BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> 
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My Top 100 Eurovision songs (1956-2018), Eurovision crown for my all-time # 1 song
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Last Dreamer
post Aug 29 2018, 10:17 AM
Post #1
With Kristina in heart
Group: Members
Member No.: 28,104
   No Gallery Pics

Eurovision story for me was started in 1997 year, when Russian mass media were hyped with the participation of our legendary singer Alla Pugacheva.

The next signature step is the first place in my personal weekly chart for Jessica Garlick with her amazing "Comeback" in 2002. Unfortunately it was the last successful British entry at Eurovision.

I loved the contest before, but became a hardcore fan only in Internet era, which was started for me in May 2011.

Finally I like to represent the list with my all-time top 100 songs, from the start in 1956 to the current year.

So let the show begins...

This post has been edited by Good Old Days: Feb 12 2019, 12:54 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Last Dreamer
post Aug 29 2018, 10:31 AM
Post #2
With Kristina in heart
   No Gallery Pics

Before the official top 100 let's listen my favourite entry from the last contest. This song was very near with top 100, but didn't reach the final list.

The Humans - Goodbye (Romania - 2018)

Interesting fact : The Humans got only 2nd place in my ranking of Romanian pre-selection - 2018 behind typical Swedish song from Lina "A Love Worth Falling For", which have a good chances for the crown of my Ideal Eurovision 2018.

+Quote Post
Last Dreamer
post Aug 30 2018, 08:11 AM
Post #3
With Kristina in heart
   No Gallery Pics

# 100. Iris - Would You ? (Belgium - 2012)

Interesting fact : The semifinals were introduced in 2004 and became the irresistible barrier for the most my favourites, but only in 2012 all songs from my top 3 didn't qualified into the final show. sad.gif

This post has been edited by Good Old Days: Aug 30 2018, 08:11 AM

+Quote Post
Last Dreamer
post Aug 30 2018, 08:28 AM
Post #4
With Kristina in heart
   No Gallery Pics

# 99. Katrina & The Waves - Love Shine A Light (United Kingdom - 1997)

At # 99 we meet very good and the signature Eurovision winner. Already more than 20 years ago United Kingdom got their 5th and the last win on this moment of time(Who can predict it in 1997 ?) with a big points margin over the second place.

It's the first from many British entries in this countdown and some other tracks can have a good chances, if this ranking will be expanded to 150 positions.

Interesting fact : "Love Shine A Light" was peaked only at # 3 in UK singles chart, it's the lowest peak position from all British winners.

This post has been edited by Good Old Days: Aug 30 2018, 08:31 AM

+Quote Post
Last Dreamer
post Aug 30 2018, 03:07 PM
Post #5
With Kristina in heart
   No Gallery Pics

# 98. Gina G - Ooh Aah... Just A Little Bit (United Kingdom - 1996)

It's rare song from this countdown, which loved by Eurovision fans. In my yearly rankings Gina G brought 10th win for United Kingdom. Some weeks after Gina's flop on the contest Europeans did the opposite choice - the winning song "The Voice" had very poor sales and even didn't reach the top position in Irish chart. "Ooh Aah... Just A Little Bit" became a big hit and was top 10 hit in the most European countries.

Interesting fact : "Ooh Aah... Just a Little Bit" became # 1 in UK only on the 8th week in chart, the day after Gina's performance at Eurovision.

This post has been edited by Beautiful Song: Mar 22 2019, 06:36 AM

+Quote Post
Last Dreamer
post Sep 6 2018, 05:53 AM
Post #6
With Kristina in heart
   No Gallery Pics

# 97. Lys Assia - Giorgio (Switzerland - 1958)

Back to the 50s, in the glory days of traditional pop with Swiss Eurovision legend Lys Assia and her "Giorgio". It was the first song to be performed in more than one language (German and Italian) in the Eurovision Song Contest.

Interesting fact : At the age of 87 (!!!) Lys Assia entered her song "C'etait Ma Vie" written by Ralph Siegel and Jean Paul Cara into the Swiss national selection for the Eurovision Song Contest 2012 in Baku, Azerbaijan. The song, however, only came eighth in a closely fought national selection.

This post has been edited by Good Old Days: Sep 6 2018, 05:55 AM

+Quote Post
Last Dreamer
post Sep 6 2018, 06:16 AM
Post #7
With Kristina in heart
   No Gallery Pics

# 96. Twiins - I Am Still Alive (Slovakia - 2011)

Slovak twin pop duo consisting of sisters Daniela and Veronika Nizlova became the first winners from Eastern Europe in my yearly rankings with charming ballad "I'm Still Alive". After Twiins' success already 5 other countries won for the first time. They were not the first pair of twin sisters on the Eurovision, in 1959 Alice and Ellen Kessler represented West Germany and in 1980 year French twin sisters Sophie and Magaly Gilles, represented Luxembourg with funny entry "Papa Pingouin".

Interesting fact : In 2011 year my favourite song was "In Love For A While" from Switzerland, because Russians got TV translation of Ice Hockey World Championship quarterfinal instead the second Eurovision semifinal.

This post has been edited by Good Old Days: Sep 6 2018, 06:33 AM

+Quote Post
Last Dreamer
post Sep 6 2018, 06:23 AM
Post #8
With Kristina in heart
   No Gallery Pics

# 95. Kasia Mos - Flashlight (Poland - 2017)

Interesting fact : Before the contest Kasia was a huge favourite for my # 1, but finished on the second place behind the most biggest positive surprising performance from the current decade.

+Quote Post
Last Dreamer
post Sep 7 2018, 11:48 AM
Post #9
With Kristina in heart
   No Gallery Pics

# 94. Birthe Wilke and Gustav Winckler - Skibet Skal Sejle I Nat (Denmark - 1957)

This song was a debut entry for Denmark on Eurovision. Only solo singers were the participants of the first Eurovision, so "Skibet Skal Sejle I Nat" ("The Ship Is Leaving Tonight") also was the first song on the contest, performed by love duet, with the singers parting before one of them takes a sea voyage on the ship of the title.

Interesting fact : The song is famous for the kiss the duo exchanged at the end of the performance - the longest stage kiss in Contest history, made so by a stagehand omitting to signal for it to end.

+Quote Post
Last Dreamer
post Sep 7 2018, 11:59 AM
Post #10
With Kristina in heart
   No Gallery Pics

# 93. Malene Mortensen - Tell Me Who You Are (Denmark - 2002)

The second consecutive Danish song in the list. Based on the old Eurovision rules due to the poor placing for Malene Winter Mortensen, Denmark was not invited to participate in the next contest, but was permitted to return in 2004.

Interesting fact : It's the first song in my top 100, which finished on the last place in the final.

+Quote Post
Last Dreamer
post Sep 7 2018, 12:11 PM
Post #11
With Kristina in heart
   No Gallery Pics

# 92. Evdokia Kadi - Femme Fatale (Cyprus - 2008)

As the most my Eurovision favourites from last 15 years Cypriot singer was eliminated in the semi-final and therefore did not make it to the final.

Interesting fact : Belgian singer Betty Owczarek used a pseudonym Femme Fatale in the national Eurovision pre-selection - 2008 with very sexual performance for her song "Decadence".

+Quote Post
Last Dreamer
post Jan 16 2019, 06:43 AM
Post #12
With Kristina in heart
   No Gallery Pics

# 91. Mary Cristy - Toi, La Musique Et Moi (Monaco - 1976)

The first, but not last entry from the best Monegasque decade in Eurovision. "Toi, La Musique Et Moi" (English translation: "You, The Music And Me") was performed by French singer Mary Christy and finished on the third place.

Interesting fact : All 4 Eurovision microstates (Andorra, San Marino, Monaco, Malta) had minimum one top 3 result in my yearly Eurovision rankings.

+Quote Post
Last Dreamer
post Jan 16 2019, 06:44 AM
Post #13
With Kristina in heart
   No Gallery Pics

# 90. Chris Baldo and Sophie Garel - Nous Vivrons D'amour (Luxembourg - 1968)

Very underrated lovely duet song of native Luxembourgish singer Chris Baldo and Sophie Garel, with the pair promising to "live by love" instead of letting the problems of the world get to them. As a result, they sing, they will be "happy until the last day".

Interesting fact : It's very unique song for any my rankings, because almost don't have female vocals, just some lines in chorus. Catch the moment. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Last Dreamer
post Jan 16 2019, 06:56 AM
Post #14
With Kristina in heart
   No Gallery Pics

# 89. Kristina Hautala - Kun Kello Kay (Finland - 1968)

Kristina Hautala became the first act, who finished on the last place in real contest, but became # 1 in my ranking.

Interesting fact : 1968 was the first time that the Eurovision Song Contest was broadcast in colour. The countries that broadcast it in colour were France, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, Sweden and United Kingdom, although in UK it was broadcast as an encore presentation in colour on BBC Two the next day.

+Quote Post
Last Dreamer
post Jan 16 2019, 07:07 AM
Post #15
With Kristina in heart
   No Gallery Pics

# 88. Carita Holmstrom - Keep Me Warm (Finland - 1974)

Back to back in the final list we have two Finnish entries. At this time it's the entry from my favourite Eurovision. The song "Keep Me Warm" is sung from the perspective of a young woman asking a "friend" to stay with her and "keep me warm". She suggests that she can do the same for him, and there is a general implication that she wants there to be a relationship between the two of them.

Interesting fact : "Keep Me Warm" even wasn't in my top 5 of 1974, but in all-time list this song finished higher than some my yearly winners.

+Quote Post
Last Dreamer
post Jan 16 2019, 07:33 AM
Post #16
With Kristina in heart
   No Gallery Pics

# 87. Lys Assia - Das Alte Karussell (Switzerland - 1956)

The previous year was very painful for Eurovision fans. Two legends died, firstly we lost France Gall in January and after it the first winner Lys Assia in March.

R.I.P to both wonderful singers.

Interesting fact : It's the longest song from all top 100. After Italian "5 minites long" song in 1957, the rule governing the length of entries was tightened to require them to be no longer than 3.5 minutes initially and later 3 minutes exactly.

+Quote Post
Last Dreamer
post Jan 19 2019, 07:55 AM
Post #17
With Kristina in heart
   No Gallery Pics

# 86. Jeane Manson - J'ai Deja Vu Ca Dans Tes Yeux (Luxembourg - 1979)

American singer Jeane Manson represented the Grand Duchy with a blues influenced ballad. She describing a series of romantic visions (including one of a family) to her lover before telling him that "I've already seen that in your eyes" - that is to say, she can see their future together.

Interesting fact : She was US Playboy magazine's Playmate of the Month for the August 1974 issue.

+Quote Post
Last Dreamer
post Jan 19 2019, 07:57 AM
Post #18
With Kristina in heart
   No Gallery Pics

# 85. Lena Valaitis - Johnny Blue (Germany - 1981)

Ballad "Johnny Blue" was written and composed by Eurovision legends Ralph Siegel and Bernd Meinunger. In 1982 year their song "Ein bißchen Frieden" (A Little Peace), performed by Nicole won the Contest and became a hit in Europe and last UK # 1 for Eurovision participant. Lena got very deserved the second place, only 4 points behind European hit from Bucks Fizz "Making Your Mind Up".

Interesting fact : Valaitis was born in Memel during World War II, now it's the third largest city in Lithuania Klaipeda.

+Quote Post
Last Dreamer
post Jan 19 2019, 07:58 AM
Post #19
With Kristina in heart
   No Gallery Pics

# 84. Monica Aspelund - Lapponia (Finland - 1977)

More good oldies from my favourite Eurovision decade.

Despite its moderate 10th place result at the Eurovision final, "Lapponia" was given release in twenty European countries and Australia. Aspelund recorded "Lapponia" in six languages : Finnish, her mother tongue Swedish, English, German, French and Dutch. The song became top 5 hit in Finland and Sweden.

Interesting fact : "Lapponia" became the first Finnish entry to be awarded with a maximum 12 points score (given by Ireland). It would remain Finland's sole maximum score until 2006, when hard rock winners Lordi got eight 12 points.

+Quote Post
Last Dreamer
post Jan 19 2019, 08:16 AM
Post #20
With Kristina in heart
   No Gallery Pics

# 83. Jessica Garlick - Come Back (United Kingdom - 2002)

Welsh singer Jessica Garlick was selected as Eurovision participant in yearly British TV show "A Song For Europe" and shared 3rd place in the main contest.

It was the last finish in "medals zone" for United Kindgom, their glory days are over. Also "Come Back" became the first Eurovision number one in my weekly chart.

Interesting fact : Another UK Pop Idol Hayley Evetts tried to be Eurovision participant. She was revealed to be one of the candidates to represent Romania in the Eurovision Song Contest 2016 with "Brand New Day" (my second favourite song from that Euroseason, only behind my favourite song from Eurovision 2016). However she had withdrawn from the selection due to a severe knee injury.

This post has been edited by Beautiful Song: Mar 27 2019, 08:32 AM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:23 PM