BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Niceland at 50!, FINISHED! Ranking our medallists across the years
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Riser
post 16th August 2021, 10:30 PM
Post #41
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534

I only just heard about TRU passing away, so tragic! sad.gif I'm so glad you liked 'Alone' and 'Who Says?' as much as me, I've had a pretty good track record with Christian artists!

'Bend' is my other fave from those sections, Christine & The Queens is an apt comparison! A well-deserved smash for Singerpurear.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 17th August 2021, 05:30 PM
Post #42
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

BJSC 98-107

Medallist Ranking

15/30: Bart & Baker feat. The Billy Bros Orchestra - We Are What We Are (Wolfgang Lohr Remix)
(BJSC 104 - FSR Rontvia - +18)

The music video doesn't seem to be playing for me right now - I hope that gets fixed as it definitely feels better with the video! I always love an electro-swing-dance mashup, which really made this song perfect for me. It still sounds fab now, and the crazy lady dancing for most of the song still gets me.

14/30: Fever High - Good Advice (ft. Jeff Goldblum)
(BJSC 102 - FSR Rontvia - +13)

If you had to make me put this song into a genre category I'd really struggle - it's like an alt-pop song with a spoken word bridge? Actually giving them a listen back to back WAWWA sounds a bit better but this was definitely a grower after the contest it was in, ending up as a rare Top 5 hit in my own personal chart.

13/30: Claptone - Birdsong (ft. Zola Blood)
(BJSC 106 - Jadakissnia - +18)

Still a tad confused as to why an English indie band decided to name themselves from a pun on the name of a South African middle-distance runner, but they did and here we are with Zola Blood. I still love the sound of this, a really minimal dark-sounding dance track with some almost-haunting vocals. It really has something to it that Claptone's more upbeat tracks lack.

12/30: Vremya i Steklo - Troll
(BJSC 105 - Vülkyria - +18)

The main guy in this music video has a lookk of Primoz Roglic which is a tad disconcerting. In other news, Vremya i Steklo isn't actually the name of the two members of the group but is actually the Russian for 'time is up', you learn sommething new every day. This definitely makesits way into the 'guilty pleasures' category, I don't tend to point Euro-pop so high but this was ridiculously catchy and has a completely bizarre music video to boot. I've not looked the lyrics up though and I dread to think what the song might be about!

11/30: RUFUS - You Were Right
(BJSC 100 - Bhangra - +15)

Another of the songs I knew before the contest now, this song still sounds great, with a chilled-out electro beat which makes it sound almomst a little bit like something from a mid-2010s Caribou album. This is the only song I've really gotten into by them but I'd certainly be up for giving them another go!

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 17th August 2021, 05:33 PM
Post #43
Group icon

QUOTE(Dobbo. @ Aug 16 2021, 08:28 PM) *
I remember Word Of Mouth just sneaking into my final point position on my last listen which I am eternally grateful for to prevent what would have the worst winner since I joined (sorry Freya!) I actually enjoy it much more now so really it should have got a lot more from me!

Poor Freya! I still quite like Lost Without You, although manybe a part of that was down to the surprising chart success it managed. Word of Mouth still sounds great though - thanks Dobbo!

QUOTE(Riser @ Aug 16 2021, 11:30 PM) *
I only just heard about TRU passing away, so tragic! sad.gif I'm so glad you liked 'Alone' and 'Who Says?' as much as me, I've had a pretty good track record with Christian artists!

'Bend' is my other fave from those sections, Christine & The Queens is an apt comparison! A well-deserved smash for Singerpurear.

Yes a real shame abou TRU, I realise this was the only song I knew with his vocals on. Bend remains a fantastic song even if I'd forgotten it in the meantime - thanks Jordan!

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 17th August 2021, 05:56 PM
Post #44
Group icon

BJSC 98-107

Medallist Ranking

10/30: Alida - Feathers
(BJSC 98 - Ramrynia - +15)

I think this is a different Alida to the one who's been having minor hits in Europe over the last few years? Their Spotify pages are different at least. Anyway, as for the song itself it's a really fun feel-good song with a music video themed around bullying (in fact she looks quite similar to the Saving Light girl?) although sadly for this girl creating a massive ginger woman didn't win her friends over.

9/30: Eva Simons - Guaya
(BJSC 98 - St. Burbia - +13)

The men in this video look like they're all about to start growing cress from their heads. As for the song itself, again it's not the sort of track I'd be naturally attracted to but all of it is so incredibly catchy with a real toe-tapping drop and unique vocals.

8/30: :PM - Grown Ups
(BJSC 101 - Suedeonia - +13)

Whatever happened to these lads? This is absolute banger and I could really do with some more tunes like this in my life. It's a fantastic little indie-rock piece which is an absolute toe-tapper and they look like they're just having so much fun in the music video! I met someone at Uni who knew this song actually, I think the only time I've met someone with a BJSC entry on their playlist!

7/30: Wallows - Pictures of Girls
(BJSC 105 - Ojnoj - +13)

Wallows' early music was just factastic and I have their appearance in this to thank for me discovering them. I think the lead singer is famous for appearing in some musical or something*, but I'm not particularly bothered by that, his vocals are incredible and has a real British twang to it despite him being American. This is also the highest track from my own contest so has clearly continued to grow on me!

*disclaimer: I do know 13 Reasons Why isn't a musical, however with my non-existent knowledge of anything fictional that's about as much as I know about it.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 17th August 2021, 06:22 PM
Post #45
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

It is definitely the same Alida as the one from the Robin Schulz hit (+ a few other minor dance collab hits), as I remember verifying that when someone tried sending said Schulz/Alida song to BJSC and got vetoed last year - I was going to say I don't know why her older stuff is on a separate Spotify page but I just checked and it isn't for me?

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 17th August 2021, 06:29 PM
Post #46
Group icon

QUOTE(Bré @ Aug 17 2021, 07:22 PM) *
It is definitely the same Alida as the one from the Robin Schulz hit (+ a few other minor dance collab hits), as I remember verifying that when someone tried sending said Schulz/Alida song to BJSC and got vetoed last year - I was going to say I don't know why her older stuff is on a separate Spotify page but I just checked and it isn't for me?

Just realised my mistake - there seem to be two versions of 'Feathers' on Spotify, one links to the Alida artist page and the other to a different artist page with only that album laugh.gif A tad random. Thanks for clarifying!

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 18th August 2021, 08:22 AM
Post #47
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

I still listen to We Are What We Are quite often. Great tune, very unique entry. If I remember rightly it was sent in hope of it being an AQ (thanks to Freya coming second ironically) but turned out it had to qualify and fortunately did so.

Grown Ups is the sort of song I'd usually hate especially with the terribly cringy lyrics (the Haribo ring line the worst offender) but it is somewhat charming.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 18th August 2021, 08:40 AM
Post #48
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

Enjoyed reading your thoughts about Claptone! I agree that they seem to excel at the more chilled electronic music, their recent James Vincent McMorrow collab is great too <3

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 19th August 2021, 04:49 PM
Post #49
Group icon

BJSC 98-107

Medallist Ranking

6/30: Badflower - Ghost
(BJSC 107 - Unovia - +15)

Well this is an incredible song - I'm not usually into the American rock-voice but this is one of a few exceptions to this. Musically it is fantastic, the song building continually as you go through it, but also the song taking on the theme of suicide makes it so much more emotional. Badflower are a great band and a great discovery from this contest, unfortunatley they could really do with sorting their language out as it makes a lot of their songs unlistenable but both this and 'Promise Me' are both still favourites of mine.

5/30: The Presets - 14U+14ME
(BJSC 102 - Alteria - +15)

The highest song in my ranking that I actually discovered via BJSC - although I almost certainly would have ended up hearing it had it not been sent - The Presets do have quite a hit-and-miss record with their singles for me but they have produced some real tunes in their time and this really is one of them, harking back to their earlier days. The sound in the drop is so uniquely Presets and I live for it, it's abolsutely what I need in a song and I really need to go back to songs like this one more often.

4/30: Riton & Kah-Lo - Ginger
(BJSC 107 - Utopia - +13)

Another song it feels a bit weird ranking as it was a #1 on my Personal Chart before it was enterd to BJSC, but it is a fantastic song so #4 is probably fitting. 'Ginger' is apparently Nigerian slang meaning liveliness (had to look on Naijalingo for that one, typing 'ginger in Nigeria' brought up some website for food imports). Also - Riton and Kah-Lo need to collaborate again ASAP as neither of their solo efforts have grabbed me as much as this era did!

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 19th August 2021, 04:51 PM
Post #50
Group icon

BJSC 98-107

Top 3 - Finalists (alphabetical order)

(Commentaries for these songs will come during the final ranking!)

Chromeo - Jealous (I Ain't With It)
(BJSC 100 - Trifoski - +18)

Les Rhythmes Digitales - (Hey You) What's That Sound
(BJSC 99 - Zanmatony - +18)

My Indigo - My Indigo
(BJSC 101 - Avalonia - +15)

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 19th August 2021, 04:56 PM
Post #51
Group icon

QUOTE(Dobbo. @ Aug 18 2021, 09:22 AM) *
I still listen to We Are What We Are quite often. Great tune, very unique entry. If I remember rightly it was sent in hope of it being an AQ (thanks to Freya coming second ironically) but turned out it had to qualify and fortunately did so.

Grown Ups is the sort of song I'd usually hate especially with the terribly cringy lyrics (the Haribo ring line the worst offender) but it is somewhat charming.

Again, your memory is much better than mine! Glad it did qualify though, a really good song. And I don't really mind the lyrics in Grown Ups but I can see how they might annoy you! Thanks Dobbo happy.gif

QUOTE(Jade @ Aug 18 2021, 09:40 AM) *
Enjoyed reading your thoughts about Claptone! I agree that they seem to excel at the more chilled electronic music, their recent James Vincent McMorrow collab is great too <3

Yes I'm really enjoying Wake Up at the moment, discovered it on your chart and it's in my own as well now so thanks for that! Thanks Jade happy.gif

+Quote this post
uhsting
post 19th August 2021, 05:03 PM
Post #52
Group icon
I feel it COMING!
Pronouns: he/they
User: 77,363

My Indigo!

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 20th August 2021, 05:14 PM
Post #53
Group icon

BJSC 108-117

Niceland's Entries

BJSC 108: Creye - Christina 9th - 235 points
BJSC 109: Gavin James - Glow DNQ - 25th in Semi - 27 points
BJSC 110: Sotiria & Unheilig - Hallo Leben DNQ - 26th in Semi - 27 points
BJSC 111: DHARIA - Sugar & Brownies 11th - 194pts
BJSC 112: Cavetown - Green DNQ - 22nd in Semi - 42 points
BJSC 113: Kokab & Beatchild - Bottom of You DNQ - 21st in Semi - 47 points
BJSC 114: Sander Kleinenberg - This is Ibiza DNQ - 24th in Semi - 20 points
BJSC 115: Teleman - Between the Rain DNQ - 30th in Semi - 18 points
BJSC 116: Kadebostany - Mind If I Stay 34th - 129pts
BJSC 117: The Makemakes - The Beach - DNQ - 29th in Semi - 14 points

Decade #3 for Niceland was considerably less successful for Niceland. It started off well enough, with our fourth Top 10 within the space of 10 contests for Swedish rock track Christina, however we then began to go downhill with sub-par performances for both Glow and Hallo Leben, both of which were well short of the qualifying mark and which I haven't been back to since. After that I decideed I needed to start the ext year off well and went with the most BJSC-friendly thing I could find, that being DHARIA's 'Sugar and Brownies'. It got a good result but was well away from my sound, I'm not proud of it and I've not done it again.

After that I went back to things which were more my style. Green was one of my favourite songs from that year, and missed out on a place in the Final by a matter of points (although did get redemption by making the final of TBO!), whilst Bottom of You did very similar, missing out on the Final by a tie-break in spite of my high hopes for it. I changed tack yet again with a long dance track in the form of This is Ibiza, which did even worse, and then changed tack again with Between the Rain which did even worse. A minor reprieve followed with a low final position for Kadebostany, however my next entry, The Makemakes (famous for setting a piano on fire and getting nul points at Eurovision) got the lowest score of the lot.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 20th August 2021, 05:15 PM
Post #54
Group icon

BJSC 108-117

Honourable Mentions

Plumb - Beautifully Broken (Mulgracia - 108 - DNQ (+12))

So many Christian songs end up DNQing and here is just another one, but it remains a fantastic song and deserved a lot more in this contest (I believe she's had hits as a featured artist but none have been as emotional as this one)

Cosmo Sheldrake - Wriggle (Kluminican Republic - 108 - +12)

This is ridiculously catchy - the deep voice, the random flutes throughout the track and the incredibly quirky music video all add to the charm of the song, which made it a real earworm for me after the contest and really should have gotten a Top 3 position for me.

The Interrupters - She's Kerosene (Land of DW - 108 - +11)

I remember now that BJSC 108 was probably the most closely fought for my top spots that I can remember - I knew this song beforehand so it topped my leaderboard on first listen but then fell to fifth place on second. It's such a punchy indie-pop song though which I still hear every now and again.

LVNDSCAPE (ft. Alida) - Riot (Lo Lo Loco) (Hendinia - 108 - +10)

Alida makes another appearance here! This is another song which grew on me after the contest, and actually managed a rather lengthy run in my Personal Top 100. It also got me back into LVNDSCAPE for a abit after I'd gone off him.

Fujiya & Miyagi - Collarbone (Fljotavik - 109 - DNQ (+12))

I adore this song - one of the songs I used to listen to a lot as a child so of course was delighted to see it make an appearance here. And of course it DNQd (boo Buzzjack) but it's still a masterpiece in my eyes.

Petit Biscuit - Suffer (ft. SKOTT) (Holland-Oats - 110 - +9)

This was the perfect winter dance tune, after the contest there was one week where I was obsessed with this. It has something somewhat charming to it that I can't really put my finger on.

Vulfpeck - Darwin Derby (Oslol - 111 - +9)

Of all the creatures in the sea my favourite is the BASS. Another of those this-should-absolutely-have-been-my-18 moments, this is an incredibly funky track that is such an earworm and I still get in my head every now and again, it made a decent showing in my EOY a few years ago as well!

Sleeping At Last - Saturn (Kluminican Republic - 112 - +11)

This one is interesting as I don't think I've listened to it once since the contest finished but I can still remember perfectly how it went. That's the hallmark of a good song right there.

Baiuca - Olvidame (ft. Aliboria) (Persephonia - 113 - +4)

There you go Bré, you get your mention! wink.gif This should definitely have gotten more than a +4 but I think the pressure of me never having pointed Persephonia before was a sticking point so it stayed that low. It did go on to be a Top 20 in my Personal Chart though, it's bizarre but in a charming way that made me want to hear more.

Tones & I - Johnny Run Away (Holland-Oats - 115 - DNQ (+12))

I'm quite surprised this DNQd (and also for the dislike on Buzzjack Tones garnered after Dance Monkey) - this sounds like it should be right up Buzzjack's street! Anyway, this remains my favourite song by Tones & I and all the fast singing really gives it a charm not many other songs manage.

Ten Tonnes - Better Than Me (Ajanaeda - 115 - +12)

I don't think I knew anything about Ten Tonnes before this entry but he really is rather quite good isn't he! This is a pretty catchy track, granted it's nothing like anything from his more recent EP but it's still very good.

Drab Majesty - Ellipsis (Aeroche - 116 - +9)

One of the best winners of the modern era, it really doesn't strike me as something I'd have expected to take the top spot but nonetheless it did and I was delighted. It continued to grow on me after the contest as well and I think it slipped into my EOY that year.

Desert Star - Carissa (Aelandor - 117 - +2)

Why I only gave this 2 points I have no idea, it's a masterpiece and went on to be a Top 10 in my Personal Chart. The vocals, the electronic backing and the riff all make this up to be a really good song.

+Quote this post
uhsting
post 20th August 2021, 05:50 PM
Post #55
Group icon
I feel it COMING!
Pronouns: he/they
User: 77,363

I remember Saturn here. This is such a beautiful song and I can't count how many times I have cried over this song sad.gif

+Quote this post
Brer
post 20th August 2021, 06:42 PM
Post #56
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

Impakt

(I don't think I knew that you ended up charting 'Olvídame' so highly! I guess I must have not really been paying much attention to other people's charts at the time)

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 20th August 2021, 07:56 PM
Post #57
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587

Ooh just spotted a mention of former Zanmatony entry from BJSC 99! cheer.gif

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 21st August 2021, 08:03 PM
Post #58
Group icon

BJSC 108-117

Medallist Ranking

30/30: Colleen D'Agostino - Disaster
(BJSC 109 - Aeroche - +13)

I can't get past the name and think about what would happen if Colleen Nolan and Gigi D'Agostino had a child together. Presumably it would end up something like this. This is a perfectly reasonable synth-pop song, but at the same time it's still a synth-pop song and not one that I can particularly call memorable unfortunately!

29/30: No_4mat - 1992
(BJSC 110 - Cumulonimbia - +13)

I'm quite surprised I gave this one so many points - from listening to it now it sounds very much just like someone repeating the word '1992' over quite a generic-sounding dance beat for 6 minutes. Oh well, I must have enjoyed it at the time! And it's not bad either, it just doesn't stike me in a way I'd expecta medallist to do.

28/30: Jem - You Will Make It (ft. Vusi Mahlasela)
(BJSC 111 - Rolloland - +15)

This is a slow song and that goes against it in a ranking like this, particularly when I didn't particularly listen to it post-contest because of how old it was. I think this got so many points from me because of how much I like Jem in general, maybe not just for the song in question. It's a perfectly nice song (and the interlude from Vusi makes it a bit more exciting), just maybe not the song I'd got back to the most from this album.

27/30: Tom Ferry - Off My Mind (ft. Lisa Ajax)
(BJSC 112 - Vulkyria - +13)

This is a decent dance song, and like most dance songs at this level the chorus far outweighs the verse, which is a bit of a shame. But the chorus is still sounding really good, and Lisa's vocals really do have a nice range don't they. If I remember correctly this scraped into my Personal Top 40 after the contest as well.

26/30: Sheila and the Kit - Time Again
(BJSC 109 - Terra Avium - +15)

I don't get my brain. Obviously when I first heard this I loved it, gave it 15 points and put it in my Personal Chart. On second listen (when doing this ranking) I could hardly make it through the song it grated on me so much. Now on third listen I'm quite liking it again! So I've moved it up from last place to 26th. It's certainly something a bit different anyway.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 21st August 2021, 08:35 PM
Post #59
Group icon

QUOTE(uhsting @ Aug 20 2021, 06:50 PM) *
I remember Saturn here. This is such a beautiful song and I can't count how many times I have cried over this song sad.gif

It really is a fantastic song isn't it, I'm glad it was entered here so I could discover it! Thanks Jack happy.gif

QUOTE(Bré @ Aug 20 2021, 07:42 PM) *
Impakt

(I don't think I knew that you ended up charting 'Olvídame' so highly! I guess I must have not really been paying much attention to other people's charts at the time)

Indeed, it grew in me a lot after the contest and would have had a good argument for being in my Top 3 that contest! (it outperformed all of my medallists from this contest but none of them were recent so were purposefully marked down so isn't as decisive as it sounds) Thanks Bré happy.gif

QUOTE(awardinary @ Aug 20 2021, 08:56 PM) *
Ooh just spotted a mention of former Zanmatony entry from BJSC 99! cheer.gif

A fantastic song and definitely worthy of a Top 3 place here! Thanks Wardy happy.gif

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 21st August 2021, 08:41 PM
Post #60
Group icon

BJSC 108-117

Medallist Ranking

25/30: i_o & Tommy Trash - Let Me Go (ft. Daisy Guttridge)
(BJSC 115 - Aeroche - +15)

i_o is another artist who is sadly no longer with us, and like with TRU this is the only song I really properly know from him. The verses aren't particularly special but it's the continuation form the build-up to the drop that really gets me on this one, it really is something special and different from a lot of the dance tracks that make it into this contest.

24/30: Daniella Mason - Cruel Summer
(BJSC 108 - Cor Lupus - +13)

Ah yes, this is the one with the Youtube comments complaining that the music video doesn't direct the viewer towards Jesus, which I find a strange remark for a secular song by an artist who I can't find any solid evidence for them being Christian themselves. Anyway, despite all their Q streaks this is somehow the only time I've medalled Cor Lupus but it remains one of the better pop songs in the contest and a worthy winner.

23/30: HYO & 3LAU - Punk Right Now (English Version)
(BJSC 110 - Daehun - +18)

I think there was a while where this was ranked lowest out of my +18s (in fact I think I did that ranking directly after this contest so it might have been biased!) although I don’t particularly think it’s too bad – it stands out from the other K-pop entries because it features a DJ and so has a nice dance beat. That beat is one of the things that instantly grabs me about this song, and hence why it ended up as my +18, but again it’s another song I’ve not been back to too much since its appearance!

22/30: G Flip - Killing My Time
(BJSC 112 - Harmonica - +15)

Was this really a Harmonica entry? I’ve always just assumed this was a Holland-Oats entry thanks to the Australian-ness of the artist. It’s a decent pop song with a cute music video that is just her in an airport (more artists should release videos like this, it’s more interesting than watching someone dance around with some coloured lights for three minutes!) Again not been back to this one much but it still sounds nice.

21/30: Charming Horses x byMia - Bad Look
(BJSC 117 - Oslol - +18)

I didn’t recognise the title of this song until I started playing it, but I think that’s because I’ve always been quite conflicted by it. On one hand it’s a really funky tune, mixing a little bit of swing at the start to a very Lush Life-esque chorus that really gets you dancing along. But unfortunately it’s very much marred by the fact she feels the need to swear in the chorus, meaning that I can’t listen to it at all with out swearing. Say some nice words instead Mia!

+Quote this post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 12:04 AM