BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Stream ratio to change from 100:1 to 150:1, From the start of 2017.
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Steve201
post 31st December 2016, 06:06 PM
Post #81
Shakin Stevens
Group icon
User: 5,138

QUOTE(Graham A @ Dec 30 2016, 06:35 PM) *
I agree totally with you. But at the moment Spotify the biggest streaming service at the moment pays next to nothing to the artists. One artist had millions of streams, but the money they got from Spotify wouldn't even pay for a year's subscription to the site!

At the moment the only ones making money are Bieber and Drake. My argument is that it will have to stop sooner or later. I predict sooner.

Yeh I Definately agree with those points.

That's another thing Spotify is so global so it's difficult to promo home grown artists and charts basically are the same throughout the world, which is a bad thing.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 31st December 2016, 06:24 PM
Post #82
BuzzJack Legend
Group icon
User: 3,155

QUOTE(Jonjo @ Dec 31 2016, 07:58 AM) *
but if it's track say, 4 on a promoted Spotify playlist and people are just listening to that playlist in the shower or something (can't skip the track/forget to skip the track due to doing something else for example) then that's basically a stream for that song, which will count towards the official chart.

It's why I make my own playlist and use that instead, but the average Joe member of the public won't be bothered to make a playlist and will just use the one Spotify promote.

Agree with this - There are songs I have HATED this year but have been played because they were in playlists etc., and I didn't skip them.

Also the multiple sales I have added for songs that I do like - many songs Iv purchased and then hammered on streaming sites for weeks.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post 1st January 2017, 07:05 AM
Post #83
Paul Hyett
Group icon
User: 364

QUOTE(Jonjo @ Dec 31 2016, 07:58 AM) *
but if it's track say, 4 on a promoted Spotify playlist and people are just listening to that playlist in the shower or something (can't skip the track/forget to skip the track due to doing something else for example) then that's basically a stream for that song, which will count towards the official chart.

It's why I make my own playlist and use that instead, but the average Joe member of the public won't be bothered to make a playlist and will just use the one Spotify promote.

Or, like me, they won't use playlists at all, just listen to individual songs they want to hear.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 1st January 2017, 09:32 AM
Post #84
BuzzJack Legend
Group icon
User: 17,376

evidence suggests (and people I know who use spotify confirm, anecdotedly) that people dont by and large choose to playlist individual tracks and add new songs themselves, they let Spotify do it for them in the background while they do other stuff, even if they HATE a track, it just rolls on till the next inoffensive one crops up.

All Spotify and co playlist data should be excluded. If people cant be bothered to choose their own playlist tracks then it's not an accurate chart, it's a radio station playlist....

+Quote this post
Col1967
post 1st January 2017, 09:47 AM
Post #85
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Group icon
User: 12,308

QUOTE(popchartfreak @ Jan 1 2017, 09:32 AM) *
evidence suggests (and people I know who use spotify confirm, anecdotedly) that people dont by and large choose to playlist individual tracks and add new songs themselves, they let Spotify do it for them in the background while they do other stuff, even if they HATE a track, it just rolls on till the next inoffensive one crops up.

All Spotify and co playlist data should be excluded. If people cant be bothered to choose their own playlist tracks then it's not an accurate chart, it's a radio station playlist....

You have hit the nail on the head there. Allowing Spotify playlists to be counted towards the chart is analogous to admitting a radio airplay element. Yes, we choose the radio stations we listen to based upon in general what they play but nobody is ever going to like every track they hear. Much like airplay the playlists are based upon what somebody thinks is popular, rather than what might actually be popular. Not a good idea to include this in the chart, the whole point of which is to measure popularity!

This post has been edited by Col1967: 1st January 2017, 09:53 AM

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post 1st January 2017, 10:13 AM
Post #86
Paul Hyett
Group icon
User: 364

QUOTE(popchartfreak @ Jan 1 2017, 09:32 AM) *

I second that (well third it really, as Col has already commented on it too). tongue.gif

+Quote this post
danG
post 1st January 2017, 10:26 AM
Post #87
🔥🚀🔥
Group icon
User: 11,746

there's no way to distinguish what gets played off a Spotify curated playlist and what gets played off a user generated playlist though, so it all must count.

+Quote this post
AcerBen
post 1st January 2017, 11:16 AM
Post #88
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group icon
User: 3,429

QUOTE(Danuary @ Jan 1 2017, 10:26 AM) *
there's no way to distinguish what gets played off a Spotify curated playlist and what gets played off a user generated playlist though, so it all must count.

I bet there is

+Quote this post
Col1967
post 2nd January 2017, 09:08 AM
Post #89
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Group icon
User: 12,308

QUOTE(AcerBen @ Jan 1 2017, 11:16 AM) *
I bet there is

Or if there isn't it could be pretty easily done.
This is essentially introducing an airplay factor by the back door.

+Quote this post
post 2nd January 2017, 11:02 AM
Post #90
BuzzJack Legend
Group icon
User: 19,931

Yeah it's become very clear that people generally just listen to what's on what ever is advertised on the front of Spotify rather than picking songs to listen to themselves, that's really been a big reason behind the death of the chart.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 2nd January 2017, 11:08 AM
Post #91
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Group icon
User: 7,561

IT's almost as if radio airplay, promotion and label investment have (largely) been dictating the hits for the past two decades! tongue.gif

+Quote this post
post 2nd January 2017, 05:28 PM
Post #92
BuzzJack Legend
Group icon
User: 19,931

It's still very different to actively buying something specific as it is just to leave a playlist running. And the difference shows in how the chart has changed and the difference between the sales and streaming chart.

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post 2nd January 2017, 07:36 PM
Post #93
BuzzJack Legend
Group icon
User: 10,275

150:1 is not enough to make a difference at the top the chart.... and we all know songs like Can't Stop the Feeling hover around top 40 on both sales and streaming for years so not much change there either

It does affect a bit the first week positions in the middle of the chart but that's it

This post has been edited by SKOB: 2nd January 2017, 08:06 PM

+Quote this post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 05:46 PM