BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
15 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Terra Avium National Thread, BJSC CLII: :o
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Brer
post 8th May 2019, 07:39 PM
Post #221
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

This is fabulous, I greatly approve of more modern versions of old folk songs being in the contest x
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 22nd July 2019, 03:40 PM
Post #222
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

BJSC CXVI: Nothing to see here

Our last offering we'll be able to gift to the BJSC masses before we give our feathers a breather in the contest for a while to deal with some unexpected political problems, but don't worry it's completely worth it, an all-star collaboration between the stars of the ricco label, a label speciailsing in Japanese cinematic post-rock/orchestral music, including long-time Terra Avium representatives, films making their main contest debut. It's a moving, desolate affair with strong percussion, building strings and wistful operatic vocals, it really pulls you in as you go along and the ending is breathtaking. Make this one do well guys, I'm relying on you xx And if you like this, do check out their other two simultaneous releases Missing and Unknown Error and the rest of the ricco label which also showcase the beautiful cinematic sound that can come out of Japan.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 28th July 2019, 05:51 PM
Post #223
Group icon

3 for 3 on the films songs being wonderful, this might actually be my favourite of the 3 heart.gif

I hope you'll only be missing the one contest after this!!

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 20th January 2020, 08:02 PM
Post #224
Group icon

Will 2020 be the year I actually remember to keep this constantly updated? We'll see, but might as well start out right.

Quick update for 2019.

BJSC CXVII-CXX catch up
Indian bagpipe dubstep craziness as my BIG COMEBACK wasn't quite as hot as I expected to say the least and beautiful soul-pop ballad from an artist from my new favourite country of South Africa also didn't, but did kinda well considering. Thankfully, I got my dues from the always classic piano ballad sound in this beautiful number from Efisio Cross with a picture that will make any Game of Thrones fans cry. It finished 9th, giving me a second top 10 hit of the year, I would go into my EOY stats but we haven't them yet as our provider is slightly late ;-) Can't argue with a year with just one DNQ though, a new record from us.

BJSC Christmas: Jingle all the way to the top!
It was a rather good festive season for us this year as the Christmas spin-off returned and we took the opportunity to send serial Terra Avium artist, Two Steps From Hell, fresh off winning a main BJSC contest and coming 2nd for yours truly in BJSC YBO, this one continued that run of form by finishing 2nd again....before a deduction to the non-voting winner meant we won cheer.gif Our third spin-off win after Andra Chansen and Halloween II, so I guess it's something in the seasons. Christmas playlists are probably tucked away now but we'd highly recommend you add Christmas Medley to your playlists for next time as it's a gloriously epic take on your favourite carols.

BJSC TBO:
...is ongoing! Please vote La Phaze in TBO Semi 1, we very nearly got Everdream to this stage, a great feat seeing it's dismal original result, but it alas just missed out.

BJSC CXXI: Sing my Angel of Music
And that brings us to our current entry and first of the new decade! It's not often we opt for covers, but this one is a metal re-imagining of the classic original that fits wonderfully that adds a real fear and dread factor to the already sinister song, the last minute opera closer particularly you really get the sense that the phantom is forcing the vocals out of Christine perhaps even more so than the original and it's gripping to listen to. It's most surprising that it comes from two YouTubers (who also do many metal Disney covers and Google Translate songs) who are certainly rather talented going by this. Quite the surprise package ;o

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 27th March 2020, 05:52 PM
Post #225
Group icon

Updating not going quite as well, but I'm back to it~

BJSC CXXII: Thinking Introspectively

We turned to our good old friend the piano instrumental last contest in a beautifully building and highly addictive electronic-tinged instrumental with a certain ~avant garde~ tone to it as the stunningly shot video filmed in Reykjavik, Iceland backs up with it's imagery. It's a thing of wonder though, and it gave us a very respectable 16th placing, a much better start to the year than the sad fate of the Phantom of the Opera last contest frustratingly missing out on qualifying by just a few points. It also won it's own battle in a rather rare occurence of there being two piano instrumentals in the final, with Persephonia sending the similarly haunting and avant-garde vibes of In Pursuit of Ghosts by Max Cooper and Tom Hodges. Sadly, this one didn't quite catch on as well, finished 30th.

And now this here contest

BJSC CXXIII: Azure approaching

For our mini landmark 80th entry, we send a song that is very much our thing. Fractal Dreamers have long been a favourite of the nation's music committee and have been making waves in external, underground contests with other entries for a while now so it was only a matter of time before they were entered to the main contest. A song just as epic as the images its title conjures up, it is a gloriously triumphant mix of orchestral classical music and drum'n'bass, electronic which moves at a breakneck pace towards a stunning crescendo. If you like this one, make sure to check them out on Bandcamp, their art style of music combined with modern electronic beats is really quite excellent and their EPs are all great listens.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 3rd April 2020, 11:16 AM
Post #226
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

Absolutely brilliant. Not quite on the level of Fortuna Redux but I'm fully behind this being a smash in the big fish. This *should* prompt me to check out more of their stuff really!

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 5th September 2020, 07:13 PM
Post #227
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308

Your new entry LCD Soundsystem - Seconds is great, reminds me a bit of the band Sisters of Mercy.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 5th September 2020, 08:39 PM
Post #228
Group icon

Ooh, great to see another fan, thanks, you've also reminded me how much of a flop I've been at updating this laugh.gif One day I will remember to do it per contest, let's start from now

-x-

BJSC CXXVII: A shot was heard around the world

For purely the fact that it was a random track I discovered last year, We've decided this month to send this album cut from last year's live album by LCD Soundsystem. If it sounds unmistakably 80s, it's because the song they're covering is actually from there, a song on the Dare album by the Human League which was written about the death of president, John F Kennedy, hence the rather bleak lyrics and morose tone, yet it still sounds striking and danceable with blaring synths and a very catchy chorus, and even more impressive given it was recorded live in the studio. I've seen comparisons to Joy Division and New Order in the YouTube comments and I can certainly see that too, have a listen and see for yourself~

+Quote this post
Thom Spirit Kay
post 5th September 2020, 08:40 PM
Post #229
Group icon
eat hot chip, be homosexual
User: 6,946

Love this too, you’d better make it in wub.gif

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 27th September 2020, 09:54 PM
Post #230
Group icon

BJSC CXXVIII: A confusing land

So this month, we quite unexpectedly have the job of co-hosting, so with the most rushed preparation for a hosting ever, there's a certain pressure to qualify else we'd be one of the few hosts in history to not be in the final they are hosting. But ultimately, we don't really like sending an 'obvious hit' as that's boring, so we sent this rather bizarre thing and just hope for the best. Called a 'break up song with the planet' (a sentiment that can definitely be understood in these times), this very strange, distortion-heavy, assault on the senses is accompanied by haunting Latin vocals from featured singer Lalita and a garish, trippy, rather disturbing video that makes this a notable one. Will probably charm and deter as many, but I hope some of you get some enjoyment out of this. Recommended for fans of Die Arntwood and Arca in particular~

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 2nd October 2020, 02:18 PM
Post #231
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

This is great, and better than their other entry from a few years back.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 22nd November 2020, 02:39 PM
Post #232
Group icon

The scenes of the last few weeks in the land of the birds could be described as 'disarray'. Following on a successful hosting job, morale was high as we sent our 86th entry, however disaster struck, as early projections did not look good for us and after various demonstrations we ended up finishing dead last with 3 points given to us by just one nation...

Never mind that our entry in question (Neev's Breathe) was beautiful and did not deserve that low, we couldn't even get that much sought after null pointer, preventing the first ever null pointer in a final and can't even get one back, unacceptable mad.gif

This has led to widespread outrage, with many claiming the three points we received were fraudulent and there have been multiple referrals to the Crown Pigeon Court as well opposition leader, Donald Duck, calling for foul play without any evidence.

Amongst all the craziness though, the selection process for next month's entry has become seriously faulty, with many putting the blame on both parties' extreme reactions to the last month and has resulted in our usual internal process going haywire and coming up with some bizarre choices, what punters are already calling the Meltdown contest.

Due to tensions in our own land and bird's general lack of ability to fix machines, we thus have no choice but to turn to the BJSC public for the first time in YEARS to decide which of these should be our next entry, though we should warn they are a little more left-field than usual.

...or who knows, we may have something even more insane up our sleeves ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 22nd November 2020, 06:06 PM
Post #233
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308

BUM BUM BUM

GOT ANY GRAPES???

iconic

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 22nd November 2020, 06:15 PM
Post #234
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804

!!!! I was introduced to The Duck Song by a friend a couple of years ago. I must admit I didn't get it but it would certainly be a choice in BJSC lol.

+Quote this post
✖ leww ✖
post 22nd November 2020, 06:47 PM
Post #235
Group icon
escape in the taste of summerrrrrr
User: 9,403

we're not encouraging this.

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post 22nd November 2020, 07:28 PM
Post #236
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Pronouns: he/him
User: 12,837

DUCK SONG PLEASE

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 23rd November 2020, 04:32 PM
Post #237
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,961

All four of those are better than the winner of the last contest. I liked the metal version of Thomas The Tank Engine the best.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 11th January 2021, 07:23 PM
Post #238
Group icon

BJSC CXXXI: Riding into bleakness

2021 has gotten off to a bleak start for many of the Terra universe, the alleged disease spreading from bats that had been plaguing Terra Mammalia for all of 2020 may have infiltrated the Avian border this year (not helped by the rambunctious and slightly out of control protests that occurred last year, resulting in what was one of our strangest entries closing out the year). Many of the nation was not in the mood to vote, so it can only be something bleak and depressing starting us off.

But really, this is a very gloomy and incredibly haunting piece of music that Varien wrote while she (yep it's she now, came out as transgender last year!) was in depression and this work really functions well as a musical representation to this. It's a vast and expansive piece of music that through three very distinct parts - experimental electronica, classical influences and chilling distortion - explores the pit of sadness. I wish it had some more visuals, it would make perfect music to a dark animation or something.

This truly beautiful piece of music compelled us to do the dirty act of self-recycling, but we hope it's worth it. The last time we sent Varien did result in a pretty heartbreaking DNQ that actually shouldn't have done so, more recent songs from him in both BJSC and other contests have done better so here's hoping for some justice to be done this time!

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 12th January 2021, 02:42 AM
Post #239
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308

just wanna point out bc i found out sometime last year/two years ago but Varien came out as trans! heart.gif

+Quote this post
Brer
post 12th January 2021, 04:44 AM
Post #240
Group icon

As it says in the post Chez made... kink.gif

+Quote this post

15 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 > »