BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
23 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 17 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> John's Top 947 (!!!), chart points 1968 to 2023
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Popchartfreak
post Mar 23 2019, 07:17 PM
Post #281
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
QUOTE(dandy* @ Mar 22 2019, 06:31 PM) *
That REM track is great, it's definitely one of their best so nice to see it appear in here smile.gif

Glad you like it dandy* I wasnt sure anyone else would agree so cheer.gif smile.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Mar 23 2019, 07:23 PM
Post #282
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(King Rollo @ Mar 23 2019, 12:02 AM) *
I remember The Crunch was in the chart around the same time as Oxygene by Jean Michel Jarre and Magic Fly by Space. All of them were synth based instrumentals which were a big contrast to the ballads,disco and pop songs that I was used to seeing performed on Top Of The Pops.

I remember that Footsee song as well,great choice.

Yes indeed, and I went HUGE on Donna Summer I Feel Love, The Crunch, Magic Fly and Oxygene (the whole album) in the space of 3 or 4 months. Sadly Oxygene Pt 4 only peaked at 2 in my chart and missed out on the rundown but Jean-Michel Jarre has another on the list, happily. It sounded like the sound of the future to me, all the synths, whereas punk sounded like the past, albeit a DIY anyone-can-have-a-go past with attitude. There are no punk tracks on my list, though New Wave is represented muchly as it got a bit more sophisticated in sound.

Cheers Rollo, glad you liked Footsee, a bit of fun laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Mar 23 2019, 07:30 PM
Post #283
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
SO, TA DAH! THE TOP 600. GOT HERE AT LAST!

600. NEW YORK - Paloma Faith (2009) 1,097,150

It's hard to believe this is a decade old, I still think of it as recent, but there you go the wondrous Paloma has been having hits for 10 years. I loved her brand of quirky passionate soul right from the get-go, she's engaging, unique and great in concert, her stage sets as arty as her dress style. New York is the 2nd of 4 on the list for her, and got overshadowed in the collective memory by another New York track at the time (also on the list for Alicia Keys & Jay-Z, Empire State Of Mind). Paloma currently holds my chart-topper as I write, so a bit of a career stayer for me!

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Mar 23 2019, 07:51 PM
Post #284
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
599. CIRCLE IN THE SAND - Belinda Carlisle (1988) 1,097,300

Belinda first charted with The Gogos, We Got The Beat, Our Lips Are Sealed and others, before striking out on a solo career that had a fab run of good pop singles well into the 90's, starting with the massive Heaven Is A Place On Earth, and including the terrific Leave A Light On and We want The Same Thing, among many. This was her only chart-topper for me, though, it's just a great song, nice melody, from her regular hitmakers Rick Nowels & Ellen Shipley. Rick will be back another 8 times with some of his other big songs for or with other acts (Dido, Lana Del Ray, Melanie C, Santana, Ronan Keating, Sonique, New Radicals, Texas) but here's a list of some acts for which he's written some of their best material that didn't make the list: Stevie Nicks, Celine Dion, Madonna, Robert Miles, Geri Halliwell, Craig David. While more recently: Sia, Keith Urban, Chase & Status, Lykke Li, Marina & The Diamonds, Nelly Furtado, loads more Lana Del Ray, Foxes, FKA Twigs, Tom Odell, Dua Lipa, Kesha, Alessia Cara...

Go on, admit you never knew who he was and that he was still relevant... laugh.gif Songwriters write the hits that you love...

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Mar 23 2019, 08:04 PM
Post #285
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
598. TWO FUX - Adam Lambert (2017) 1,098,300

The Freddie Mercury substitute-vocalist of choice for Queen, a USA singing competition winner, and a great act generally making interesting stuff, this topped my chart 2 years ago, quite deservedly. I generally get annoyed with gratuitous use of swear-words in pop music, acts choosing to swear then artistically compromising themselves immediately with bleeps to make sure they get the sales. If you don't need the swearword leave it out (half the current charts are guilty of this habit as invariably the word is irrelevant or just highlighting how they haven't really got anything remotely of interest to say). In this case it's in the title, it's the hook, and it's the whole point of the playful, melodic, clever autobiographical song. He doesn't give Two Fux, as he says it's his "mission statement" and that includes making a video, or getting it bleeped to get radio play. Power to you Adam. Fab.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jun 15 2019, 06:27 PM
Post #286
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
597. I WANT TO KNOW WHAT LOVE IS - Foreigner (1984) 1,099,050

Far and away the best thing Foreigner ever did, the UK/US rock band had a good run of 70's rock tracks like Feels Like The First Time and Cold As Ice, before turning towards MOR ballads like Waiting For A Girl Like You, but hit the jackpot with this gospel-flavoured passionate gem. The Lou Gram vocal is good, the rousing gospel choir finale is fabulous, and the fade-out Patti Labelle solo is just spine-tingling, boosting her profile a decade after Lady Marmalade. Topping the UK and US charts both, deservedly.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jun 15 2019, 06:36 PM
Post #287
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
596. BRASS IN POCKET - The Pretenders (1979) 1,099,250

As the 70's drew to a close in my final year at Uni, and at home for Xmas and New Year, this fab track was on the "up" and was the first new chart-topper of the 80's for both me and the UK charts. Jangly New Wave was rarely done better than the Sandie-Shaw vocal stylings of former-US-Music Journalist Chrissie Hynde and her kicking band. I saw them in concert the following year when they were hot and hungry - and then tragically 2 of the band were dead within months. Chrissie has effectively been the band since then, total legend, a UK-based icon of the period. They had further great singles like Don't Get Me Wrong through the 80's, and plenty of guest vocal spots for Chrissie (including 2 more UK chart-toppers with UB40 and Cher & co), but this is the only one on the run-down. Pity!

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jun 15 2019, 06:46 PM
Post #288
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
595. JOHN I'M ONLY DANCING - David Bowie (1972) 1,099, 650

David Bowie. I'd missed Space Oddity entirely, it never turned up on Singapore radio, so by the time I was back in the UK in 1972 I had no inkling who he was - the first time I saw him was Kiddie TV show Lift Off With Ayshea, a pop music show on ITV which had current and forthcoming pop music stars: and on marched David Bowie doing his trial run for spangly spandex alien-looking gender-bending classic Top Of The Pops' performance of Starman, the record that gave us Ziggy Stardust and a superstar artist. I loved it. I loved this follow-up non-album track even more, SO exciting with it's riffs, rocking out, and the video here was actually shown on TOTP to make it even more exciting, as a nation of boys started to get the Bowie haircut (or Rod Stewart feathered haircut was the other biggie) school-rules permitting. Still love this one, but it didn't top my charts in '72, nor in '79 when it was a double A-side of alternate versions, one a rubbish discofunk experiment, the version that got no radio airplay was pretty much like the '72 version, the original single version that topped my chart in the Bowie chart invasion following his unexpected death in 2016.

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post Jun 15 2019, 11:03 PM
Post #289
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,961
I Want To Know What Love Is still sounds great. I love the use of the gospel choir long before it became common in pop or rock songs. Waiting For A Girl Like You is a good song as well (the then unknown Thomas Dolby played synths on that one). Brass In Pocket is a good one,my favourite Pretenders single is I Go To Sleep from 1981.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jun 23 2019, 06:01 PM
Post #290
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(King Rollo @ Jun 16 2019, 12:03 AM) *
I Want To Know What Love Is still sounds great. I love the use of the gospel choir long before it became common in pop or rock songs. Waiting For A Girl Like You is a good song as well (the then unknown Thomas Dolby played synths on that one). Brass In Pocket is a good one,my favourite Pretenders single is I Go To Sleep from 1981.

Thanks Rollo, yes still sounds good that Foreigner track. I didnt know Thomas Dolby was on Waiting For A Girl! I love I Go To Sleep, seems to get forgotten that one, another Ray Davies track (along with Stop Your Sobbing) and her partner for a while ol' Ray.. ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jun 23 2019, 06:23 PM
Post #291
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
594. SAVE ME - Clodagh Rodgers (1976) 1,100,600

Hands up who expected this one? Thought not. Hands up who's heard this one? Thought not. Clodagh is a Northern Irish lass who had a string UK pop hit singles from 1969 through to Jack In The Box, the UK song for Eurovision in 1971 which all but killed her singles career off, bar one more minor hit, thanks to Engelbert nicking her other Eurovision song before she could release it as a follow-up hit (he hit 13)...and that was it for Clodagh in the charts, though she carried on doing variety shows on TV until 1976, when she released Save Me to radio airplay success, not once but twice, after it failed to chart in '76, as a remix in '77, and then again as an oldie a year later. That's why it appears in the list, 3 chart runs without actually troubling my top 3. A bit more sultry and slower than hits of yore, and a song that was a hit in several other countries when it got covered by other acts such as Clout and Merrilee Rush. Robbed! Probably her best record, and I had nostalgic affection for childhood fave Clodagh that made me a fan of this song at the time. It's still pleasant.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jun 23 2019, 06:39 PM
Post #292
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
593. 10538 OVERTURE - The Electric Light Orchestra (1972) 1,101,200

This was one of those "wow" moments when I heard this. I'd already been a fan of The Move for 5 years or so, especially Blackberry Way, and California Man had just rocked itself into the charts for Roy Wood, Jeff Lynne & Bev Bevan, when lo and behold they morphed into this experimental orchestral-based rock act always owing a nod of the head to The Beatles. 10538 Overture was on Top Of The Pops and it sounded other-worldly, what with all the cellos and the dark lyrics, a haunting guitar riff (nicked by Paul Weller in the 90's to much lesser effect), and those catchy ah-ah ah-ah ahh's. So much going on and a fab toon to boot, along with Jeff's great vocal, and me lovin' the mysterious number as the title. It topped my chart, and was the launching pad to fave teen act of 73/74 after Roy Wood fell out with Jeff Lynne and opted to create Wizzard and do solo albums, while Jeff took ELO to massive fabulous 70's success and beyond. I loved them both, so the fall-out worked out fine for me. Yay! The third of 9 ELO tracks of the list, and the first of 5 Roy Wood-related tracks. Just brilliant.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jun 23 2019, 06:46 PM
Post #293
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
592. MOULDY OLD DOUGH - Lieutenant Pigeon (1972) 1,101,500

The title says it all for this UK chart-topper, also in 1972 when it peaked at 2 in my charts, with a re-issue pushing it into the listing - sadly! Definitely doesn't deserve it, I mean it was a bit of ragtime fun for the guys of Stavely Makepeace and their piano-tinkling mum having a surprise novelty monster hit. Oddly, the follow-up Desperate Dan (pretty much the same song) DID top my chart when my actual fave kept dropping out the chart (which meant out of my chart too) - I'm On My Way To A Better Place by Chairmen Of The Board was a soul goodie better than either fluffy bits of fun. Ah well, at least Dan's not on the list.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jun 24 2019, 03:37 PM
Post #294
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
591. AIN'T NO SUNSHINE - Bill Withers (1971) 1,101,500

First of two on the rundown - two for Bill Withers, and two versions of Ain't No Sunshine. This '71 US biggie flopped in the UK, where we had to wait another year for the soul coolness of Bill Withers to hit, and Bill had to wait for late 80's remixes and subsequent entries of the original version to make my charts - so this is entirely based on "after the event" "sales". Such a great song, a great version, and still not the best version. It's that good. There is a live version stripped-back in the studio which is nearly as good, Bill was just fab, I wish he would do some new stuff. Included that performance to catch him at his mature best in real life settings.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jun 24 2019, 03:48 PM
Post #295
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
590. BORN TO RUN - Bruce Springsteen (1975) 1,103,650

Bruce had a slow build to a career, and then "overnight" was heralded as "the future of rock'n'roll" when this track came out as the lead track off his album, hitting in the States, and getting airplay on radio in the UK - and not a hit! Yes, this major landmark classic was a flop, and is yet to chart in the brilliant Phil-Spector Wall-of-sound epic original anthem version. It's hard to believe, I know, I bought it, and charted it, it was obvious it was fab, but the UK is always anti-hype even when it's true-hype. What was selling in bucketloads of drivel back then? D.I.V.O.R.C.E by Billy Connolly, Trail Of The Lonesome Pine by Laurel & Hardy (not drivel, just whimsical). OK, not fair, there was also Bo Rap, Space Oddity, You Sexy Thing, Mamma Mia and assorted classics too, but there was space for Brooooce too! Ah well, he has the last laugh, still releasing chart-topping albums and still making great albums, with a whole consistent body of work throughout - none of which appear in my rundown apart from this one.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jun 24 2019, 04:00 PM
Post #296
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
589. ENJOY THE SILENCE - Depeche Mode (1990) 1,104,350

I saw the lads in Sheffield in 1981 when Vince hadn't buggered off to Erasure and Yazoo, and who would have thought that the teeny synth band would morph into an influential industrial synth band, firstly via pop chart success, and then worldwide album success and touring, predominantly? Not me! By the time this came out they'd just delivered their best track to date with Personal Jesus (on the rundown, and lower), and then went and bettered it with Enjoy The Silence topping my chart in 1990 while I was on my first-ever Florida holiday. It was in a record store off Orange-Blossom Trail in Orlando called Peaches that I got all sweaty and excited about the stuff I had available to buy - like maxi-CD-singles of both of these, with lots of remixes and bonus tracks. I even bought two copies so I could sell at profit in the UK, still wrapped and mint, sometime down the line. Never did though! This thing called the internet came along and ruined my plans, as scarce stuff stopped being scarce. Outrageous!

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post Jun 24 2019, 08:51 PM
Post #297
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,961
Great to see 10538 Overture here. It was number 644 on my countdown. I was seven when it came out so I only became aware of it when I started buying ELO's early albums around 1982.

Enjoy The Silence I have at number 179. One of their best songs certainly.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jun 26 2019, 11:32 AM
Post #298
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(King Rollo @ Jun 24 2019, 09:51 PM) *
Great to see 10538 Overture here. It was number 644 on my countdown. I was seven when it came out so I only became aware of it when I started buying ELO's early albums around 1982.

Enjoy The Silence I have at number 179. One of their best songs certainly.

Thanks Rollo, yes we nearly had the same position for ELO laugh.gif Enjoy Th Silence could do with a good film slot to give it a boost in my charts, it prob should be 100 or 200 places higher, at least. smile.gif

+Quote this post
dandy*
post Jun 26 2019, 01:07 PM
Post #299
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54
I am enjoying many of your inclusions however am increasingly nervous and concerned that we may be counting down to Human cry.gif

+Quote this post
dandy*
post Jun 26 2019, 01:08 PM
Post #300
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54
Ps Enjoy the Silence is quite possibly my favourite ever single.

+Quote this post

23 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 17 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:40 PM