BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> One Direction: The Singles Rate - Results, Updated History On Page 2
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Nina West
post 3rd January 2016, 01:17 AM
Post #21
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

I might just die inside

13. More Than This

Average: 6.396

Highest Rates: 10: (Joseph Carey, TheGrinch), 9.5/9: (Qween, Davidson), 8.5/8: (Acidburn, Beatrix Kiddo, AdventAloud, Riser)
Lowest Rates: 0: (***), 3: (Fgiboy2511)

At #13 we have the boy's most forgotten single More Than This, released in May 2012 as the 4th and final single from their debut album Up All Night. I would definitely say that this is probably one of their most underrated singles and by the time it was released, they were already household names and the album had already sold millions by this point and it just basically capitalized on their fame. The boys vocals sound really strong on this ballad and they carry it off really well and while it's not one of their more memorable hits, it's a definite high point and as an album track, it does stand out. Upon release it's success was strictly limited, charting in only 4 countries, charting best in Ireland with a #39 and top 50 in Australia and South Korea, then released as a digital download only in the UK and making only a small dent on the Top 100.

This post has been edited by Acidburn: 27th January 2016, 03:24 AM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 3rd January 2016, 01:20 AM
Post #22
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

More Than This wasn't actually pushed in the UK magic.gif An Australian-only single in fact. I wish it was released instead of Gotta Be You here sad.gif

+Quote this post
Jimmy Jam
post 3rd January 2016, 01:40 AM
Post #23
Group icon
tempted by kings with the finest of things
User: 21,231

QUOTE(JosephMendes @ Jan 3 2016, 01:20 AM) *
More Than This wasn't actually pushed in the UK magic.gif An Australian-only single in fact. I wish it was released instead of Gotta Be You here sad.gif

Completely agree. More Than The This would have been a far better first (and last) ballad release from the album.

Pleased it's lasted past quite a few songs tbh, it is a very good ballad, especially considering they were so new to the game. Think it's the right time though, the other 12 songs remaining are more of 1D classics wub.gif

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 3rd January 2016, 01:50 AM
Post #24
Group icon

We could be the greatest team the world has ever seen

12. History

Average: 6.933

Highest Rates: 10: (Maurice Pie, Merry Flynnmas), 9: (Joseph Carey, Acidburn), 8.5/8: (TheGrinch, Jimmy Jam, J*hq, Dobogan, Bartsimspon, Fgiboy2511, MIKEMYER)
Lowest Rates: 1: (UltraChristmas), 4: (Liam)

At #12 we have One Direction's swan song (for now) History, released in December 2015 as the 3rd and final single from their most recent album Made In The A.M.. This is a great way to cap off their 5 years in the business, with something more mature and a little different to what they done before, an almost acoustic track that still has that 1D sing a long chorus that's not a total farewell, but a goodbye for now. Originally Infinity, was gonna be a single, but the fans chose this instead, which in my opinion is more fitting as during the past 5 years they are one of the few who have grown more stronger and more diverse with each new release, while other boybands have faltered as the years gone by, 1D have just got better and better and while they take their well deserved break, it will be interesting to see what the boys will do next as they do have bright futures ahead of them and for me personally can't wait too see where they go from here. The music video which has just been released is indeed very moving and sums up their journey over the last 5 years with the boys in casual clothing set against a back drop of their journey as they close the first chapter of their careers. simple yet effective and so touching and emotional, seeing though how quick these last few years have gone by and how much they have grown. So let's hope that this isn't a farewell, but a goodbye for now and I would just like to wish them good luck for their next adventure.

This post has been edited by Acidburn: 27th January 2016, 03:25 AM

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 3rd January 2016, 01:55 AM
Post #25
Group icon

History is a great final pre-break song, I really like the track and I hope they'll be able to get a music video together for it, a montage one would be quite sweet!

+Quote this post
Jimmy Jam
post 3rd January 2016, 02:01 AM
Post #26
Group icon

sad.gif would have liked to see History be in the top 10, it was the perfect song for them to start their break with, and a music video is definite must. Though I wish they'd postponed the hiatus a little longer so this could have been single 4, after the release of What A Feeling.

Steal My Girl or Live While We're Young out next please

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 3rd January 2016, 02:19 AM
Post #27
Group icon

There's always room for common ground

11. You And I

Average: 7.129

Highest Rates: 11: (***, AdventAloud, HausofTyne), 10: (Jimmy Jam, Riser), 9.5/9: (Acidburn, Bartsimpson, MIKEMYER, James Silkstone, KWEEN DEE)
Lowest Rates: -1: (Dobogan), 2: (Fgiboy2511, UltraChristmas)

At #11 we have You And I, released in April 2014 as the 4th and final single from their 3rd album Midnight Memories. This is probably another one of their underrated hits that really comes into it's own when performed live at stadiums. Definitely one of their most grown up songs that shows that they have come a long way since their early days and taking a more soft rock approach with soaring vocals that makes the whole thing very elegant and along with a simple but effective music video that highlights the song's brilliance. Upon release the song did quite well, but not quite getting the success it deserved, but did manage to fare much better than the album's previous single "MM" by peaking at #19 in the UK charts and elsewhere charted in the top 10 in Ireland, along with top 20 peaks in Belgium and Scotland, then top 40 in Sweden, New Zealand, Australia, Swiss, Netherlands, Austria and Denmark.

This post has been edited by Acidburn: 3rd January 2016, 11:16 PM

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 3rd January 2016, 02:23 AM
Post #28
Group icon

Here's what's to come in the top 10 =

What Makes You Beautiful
One Thing
Live While We're Young
Kiss You
Best Song Ever
Story Of My Life
Steal My Girl
Night Changes
Drag Me Down
Perfect

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 3rd January 2016, 02:23 AM
Post #29
Group icon

I do very much like You & I but this position feels about right for it, it's not a huge 1D classic for me. It was lucky to get that #19 peak tbh, basically getting it through an iTunes error drama.gif

That is one hell of a top 10 wub.gif

+Quote this post
Jimmy Jam
post 3rd January 2016, 02:48 AM
Post #30
Group icon

Devastated sob.gif You and I is such a gem. Amazing top 10 regardless. Come on Kiss You (though I suspect we all know what is winning laugh.gif )

Also just noticed there is 2 from each album left! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Jimmy Jam: 3rd January 2016, 02:50 AM

+Quote this post
AdamAloud
post 3rd January 2016, 08:51 AM
Post #31
Group icon
I was born 7 million years ago in Sweden, Africa
User: 11,955

All you f**king w***rs who didnt want 'You & I' to be top 10 suck my d!!! 'Drag Me Down' didnt f**king deserve it again,, PATHETIC just like all you Zayn M haters!!!

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post 3rd January 2016, 12:05 PM
Post #32
Group icon
Former iconic poster with no consistent posting style
Pronouns: Don't take em seriously tbh
User: 21,005

The last few since I commented last don't do much for me apart from You And I which is great IMO. Vocals were very good and the video too even if the video apparently copied another videos concept? tongue.gif

+Quote this post
post 3rd January 2016, 12:35 PM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

I can't get into History at all, which is a shame as it could easily be their last ever single. I'm glad Steal My Girl has made the top 10, it seemed to be getting quite low scores.

+Quote this post
Slick
post 3rd January 2016, 01:41 PM
Post #34
Group icon
electric butterflies
User: 70

That's a strong Top 10 make no mistake.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 3rd January 2016, 01:50 PM
Post #35
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
User: 3,217

QUOTE(JosephMendes @ Jan 3 2016, 01:20 AM) *
More Than This wasn't actually pushed in the UK magic.gif An Australian-only single in fact.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 3rd January 2016, 11:10 PM
Post #36
Group icon

I got a river for a soul

10. Drag Me Down

Average: 7.516

Highest Rates: 10: (Joseph Carey, Acidburn, Jimmy Jam, Maurice Pie, ***), 9.5/9: (J*hq, Kylie Jackson, Dobogan, MIKEMYER, James Silkstone, KWEEN DEE, Christmas Jay), 8.5/8: (TheGrinch, Beatrix Kiddo, Mr Pmt, Bartsimpson, Slick, UltraChristmas, HausofTyne)
Lowest Rates: 1: (Joe), 3: (AdventAloud)

Kicking off the top 10 is Drag Me Down, which marks their first single since the departure of Zayn Malik. Released in July 2015 as the lead single from their 5th album Made In The A.M.. For all those who were worried that One Direction would lose their spark after losing one of their strongest members and slow them down, you don't have to worry as this totally smashed records worldwide upon it's debut and okay it's all probably from the hype of Zayn leaving, but that doesn't make this any less of brilliance as the boys are back on full force with anthem that not only progress's their sound from the last album, but brings back more of their pop driven sound without taking a step back creatively wise. Okay upon first listen you may feel that there's a little something missing, but the more you hear it, the more it becomes a 1D classic. Upon release like I said became a huge chart smash by giving them their 4th UK #1 as well as topping the charts in Australia, Austria, Czech Republic, France, Hungary, Ireland, New Zealand, Scotland and Slovakia. In the USA it became their highest debut by peaking at #3, becoming their biggest hit in 2 years, as well as becoming a success everywhere else by entering top 20 in almost every country it charted in.

+Quote this post
post 3rd January 2016, 11:14 PM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

It has grown on me a little recently but I still find this to be one of their weakest moments, and it's 100% their weakest lead single for me. 'Perfect' was a huge step up.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 3rd January 2016, 11:28 PM
Post #38
Group icon

All you f**king w***rs who didnt want Drag Me Down to be top 2 suck my d!!!

Steal My Girl didnt f**king deserve it again,, PATHETIC just like all you DMD haters!!!

(I realise this joke was already used )

Seriously though, I loooooove Drag Me Down, it's so incredibly underrated!

+Quote this post
Jimmy Jam
post 4th January 2016, 12:04 AM
Post #39
Group icon

Drag Me Down is way better than SMG or LWWY. Shame to be the first of the top 10 to go sad.gif

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 4th January 2016, 02:46 AM
Post #40
Group icon

Just pretending that we're cool

09. Live While We're Young

Average: 7.79

Highest Rates: 11: (KWEEN DEE), 10: (Adam's Satsuma, Acidburn, TheGrinch, Taylor Jago), 9.5/9: (Joseph Carey, Kylie Jackson, Slick, MIKEMYER, HausofTyne, Joe)
Lowest Rates: 2.5: (Merry FlynnMas), 4: (***, UltraChristmas)

At #9 is Live While We're Young, released in September 2012 as the lead single from their 2nd album Take Me Home. After the massive success of their first album and singles, many wondered could they do it again or just be a one trick pony. But of course they did it again and well and truly matched and lived up to the hype of their first era, coming back guns blazing with something that is just as stickly sweet as "WMYB", which kinda makes this a sequel of some sorts to that song and again braking records worldwide and sending basically everyone into a frenzy. While the song itself is very upbeat and just a load of fun, and while it may not break any new ground, it's still fun and really catchy with the music video perfectly captures the essence of the song with the boys having a summer adventure that looks so much fun, that anyone who sees it, wants to join in (I know I do). Upon release the song was gonna be a hit no matter what with pre-orders that go back to before the song was even heard and it didn't disappoint by peaking at #3 on the UK charts, becoming their 4th top 10 hit in just 12 months, and matched that peak in the USA becoming their highest charting hit at the time there. Elsewhere it topped the charts in Ireland and New Zealand and hit top 5 peaks in Australia, Canada, Hungary, Scotland, Netherlands, Denmark, Spain, Japan and Mexico.

+Quote this post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 12:18 AM