BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Calum's Top 300 ∙ EOY 2019, COMPLETED: PAGE 7
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Calum
post 19th December 2019, 11:04 PM
Post #1
Group icon
nabad
Pronouns: he/him
User: 18,316

Hello to you, and welcome to my EOY countdown for 2019!

It's been a brilliant year for music and I can't wait to share with you my highlights from the year. I've made some incredible discoveries this year, as well as listening to more and more from established favourites as they've released more new music, or if I've gone back and listened to some of their back catalogue, or even after seeing them live - this year has been a big year for concerts, so that's really helped me connect with my favourite music more!

I've decided not to include music-related decade countdowns for songs or albums as part of this because I don't feel the countdown would be fully representative of my favourites from the last decade since some years I've paid so much attention to music, whereas others I've barely listened at all. So, as well as expecting the artists in my banner - Emeli Sandé, Shawn Mendes, Camila Cabello and Greyson Chance - to slay in terms of 2019, here's what else you can look forward to over the next few weeks:

Top 50 TV Shows of the Decade
Top 5 Artists of the Decade

Top 10 Artists of 2019
Top 10 EPs of 2019
Top 40 Albums of 2019
Top 300 Songs of 2019
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Calum
post 19th December 2019, 11:04 PM
Post #2
Group icon
nabad

Singles
29/12/2018 - ZAYN - There You Are (2 weeks)
12/01/2019 - 5 Seconds of Summer feat. Julia Michaels - Lie to Me (1 week)
19/01/2019 - ZAYN - There You Are (1 week) [3 weeks total]
26/01/2019 - Austin Brown - Mean (1 week)
02/02/2019 - PRETTYMUCH - Blind (1 week)
09/02/2019 - Jack & Jack - Promise Me (1 week)
16/02/2019 - The Chainsmokers & 5 Seconds of Summer - Who Do You Love (2 weeks)
02/03/2019 - Lauv & Troye Sivan - i'm so tired... (1 week)
09/03/2019 - Jonas Brothers - Sucker (2 weeks)
23/03/2019 - Emeli Sandé - Sparrow (1 week)
30/03/2019 - Greyson Chance - white roses (3 weeks)
20/04/2019 - Isaac Dunbar - pharmacy (1 week)
27/04/2019 - Daddy Yankee & Katy Perry feat. Snow - Con Calma (1 week)
04/05/2019 - Taylor Swift feat. Brendon Urie - ME! (1 week)
11/05/2019 - Shawn Mendes - If I Can't Have You (2 weeks)
25/05/2019 - Reuben Gray - Hallucinations (2 weeks)
08/06/2019 - Tiësto, Jonas Blue & Rita Ora - Ritual (1 week)
15/06/2019 - Katy Perry - Never Really Over (1 week)
22/06/2019 - Taylor Swift - You Need to Calm Down (1 week)
29/06/2019 - Shawn Mendes & Camila Cabello - Señorita (3 weeks)
20/07/2019 - Isaac Dunbar - ferrari (1 week)
27/07/2019 - Beyoncé - Spirit (1 week)
03/08/2019 - Why Don't We - I Still Do (1 week)
10/08/2019 - Lauv & Anne-Marie - f***, i'm lonely (2 weeks)
24/08/2019 - Normani - Motivation (1 week)
31/08/2019 - Reuben Gray - Temptation (1 week)
07/09/2019 - Taylor Swift - Afterglow (1 week)
14/09/2019 - Camila Cabello - Shameless (1 week)
21/09/2019 - Emeli Sandé - You Are Not Alone (1 week)
28/09/2019 - Emeli Sandé - Free as a Bird (1 week)
05/10/2019 - New Rules - 24 Hours (1 week)
12/10/2019 - Camila Cabello - Cry For Me (1 week)
19/10/2019 - Greyson Chance - white roses (1 week) [4 weeks total]
26/10/2019 - Camila Cabello - Easy (1 week)
02/11/2019 - Selena Gomez - Lose You to Love Me (1 week)
09/11/2019 - Dua Lipa - Don't Start Now (1 week)
16/11/2019 - Greyson Chance - Boots (1 week)
23/11/2019 - Taylor Swift feat. Shawn Mendes - Lover (1 week)
30/11/2019 - Ruel - Hard Sometimes (1 week)
07/12/2019 - JC Stewart - The Wrong Ones (1 week)
14/12/2019 - Harry Styles - Adore You (1 week)
21/12/2019 - Mabel - Loneliest Time of Year (1 week)
28/12/2019 - Harry Styles - Falling (1 week)

Albums
05/01/2019 - Andreas Wijk - Season 1 [Episode 01-14] (2 weeks)
19/01/2019 - ZAYN - Icarus Falls (2 weeks)
02/02/2019 - Jack & Jack - A Good Friend Is Nice (4 weeks)
02/03/2019 - Mitch James - Mitch James (1 week)
09/03/2019 - Jack & Jack - A Good Friend Is Nice (2 weeks) [6 weeks total]
23/03/2019 - Greyson Chance - portraits (6 weeks)
04/05/2019 - P!nk - Hurts 2B Human (3 weeks)
25/05/2019 - Matteo Markus Bok - Cruisin' (1 week)
01/06/2019 - Rita Ora - Phoenix (1 week)
08/06/2019 - Matteo Markus Bok - Cruisin' (1 week) [2 weeks total]
15/06/2019 - Jonas Brothers - Happiness Begins (3 weeks)
06/07/2019 - Kylie Minogue - Step Back in Time: The Definitive Collection (1 week)
13/07/2019 - Lil Nas X - 7 - EP (1 week)
20/07/2019 - Isaac Dunbar - balloons don't float here (2 weeks)
03/08/2019 - Josh Mac - PARTY BUTTER (1 week)
10/08/2019 - Greyson Chance - portraits (3 weeks)
31/08/2019 - Taylor Swift - Lover (3 weeks)
21/09/2019 - Emeli Sandé - REAL LIFE (4 weeks)
19/10/2019 - Greyson Chance - portraits (3 weeks) [12 weeks total]
09/11/2019 - Emeli Sandé - REAL LIFE (3 weeks) [7 weeks total]
30/11/2019 - Ruel - Free Time - EP (2 weeks)
14/12/2019 - Camila Cabello - Romance (1 week)
21/12/2019 - Stormzy - Heavy Is the Head (2 weeks)

+Quote this post
Riser
post 20th December 2019, 03:23 AM
Post #3
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534

Hype!

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 20th December 2019, 10:14 AM
Post #4
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

Certainly a good number of #1s there and a good mix as well! Looking forward to this starting biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Calum
post 20th December 2019, 01:06 PM
Post #5
Group icon
nabad

QUOTE(Riser @ Dec 20 2019, 03:23 AM) *
Hype!

QUOTE(Shepeteherd @ Dec 20 2019, 10:14 AM) *
Certainly a good number of #1s there and a good mix as well! Looking forward to this starting biggrin.gif

Thanks so much Jordan and Pete!! biggrin.gif Will kick things off soon once I've finalised the first countdown!

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 20th December 2019, 01:19 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 18,293

I'm liking a few of your #1s of the year.

Excited to see this start biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Calum
post 20th December 2019, 08:32 PM
Post #7
Group icon
nabad

Let's get the ball rolling then! We'll start with the TV highlights (and lowlight; singular) of the last decade!

The 2010s have been an incredible time for TV. The way we watch television has changed drastically, moving away from live viewing on our old favourites like BBC One and ITV. Instead, we binge until our hearts are content on streaming services galore such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, BBC iPlayer, etc. Some of the finest TV moments of the last decade have originated on these platforms, but then we have some from the beginning of the decade, or even still towards the end, from the BBC, ITV, Channel 4, American network channels, etc that still find their way into my heart.

With so many new series' dropping on streaming services all at once, it's hard to keep up sometimes - but as more and more begin to emerge, it's something I'm very much looking forward to investing time in heading into a new decade in 2020! With Apple TV+ and BritBox taking off now too, it'll be interesting to see if there's any standout original content that they come up with to worm into my affections and keep me entertained for another ten years.

Without further ado, let's get the negativity, with a sprinkling of positivity, out of the way...

Dishonourable Mention:

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Seasons 1-13

I started watching It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia back in August (I think), and it took me until just recently to slog through all thirteen (!!) available seasons on Netflix. I knew from the offset that it probably wasn't going to be to my tastes, but I thought I'd give it a try anyway and see if I could stick with it. In its first season, from the episode titles alone, you could tell that they were trying to tackle serious issues and make a comedy out of it, through the eyes of a group of literally the most selfish, disgusting, annoying people you could come across (although it's a sad fact that they're probably pretty representative of some people in the world today...).

I managed to make it all the way to the end of season 13 without switching off, and while there are definitely saving graces in the show (it has Dee and Charlie to thank for not being completely unwatchable), it's not a show I'm proud to say I've watched, or one that I'll likely ever re-watch. Its attempt to tackle issues such as homophobia, racism, abortion, #MeToo, gun violence, transphobia, and basically any other controversial issue where there are two very conflicting sides to an argument is quite possibly one of the biggest misfires I've witnessed. I'd like to think that in the writers' minds they want to convey the likes of Mac, Dennis and Frank as the people in society we should be questioning, that we should be against and that we should be obliterating - but it's hard to believe that at all when they think it's acceptable to have, not just one but many, scenes where black-face is used, homophobia, transphobia and xenophobia is riddled throughout the dialogue.

It's safe to say that It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is probably one of those shows that straight white males think is absolutely hilarious and one of the best things since sliced bread - but when it has such incredible characters in both Charlie and Dee who hold their own with storylines that don't involve any of the above seriously concerning attitudes, why do they depend on it so much? I have to praise both actors there because they really do create some of the most magical moments of the show.

Next: Honourable Mentions

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 20th December 2019, 08:33 PM
Post #8
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
User: 13,530

I'm hoping this top 10 is FUUULLLLLLLLL of chippendales x

+Quote this post
Calum
post 20th December 2019, 09:28 PM
Post #9
Group icon
nabad

QUOTE(JosephCarey @ Dec 20 2019, 08:33 PM) *
I'm hoping this top 10 is FUUULLLLLLLLL of chippendales x

+Quote this post
Calum
post 20th December 2019, 09:50 PM
Post #10
Group icon
nabad

Honourable Mentions:

3% Season 1
Champions Season 1
Chicago Med Seasons 1-4
Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life Parts 1-4
Good Girls Season 1

3% was a revelation to me at the time when I watched it. I'm not often a fan of foreign-language TV shows or films, because I'm lazy and don't like having to follow subtitles (and, at the same time, listening to something with English audio and it not matching their lips annoys me too lmao), but that all changed with this show. This had such a clever storyline and format. It was all about 3% of the population going through a series of mind games, tests, challenges, etc - a bit like the Crystal Maze but with a LOT more at stake. It was such an entertaining, thrilling series and I really need to check out the second and third seasons! Champions was a short-lived comedy series on Netflix (why do they cancel everything that's good?!) following the story of a young boy trying to find his birth father, and everything that happened after that. It was thoroughly entertaining and while the father wasn't the most likeable character, Andy Favreau, the uncle in the story, totally made up for that.

Chicago Med came at just the right time when I was starting to tire of Grey's Anatomy just a tad. It offered a fresh perspective on hospital dramas, and it had Torrey DeVitto of Pretty Little Liars fame, so I was hooked from that alone! The storylines were hard-hitting and while I'm yet to fully catch up, it'll be interesting to see what character development they have in store moving forward. I only watched all of Gilmore Girls last year, and then when A Year in the Life came along, that was a welcome surprise! While it didn't quite manage to capture the magic of the series itself, it was nice to catch up with the characters all these years later and see what they had been up to. But then they HAD to go and leave us with that cliffhanger... Good Girls was a memorable series from this decade too. Following a group of American mums who accidentally end up committing crimes and living lavish lifestyles as a result, it's a thoroughly entertaining and hilarious romp from start to finish, while at the same time offering some hard-hitting, tense scenes with murder, violence and gangs thrown into the mix too! I've not watched the second season yet, but I cannot wait to see how things unfold after the ending of the first season!

Instant Hotel Seasons 1-2
New Girl Seasons 1-5
Safe Season 1
Travelers Season 1
You Season 1

I really need to start watching more Australian reality television shows, because if they're anything like Instant Hotel then I'm sure I'd love them. This show follows a group of couples who visit one another's hotels, rate their stays and then a winner is crowned. It's a bit like Four in a Bed (UK), but just a tad more entertaining. There are plenty characters to love (and loathe), and some absolutely stunning homes to gawp over. New Girl... admittedly I haven't watched in a while but it was worth a mention here. I can't really remember much, but I know I love it and I know that Schmidt is one of the funniest, most precious TV characters.

Safe, another one that I found on Netflix, was a gripping thriller about abduction. With a fantastic cast and such a tense storyline from start to finish, it had all the makings of a perfect series. I do remember feeling a little deflated by the ending, but only because the build-up had been so brilliant. It was a classic whodunnit, but with so many twists and turns along the way that kept you on your feet, wondering who actually did it right to the last minute. Travelers, again, I haven't watched since its first season but it was a really fun, sci-fi ride. Given my love for Doctor Who, it was obvious this was something I'd be taken in by, so I really ought to get caught up since we won't be getting any more seasons. Finally in the honourable mentions, we have You - the psychological Netflix thriller that landed on Boxing Day last year, with its second season coming on the same day this year. While Penn Badgley always seems to play characters that I absolutely loathe with a passion, this was a really good story, despite at most points being completely creepy. The last episode had me on the edge of my seat, and I think it delivered an, overall, really satisfying conclusion.

Next: 46-50 (TV Shows of the Decade)

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 20th December 2019, 10:08 PM
Post #11
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308

YAS @ Chicago Med (one of the shows I started watching religiously after Teen Wolf) being on here! I actually visited the hospital where they shot scenes that were outside the ER setting when I went to Chicago. April and Ethan are by far my favorite dynamic of the show especially because they’re such character foils of each other; Ethan being the more rigid (almost to the point of controlling) figure while April operates on compassion and is more morally fluid. Can’t wait until you get to Season 5.

Chicago Fire would be a good recommendation for you if you do end up getting sucked into the Med vortex (if you’re not allergic to the machismo that is, the most recent seasons have done the best in developing their female ensemble).

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 20th December 2019, 10:09 PM
Post #12
Group icon

Watch more Travelers please!!! wub.gif wub.gif Season 2 is where it REALLY gets going!

+Quote this post
Calum
post 21st December 2019, 01:40 AM
Post #13
Group icon
nabad

QUOTE(Cody Snomberry @ Dec 20 2019, 10:08 PM) *
YAS @ Chicago Med (one of the shows I started watching religiously after Teen Wolf) being on here! I actually visited the hospital where they shot scenes that were outside the ER setting when I went to Chicago. April and Ethan are by far my favorite dynamic of the show especially because they’re such character foils of each other; Ethan being the more rigid (almost to the point of controlling) figure while April operates on compassion and is more morally fluid. Can’t wait until you get to Season 5.

Chicago Fire would be a good recommendation for you if you do end up getting sucked into the Med vortex (if you’re not allergic to the machismo that is, the most recent seasons have done the best in developing their female ensemble).

Ooh, so now when you see it in the episodes you can shout I'VE BEEN THERE!!!1! laugh.gif Part of me really likes Ethan, but part of me really cannot stand him either kink.gif

I am actually interested in watching all the other Chicago shows, but it's just finding the time really lmao. Have you watched Chicago P.D? Is that worth it too? I'll need to check out Chicago Fire when I get a chance though!

QUOTE(JosephCarey @ Dec 20 2019, 10:09 PM) *
Watch more Travelers please!!! wub.gif wub.gif Season 2 is where it REALLY gets going!

I will watch it at some point, although it's probably nearer the bottom of a never-ending list now laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Calum
post 25th December 2019, 05:25 PM
Post #14
Group icon
nabad

46-50:

46 Glee Seasons 2-6
47 Supergirl Seasons 1-3
48 Bates Motel Seasons 1-5
49 American Horror Story Seasons 1-7
50 Great News Seasons 1-2

Now the countdown begins! We fire straight into the top 50 with five all-American TV shows - the first of those being Great News at #50. Great News was another I found on Netflix, and sadly it was cancelled after just two seasons. I can see why, but I really wish more episodes had been commissioned because it was such a thrill to watch! All of the characters were very easy to like and the storylines woven throughout alongside the comedy and hilarity were really interesting and I really felt a connection to all of the main (and even most of the supporting!) cast. Again though, it's not unlike Netflix to cancel TV shows just as we're beginning to love these characters and the journey they're on.

American Horror Story, maybe surprisingly, is at #49. Although it has had some proper stand-out seasons, the reason it's finished so low in my top TV shows of the decade is when they have a bad season, they have a REALLY bad season. Spanning the entirety of the decade, we started our journey with our rotating cast in Murder House. We had some stellar performances from Connie Britton and Jessica Lange and it had all the makings of becoming a future classic. It hit the nail on the head perfectly with its horror elements, its sci-fi elements, as well as its more out-there, fantasy, unrealistic elements. Season 1 passes, and then we have Asylum. This is when my interest in the show peaked (despite being absolutely terrifying and giving me nightmares for so long!!). There are very few series of a TV show that can compare to the quality of this season. Although near-perfect though, my only qualm with this season was the unsatisfying ending with the alien abduction, etc. It all detracted from what was possibly one of Jessica Lange's finest performances, and cemented her place as one of my new favourite actresses. I quickly lost interest in the show by the time Freak Show came around, but my interest was reignited when Lady Gaga was cast in the role of The Countess for Hotel - AHS' fifth season. Hotel was a magnificent return to form, and I was still thoroughly enjoying the show by the time the end credits rolled on Roanoke. However, I am yet to watch the majority of Cult and have not watched any of Apocalypse or 1984. Maybe in 2020...

Bates Motel, I always knew I was going to be at least a little creeped out by. I'm always intrigued to watch stories about serial killers, their motives, what drives them to do the things that they do, etc. So to see this all in dramatised format, and with a whole bunch of characters that you really grow to love, was heartbreaking. Freddie Highmore delivered an eerie, menacing, other-worldly performance of Norman Bates for the whole five seasons of the show, becoming more and more deranged, delusional and psychotic with each season. I really commend him for everything he put into the role. The pacing of the show was perfectly executed with a satisfying ending that leaves you throwing your hands in the air and rejoicing! I don't think it's a show I'll go back and watch in the very near future, but I can definitely imagine falling in love with it all over again a few years down the line.

Supergirl came at a time when I was beginning to enter the Arrow-verse. I had started watching The Flash, so naturally I was intrigued by Supergirl. Melissa Benoist and Chris Wood were both starring - and having known both from Glee and The Vampire Diaries respectively, I had to give it a go. Most of the episodes follow the same format as any other Arrow-verse or The CW show so sometimes it can feel a bit strained, repetitive with me finding myself bored or waiting to see how long there is left of an episode, but for the most part this is a show that you can enjoy so much when taking it all at face value! There are so many unrealistic elements to this show, but I guess you have to be willing to believe in all of the superhero kind of stuff to immerse yourself in the world. I think the one thing I enjoy most about the show, though, is its ability to tackle some serious issues, or represent minorities that aren't on other TV shows. But it also has action packed throughout with some killer storylines, and I was living for Teri Hatcher popping up throughout season 2 as a not-so-frightening nemesis for Kara!

Finally in this section, we have Glee. Although its first season aired last decade, we still had five seasons worth of the show to enjoy in the 2010s and it was such an emotional, thrilling journey from start to finish! I remember my first time watching Glee was on a family holiday with my brother when the first two seasons were released on DVD. We didn't leave the cottage we were staying in to go out and do things with my mum and dad - instead we lay in bed all day and managed to get through both seasons in just a couple of days! From there on, I was 100% invested in the show, however as a flop fan I am yet to see any of the final season! Glee was very good at its emotionally powerful storylines. From Quinn's disaster car crash to dealing with the aftermath of Cory Monteith's death, it really knew how to pack a punch and make you feel all the feels - with the power of music and song added in too. For all the naysayers that will trash-talk their covers of some of their favourite songs, if you can look beyond that Glee really is just like any other fantastic American TV show, able to deliver everything you'd ever want from a show about kids in high school trying to navigate the struggles of modern life, achieving their dreams, and more.

Next: 41-45 (TV Shows of the Decade)

+Quote this post
Calum
post 27th December 2019, 10:45 PM
Post #15
Group icon
nabad

41-45:

41 Once Upon a Time Seasons 1-7
42 The IT Crowd Series 1-4 & Special
43 Hunted Series 1-4 & Celebrity
44 Russian Doll Season 1
45 The Fosters Seasons 1-4

First up here we have The Fosters - Freeform's family drama about the Adams-Foster family and their journey through fostering and adopting children, and all the drama in-between. Although the show predominantly focuses on main character Callie's journey from living 'in the system', to being fostered and eventually adopted, it has so much to enjoy elsewhere with major storylines for all of its central characters including her little brother Jude, twin brother and sister Jesus and Mariana, as well as... Brandon, mum Stef's biological son. Brandon was one of my biggest peeves with the show. I'm totally not here for Brallie, or any of Brandon's drama that followed with new girlfriends, his wishy-washy attitude towards college, etc. He's probably one of the most unlikeable television characters of the decade for me, oops. In terms of the show's highlights though, Stef is a true gem. She was immediately the one character I loved when I started watching the show, and throughout to the end she has been the driving force that kept me watching, longing to find out how her story plays out. Her storyline in the show's first season that sees her shot when called out on work was so dramatic and tense, and I did shed a few tears. As well as that, the show managed to keep us on the edge of our seats with storylines including Callie's biological father showing up, Jesus and Mariana's biological mother coming into the picture, as well as exploring themes delicately and sensitively including acknowledging the trans community greatly, LGBTQ+, alcohol, drugs, gun violence, etc.

Netflix original Russian Doll is one of the most recent shows to appear in the countdown, having premiered just this year on the streaming service. Starring Natasha Lyonne of Orange is the New Black fame, the show became an instant favourite of mine given its entire premise. Being a massive Doctor Who fan, the entire premise of having somebody die on their 36th birthday, only to get stuck in a time loop and relive that night over and over again (dying over and over again too!) until they solve the mystery as to why it's all happening, is just brilliant! Natasha does a fantastic job as the lead character, and the twists and turns the show took with each episode left you wanting more despite the premise of the series potentially running out of steam after a couple of episodes - the scenes both in the lift when she meets the first 'other person' who has experienced the same thing she has, as well as the one with the gas stove being prime examples of just how clever the show proved itself to be. Given it's been commissioned for a second season too it'll be interesting to see what direction they take the show in now!

Taking a break from scripted television shows, we head to Channel 4's reality TV series Hunted. The show follows a large group of people known as Hunters doing all they can to track down Fugitives - participants who have gone on the run and try to stay in the shadows, hiking lifts up and down the UK, hiding out in regular people's homes, to avoid capture. I first watched the show when the Celebrity version for Stand Up 2 Cancer aired, starring the likes of Vicky Pattison, Chris and Kem, AJ Pritchard, etc. I didn't realise just how invested in the show I would become - five minutes into the first episode and I was already screaming at my screen hoping Vicky did all she could to avoid the Hunters. As well as the Celebrity version, there are also civilian versions of the show, much like Big Brother - and these were just as entertaining. Thus far there have been four civilian series and all four have had me just as gripped, entertained and willing for the civilians to make it to the finish point and avoid being caught! Really easy to say this has been such a television highlight of the decade for me and I can't wait for more!

Despite being quite a few years old now, and with most of the show airing in the 2000s, it wasn't until earlier this year that I watched The IT Crowd on Netflix. I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I do, but it really exceeded my expectations and has probably become a real favourite of mine now. I'm not all that keen on Richard Ayoade outside of the show, but in this he was comedy gold. His vulnerability and complete lack of awareness at points was hilarious. It's one of those comedies that really pushed the boundaries in ways that brand new shows these days very rarely do - and it's all the more hilarious for it! Although there are still many more comedies that I've watched over the years that would be ahead of The IT Crowd in terms of quality and how many laughs they still give me however many years later, this is a show I'll be happy to revisit more than once!

Landing just outside the top 40 TV shows of the decade, we have Once Upon a Time - a series that has dominated the 2010s having started in 2011 and running through until 2018 for a grand total of seven seasons! The premise of the show is pretty basic, however could be confusing for some at the beginning. The show follows the same, somewhat predictable after you've made your way to season 7, format for almost every episode - setting up a storyline in modern-day, and linking it back somehow to a character's past with flashback scenes to other realms, i.e. the Enchanted Forest. Although the show followed this routine for its entirety, it wasn't quite for this reason that I found myself bored by the time the final season rolled around. When season 6 came to an end, it seemed like the most natural, wonderful, beautiful ending for all of these characters that we'd been on an incredible journey with for the last six years. That wasn't meant to be though. Instead, the writers attempted to ignite a new spark in the show and repeat the same storyline that the show's first season followed, but changing the characters to make it appear different. This was a major downfall for the show in my opinion. Season 7 wasn't without its great moments, but you're left at the end of it feeling it was wholly unnecessary and simply a reason to flog a dead horse. I'll forever be thankful to the show though for introducing me to the likes of Emma Swan and Regina / the Evil Queen, Rumplestiltskin / Mr Gold who have undoubtedly become some of the most iconic TV characters of the decade!

Next: 36-40 (TV Shows of the Decade)

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 28th December 2019, 01:10 PM
Post #16
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

I still need to go back to Glee now it's on Netflix, it'll be interesting going back as I know it was awful towards the end but it was such a huge part of my teenage years! Agreed totally on AHS, it's very all or nothing. I haven't loved a season since Ronaoke and before that was Coven, a lot of the time the series is so bad that I give up partway through, I didn't bother at all with 1984 because I just got fed up of it all and it didn't interest me knowing we didn't have Evan or Sarah anymore.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 28th December 2019, 05:22 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

I'm also going to pop into your thread to say hi as I don't think I've watched any of these shows kink.gif Then again I don't watch too much TV as a whole (and if I do it's usually panel shows/sports) so I'm sure I'll be more active when we get to the music section!

+Quote this post
Calum
post 1st January 2020, 04:40 PM
Post #18
Group icon
nabad

QUOTE(Liаm @ Dec 28 2019, 01:10 PM) *
I still need to go back to Glee now it's on Netflix, it'll be interesting going back as I know it was awful towards the end but it was such a huge part of my teenage years! Agreed totally on AHS, it's very all or nothing. I haven't loved a season since Ronaoke and before that was Coven, a lot of the time the series is so bad that I give up partway through, I didn't bother at all with 1984 because I just got fed up of it all and it didn't interest me knowing we didn't have Evan or Sarah anymore.

I need to watch it on Netflix too - I don't think I've ever watched it more than once when I originally did, oops. It really was such a major part of growing up though, you're right! wub.gif Yeah, you're right with AHS too - I've tried to watch Cult since it was added to Netflix, but I just end up giving up because I can't get into it. Shame to hear Evan and Sarah aren't in 1984 either - more reason not to continue watching!

Thanks for commenting Liam! biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Shepeteherd @ Dec 28 2019, 05:22 PM) *
I'm also going to pop into your thread to say hi as I don't think I've watched any of these shows kink.gif Then again I don't watch too much TV as a whole (and if I do it's usually panel shows/sports) so I'm sure I'll be more active when we get to the music section!

Afraid to say there won't be (m)any panel shows or sports in this countdown Pete! Look forward to seeing you once we get to the music side of things!! biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 1st January 2020, 10:15 PM
Post #19
Group icon

Finish The Fosters you COW

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 3rd January 2020, 01:44 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,723

Really excited for your lists Calum!
I haven't watched any TV shows so far this year, but maybe in 2020, I will have time to maybe make my own TV show year-end list.

This post has been edited by Sergej: 3rd January 2020, 01:45 PM

+Quote this post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 28th April 2024, 11:06 AM