BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> COMPLETE: Jonjo's Fave Movies of 2018 Countdown, Results page 3!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Tafty³³³
post Dec 30 2018, 12:11 AM
Post #1
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
HYPE.

It'll be starting very, very soon. Find out what became my 2nd most favourite movie of the year (my #1 is obvious haha)

Are there some films you're hoping to see high up?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Dec 30 2018, 12:25 AM
Post #2
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947
A star is born to win *.* (tho it probs won't knowing your lack of taste xxxxxxx) (I'll take it being top 15 here considering Ik your opinion on it x)

Hype 😍💗❤️

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Jan 5 2019, 02:50 PM
Post #3
Group icon
This will be starting as soon as I've seen Aquaman! Not sure when, hopefully this week though!

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Jan 16 2019, 01:17 PM
Post #4
Group icon
My countdown is sponsored by LETTERBOXD movie app! It's a social networking site where you can rate and review movies!

My profile is: https://letterboxd.com/Tafty

Countdown starting nowwww...

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Jan 16 2019, 01:37 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Jonjo's Top 72 Movies of 2018:

71 & 72

71. Downsizing ⭐1/2

My Letterboxd Review: "So boring. The idea is interesting, but beyond the scenes where you compare them to life size things (which doesn't happen a lot), there's absolutely nothing to it.

Might've been better to have told the story from the first child born as a downsizer and going in a coming-of-age sort of story."

---

72. The Phantom Thread ⭐

My Letterboxd Review: "Not my thing at all. So bland, boring and I thought it was pretty basic too. Mehhh.

ITV Sunday period... not even drama tbh."

List:
71. Downsizing
72. The Phantom Thread

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Jan 16 2019, 01:52 PM
Post #6
Group icon

66 - 70

66. Unsane ⭐⭐

My Letterboxd Review: "You gotta admire it's creativity and the novelty of being the first movie to be completely shot on an iPhone or whatever. But that doesn't help the story being boring and one of those kinda ones where it tries to be more interesting that it actually is."

---

67. Rampage ⭐⭐

My Letterboxd Review: "It really wasn't great. It felt quite hollow and just mindless destruction of buildings etc.. for most of it.

Mehhhh. Popcorn filler. A below average one at that."

---

68. The House With A Clock In It's Walls ⭐1/2

My Letterboxd Review: "I don't think there's anything worse with a film than having it finish and you feeling nothing or not taking anything away from it.

It didn't ever pick up and the action was unexciting and bland."

---

69. The First Purge ⭐1/2

My Letterboxd Review: "Absolutely, shockingly bad. Straight to DVD fodder. I wouldn't bother with this, even if you liked the other 3."

---

70. Truth Or Dare ⭐1/2

My Letterboxd Review: "Awfully inconsistent and the pay offs are generic and weak. A shame as the idea is good and could lead to some interesting stuff.

It feels like they made the script up as they went along."

List:
66. Unsane
67. Rampage
68. The House With A Clock In It's Walls
69. The First Purge
70. Truth Or Dare
---
71. Downsizing
72. The Phantom Thread

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Jan 16 2019, 01:56 PM
Post #7
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947
Phantom Thread is AMAZING. Repent your sins sad.gif Downsizing is a pile of shite tho x

Unsanitary is the only film I've seen of those next 5 though all the others are on my list to watch oops! I really enjoyed Unsane tho 😍

+Quote this post
Nightcrawler
post Jan 16 2019, 06:28 PM
Post #8
Group icon
All I need is the air I breathe and a place to rest my head.
User: 1,109
Unsane was the only one of those that even slightly peaked my interest last year...and I still didn't see it!

Looking forward to seeing your top 10 biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Jan 16 2019, 07:50 PM
Post #9
Group icon

61 - 65

61. Ocean's 8 ⭐⭐

My Letterboxd Review: "If there was ever a countdown of a films where the cast were wasted.... pretty sure this film would be up there.

The talent was sky high! But ultimately it all fell a bit flat and boring. It plodded along and didn't bring anything new to the heist genre at all and it ended up being incredibly generic.

Anne Hathaway was amaze in her role though."

---

62. The Cloverfield Paradox ⭐⭐

My Letterboxd Review: "It was average. It was ok to watch once, but I don't feel like I need to ever watch again and I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. Such a far cry from the first two installments.

At times it felt like ideas were just being thrown around to try and make sense when it just made it a bit more confusing.

With the way it ended and that last shot, I hope the 4th installment focuses on that later this year. I've missed Clovie.

The release strategy is indeed revolutionary though."

---

63. Thoroughbreds ⭐⭐

My Letterboxd Review: "Pretty boring. It had an interesting enough idea, but I thought the execution was a little pretentious.

Great performance (as ever) from Anton Yelchin though and the 2 female leads were good, but I feel like it could've been executed a bit better overall."

---

64. A Wrinkle In Time ⭐⭐

My Letterboxd Review: "Cute, but really lifeless and empty. Cast were decent enough, but unfortunately not career bests or anywhere near. The little lad has a huge future though."

---

65. The Festival ⭐⭐

My Letterboxd Review: "I think I'm too old for this stuff now. I mean, if I was 13 or in college then I would probably think this was "the best film ever made" etc..

A lot of the jokes fell flat and it was all a bit too OTT for me [/grandpa]"

List:
61. Ocean's 8
62. The Cloverfield Paradox
63. Thorougbreds
64. A Wrinkle In Time
66. Unsane
67. Rampage
69. The First Purge
70. Truth Or Dare
---
71. Downsizing
72. The Phantom Thread

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Jan 16 2019, 08:07 PM
Post #10
Group icon

56 - 60

56. Red Sparrow ⭐⭐1/2

My Letterboxd Review: "Mediocre score for a mediocre film. It's a shame coz elements of it were actually good, but my Lord did it have a habit of just plodding along for the sake of plodding along..."

---

57. Tomb Raider ⭐⭐1/2

My Letterboxd Review: "Very generic & quite hollow for the most part. I feel like they tried to make it work, but for whatever reason, it just didn't work.

Alicia Vikander is a great actress and she did what she could with this, but I dunno. Something just didn't click.

Not awful or unwatchable just very "meh". You don't really take anything away from it."

---

58. Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween ⭐⭐1/2

My Letterboxd Review: "Went into this one with a similar expectation to the first one, except where the 1st exceeded my "it'll be alright" expectations, this one more or less matched that expectation.

It was good, light hearted and silly fun. I felt it was aimed more at kids than at families slightly (which is where I think the first gets it right - by targeting families).

Decent enough sequel, but I think the potential for a third is there and could be very good."

---

59. The Happytime Murders ⭐⭐1/2

My Letterboxd Review: "As someone who really isn't a fan of Melissa McCarthy, this movie had it's moments. Funny in a few places, boring in others. Worth a watch, but I feel like it could have been a lil better."

---

60. Widows ⭐⭐

My Letterboxd Review: "Really wasn't my thing at all, in the end. Most definitely not worth the awards buzz just coz it's Steve McQueen and Viola Davis.

It dragged on, felt basic and generic and I just found it completely boring.

It reminded me of Oceans 8 meets Triple 9. Definitely had more of a B-movie vibe to it."

List:
56. Red Sparrow
57. Tomb Raider
58. Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween
59. The Happytime Murders
60. Widows
---
61. Ocean's 8
63. Thorougbreds
64. A Wrinkle In Time
66. Unsane
67. Rampage
69. The First Purge
70. Truth Or Dare
---
71. Downsizing
72. The Phantom Thread

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Jan 16 2019, 08:08 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Oops at Widows being beaten by Happytime Murders.

Sorry, not sorry x

+Quote this post
Nightcrawler
post Jan 16 2019, 10:23 PM
Post #12
Group icon
I fell asleep twice during Oceans 8...and still knew exactly what was going on. Dull dull dull.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Jan 17 2019, 07:37 AM
Post #13
Group icon
QUOTE(Nightcrawler @ Jan 16 2019, 10:23 PM) *
I fell asleep twice during Oceans 8...and still knew exactly what was going on. Dull dull dull.
It was incredibly disappointing. I had high hopes that it'd deliver sad.gif Especially considering the cast!

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Jan 17 2019, 08:00 AM
Post #14
Group icon

51 - 55

51. Bohemian Rhapsody ⭐⭐1/2

My Letterboxd Review: "I think it's about time we had a biopic about one of the most (if not thee most) iconic front men of all time.

Rami Malek was great as Freddie. The film was average and was definitely held together by Rami's performance imo. He deserves nominations, maybe not wins, but def nommed.

The whole Live Aid section was incredibly joyous, uplifting and done well I thought, though. I also feel that a lot of the "good will" towards this film is only based on that entire scene. Which bugs me tbh.

A good scene, a good film it does not make."

---

52. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom ⭐⭐1/2

My Letterboxd Review: "There's nothing worse than wanting to like a film more, than you actually do. It wasn't dreadful or unwatchable, it just felt a bit hollow at times and was a bit of a mess.

The thing that it really has going against it, is the fact that it's not very original and I felt certain elements and scenes of this was just a reshoot of the first Jurassic Park.

The first Jurassic World was a huge nostalgia trip and it worked but only coz it was more references and nods to the original as opposed to outright remaking scenes etc..

One scene in particular was done really well though and I very nearly cried.

It's a very 5/10 film. It should be better than it actually is, but it's not terrible."

---

53. Venom ⭐⭐1/2

My Letterboxd Review: "The things I liked? Controversial opinion buttttt... Venom himself. I liked what they were doing with him and I don't think he looked bad at all.

Things I didn't like? More or less everything else. Well, almost. As a big Tom Hardy fan, he deserves the inevitable Razzie coming his way for this. Completely the wrong role for him. The script was dreadful and the humour was completely off and fell flat 99.9% of the time.

It's very mid-noughties. Tbh, had we been in 2006, this probably would've been "amazing", especially following the likes of Daredevil & Elektra. But Superhero movies have come such a long way since then, that this feels like a regression.

As I said, I liked the Venom involved parts of the film quite a lot which, for me at least, prevents it from being Fantastic 4 (Reboot) bad."

---

54. Bird Box ⭐⭐1/2

My Letterboxd Review: "Decent enough movie. It was a fun watch. Good performances, especially John Malkovich as ever.

A bit long somewhere in the middle, but interesting enough story. Now I'm just left wondering we have had Hush, A Quiet Place & now Bird Box. Just need horror movies to do with dying by touching and then dying by smelling something."

---

55. Robin Hood ⭐⭐1/2

My Letterboxd Review: "I liked this more than I thought I would, but then again, sometimes when you're expecting the worst it can make things seem better than they are.

This was good in a "I'll probably never watch it again, but found it OK at the time" sort of way.

It wasn't terrible but it wasn't as good as it could've been either."

List:
51. Bohemian Rhapsody
52. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
53. Venom
54. Bird Box
55. Robin Hood
56. Red Sparrow
57. Tomb Raider
60. Widows
---
61. Ocean's 8
63. Thorougbreds
64. A Wrinkle In Time
66. Unsane
67. Rampage
69. The First Purge
70. Truth Or Dare
---
71. Downsizing
72. The Phantom Thread

+Quote this post
Nightcrawler
post Jan 17 2019, 11:40 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Shocked at Bohemian Rhapsody being so low! Genuinely one of my favourite films this year - so uplifting and a great soundtrack.

Disappointed (or should that perhaps be 'relieved') that I missed Venom.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Jan 17 2019, 11:47 PM
Post #16
Group icon
Yeah. BR didn't do anything for me as I thought overall it was a mess. sad.gif

Venom you should watch and make up your own mind tbh. It's very divisive it seems.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Jan 18 2019, 08:56 PM
Post #17
Group icon

46 - 50

46. A Simple Favour ⭐⭐1/2

My Letterboxd Review: "Hmm. Tonally all over the place. A lot of the "jokes" felt forced and did not connect much. The casting (and their performances) was so good though, so it's kinda disppointing that it was the script and bland/generic directing that let it down.

I felt like it dragged for the sake of dragging, as if they thought "ooh that'd be a good twist"... "oih then we can do this".. "then this and that" and it's all a bit much.

Nothing wrong with the performances, but everything else was disappointing."

---

47. You Were Never Really Here ⭐⭐1/2

My Letterboxd Review: "Interesting premise. Dark and gritty, but in all honesty, I'm really not sure wtf ended up going on?!

It's clearly a well made movie and Joaquin delivers yet another incredible performance. But I'm not sure this type of "art house" indie, type thriller is my thing?

It doesn't help that by the end of it I had no clue what was going on. Good, but would probably appreciate it more if I understood."

---

48. Hereditary ⭐⭐1/2

My Letterboxd Review: "Found this quite boring in parts, but it had some creepy moments. The last 10 mins or so completely kill the film dead though.

Not sure if I'd ever likely watch it again, but watching the one time was decent enough, even if it was slow and boring.

Toni Collette thoughhhhh... what a phenomenal actress. She's fantastic in everything.

Decent, but not great. Really overrated for the most part."

---

49. Solo: A Star Wars Movie ⭐⭐1/2

My Letterboxd Review: "As a film it was an averagely decent, if generic, sci-fi.

Pretty predictable and a bit "what's the point in this spin-off". It'd have been better if we knew nothing about Hans. Maybe they should've changed this to a Lando movie as I feel there's still something new to find out about him.

Alden and Donald were both great though. Perfectly fine cast, just a really bland, generic story."

---

50. Breaking In ⭐⭐1/2

My Letterboxd Review: "Solid enough but extremely generic and predictable. It feels like once you've seen one of these home invasion movies, you've seen them all etc.."

List:
46. You Were Never Really Here
47. A Simple Favour
48. Hereditary
49. Solo: A Star Wars Movie
50. Breaking In
---
51. Bohemian Rhapsody
53. Venom
54. Bird Box
55. Robin Hood
56. Red Sparrow
57. Tomb Raider
60. Widows
---
61. Ocean's 8
63. Thorougbreds
64. A Wrinkle In Time
66. Unsane
67. Rampage
69. The First Purge
70. Truth Or Dare
---
71. Downsizing
72. The Phantom Thread

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Jan 18 2019, 09:17 PM
Post #18
Group icon

41 - 45

41. Deadool 2 ⭐⭐⭐

My Letterboxd Review: "I'd put it on a par with the first.

It's overrated and nowhere near as great as people like to believe it is. There's a story, but there's not much of a script again. It's just full of over the top "shocking" and annoying jokes & pop culture references, which makes it all feel a bit hollow to me and just like the first, makes it feel like there is no substance to it.

Cable and Domino were the easy highlights for me and I felt some of the action scenes were better.

Overall, I'd put it on a par with the first (maybe a slightly bit better). It's OK, but stupidly overrated."

---

42. The Spy Who Dumped Me ⭐⭐⭐

My Letterboxd Review: "This movie had it's moments. It's a pretty generic, Hollywood comedy, but it was humourous.

Mila Kunis was pretty much her usual, Mila Kunis-y self. Kate McKinnon was her usual OTT self.

Worth a watch."

---

43. The Post ⭐⭐⭐

My Letterboxd Review: "It's essentially a less exciting Spotlight. Good film, good performances and just all round good.

Good. Good. Good. Very MOR and inoffensive."

---

44. The Strangers: Prey At Night ⭐⭐⭐

My Letterboxd Review: "A decent enough sequel. The two mains were good. A bit silly and ott but sometimes I don't mind it.

One of those I'd buy if I saw it for under a fiver on blu ray or something."

---

45. Aquaman ⭐⭐1/2

My Letterboxd Review: "It was alright. Nothing particularly groundbreaking or extraordinary, which is slightly disappointing due to the character and where things could've gone, visually.

Story was hella generic and basic and as per with the DC movies, some of the 'jokes' fell flat. A lot of it just feels contrived and forced. Nothing feels genuine.

It was enjoyable to some degree though and the cast were good. A bit overlong, but a good popcorn filler sort of movie."

List:
41. Deadpool 2
42. The Spy Who Dumped Me
43. The Post
44. The Strangers: Prey At Night
45. Aquaman
47. A Simple Favour
48. Hereditary
50. Breaking In
---
51. Bohemian Rhapsody
53. Venom
54. Bird Box
55. Robin Hood
56. Red Sparrow
57. Tomb Raider
60. Widows
---
61. Ocean's 8
63. Thorougbreds
64. A Wrinkle In Time
66. Unsane
67. Rampage
69. The First Purge
70. Truth Or Dare
---
71. Downsizing
72. The Phantom Thread

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post Jan 19 2019, 11:37 AM
Post #19
Group icon
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
User: 21,666
I liked Solo and Bohemian Rhapsody

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Jan 21 2019, 12:13 PM
Post #20
Group icon

36 - 40

36. The Nun ⭐⭐⭐

My Letterboxd Review: "Enjoyable but over use of visual effects kinda ruin it! Especially when it came to Valak! I don't remember her being like that and find her a lot scarier in actual human form rather than over processed CGI pap.

Pretty chilling at times though. Jump scares aplenty too and as I said, it's actually pretty enjoyable."

---

37. Blockers ⭐⭐⭐

My Letterboxd Review: "I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would, but it's still your generic, teen comedy. John Cena has brilliant comedic timing and Leslie Mann forever showing that she is one of the most likable actresses in Hollywood right now."

---

38. The Breadwinner ⭐⭐⭐

My Letterboxd Review: "Nice film. Stunning animation. A story that's not complicated to follow. Probably wouldn't watch it again so soon, but good enough."

---

39. Isle Of Dogs ⭐⭐⭐

My Letterboxd Review: "Still not getting the hype surrounding Wes Anderson. This was ok, but again, another one which plods on for too long.

It was ok, but I'm not sure if I'd watch again."

---

40. Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again ⭐⭐⭐

My Letterboxd Review: "Just like the first, it's enjoyable and fun enough. You really can't take a film like this so seriously and you've gotta just take it for what it is.

Lily James is absolutely stunning. The best thing about this film? The chemistry between the cast. They love every single minute of being there and it really shows.

Good not great, but that's ok."

List:
36. The Nun
37. Blockers
38. The Breadwinner
39. Isle Of Dogs
40. Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again
---
41. Deadpool 2
42. The Spy Who Dumped Me
43. The Post
44. The Strangers: Prey At Night
45. Aquaman
47. A Simple Favour
48. Hereditary
50. Breaking In
---
51. Bohemian Rhapsody
53. Venom
54. Bird Box
55. Robin Hood
56. Red Sparrow
57. Tomb Raider
60. Widows
---
61. Ocean's 8
63. Thorougbreds
64. A Wrinkle In Time
66. Unsane
67. Rampage
69. The First Purge
70. Truth Or Dare
---
71. Downsizing
72. The Phantom Thread

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:40 PM