2, Sally Sitwell, Tony Wonder, Egg*, Rebel Alley, Ron Howard, Kitty, Debrie, Herbert Love, or any new people in the season.

I personally love how complicated the show can be sometimes and was one of the few who didn't have a problem with how Season 4 was originally structured - but I can see others having an issue with it. Hopefully this season ends in a way which the entire show should end as I have a feeling there won't be a 4th revival for the show sad.gif

* "I think George Michaels hiding Ann in the attic.." "From who, the Nazis?" rotf.gif

This post has been edited by Dexton: May 29 2018, 03:14 PM

+Quote this post
Klaus
post May 29 2018, 03:28 PM
Post #8
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
I watched the first episode and was extremely disappointed not going to lie. I mean yes there were some good jokes there but I’m really hoping that the rest of the season doesn’t follow the same approach.

It wasn’t a case of picking up where Season 4 left off, it was just basically a recap episode and then filling in blanks I didn’t particularly need filling in! It particualrly felt like an epilogue to Season 4 rather than a big bold new start to a season. Not sure why they went to the extent of re-releasing Season 4 if they were doing that first episode anyway. The trailers seemed to suggest different so I am hoping, now that is out the way, the rest of the ‘half’ season can move on.

+Quote this post
Qween
post May 29 2018, 07:55 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
To be fair episode 1 of Season 4 was also a recap with minor movement forward. I'm going to try and blast through this all in one go at the weekend but the general concensus is that is isn't that new or innovative anymore, but the problem with a show like this is there is only SO MUCH that you can do and eventually it settles into a groove.

+Quote this post
Dexton
post May 31 2018, 03:09 PM
Post #10
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
QUOTE(Dexton @ May 29 2018, 11:12 PM) *
I haven't watched this yet but judging by some of the titles of the reviews this isn't well received unsure.gif I'll talk about how I feel more once I've watched it but I think some possible issues could be:
- Portia De Rossi retired from acting so she only features in 5 episodes (not sure if it's 5 out of 8, or 5 out of 16)
- Cult classics given revivals don't often live up to expectations, so maybe people were expecting them to make something even better than the first few seasons?
- Too much narration? This was the case a little in the Season 4 remix, lot's of explaining about previous events to make jokes land which I think is to maybe make it so the show isn't entirely full of inside jokes that new audiences who haven't seen the previous seasons will understand. Again, this goes back to the issue of a being a cult classic revival
- Too many characters to follow? The main Bluth family is plenty of characters who's stories we're following but maybe extra time is given to secondary characters like: Lucille 2, Sally Sitwell, Tony Wonder, Egg*, Rebel Alley, Ron Howard, Kitty, Debrie, Herbert Love, or any new people in the season.

I personally love how complicated the show can be sometimes and was one of the few who didn't have a problem with how Season 4 was originally structured - but I can see others having an issue with it. Hopefully this season ends in a way which the entire show should end as I have a feeling there won't be a 4th revival for the show sad.gif

Having seen the whole thing, I can see why some people are disappointed but at the same time I enjoyed (almost) every second of it and cannot personally wait for the second half of the season. The first episode is very much a recap really in fact the whole way through I was just kinda twiddling my thumbs thinking "when are they gonna begin?". But saying that, I have only just rewatched the entire show including both variations of Season 4, so I already had all the recap information fresh on my mind whereas other viewers who haven't seen AD in a long time won't. The first two episodes suffer a little from over-narration, but as the season progresses it quickly catches up to itself and I think we finish on some of the least-narrated episodes since the first season.

Spoiler FILLED info:
I feel like the Lindsey running for Congress plot will be more appreciated when the full season it out, but for now I feel like it was just hanging in the air and we didn't see much happen with it. There could've been some great scenes with Lindsey vs Lucille 2 in the same vein as Lucille B vs Lucille 2 from earlier seasons, but I did like the joke where both of them are strangely absent from places they absolutely should be (such as the parade laugh.gif). I'm a bit annoyed that Portia De Rossi couldn't just be there for the whole season and not in & out all the time, and when she is there most of the time it's on an obvious green screen too... I get that she's retired and maybe she was also not fully committed to another season of the show in the first place but a bit more effort would've been hugely appreciated - hopefully we get more of her in the second half sad.gif

Three cousins on an adventure to Mexico, two of which don't even realise who the third one is until they get there was such a promising it but I feel it fizzled into nothing. Steve Holt was abandoned instantly and whilst he isn't my favourite of the recurring characters the Bluth's like to torment, some more action for Steve would've been nice. The super confusing sexual tension between GM and Maeby could've been amazing with Steve Holt stuck in the middle of them too. GM's time away in Mexico felt like a rehash of his time spent merging in with college guys and his year in Spain all mixed in one. It liked it but something more creative could've happened to him than meeting three people called Noah. Maeby on the other hand is the f***ing star of this season for me, Alia Shawkat has become such a brilliant actor and her role as a Bluth gives her so many amazing moments. She's given up on trying to escape her parents and instead is embracing her inner Bluth - by trying to teach someone a lesson (Lindsey) and conning every single person she meets (every Bluth ever). GM's transformation into a lying, manipulative Bluth happened through all of Season 4 but Maeby's feels much more natural to me.

To finish the Fünke's, we land at the bottom of the powerful family Tobias, some might say he is the power-bottom of the family. Formerly my favourite of the family (and is still fantastic, both the character and David Cross) but in this season I don't really see why he is there. It's said in the show itself that he doesn't belong in the Bluth's anymore yet he's wiggled his way into being Lucille's therapist (note: not analrapist, which gets a hilarious nod to by Michael). It kind of works and is funny but it's just a bit... ehhh. I'm also feeling the same about Michael at this point. His "thing" has always been that he comes back to save the family but this season is about him actually not doing that at all. It's a nice twist in theory but he likes to be the center of the family despite saying he hates it and I'm not sure if it really works.

Finally, Buster is fantastic as always. I adore Tony Hale as an actor, he's always been one of my favourites from AD and his performance in Veep and more recently even in A Series of Unfortunate Events is just fantastic. A similar case to Portia, he's not in this season too much (due to scheduling issues though, a busy actor has a busy schedule) but his absence is disguised a lot better.. with him being in prison laugh.gif I loved that. I loved even more how he was only really in jail for attempting to tamper with evidence, rather than potentially murdering Lucille 2. He also maybe murdered Herbert Love? Buster could be a serial killer tbh, maybe that's how the show ends?

I've gone on a bit but as a whole I'm really glad we've got to see more of these characters.

- Toddler is a great addition to the cast ("I'm all grown up Toddler")
- Lucille's response to Trump wanting to build a wall was amazing, I'm not a fan of tv shows talking about politics etc. but this is a big exception tongue.gif The parallel's between the Bluth's and the Trump's is hard to deny too
- Gob & George's trip to Mexico was a bit strange, Gob thinking he's gay and George thinking he's becoming a woman were great parts of S4 so following up on that was fun
- GM & Michael's Hallway Fight parody was so cringey. I liked how in the 2 months since the big punch both of them had taken to self defense training (self-defense from your family, teaching Star Wars garage moves online)
- GEORGE MICHAEL ACCIDENTALLY CALLING MICHAEL "darth"
- A few season 4 parts appeared to have been completely ret-conned at first. The last episode fixed a bit of that but I still feel there's a lot of plot threads just hanging
- Who killed Lucille 2/what happened to her?!?! The music that plays whenever someone asks is reminiscent of the "who is Buster's dad" music
- Mexican Romney Family GENIUS rotf.gif Such a great callback from one of the show's best running jokes, I also liked how this was planned since S4 too
-“they should take all the rapists and all the murderers and put them all together on an island and all the murderers can be raped and all the rapists can be murdered until you’re down to only two rapists or one murderer-rapist, but who cares about him.”
- I wonder if Tony Wonder is dead?
- PICK A LANE
- Ciao. Bella.

Overall...

I liked it. I'll like it a lot more once we have the full story, but even now I enjoyed it a lot and will watch it again in case I've missed some stuff. I'm one of the few who didn't have a problem with season 4 though, so understandably I imagine a fair few people will be less than thrilled with the new season

This post has been edited by Dexton: May 31 2018, 03:39 PM

+Quote this post
Dexton
post May 31 2018, 03:39 PM
Post #11
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
Also just a public service announcment: Michael Cera is now the same age as Portia De Rossi during season 1. He's also only 4 years younger than Jason Bateman during the first season.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Jun 3 2018, 09:39 AM
Post #12
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
Ok yes the third episode is basically where the season starts! I am sort of willing the series to start breaking into new ground more though but hopefully that will come with the remaining episodes.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Feb 19 2019, 11:05 PM
Post #13
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
Part II is FINALLY coming on March 15.

Glad we’ve got news, I’d worried they’d quietly dumped it following the events of the press interviews for the first part.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Mar 15 2019, 06:25 PM
Post #14
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
Now on Netflix but of course all the hype has sadly be drained and it feels it’s been quietly been put on there.

It certainly looks like it will be the last of the show and it’s sad it’s gone out on a whper when it had a new lease of life arriving on Netflix!

+Quote this post
p a v
post Mar 15 2019, 07:00 PM
Post #15
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397
ugh, as always not on Netflix here. Still stuck mid-part 1. too lazy to stream elsewhere oops

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 10:56 PM