BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Big Little Lies, HBO / Starts February
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
J❄️hq
post Jan 25 2017, 03:29 PM
Post #1
my anxiety attacks
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 8,674

Reese Witherspoon, Nicole Kidman, Shailene Woodley, Laura Dern, Adam Scott, Alexander Skarsgård, Zoë Kravitz - what a fab cast! And directed by Jean-Marc Vallée ("Dallas Buyers Club", "Wild")

Seven episode miniseries starting on HBO on February 19th, based on a novel from 2014. Will definitely be giving this a shot with all those names involved.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PaulM1983
post Mar 15 2017, 06:35 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Group: Members
Member No.: 6,471
   No Gallery Pics

I'm 4 episodes in and this is incredible. The best roles many of this amazing cast have played in a very long time.

Reese, Nicole and Laura are the standouts and Alexander is incredibly frightening. The child actors are absolutely superb too. The whole thing's really amazing.

+Quote Post
post Mar 16 2017, 06:18 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 19,931

This is indeed incredible. I can't wait for the next one.

+Quote Post
Mart!n
post Mar 16 2017, 07:17 PM
Post #4
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
Member No.: 2

The first episode really didn't do anything for me, but I'm going to stick with it for the time been, from what I gather by the opening episode, someone gets clogged off, hence the police involvement.

+Quote Post
Jαsє
post Mar 16 2017, 10:49 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 14,043
   No Gallery Pics

It's SO good wub.gif I read the book a couple of years back so unfortunately I know everything which is coming sad.gif

This post has been edited by jase.: Mar 16 2017, 10:50 PM

+Quote Post
post Mar 23 2017, 03:57 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(jase. @ Mar 16 2017, 10:49 PM) *
It's SO good wub.gif I read the book a couple of years back so unfortunately I know everything which is coming sad.gif

Trying so hard not to look it up. It feels like there's a lot to tie up in the last 2 episodes. Who the rapist is, who dies, who kills them, who's biting Laura Dern's daughter, and then the whole investigation segment.

I feel like the show wants you to think it's all Skarsgaurd who's the killer but that's too obvious? I think it might be Reese's?

+Quote Post
kye
post Mar 24 2017, 02:01 AM
Post #7
• aesthetic party •
Member No.: 2,169

I read the book too so I know what's coming but I'm loving seeing it come to life onscreen. Reese just gives me life, I'm in awe.

I think it will be the last episode that we find out the answer to the majority of your questions Joe, that's if they follow the routing of the books (which they have thus far).

Knowing who dies and who kills them, I kinda thought they would have padded out Bonnie a little more just to make her more relevant to the story for the viewer.

+Quote Post
Jαsє
post Mar 25 2017, 01:09 AM
Post #8
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

This is the closest thing we've ever got to Desperate Housewives. It's such a shame that it's not going to be continuing sad.gif

+Quote Post
PaulM1983
post Mar 25 2017, 02:54 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(jase. @ Mar 25 2017, 01:09 AM) *
This is the closest thing we've ever got to Desperate Housewives. It's such a shame that it's not going to be continuing sad.gif

No, no. That was Devious Maids. It was essentially the same show.

+Quote Post
kye
post Mar 25 2017, 03:10 PM
Post #10
• aesthetic party •

I agree, Devious Maids was definitely more Desperate Housewives than this. I can't really see the comparison to this?
There's nothing soapy about it. Desperate Housewives was outrageously camp and soapy.

+Quote Post
PaulM1983
post Mar 25 2017, 03:39 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

Yeah I don't think they're similar either, in look or tone. There is humour in this, but it's not because funny stuff happens, it's the delivery of the lines. But there's a really serious undertone to this. Alexander makes me feel alarmingly uncomfortable when he's on screen. Actually proper on edge and worried for Nicole. He plays it so well, it's frightening.

+Quote Post
Jαsє
post Mar 25 2017, 08:59 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

We must have been watching totally different shows - Devious Maids was outrageously camp and soapy, DH really wasn't laugh.gif They were only similar because of the female leads and similar castings.

Like BLL, DH was often amusing but at the same time it often dealt with some pretty harrowing issues unsure.gif

This post has been edited by jase.: Mar 25 2017, 09:00 PM

+Quote Post
J❄️hq
post Mar 25 2017, 09:47 PM
Post #13
my anxiety attacks
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 8,674

Don't Corrie and Eastenders deal with harrowing issues at times? Desperate Housewives was as camp as they come where American TV is concerned.

I need to catch up on this, only seen the first episode but I read a MAJOR spoiler about the end on another site, posted by some inconsiderate ass who didn't think.

+Quote Post
Jαsє
post Mar 25 2017, 09:59 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Sorry but we're absolutely going to have to agree to disagree when it comes to DH being "camp" laugh.gif It had its moments but in general? Absolutely not.

+Quote Post
Regina
post Mar 25 2017, 10:17 PM
Post #15
Raining Shitter
Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,572

How can anyone not think DH was camp? laugh.gif use your eyes. Even the darker stuff was done in such a waythat it was OTT and campy.

Anyway, this looks pretty decent. It always amazes me that Nicole can still give such emotional performances even though she's literally a human waxwork now.

+Quote Post
Jαsє
post Mar 25 2017, 11:04 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Brb, re-using my eyes. Lynette's cancer was very OTT. Gabby coping with the grief of her dead baby was side-splittingly campy. Bree struggling with her sons sexuality had me rolling on the floor laughing!!!

+Quote Post
kye
post Mar 26 2017, 12:23 AM
Post #17
• aesthetic party •

It's the over-expressiveness, the melodrama, it's the situations, it's the soundtrack.. even the creator calls it camp. The actors know it's camp! It has its moments of depth and heart but it's a soap opera at the end of the day.

The only thing that Big Little Lies has in common with Desperate Housewives is that it is a predominately female-led cast.

I have such a hard time coming to terms with the fact that we only have 2 episodes left sad.gif

+Quote Post
PaulM1983
post Mar 26 2017, 12:37 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

Yeah DH did deal with some serious issues, but honestly it's one of the campest, most over the top shows I've ever seen, and Devious Maids was basically the same show with different characters.

Tonally it couldn't be any further away from Big Little Lies, which is at times very sinister and dark.

+Quote Post
post Mar 27 2017, 12:41 PM
Post #19
BuzzJack Legend

Sorry Jase - No disrespect, but even though Desperate Housewives dealt with some very serious issues but it was very camp, melodramatic, tacky and often satirical. But it knew it was, and that was part of its charm. It doesn't mean you can't still find emotion in the sadder moments, because it did have some powerhouse performances.

I do see the comparisons to Desperate Housewives simply from its "rich(mostly) women involved in gossip and scandal" themes, but it's as if someone put that show in an HBO lamination and gave it a lot more gloss and grit. It's a lot darker and has a totally different pace.

Who's getting Emmy Nominations for this? I'm thinking...Nicole, Reese and Laura will get nominations and Shailene might miss out.

+Quote Post
PaulM1983
post Mar 27 2017, 06:53 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

I think you're probably right but I'm actually really impressed with Shailene in this. I've never rated her but she's good. Very natural and the scenes with her son are really great.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:50 PM