BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Who'll still be relevant in ten years time?, Drake? Adele? Ed? Bieber?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Steve201
post 13th July 2017, 06:56 PM
Post #41
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

QUOTE(Capybréra @ Jul 13 2017, 05:37 AM) *
I think Bieber is going to stick around, bear in mind he has maintained relevance for 8 years already and actually got bigger over that time and made a transition from being a bit of a joke to being a reasonably well respected artist, I'm sure in 2009 it would have sounded farfetched that Bieber's career would be peaking in 2016/17. Drake is pretty much the same. And of course Adele and Ed Sheeran have a pretty good chance of staying relevant in the long term.

Not really if you looked at MJs career around 1979! (By then he had been around for 10 years!)
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 13th July 2017, 07:13 PM
Post #42
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

Of all of Little Mix I would give Jade good odds nowadays. Of the 4 she feels like the one that's come on the most and one that could dip into a few genres.

Having said that I wouldn't give any of them great odds of still doing much of anything in 10 years as soloists as their whole brand is mainly built on appealing to younger people and they've already been in the game 5 years. 15 years into their careers none of Girls Aloud or the Spices were setting the charts alight, and I don't feel LM have even reached their heights yet.

+Quote this post
danG
post 13th July 2017, 07:27 PM
Post #43
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

QUOTE(Rooney @ Jul 13 2017, 07:54 PM) *
He will - just not to the chart heights he is today. Look at Tiesto, I can't remember the last time he had a hit, but he still makes crazy money.
Last year's 'The Right Song' with Oliver Heldens/Natalie La Rose (well, it was only #39 but still a hit) wink.gif

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 13th July 2017, 07:49 PM
Post #44
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988

No one seems to have mentioned Rihanna in this thread in terms of where she will be in 10 years time. I think she has cemented herself as one of the all time greats so will churn out 1 big hit a year for the next few years at least before becoming a heritage act who earns big from touring.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 13th July 2017, 08:25 PM
Post #45
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031

QUOTE(360Jupiter @ Jul 13 2017, 08:13 PM) *
Of all of Little Mix I would give Jade good odds nowadays. Of the 4 she feels like the one that's come on the most and one that could dip into a few genres.

Having said that I wouldn't give any of them great odds of still doing much of anything in 10 years as soloists as their whole brand is mainly built on appealing to younger people and they've already been in the game 5 years. 15 years into their careers none of Girls Aloud or the Spices were setting the charts alight, and I don't feel LM have even reached their heights yet.

As a fan of both Girls Aloud and Little Mix, i would have believed Little Mix are on par with Girls Aloud based on success. It is hard to do a real comparison with how the charts have changed. Little Mix have more platinum selling singles but mainly from the new era of charts. Both debut albums from each i believe don't have a big sales gap. Girls Aloud 2nd album has higher sales than Little Mix's second album but studio albums 3 and 4 would see Little Mix have bigger sales. That said, i cant see Little Mix having a 1 million plus selling Greatest Hits like Girls Aloud achieved.

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post 13th July 2017, 08:46 PM
Post #46
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,031

Few acts manage to survive longer than 3-5 years in the music world these days. Adele and Ed Sheeran are both likely to be the exception to that rule given their massive popularity and appeal.

+Quote this post
ThePensmith
post 13th July 2017, 09:32 PM
Post #47
Group icon
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
User: 13,208

I think Ariana Grande will be doing well still if you want my honest opinion. I think since One Love Manchester she has opened up herself to perhaps a much wider audience than ever before. Under unfortunate circumstances, of course, but she actually has some good songs behind her, and I can see her evolving and becoming even more of a star.

To perhaps put another spin on this topic - who do we think will still be around and still doing well enough with tours and new albums to keep going to a loyal, strong fanbase regardless of if they're still churning out hit singles or not?

I'm gonna throw my hat in the ring here and say Olly Murs will be one such artist. I think it's kinda clear that his days of hitting top 10 or anywhere near that singles wise are behind him (although I would like to be proved wrong) but he still knows how to work his charm, he still consistently gets radio airplay, the albums always do well enough to get #1 and or go platinum. And touring is really one of his strong points so he'll still be entertaining arenas.

I also think that when the dust settles and the hype around the 1D solo releases is less greater than it is now - comparable with say the Spice Girls solo efforts post 2001 - I think Niall Horan is gonna be the one from their number that goes the distance as a solo artist. I say that on the basis of his two excellent singles thus far, true, but the fact I've enjoyed them more than anything 1D did or any of the others have chucked out as solo artists says a lot. He has the most likeable and honest appeal out of all of them for me.

This post has been edited by ThePensmith: 13th July 2017, 09:33 PM

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 13th July 2017, 09:38 PM
Post #48
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

QUOTE(slowdown73 @ Jul 13 2017, 09:46 PM) *
Few acts manage to survive longer than 3-5 years in the music world these days. Adele and Ed Sheeran are both likely to be the exception to that rule given their massive popularity and appeal.

Few 'pop' acts a lot of other acts survive along time!

+Quote this post
Colm
post 13th July 2017, 09:47 PM
Post #49
Group icon
Yes, it's me.
User: 9,885

QUOTE(360Jupiter @ Jul 13 2017, 03:09 PM) *
By 1) being very rich and having the money to keep playing in the big rings and 2) continuing to chase current trends. Coldplay started out as an alternative band but have swung right into pop rock. Back in the 2000s you couldn'tve imagined them collaborating with Beyonce, Rihanna, or a dance duo like the Chainsmokers. Their next release will feature Big Sean on one track, talk about a style change.

Maroon 5 would be a band contemporary to them that have also kept in the spotlight by chasing current 'in' sounds.

Also in the pop game any band with a charismatic lead singer that keeps their looks as they get older and continues to dress in style will have a longer shelf life.

Thanks.

I think. biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post 13th July 2017, 09:57 PM
Post #50
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,031

QUOTE(sammy01 @ Jul 13 2017, 08:49 PM) *
No one seems to have mentioned Rihanna in this thread in terms of where she will be in 10 years time. I think she has cemented herself as one of the all time greats so will churn out 1 big hit a year for the next few years at least before becoming a heritage act who earns big from touring.

I think Rihanna is now in decline. Her last album hasn't done that well in comparison to her others and she certainly isn't scoring as many hits as she used to.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 13th July 2017, 10:20 PM
Post #51
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

She's currently in the top 10 though and normally has 2/3 top 10 hits a year still!

What about Robbie Williams?

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 13th July 2017, 10:57 PM
Post #52
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988

QUOTE(slowdown73 @ Jul 13 2017, 10:57 PM) *
I think Rihanna is now in decline. Her last album hasn't done that well in comparison to her others and she certainly isn't scoring as many hits as she used to.

The Anti release was a mess and she gave away 1.4m copies through Samsung, so it is difficult to look too far into that. She did score 3 million 'selling' songs from that 'era' though and is probably going to have another one with wild thoughts.

It will be interesting to see if she actually cares more about the next album release. She seems to be distancing herself from Tidal which is wise as she is easily the biggest female streaming artist so handcuffing herself with Tidal was a huge mistake.

I certainly give her more of a shot than just about any other female artist right now to stay relevant and keep the hits coming, as streaming seems to lend itself to more male artists and urban music and she sits well with that.

+Quote this post
André
post 14th July 2017, 05:59 AM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 8,915

QUOTE(BillyH @ Jul 12 2017, 08:01 PM) *
* Leona Lewis (no)
* Mika (hell no)
* A reformed Take That (still touring to huge crowds with a recent top 20 single)
* Mark Ronson ('Uptown Funk' probably ended up making him a millionaire for life)

Regarding those: Mika is not relevant in the UK in the slightest but he has done much better than Leona since he is still a big act in a few major markets (France, Italy). Take That are now basically a touring act. Obviously still earning a lot but a HUGE drop from their 2007-2011 peak. Amy Winehouse made Mark Ronson a millionaire for life tbh (and he is from a millionaire family either way) but yea, "Uptown Funk" is unbeatable.

Regarding the original question: Ed Sheeran won't have huge hits but will still be relevant and doing big tours. Adele probably won't have huge songs either because let's be real, she basically releases the same song over and over and 10 years is enough for that to get stale but she has broke every single record/prediction so who knows... although she'll also still be a big act regardless of how big her songs are. I have no clue about Sheeran or Drake to be honest.

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 14th July 2017, 06:43 AM
Post #54
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

So to piggyback off this a bit, let's go for halfway between, 2012. How do we see the biggest acts from that year doing by 2022, another 5 years from now, which might be easier to estimate than trying to predict 10 years into the future off the bat.

Big acts from 2012 include Coldplay (Paradise)
David Guetta and Sia (Titanium)
Gotye and Kimbra
Carly Rae Jepsen (who I'm sure nobody expected 5 years on to be a critical darling with a cult following)
Fun. and Janelle Monae (who's still probably thrilled she managed to land feature credit on that song)
Little Mix (Wings)
Labrinth and Emeli Sande (Beneath Your Beautiful)
James Arthur (Impossible)
Jessie J (Domino)
Flo Rida (Whistle, Good Feeling and Wild Ones)
and plenty more https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_in_British_music_charts

+Quote this post
Dexton
post 14th July 2017, 06:49 AM
Post #55
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045

I can see David Guetta still being around but I can't see him ever getting another #1. Same goes for Calvin Harris really.

Coldplay will probably go on a bit of a hiatus now that the their new EP is released, the songs on it kind of encompass everything that they are are serves as a bit of a goodbye collection for the fans. They'll always sell out concerts though and will go down in history, even if their chart presence isn't felt much in the next 5-10 years

This post has been edited by Dexton: 14th July 2017, 06:54 AM

+Quote this post
tommie
post 14th July 2017, 06:51 AM
Post #56
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073

Going by how long girl groups usually last, I don't think Little Mix will be around in even five years time. Not that I'm advocating them splitting up, but it seems highly unlikely.

David Guetta could, in theory, just reinvent his sound and get whoever is hot on his tracks in five years time.

Jessie J is obviously done. She's been in decline since her first album and that she's going to get big again at 30+ seems unlikely.

+Quote this post
danG
post 14th July 2017, 06:54 AM
Post #57
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

Well the chart relevance of Labrinth and Flo Rida seems to be almost non existent now. The last few Flo Rida singles have really struggled and Labrinth hasn't done anything for years besides his feature on Noah Cyrus' single which didn't do much. Both won't be at all relevant in five years time.

Gotye and fun. were over ages ago.

Coldplay will probably continue to be relevant until the end of time.

Can't see James Arthur still here in 5 years, 'Say You Won't Let Go' was a massive fluke.

Little Mix will have probably split by 2020 with one of them getting a few solo hits.

Jessie J will probably desperately try to resurrect her career shortly but she'll never get near to her peak again.

David Guetta is already struggling and desperate for hits, he'll probably continue to have hits every so often as long as popular artists will want to work with him though.

+Quote this post
Dexton
post 14th July 2017, 06:57 AM
Post #58
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045

Does anyone think that The Black Eyed Peas (or at the very least will.i.am) will still be relevant in a few years time? Would you even call them relevant now?

This post has been edited by Dexton: 14th July 2017, 06:57 AM

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 14th July 2017, 08:22 AM
Post #59
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587

Aren't you forgetting someone... tongue.gif

PSY's Korean single Gangnam Style was 2012's Spanish single Despacito, which leads me to another question;

What non-English language will we see at #1 in 2022 or even 2027?

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 14th July 2017, 08:45 AM
Post #60
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

Didn't fun split up?
Not sure what happened to Gotye
Is he working on the follow up to STIUTK?

+Quote this post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 03:23 AM