BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Artist News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Give Me All Your Luvin' ● 5 Years
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post Mar 19 2017, 01:49 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

Today marks 5 years since the physical release of the Nicki Minaj & M.I.A featuring lead single 'Give Me All Your Luvin''.

Madonna teamed up with French DJ and producer Martin Solveig (hot off the success of 2010's 'Hello') during sessions for the MDNA album. The original intent was to work together on one song, but they ended up making three songs, all of which made the final cut - 'Turn Up the Radio', 'I Don't Give A' and 'Give Me All Your Luvin''. Initially, there was a dubstep-inspired breakdown before the final choruses, but this was altered at Madonna's request, with Nicki Minaj and M.I.A invited to record raps over this. Madonna is said to have chosen these vocal features as they were both strong women whose represented values and beliefs that Madonna admired. The original demo remains available online following a leak back in November 2011, traced back to a Spanish "fan" who was later arrested and charged for copyright violations, three months before the song in its final form was intended to be released.

'Give Me All Your Luvin'' was released for digital download worldwide on 3rd February and partnerships with radio in the UK and US saw the song in immediate heavy rotation. Critics and fans alike were split - the cheerleader chants and the fun, bubblegum vibe were praised whilst others found Madonna's delivery flat and robotic, with the song referred to as being completely underwhelming in comparison with other Madonna lead singles. Nevertheless, the strong radio support saw the song debut at #13 on the US Billboard Hot 100 (airplay is included on the compilation of this chart) and the Super Bowl helped push the song to #10 the following week. This marked Madonna's first Top 10 since '4 Minutes' in 2008 and extended her record for the most Top 10 entries (38). Its performance in the UK wasn't as successful. Chart rules at the time (something to do with songs that were immediately downloaded if you preordered the album) deemed the song chart ineligible, until an amendment in its release was altered and it was eventually allowed to chart in its second full week of availability. Therefore, the song officially debuted at #37, despite it being estimated that it should debuted much higher if eligible to chart earlier.

The music video premiere coincided with the official download release, although it had been previewed a day earlier in an American Idol exclusive. It incorporates elements of the Super Bowl with football players following Madonna, supporting and protecting her as she makes her way through a suburban neighborhood. Nicki Minaj and M.I.A appear as cheerleaders who chant the song's hook, before all three ladies join in a club setting in Marilyn-inspired costume just before the rap verses. The video ends with Madonna holding up a football helmet as a trophy and posing for the camera. The video was again met with conflicting responses, comments that were quite similar to the song itself: the fun, light-hearted, cartoony feel was complimented by some but others found it too much of a parody.

To this date, 'Give Me All Your Luvin'' evokes strong responses from either end of the spectrum. What are your thoughts to the song? Was it a completely misguided lead single that stains Madonna's discography or should it not be taken so seriously and the fun, goofy, comical nature be enjoyed?

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
Comments based on a leaked snippet:

QUOTE(Liаm @ Nov 8 2011, 04:30 PM) *
Sounds great! Very upbeat and poppy, I can't see where M.I.A. would fit in laugh.gif I can hear a Nicki rap on it though.

QUOTE(liamk97 @ Nov 8 2011, 04:39 PM) *
I'm not too sure yet. I'm glad it's an upbeat song, but it's nothing really special just yet sad.gif

QUOTE(Tom *.* Kay @ Nov 8 2011, 05:01 PM) *
Sounds pretty good to me, although if it's not out until February then it's stupid o'clock for it to leak now.

QUOTE(J*hnkilometre @ Nov 8 2011, 05:13 PM) *
I shall use the following words to describe this: shit, pissing, legacy, embarassing. Fill in the blanks.

QUOTE(▲▲▲ @ Nov 8 2011, 08:53 PM) *
Leaked. One of the worst attempts at a pop song in quite some time.

Girls Aloud gone bad. manson.gif

QUOTE(Regina @ Nov 8 2011, 08:56 PM) *
This is only a demo though I think. I'm sure (hoping) that the final version is different.
I kinda like it though kink.gif

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
More:

QUOTE(J*hnkilometre @ Nov 8 2011, 08:59 PM) *
The spoken word section is every shade of shite known to man, but the rest of it is perfectly fine and catchy, if totally throwaway. I imagine a Nicki rap/MIA section would be CATASTROPHICALLY bad though.

QUOTE(Swagger91 @ Nov 8 2011, 09:03 PM) *
It sounds quite fun and fresh, and very 80's

QUOTE(Silver Rocket @ Nov 8 2011, 09:36 PM) *
It didn't sound so bad at first, but it's so so so terrible, I do hope the official version improves on this somehow. The chorus is limp as fuck and I can imagine Nicola Roberts' eyes streaming when she hears this...

QUOTE(CHЯIS @ Nov 8 2011, 11:06 PM) *
Hideous.

QUOTE(Conderella @ Nov 9 2011, 07:26 AM) *
Annoying.

QUOTE(SweetCandy @ Nov 9 2011, 03:01 PM) *
I'm not impressed - I hope it's a promo single or the single version is way better.

QUOTE(Liаm @ Nov 9 2011, 05:28 PM) *
I thought with the clip it would be much better, but I'm quite disappointed. It's fine and it's good, but it's not comeback single material for someone like Madonna... Fingers crossed it is just a B-Side or random leak or something.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
Comments following the simultaneous release of the song and video:

QUOTE(✡j₳rⓀ✡ @ Feb 3 2012, 02:07 PM) *
Stunning. Flawless. Slayed.

QUOTE(Swagger91 @ Feb 3 2012, 02:10 PM) *
I don't like the video much, but the song sounded great on the radio!

QUOTE(Aidan @ Feb 3 2012, 02:13 PM) *
I actually really like the song, the 'L-U-V, Madonna!' hook is very catchy! biggrin.gif The video is fantastic too, the only thing for me is the breakdown sounds a bit out of place with the rest of the song.

QUOTE(Regina @ Feb 3 2012, 02:15 PM) *
I am in L-U-V kink.gif

QUOTE(Simon. @ Feb 3 2012, 02:18 PM) *
It's amazing wub.gif was definitely worth the wait !! Love the video too.

QUOTE(Casey__ @ Feb 3 2012, 02:20 PM) *
Absolutely amazing. <3

M.I.A dressed as a cheerleader is giving me life. wub.gif!

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
More:
QUOTE(Arrs @ Feb 3 2012, 02:22 PM) *
Love it.

Although the version I have without Nicki and M.I.A. sounds better. laugh.gif

The video is pure class.

QUOTE(Cremey @ Feb 3 2012, 03:18 PM) *
MAYA wub.gif

She makes anything amazing. And I agree with Casey - love seeing her as a cheerleader! laugh.gif

QUOTE(Tom Krystal Kay @ Feb 3 2012, 03:22 PM) *
This biggrin.gif

Actually I haven't seen the video yet, but Nicki seems really jarring on the song :/ Apart from that though it's AMAZEBALLZ.

QUOTE(Nick F1 @ Feb 3 2012, 03:24 PM) *
great video, good song. loove nicki's part the most.

QUOTE(vibe @ Feb 3 2012, 03:24 PM) *
its good really fun! Love the boy toy references / image throw back!

QUOTE(Eyes @ Feb 3 2012, 03:25 PM) *
I am suddenly interested in this now. Madonna and M.I.A are right on form here. Nicki's bit sounds quite out of place in the song, but otherwise, a lovely song. Hope it does well for her.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
More:
QUOTE(Doug @ Feb 3 2012, 04:05 PM) *
well this is a bit disappointing. and by a bit, I mean very. sad.gif I want another dance stomper like 'hung up', not this!
I hope that there's better to come from her.

QUOTE(Atonement @ Feb 3 2012, 04:07 PM) *
This is incredibly bad, I'm talking about the song. The vid is OK. She looks more like Dolly Parton than Marilyn Monroe with that wig on though.
And somehow it feels weird seeing M.I.A. as a cheerleader.

QUOTE(Liаm @ Feb 3 2012, 04:09 PM) *
Really really love it wub.gif Nicki and M.I.A. bothh SLAY but obviously it's Madge who really brings it!

QUOTE(gooddelta @ Feb 3 2012, 04:20 PM) *
Loving it, much more accomplished than the demo with the Nicki/M.I.A. features and obviously in HQ. An excellent comeback single, instantly addictive, relevant and current but not particularly chasing trends like 4 Minutes was. This single, the single and album artwork, album song titles, the album title itself and video seem to suggest that this is going to be an excellent era.

Sounds like it will be her first out and out pop album for ages (I feel like she probably could have done this album in 1999 though, working with the similar sounding Beautiful Stranger as a base) and it's what she needed after the awful Hard Candy era. I just hope the album lives up to the hype, if it does then she'll have once again proven why she can never be written off.

QUOTE(JohnMK @ Feb 3 2012, 05:02 PM) *
HATE HATE HATE that chart rule!!

LOVE LOVE LOVE the video, she looks amazing and it's so much fun and clearly very tongue in cheek.

LIKE the song at this point, the Nicki rap is utter shit, but it's infectious.

QUOTE(Jáhq @ Feb 3 2012, 05:08 PM) *
Not amazing and I'm not keen on the chat but it's pretty good and catchy. Really like Nicki's verse even though it seems out of place.

That chart rule is complete and utter shit though. I was looking forward to hearing it on the chart show just two days after release a la 'Born This Way' (although not quite as high)

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
More:
QUOTE(ŋ CHARLIE ? @ Feb 3 2012, 05:10 PM) *
It's nowhere near as cheesy as I was expecting although it's sufficiently fun and tongue-in-cheek enough not to sound too serious. Quite like although on first listen the chorus isn't as instant as her last few lead singles (barring "Celebration" obviously).

QUOTE(THEO. @ Feb 3 2012, 06:31 PM) *
After three listens, I am hooked - Nicki is my highlight, and I like how she comes in instead of an extra chorus (which I can see get annoying). It's a nice comeback from Madonna though; it's obviously supposed to be a load of fun, and that is what it is, along with the video.

QUOTE(N-S @ Feb 3 2012, 07:25 PM) *
Not the stormer as most of Madonna's first singles are but nice tune.

QUOTE(Davidson @ Feb 3 2012, 11:20 PM) *
I am not even a big Madonna song and I am loving this even after 3 listens. It is stuck in my head, and has a good mix of the old classic Madonna, which it certainly stays true to but also updates her sound a bit. I really love the Nicki Minaj verse, although I can understand how people would find it jarring. L-U-V IT.

QUOTE(Silver Rocket @ Feb 4 2012, 12:39 AM) *
I actually LOVE it! The chorus isn't the strongest, granted, but the song just works and it's ridiculously catchy! Not generic either which could work to its advantage.

I have to say, I like the video a lot more than the song. Pretty epic as far as a good old fun pop video goes. My faith in her (at least for the time being) is restored, if the album's good I'll forgive her for Hard Candy (well, perhaps...).

QUOTE(Hayzayy @ Feb 4 2012, 10:35 AM) *
I actually really enjoy the song ! Nice lil song to chill out at home or do your gym laugh.gif

As for the video, it is a fun video but it's far from wow wow wow ...

QUOTE(Martinez @ Feb 4 2012, 12:02 PM) *
Love the video, the song does not hit me on first listen but could be a grower

Dying to see her do it live at The Superbowl

QUOTE(burning up! @ Feb 5 2012, 08:56 PM) *
I like the song, itīs really catchy, but it seems to me that itīs the frist single just because itīs semirelated with the cheerleader thing

+Quote this post
vibe
post Mar 20 2017, 08:02 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763
I do like the song but it's just not lead single worthy ! People do blame this for killing her radio support even though in America this was supported initially by radio .

I do love the Minaj rap ! NOW MOOOVE !

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Mar 20 2017, 08:13 PM
Post #9
Group icon
User: 13,007
I despised this (and most of the MDNA era) at the time. But over time, i've learnt to love it lmao. Proper fun and trashy and in your face. Obviously not a CLASSIC M tune, but for what it is, it does the job wonderfully. The features are really good and i'd die if I heard it on a night out *__*

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Mar 20 2017, 10:57 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
I've kind of gone through the motions with this throughout the years. I enjoyed it enough at the time, although I suspect this was because MDNA was the first Madonna era I was old enough to properly follow, but today I can't really listen to it and there's not many Madonna songs where I find myself having to tune off. The happy-clappy and gimmicky vibe can be somewhat catchy at times but for the most part it's quite half-arsed and cringy. The lyrics are so uninspired and the delivery of them suggests she knows they're shit, yet clearly it was thought as good enough to be the lead single. I could cope with it if it was a stand-alone single that coincided with the Super Bowl, but the fact it kickstarted an album campaign is unignorable.

I would blame this for killing off Madonna's radio support, specifically in the UK but elsewhere too. She got strong Radio 1 support during 2008 and they were prepared to back 'Give Me All Your Luvin'' too (I recall Radio 1 hyping up the song before its official first play, possibly first worldwide play). Even at a time where people were about to be hugely invested in the likes of 'Starships' and 'Call Me Maybe', I can totally see why the general public would completely snub this.

'I'm Addicted' should totally have been the lead single. I'd even have taken 'I Don't Give A' if they insisted on having a collaboration (for the record, I do like that song, but I don't think it's lead single material, although a much better choice than what we got).

+Quote this post
...ready for it
post Mar 21 2017, 02:36 AM
Post #11
Group icon
I'm not asleep, my mind is alive.
Pronouns: she/her
User: 1,454
Not one of my favorites.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post Mar 21 2017, 09:19 AM
Post #12
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116
Lol at this:

QUOTE(gooddelta @ Feb 3 2012, 04:20 PM) *
Loving it, much more accomplished than the demo with the Nicki/M.I.A. features and obviously in HQ. An excellent comeback single, instantly addictive, relevant and current but not particularly chasing trends like 4 Minutes was. This single, the single and album artwork, album song titles, the album title itself and video seem to suggest that this is going to be an excellent era.

Sounds like it will be her first out and out pop album for ages (I feel like she probably could have done this album in 1999 though, working with the similar sounding Beautiful Stranger as a base) and it's what she needed after the awful Hard Candy era. I just hope the album lives up to the hype, if it does then she'll have once again proven why she can never be written off.

I haven't listened to it since it charted, and certainly don't now consider it anything approaching an excellent comeback single.

I was right about her using the Beautiful Stranger sound as a base on the album though...in places anyway!

Just realised I posted that comment the day before I first heard Euphoria though, so maybe that's why GMAYL - and everything else - instantly departed my affections.

This post has been edited by gooddelta: Mar 21 2017, 09:21 AM

+Quote this post
post Mar 21 2017, 09:36 AM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931
Possibly her worst lead single.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Mar 21 2017, 05:40 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
I do think it could have been a decent song with a good chorus, it's just so lame. sad.gif

Great video though.

This post has been edited by mr_pmt: Mar 21 2017, 05:40 PM

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Mar 22 2017, 10:23 AM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
QUOTE(gooddelta @ Mar 21 2017, 09:19 AM) *
Lol at this:
I haven't listened to it since it charted, and certainly don't now consider it anything approaching an excellent comeback single.

I was right about her using the Beautiful Stranger sound as a base on the album though...in places anyway!

Just realised I posted that comment the day before I first heard Euphoria though, so maybe that's why GMAYL - and everything else - instantly departed my affections.

It did make me giggle when I saw this comment tbh! heehee.gif I see where you are coming from when you say it sounds like she could be using 'Beautiful Stranger' as the base of MDNA. As much as I love the Music album, I agree with your previous point about how she could have capitalised on the success of that song. I'm sure she said something about the album celebrating her love of music, which I'd have thought would suggest she'd be going for an all-out pop record that makes you feel happy and want to dance. Aside from the opening two tracks and 'Amazing' (funnily enough, a 'Beautiful Stranger' Part 2), the album is very mellow and folky and electronic.

She said something similar in regards to the aim of MDNA - how she had just completed a film and now wanted to make music that would make her move and make her sweat. That's true for the most part, but there's so many other problems with the album.

QUOTE(mr_pmt @ Mar 21 2017, 05:40 PM) *
Great video though.

I have an easier time enjoying the video for what it is than I do the song itself. It feels like a total parody, perhaps intentionally although it's not pulled off well, but there's enough going on to make it re-watchable and she does look great. I quite enjoy the Marilyn-esque scenes with Nicki and M.I.A.

I also remember the video being responsible for a lot of gifs, usually involving Lady Gaga.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 12:56 PM