BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> 
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Joseph's Hit 200 | All-Time, the american boy's hips don't stop movin' to something new
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
JosephBoone
post May 6 2019, 04:41 PM
Post #1
you never forget your first time...
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 13,530

It's been a while since I did a countdown of my all-time favourite songs, so I thought it was time to revisit it! I've narrowed it down to 200 songs that define my life, whether it be for the memories attached, an emotional connection, or just simply adoring a brilliant pop song.

However, I'm doing it slightly differently this time. I've actually not put the list into a specific order. In fact, I'm counting down 200 songs in an order decided by random.org. Listing these songs in order is pretty difficult as it's extremely fluid - deciding on an all-time favourite song is near impossible for me and it changes so much that an ordered list is of very little use. Now, every song will get its own post and its own time to shine. The only say I've had in the list is separating any occasions where an artist had two songs in a row, just for variety.

Now for some information on what's going to appear:

- The most songs by any individual artist is 15.
- The oldest song to appear is from 1994.
- The newest songs to appear are from 2017 - nothing from 2018 has been allowed in due to recency and not knowing just how well they'll stand up!

Otherwise there's as few limits as possible! Would love to hear your thoughts on any of the songs appearing too - plenty of chart hits as well as some lesser known tracks I've enjoyed over the years.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Brightest Blue
post May 6 2019, 04:48 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Banned
Member No.: 23,155

Where’s Ellie

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post May 6 2019, 04:48 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(Cqmerqn @ May 6 2019, 05:48 PM) *
Where’s Ellie

No spoilers please

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post May 6 2019, 05:02 PM
Post #4

Song 1 of 200

JLS featuring Dev
She Makes Me Wanna

1st single from Jukebox
Released: 2011
UK Chart Peak: 1

Kicking off with a UK #1 single, JLS make their first and only appearance in this countdown. She Makes Me Wanna kickstarted their third era Jukebox with a guest appearance from Dev, and they landed their fifth and final UK #1 single. I enjoyed JLS from The X Factor and they released some really excellent tracks - other favourites include Eyes Wide Shut, Beat Again and Do You Feel What I feel - but this particular track is my clear favourite. My best friend was always obsessed with JLS so their music in general brings me back to secondary school, right up to the morning where I had to break the news to her that they'd split up.....!!! My biggest memory of this song is using it to help us in our RE exam at GCSE, adding keywords to the tune of the "oh oh oh oh oh oh" parts laugh.gif I mean, I actually used it in my exam and got an A* so no judgements pls x

+Quote Post
danG
post May 6 2019, 05:03 PM
Post #5
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

Interesting!

I suppose there's no prizes for guessing what the 1994 song is then? kink.gif

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post May 6 2019, 05:09 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(danG @ May 6 2019, 06:03 PM) *
Interesting!

I suppose there's no prizes for guessing what the 1994 song is then? kink.gif

laugh.gif you could say that

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post May 6 2019, 05:16 PM
Post #7

Song 2 of 200

Britney Spears
Everytime

3rd single from In The Zone
Released: 2003 (album) / 2004 (single)

I fell in love with Britney Spears through the music channels when I was younger, my earliest memories being of Toxic's release as well as the regular rotation ...Baby One More Time always got (and still gets). She totally kept my attention with Toxic's follow-up too, even though Everytime is at the complete opposite end of the spectrum. Even at 7 years old, the stripped back balladry of the track took me and made me feel something, though I never understood what. Now I understand the sheer sadness of the track, and its accompanying music video of course. Seeing Britney drowning herself in the bath was a pretty strong image to see as a kid, but it remains one of my all-time favourite music videos, if not my very favourite. If I were to order this list, I would undoubtedly put Everytime near the very top.

+Quote Post
Cody Scobell
post May 6 2019, 05:19 PM
Post #8
Cause if looks could kill, we wouldn’t want to be Dan Humphrey
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

She Makes Me Wanna was... a mess

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post May 6 2019, 05:40 PM
Post #9

Song 3 of 200

S Club 7
S Club Party

2nd single from S Club
Released: 1999
UK Chart Peak: 2

The first appearance of eight from the group that kickstarted my love of pop music now. S Club Party served as the second single from S Club 7, but it could easily be mistaken for their first. S Club Party is an introduction to the group, with each member in the group getting a mention in the second verse ("Tina's doing her dance" etc). The song is a clear example of why S Club 7 were so good at making brilliant pop music - there are hooks throughout, from the chorus to the "ooh ooh, put your hands in the air" post-chorus sections too. You just don't get pop music like this any more, which is a huge shame I think! The video is so much fun too, linking in with their Back to the '50s TV special. I can't tell you how many times I tried jumping up in the air and drawing an "S" like they do in that video :')

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post May 6 2019, 05:48 PM
Post #10

Song 4 of 200

Frankee
F.U.R.B. (F. U. Right Back)

1st single from The Good, The Bad, The Ugly
Released: 2004

No matter how hard my parents tried to get me away from this song back in 2004, they didn't quite manage it :') F.U.R.B. was plastered all over the music channels, thanks to it being an effective part 2 of Eamon's F**k It (I Don't Want You Back), even heavily sampling it. I was never that sold on Eamon's song, but I loved Frankee's from the get-go. The problem was convincing my parents to let me buy the single. Thank goodness they included a clean version (well, mostly), that sold the deal kink.gif Whether Frankee really was Eamon's ex or not, we might never know, but I'll always enjoy this song and the snapshot of 2004 that it provides. I must admit, I still gravitate towards the clean version now, perhaps out of familiarity laugh.gif I ended up finding her album for 20p in CEX years later and gave it a listen (I might have convinced my parents on the single but I was definitely banned from the album kink.gif) - nothing was up to the same standard, unsurprisingly!

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post May 7 2019, 06:21 PM
Post #11

Song 5 of 200

Pixie Lott
Boys and Girls

2nd single from Turn It Up
Released: 2009

Yet another UK #1 now and this time it's the sole appearance from Pixie Lott. Boys and Girls instantly caught my attention without me knowing who it was - I think I first heard it on the radio? I wasn't that bothered with Mama Do at the time (it grew on me once I bought the album) so it was probably for the best that I didn't have that hanging over it. Boys and Girls hit me hard because it has such a big, singalong chorus. It's a perfect pop song with no strings attached. I'd kind of drifted from pop music for a time in 2009-10, so it was a ray of sunshine in music while my attention was mostly focused away from the charts and onto other hobbies (mostly Doctor Who) or non-chart music. I remember buying Pixie's album not long after and thoroughly enjoying that too. As far as "of the moment" pop singers go, Pixie was pretty great and this shining gem stands out for sure.

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post May 7 2019, 06:40 PM
Post #12

Song 6 of 200

Kate Nash
Skeleton Song

Album track from Made of Bricks
Released: 2007
UK Chart Peak: N/A

I find it a little easier to decide on my all-time favourite album - Made of Bricks by Kate Nash is a pretty clear winner. Not only did it define 2007 and bring me so many memories of visiting the Isle of Wight for the first time, but it continued to define so many further moments of my life. Rarely a week went by where I didn't listen to it before Kate's second album finally followed in 2010. Every song on it is pretty good, so it's not a surprise to say that there's some decent representation for its album tracks here. Skeleton Song is the first to pop up, a song about clinging onto something from your childhood. It's a pretty deep song and one I can relate to a lot - the skeleton in the song working as a substitute for my teddy bear. So what if I'm 22 and still love my teddy bear xx The song is brilliant as a whole too, it's very catchy and pretty humorous in parts too, and what a middle 8 where Kate has a nightmare of smashing the skeleton up...!

+Quote Post
Riser
post May 8 2019, 03:29 AM
Post #13
The horrors persist, but so do I
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 19,534

Boys & Girls is an EXTREME BOP *.*

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post May 10 2019, 06:35 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(Riser @ May 8 2019, 04:29 AM) *
Boys & Girls is an EXTREME BOP *.*

Agreed *.*!!

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post May 10 2019, 06:36 PM
Post #15

Song 7 of 200

Christina Aguilera
Beautiful

2nd single from Stripped
Released: 2002

Xtina's only appearance in my rundown comes in the form of Beautiful, a song which lives up to its title. The raw emotion in this track is unparalleled and it stood out to me a lot when I heard it on the radio at the time, even though I had very little understanding of it at age 5...! I've appreciated it more and more as the years have gone on, particularly when I've realised the importance of loving and appreciating yourself. It's a message that I always appreciate, even though the topic is pretty done to death these days. I'm seeing Xtina live later this year and I cannot wait to sing my heart out to this track, because every word is so powerful.

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post May 10 2019, 06:45 PM
Post #16

Song 8 of 200

Ellie Goulding
Guns and Horses

3rd single from Lights
Released: 2010
UK Chart Peak: 26

Cqm is relieved as Ellie shows up for the first and only time! My love for Ellie started on quite a bumpy track. I wasn't that big on Starry Eyed when hearing it on the radio, and everything else passed me by until Your Song, which I totally adored (and it wouldn't be far outside my top 200!). I decided to look up her album on iTunes and listen to some previews, and to my delight, it was reduced - think it may have been £5.99 for the full Bright Lights album and loads of live tracks! Guns and Horses is of course track 1 on the album, and it instantly sold it to me on both preview and full version. I love the sparkling production and how raw Ellie's vocals sound on it, and for the whole original Lights album too. Wish it was a bigger hit - #26 feels way too low!

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post May 11 2019, 03:06 PM
Post #17

Song 9 of 200

Paloma Faith
Only Love Can Hurt Like This

2nd single from A Perfect Contradiction
Released: 2014
UK Chart Peak: 6

2014 is a year I look back on very fondly for music. Pop music seemed to be burning brightly and the bangers really didn't stop. Among the bangers was this beauty from Paloma Faith. While I find A Perfect Contradiction to be her least good album overall, Only Love Can Hurt Like This always stood out due to its sincere emotion and soaring vocals. I never expected it to become Paloma's biggest hit (as a lead artist), but it's richly deserved because it quickly became my personal favourite too. Its production is timeless and Paloma shows off her incredible range. Hearing it live last year on her The Architect Tour was a huge moment not just for me, but for everyone in the crowd.

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post May 11 2019, 08:09 PM
Post #18

Song 10 of 200

Rachel Stevens
Some Girls

3rd single from Funky Dory
Also included on Come & Get It
Released: 2004
UK Chart Peak: 2

You'll be hearing plenty from S Club 7 in this countdown as they kickstarted my love of pop music, but the only one you'll see as a soloist is Rachel Stevens. She appears solo three times, and the first is with Some Girls, the Sport Relief single from 2004. It was another unlucky #2 hit for Rachel in the charts, but it was a big favourite of mine straight away. Produced by Richard X, also behind Freak Like Me by Sugababes, the track has a brilliant, pulsating production and plenty of hooks and excellent melodies throughout. The video brings back so many great memories of being on holiday in 2004 in Cornwall too. Hearing it live at last in 2015 on the S Club reunion tour was a moment like no other heart.gif

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post May 11 2019, 08:42 PM
Post #19

Song 11 of 200

Lily Allen
LDN

2nd single from Alright, Still
Released: 2006
UK Chart Peak: 6

I loved Lily Allen from the get-go. Her brand of quirky, insightful and observant pop music caught my ear mostly for being something slightly different in the pop world, with a style of singing that was a step away from your typical popstars. LDN became the first song of hers I bought on CD though (why I didn't buy Smile is something I don't remember as I know I loved it when it came out!), so I became obsessed quickly. It led me into the album, and my desperate (and successful) attempts to hide the bad language from my parents by not playing it when they were within earshot laugh.gif I laughed at a lot of the lyrics at the time, but it's a brilliant look into what London can be like in reality, despite the exciting and colourful outside view.

+Quote Post
danG
post May 11 2019, 09:38 PM
Post #20
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

what I like so far:
- Everytime (easily her best ballad, the others I've heard aren't that great)
- S Club Party (fun novelty and one of a few songs of theirs I really liked when I was a lot younger)
- F.U.R.B. (I'd put both versions about equal to each other)
- Boys and Girls
- Beautiful
- Only Love Can Hurt Like This
- Some Girls
- LDN (it was years before I realised it meant London oops)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:42 PM