BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> 
16 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Joseph's Hit 300 | Year-End 2018 **FULL LIST PG 15**, including Anne-Marie, Why Don't We, Rita Ora and Troye Sivan
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
JosephBoone
post Dec 13 2018, 09:04 PM
Post #41
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530
QUOTE(SantaDalek32 @ Dec 12 2018, 12:23 PM) *
No Shame and Sweetener are great pop albums, and Golden is a pretty good fusion of pop and country.

QUOTE(PeteLeftLeeds @ Dec 12 2018, 04:59 PM) *
Some more albums there I've heard some of, Lily Allen had some nice tracks this year as did Kylie, but her Jack collab was a bit of a damp squib for me.

QUOTE(Calum @ Dec 12 2018, 05:59 PM) *
Golden a lot higher than I thought it'd be in here ohmy.gif *.* On the flip side, there's a few I thought would be higher than they are, i.e. Ariana, LM. laugh.gif

QUOTE(LewisGT @ Dec 12 2018, 10:03 PM) *
Shame to see that LM5 & Sweetener are out already. Both easily two of my favourite albums of the year although admittedly LM5 is a little bit weaker than Glory Days.

QUOTE(dobbo @ Dec 13 2018, 07:08 PM) *
Sigala & Jonas Blue's albums were quite disappointing aside from the singles but I'm glad we got them at all!

Thank you all!!! wub.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Dec 13 2018, 09:25 PM
Post #42
Group icon
Albums

15 Tom Odell - Jubilee Road | 2-1-2-2-5-7-… (6+ weeks)

Tom Odell has been one of the most successful artists in my chart's history. His debut album Long Way Down was #2 in my EOY album chart 2013 and boasts the second longest tally for weeks on my top 15 album chart. Wrong Crowd was in my EOY top 5 2016 too. Jubilee Road doesn't make it so high, but it's another triumph for Tom, and one that would perhaps have been higher with more time. The songwriting feels much more like Tom at its core than anything he's done to date, and sees him growing up and starting to settle down on Jubilee Road. Highlights other than the singles include You're Gonna Break My Heart Tonight and the title track.

Top 40 Hits
02 Half As Good As You (feat. Alice Merton)
02 If You Wanna Love Somebody
40 Piano Man

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

14 Benjamin Ingrosso - Identification | 1-2-2-3-5-7-8-11-12-… (9+ weeks)

After a run of standalone singles, the success at Melodifestivalen of Dance You Off finally persuaded Benjamin Ingrosso to release his debut studio album, Identification. The outcome was solid - nothing was quite as good as the Swedish star's Eurovision entry, but nevertheless it's an enjoyable pop album. The singles all stand out positively, while songs like So Good So Fine When You're Messing With My Mind bring the fun side while I'll Be Fine Somehow sets the tone for the more mellow tracks. A really good album, one that puts Benjamin alongside the top players in the male pop music scene for sure.

Top 40 Hits
02 Dance You Off
02 I Wouldn't Know
28 Behave

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

13 Marcus & Martinus - Moments | 3-4-1-2-2-5-6-7-8-11-12-12-12-13-x-15-x-15-14-x (17 non-consecutive weeks)

Charting for the first time in the very first chart week of the year, Marcus & Martinus made their album chart debut with their third studio album Moments. The album came preceded by a number of singles, but it was Make You Believe in Love that finally made me sit up and take notice of the Finnish twins. It's a pop triumph and finished 50th in my EOY singles chart last year, but despite it only charting for one year in my top 40 this year, it's in my top 15 most played since January. The album is solid from start to finish, with well-produced pop songs being the name of the game. Dance With You is a great arena-ready yet more mellow track, while Like It Like It brings the fun to close the album (although Remind Me's late release saw it tagged onto the end, providing an even better finish...!)

Top 40 Hits
03 Make You Believe in Love
03 Remind Me
15 Like It Like It (feat. Silentó)

12 Isac Elliot - FAITH | 1-1-3-4-5-3-6-8-8-9-9-11-12-15-x (14 weeks)

For a while it felt like Isac Elliot's third studio album might never come. Singles Lipstick and No One Else in 2015 didn't lead anywhere, and although an EP followed in 2016 (a very good one at that), it seemed to be followed up by yet more standalone releases. However, Isac ultimately released his new album with less than a week's notice at the very end of 2017. It included all of his singles from 2015 onwards, even those included on the EP, and one new song: Uncover Me. Though it's more like a greatest hits album, Isac proves why he is one of pop's most consistent stars. He delivers catchy tracks so effortlessly, varying the tone of the album from uptempo floor-fillers (Mouth to Mouth, Lipstick) to more reflective ballads (I Wrote a Song for You, No One Else, What About Me). His best effort to date!

Top 40 Hits
01 Mouth to Mouth
05 Worth Something
06 Lipstick (feat. Tyga)
09 SHE
20 Beast (Tungevaag & Raaban & Isac Elliot)
23 AYO
23 What About Me
36 EYES SHUT

11 Kate Nash - Yesterday Was Forever | 1-3-4-6-8-7-8-9-10-12-14-x (11 weeks)

Just missing out on a top 10 spot is a huge return to form for Kate Nash. Her debut album Made of Bricks, released in 2007, is my all-time favourite album and is incredible from start to finish. 2010's My Best Friend is You ranks highly too, another strong collection. However, 2013's Girl Talk missed the mark quite a bit for me. Not a bad album, and still made #1 in my chart, but way off her usual quality and much more filler. Yesterday Was Forever doesn't top the first two albums, but it feels much more cohesive an effort from Kate after five years away. She doesn't lose her quirkiness on songs like My Little Alien, or her feistiness on songs like Hate You, but she cranks out quality pop music. Karaoke Kiss is my easy highlight - her best song in a long time, and her first #1 on my chart, and it sounds like it could be a lost Carly Rae Jepsen song. Superb effort and a welcome return!

Top 40 Hits
01 Karaoke Kiss
04 Hate You
08 Call Me
18 My Little Alien
20 Drink About You
20 Life in Pink

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post Dec 14 2018, 02:18 PM
Post #43
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247
Marcus & Martinus sick2.gif sick2.gif

Tom Odell on the other hand is amazing, his singles so far haven't been as great as the last album but IYWTLS is a proper masterpiece!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Dec 14 2018, 08:47 PM
Post #44
Group icon
QUOTE(PeteLeftLeeds @ Dec 14 2018, 02:18 PM) *
Marcus & Martinus sick2.gif sick2.gif

Tom Odell on the other hand is amazing, his singles so far haven't been as great as the last album but IYWTLS is a proper masterpiece!

Marcus & Martinus hate ohmy.gif talktothehand.gif

Glad you're loving Tom still! wub.gif

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Dec 14 2018, 08:51 PM
Post #45
Group icon
Albums

10 The Vamps - Night & Day (Day Edition) | 1-2-4-4-6-8-11-11-10-11-14-15-13-14-x (14 weeks)

The Vamps released the Day Edition of the Night & Day double album this year, and it became their fourth #1 album, tying the record with One Direction and Taylor Swift for most #1 albums. Overall, it became their shortest-running #1 album to date, but it's still a high quality dance/pop album and the bonus tracks from their individual editions are of a notably higher quality than the Night Edition. What Your Father Says and Cheap Wine stand out as non-single highlights, and dare I say they'd have been better singles than Hair Too Long and Just My Type.

Top 40 Hits
01 Personal (feat. Maggie Lindemann)
03 Hair Too Long
03 Too Good to Be True (Danny Avila & The Vamps feat. Machine Gun Kelly)
06 Just My Type

9 Shawn Mendes - Shawn Mendes | 1-1-2-3-5-6-5-7-5-6-9-7-8-10-14-13-12-14-15-x (19 weeks)

2018 saw Shawn Mendes releasing his third studio album, and it was his most mature effort yet. Lead single In My Blood immediately set the tone, seeing a more reflective and downbeat Shawn compared to his other hit singles. Despite the notable step up in maturity, In My Blood still feels very much Shawn, looking back to the album tracks across both Handwritten and Illuminate. The rest of the album saw him shake things up though, with Nervous and Lost In Japan both feeling quite JT-inspired, while he sings about the recent rise in school shooting and terrorist attacks in Youth. His Julia Michaels collaboration is great too, as well as album tracks like Perfectly Wrong and Where Were You in the Morning. His best album to date!

Top 40 Hits
01 In My Blood
06 Lost In Japan (Shawn Mendes & Zedd)
09 Nervous

8 Camila Cabello - Camila | 1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-2-4-4-7-9-14-14-14-x-8-12-10-11-11-12-14-x (23 non-consecutive weeks)

The longest running #1 album in my chart this year, Camila took advantage of a quiet time in the year by releasing her debut album in January. Not to belittle the achievement though, because she would have won those weeks hands down even with stronger competition too. Camila's album disppointed me a little on one listen, being way more ballad heavy than I expected. However, it feels way more authentic than an album full of bops would have felt. It's Camila through and through, and each of the ballads stood out to me in various ways with repeated listens. All These Years and Real Friends are brilliantly written, and Consequences is heartbreaking. The bops bring a lot to the album too - of course Havana is great, and She Loves Control is such a missed single opportunity.

Top 40 Hits
02 Havana (feat. Young Thug)
05 Never Be the Same
17 She Loves Control
27 Real Friends
36 Consequences
39 Inside Out
40 Into It

7 CNCO - CNCO | 1-1-1-3-4-4-6-8-8-11-15-14-15-13-14-12-15-15-x (18 weeks)

This album is one of my favourite surprises of the year. I was intrigued by CNCO's second album after I quite enjoyed their debut, and really loved the Reggaetón Lento remix with Little Mix. I didn't, however, expect to love it quite this much. The self-titled album from the Latin pop boyband debuted at #1 comfortably ahead of Kylie's Golden, and went on to dominate my singles chart, with eight songs in my top 40 in a single week. With Latin pop, you know what you're getting when you listen to it, and CNCO don't deviate far from the confines of the genre, but they sell it so well with catchy hooks even to me, who speaks only a limited amount of Spanish. I've got a ticket to see them in London next year and I am so excited, think it will be a really fun night!

Top 40 Hits
01 Sólo Yo
02 Mi Medicina
02 Reggaetón Lento (CNCO & Little Mix)
04 Hey DJ (CNCO with Yandel or Meghan Trainor & Sean Paul)
05 Se Vuelve Loca
12 Mala Actitud
19 Mamita
39 Fiesta en Mi Casa

6 Anne-Marie - Speak Your Mind | 3-1-2-3-4-4-5-6-8-9-7-8-9-10-11-8-9-11-15-14-13-15-x-4-6-9-11-14-8-4-... (29+ non-consecutive weeks)

Things are getting really tight at the top end of the countdown, as Anne-Marie's debut unfortunately misses out on my top 5. Speak Your Mind was highly anticipated, and it soared to #1 in its first full week of availability. All of the pre-album singles had me very hyped, and the album didn't miss the mark either. Across the entire deluxe album, I'd say only Machine and Some People are lowlights. The rest of the album is brilliant and a very assured debut from one of the most exciting names in pop music currently. It's a shame Anne-Marie seems to have garnered a lot of hate across Buzzjack, because this deserves a whole load more recognition on here!

Top 40 Hits
01 FRIENDS (Marshmello & Anne-Marie)
01 Heavy
01 Rockabye (Clean Bandit feat. Sean Paul & Anne-Marie)
01 Then
02 2002
02 Ciao Adios
03 Alarm
06 Perfect to Me
09 Don't Leave Me Alone (David Guetta feat. Anne-Marie)

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Dec 14 2018, 08:51 PM
Post #46
Group icon
Top 5

Alec Benjamin - Narrated for You
Lil Xan - TOTAL XANARCHY
Rita Ora - Phoenix
Troye Sivan - Bloom
Why Don't We - 8 Letters

Any predictions? ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Calum
post Dec 14 2018, 10:13 PM
Post #47
Group icon
nabad
User: 18,316
Shawn only #9? This EOY is cancelled x

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Dec 14 2018, 10:15 PM
Post #48
Group icon
QUOTE(Calum @ Dec 14 2018, 10:13 PM) *
Shawn only #9? This EOY is cancelled x

#9 is brilliant amongst such a strong top 10 though *.*

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Dec 15 2018, 12:04 AM
Post #49
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947
Hey Joseph, so much catching up to do as I've missed this all! <3

Oops not the best start for me kink.gif Anything other than TGS at #1 in compilations makes the list invalid x Ew down with Lil Xan x Maty Noyes EP was so disappointing for me after she delivered bops like In My Mind & London. Yasss at the kings WDW tho *.*

Time to get onto the albums *.*
Lucie's album disappointed me & I've barely returned to it at all sad.gif
Talk Of The Town is SO good and one of my fave albums of the year <3 It really took me by surprise how good it was as I've been interested in Catherine since last 2016 but it wasn't until Wild that I absolutely loved a song by her and the album slays. My fave album track is Good Goodbyes <3
Liberation is diabolical x That's all on that x
Blue is quite a solid album acc, Desperate & Purpose are such bops and def my faves of the non singles <3
I'm the same with having similar opinions on Jonas/Sigala albums *.* Just Got Paid is such a bop tho *.* Once again Nina is my album track highlight with Somebody *.*
Same with 7 haha x Christ at Goodbye going top 3 here tho, lemme pray for you xx Queen Ava Max's Let It Be Me>>>>>>>
Saara's album is SO good heart.gif Monsters, Dance, Dance While Nobody's Watching & Domino are my faves, all faves of mine this year <3
Caution was ok but not horrendous haha so idm it being here x
Golden Hour is really good, idk if I love it as much as others but High Horse + Slow Burn deserve all the acclaim they get <3
Cardi's album is full of bops from the singles to album tracks so yasss at that making it here *.*
Palo Santo is solid and All For You is def the highlight so yasss at us agreeing on that <3
Voicenotes is SHITE. Soz x Ik you've been bringing up 1st to 2nd album quality drops quite a lot so far but Charlie's is potentially the biggest ever for me. I loved him so much during the OTM era but now he irritates me so much and his music (bar Attention) has become SO bad sad.gif sad.gif His album drop in my chart was like 1.5m sold for OTM to under 50k for Voicenotes laugh.gif laugh.gif
Cry Pretty <3 <3 The titular track, Love Wins, The Bullet & Southbound are my highlights <3 Another beyond strong album from Carrie tho <3
LM5 slays and I agree with all your individual comments of the tracks bar Joan of Arc x The Cure & MIM are both such highlights <3
Bebe's expectations is so good, it deserved better sad.gif
Testament is so good and the two charted singles from you are by far my faves on the album <3
No Shame is also fab, even if it's probs my least fave Lily album ngl.
Youngblood is solid and Sweetener is underwhelming but the highs (NTLTC, Breathin) are up there with the best of the year
Love Golden, so many highlights and I'm shocked how much I've gone back to it this year!
Shawn was also pretty underwhelming bar Nervous, I need him to serve more bops
Camila is fab, even if she completely f***ed up the single choices haha
CNCO *.* Ahora Lloras Tu with Ana and Hey DJ with Meghan and Reggaeton Lento with LM>>>>>>>>>anything else they've done tho x
Anne's album is honestly so good (bar perfect) and full of bops so yasss it slaying here <3

Phoenix & 8 Letters better be the top 2 or I'm getting this thread deleted xxx

And I'm out x fab countdown so far <3

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post Dec 15 2018, 01:29 PM
Post #50
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053
Hooray for being one of about four people on this forum who like 'Make You Believe In Love'

Anne-Marie definitely gets way too much unwarranted hate, looking at that list on your chart they are mostly good songs! Plus she's always come across well in interviews etc. imo

+Quote this post
danG
post Dec 15 2018, 01:45 PM
Post #51
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
Out of that top five I'd go for Rita Ora though I expect it'll be a Why Don't We victory. tongue.gif

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Dec 15 2018, 02:19 PM
Post #52
Group icon
QUOTE(UltraReputation @ Dec 15 2018, 12:04 AM) *
Hey Joseph, so much catching up to do as I've missed this all! <3

Oops not the best start for me kink.gif Anything other than TGS at #1 in compilations makes the list invalid x Ew down with Lil Xan x Maty Noyes EP was so disappointing for me after she delivered bops like In My Mind & London. Yasss at the kings WDW tho *.*

Time to get onto the albums *.*
Lucie's album disappointed me & I've barely returned to it at all sad.gif
Talk Of The Town is SO good and one of my fave albums of the year <3 It really took me by surprise how good it was as I've been interested in Catherine since last 2016 but it wasn't until Wild that I absolutely loved a song by her and the album slays. My fave album track is Good Goodbyes <3
Liberation is diabolical x That's all on that x
Blue is quite a solid album acc, Desperate & Purpose are such bops and def my faves of the non singles <3
I'm the same with having similar opinions on Jonas/Sigala albums *.* Just Got Paid is such a bop tho *.* Once again Nina is my album track highlight with Somebody *.*
Same with 7 haha x Christ at Goodbye going top 3 here tho, lemme pray for you xx Queen Ava Max's Let It Be Me>>>>>>>
Saara's album is SO good heart.gif Monsters, Dance, Dance While Nobody's Watching & Domino are my faves, all faves of mine this year <3
Caution was ok but not horrendous haha so idm it being here x
Golden Hour is really good, idk if I love it as much as others but High Horse + Slow Burn deserve all the acclaim they get <3
Cardi's album is full of bops from the singles to album tracks so yasss at that making it here *.*
Palo Santo is solid and All For You is def the highlight so yasss at us agreeing on that <3
Voicenotes is SHITE. Soz x Ik you've been bringing up 1st to 2nd album quality drops quite a lot so far but Charlie's is potentially the biggest ever for me. I loved him so much during the OTM era but now he irritates me so much and his music (bar Attention) has become SO bad sad.gif sad.gif His album drop in my chart was like 1.5m sold for OTM to under 50k for Voicenotes laugh.gif laugh.gif
Cry Pretty <3 <3 The titular track, Love Wins, The Bullet & Southbound are my highlights <3 Another beyond strong album from Carrie tho <3
LM5 slays and I agree with all your individual comments of the tracks bar Joan of Arc x The Cure & MIM are both such highlights <3
Bebe's expectations is so good, it deserved better sad.gif
Testament is so good and the two charted singles from you are by far my faves on the album <3
No Shame is also fab, even if it's probs my least fave Lily album ngl.
Youngblood is solid and Sweetener is underwhelming but the highs (NTLTC, Breathin) are up there with the best of the year
Love Golden, so many highlights and I'm shocked how much I've gone back to it this year!
Shawn was also pretty underwhelming bar Nervous, I need him to serve more bops
Camila is fab, even if she completely f***ed up the single choices haha
CNCO *.* Ahora Lloras Tu with Ana and Hey DJ with Meghan and Reggaeton Lento with LM>>>>>>>>>anything else they've done tho x
Anne's album is honestly so good (bar perfect) and full of bops so yasss it slaying here <3

Phoenix & 8 Letters better be the top 2 or I'm getting this thread deleted xxx

And I'm out x fab countdown so far <3

Hiya Sam, thanks for all the comments!! *.*

QUOTE(dobbo @ Dec 15 2018, 01:29 PM) *
Hooray for being one of about four people on this forum who like 'Make You Believe In Love'

Anne-Marie definitely gets way too much unwarranted hate, looking at that list on your chart they are mostly good songs! Plus she's always come across well in interviews etc. imo

It's so underrated, it's a perfect example of how to do a pop song and dare I say, would be a hell of a lot more popular if a female sang it ph34r.gif

Glad you're another Anne-Marie fan too!!

QUOTE(dancember @ Dec 15 2018, 01:45 PM) *
Out of that top five I'd go for Rita Ora though I expect it'll be a Why Don't We victory. tongue.gif

Thanks Dan!!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Dec 15 2018, 02:46 PM
Post #53
Group icon
Albums

5 Lil Xan - TOTAL XANARCHY | 2-1-2-2-3-1-2-2-3-2-4-3-3-5-5-5-4-9-6-4-7-8-10-10-11-13-14-14-10-14-13-... (31+ weeks)

I'm going to be talking quite a lot about Lil Xan over this countdown but honestly I'm still not really sure what it is I like about his music. I guess he's good at creating a catchy chorus and a memorable melody, but actually his lyrics are pretty bad and it's so far removed from what I usually like. Maybe that's why I was so drawn to TOTAL XANARCHY. It's the biggest album of the year if we look at chart runs alone, but I have to take quality into account and it's definitely not a perfect album. Diamonds is kinda painful to listen to and Tick Tock is really not brilliant either, but there's plenty to enjoy too. Who I Am serves as a great opener (aside from a questionable word I'd rather he didn't use), and the run of Saved By the Bell and Moonlight is so good. Betrayed is a worthy song to be his signature track - it didn't get to make much of an impact in my singles chart but it's without a doubt his most "iconic" track. I always say I love a surprise in music and this album surprised me in ways I certainly didn't expect.

Top 40 Hits
01 Moonlight (Lil Xan & Charli XCX)
04 Color Blind (Diplo & Lil Xan)
10 Saved By the Bell
28 Betrayed
40 Slingshot

4 Alec Benjamin - Narrated for You | 1-1-2-… (3+ weeks)

It's always a risk to put new albums so high in this countdown as there's every chance they won't last in my affections, but the instant impact of this one is pretty undeniable. American singer/songwriter Alec Benjamin has been drip-feeding singles for a while now, but finally released his full body of work, described as a mixtape but I've opted to include it here rather than in my mixtapes post. It's a shining beacon displaying one of the best songwriters in pop music right now. Alec has a knack for writing catchy, accessible tracks about a variety of subject matters around love and life that I've not really heard others talk about. Water Fountain is an imaginative and heartfelt song about falling in love with someone who chooses a different guy over you, while Annabelle's Homework could be taken both literally and metaphorically - working hard for somebody who doesn't notice you. Let Me Down Slowly is the shining star of the album, with current production meeting Alec's heartbreaking lyrics about a relationship ending. I couldn't recommend this enough, and I think if this doesn't assure you of just how much I love this album, the fact that 11 of the 12 songs have charted in my top 40 at some point might...

Top 40 Hits
01 Let Me Down Slowly
03 1994
03 Steve
05 Outrunning Karma
06 Annabelle's Homework
07 Water Fountain
08 If We Have Each Other
33 Boy in the Bubble
35 Swim
38 Death of a Hero
38 If I Killed Someone for You

3 Rita Ora - Phoenix | 7-1-… (2+ weeks)

An even newer album, Phoenix was less of a surprise and more one of the most anticipated albums of 2018 for me. As every Rita fan knows, it's been a long journey to get to her second album, taking over 6 years from when ORA came out in 2012. Every single she released for this album was brilliant, and my expectations were high. That said, even if the album tracks were weak, the singles could quite easily carry the album. Thankfully, they don't have to, as there's loads to enjoy away from the six tracks we'd heard already. Only Want You presented itself as the clear next single, and First Time High is the Clean Bandit collaboration we never got in favour of Nowhere. Keep Talking is one of the biggest growers of the album, and the deluxe tracks all bring something different too. I love how we hear Rita singing songs we wouldn't expect her to, thanks to her eyes being mainly on the singles market. Songs like Falling to Pieces and Hell of a Life aren't chart-ready, but they serve as a brilliant display of Rita's versatility on this body of work. Rita is absolutely dominating the female pop scene right now, but please don't leave it so long til the next album x

Top 40 Hits
01 Anywhere
01 For You (Liam Payne & Rita Ora)
01 Girls (feat. Cardi B, Bebe Rexha & Charli XCX)
01 Let You Love Me
01 Lonely Together (Avicii feat. Rita Ora)
01 Only Want You
07 Your Song

2 Troye Sivan - Bloom | 1-2-2-3-3-4-3-3-4-6-6-6-10-10-… (14+ weeks)

Here we are at last. Just missing out on achieving a second EOY album #1, Troye Sivan's Bloom doesn't manage to follow Blue Neighbourhood to the top, but it nevertheless puts up a brilliant fight. What's interesting is that both of these top 2 albums actually came out on the same day! Bloom was THE most anticipated album of the year for me. Following Blue Neighbourhood was an impossible task, and I never expected it to top what's become my second all-time favourite album. That said, Bloom does a damn good job regardless. We see a more comfortable Troye, feeling more than happy in his own skin in songs like My My My!, Bloom and Plum, and the opener Seventeen sets the scene superbly. Lucky Strike is my personal favourite non-single, an ode to falling in love with somebody. It gives me that exciting warm feeling inside and became a huge hit in my chart even without the single treatment. Troye joins forces with Ariana on the smooth and silky Dance to This, and he excels on tracks like What a Heavenly Way to Die and Animal too, both of which could easily have slotted into Blue Neighbourhood's tracklist. It's an evolution in the best way. Troye knows how to make excellent pop music with plenty of personality, and always with the message to be who you want to be. It always makes me sad to see his lack of commercial success, but nevertheless the critical reaction definitely makes up for it.

Top 40 Hits
01 Bloom
01 My My My!
02 Lucky Strike
05 Dance to This (feat. Ariana Grande)
13 The Good Side
21 Animal
26 Plum
30 Seventeen

1 Why Don't We - 8 Letters | 6-1-1-1-2-3-1-1-1-2-3-4-6-8-... (14+ weeks)

And finally, my favourite album of the year. It's probably no surprise to see American boyband Why Don't We at #1 with their debut release, because they've truly dominated my year from start to finish. It's quite impressive, considering the album contains only 8 songs, 3 of which I'd heard already as singles. However, that didn't hinder my first listen whatsoever. The singles are spread out and the new songs interweave brilliantly. Why Don't We have mastered the art of excellent pop music - the album is varied, switching between uptempo, radio-friendly bops like Talk and Friends, while they manage to delve deeper into their emotions with the remarkably mature 8 Letters, In Too Deep and Hard. Although I'd have enjoyed a few more songs, that's my only criticism. Ultimately, I'd rather quality over quantity, and there's not a single weak link among all eight tracks. Each band member gets a moment to shine - Jack takes the lead on several songs and for me is the shining star, with his choruses on Hooked and 8 Letters being superb as well as his adlibs on Hard, but nobody is left by the wayside as can often happen in boybands. The future is bright for Why Don't We, and I think things will only get better. Now for the UK to sit up and take notice...!

Top 40 Hits
01 8 Letters
01 Hooked
01 Talk
01 Trust Fund Baby [Japanese bonus track]
10 These Girls [Japanese bonus track]
31 Hard
31 Something Different [Japanese bonus track]
39 Choose
40 Friends

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Dec 15 2018, 03:09 PM
Post #54
Group icon
Albums

1 Why Don't We - 8 Letters
2 Troye Sivan - Bloom
3 Rita Ora - Phoenix
4 Alec Benjamin - Narrated for You
5 Lil Xan - TOTAL XANARCHY
6 Anne-Marie - Speak Your Mind
7 CNCO - CNCO
8 Camila Cabello - Camila
9 Shawn Mendes - Shawn Mendes
10 The Vamps - Night & Day (Day Edition)

11 Kate Nash - Yesterday Was Forever
12 Isac Elliot - FAITH
13 Marcus & Martinus - Moments
14 Benjamin Ingrosso - Identification
15 Tom Odell - Jubilee Road
16 Ariana Grande - Sweetener
17 Kylie Minogue - Golden
18 5 Seconds of Summer - Youngblood
19 Lily Allen - No Shame
20 All Saints - Testament

21 Bebe Rexha - Expectations
22 Jagwar Twin - Subject to Flooding
23 George Ezra - Staying At Tamara's
24 Little Mix - LM5
25 FELIX SANDMAN - EMOTIONS
26 Carrie Underwood - Cry Pretty
27 Charlie Puth - Voicenotes
28 Years & Years - Palo Santo
29 Cardi B - Invasion of Privacy
30 Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour

31 Mariah Carey - Caution
32 Saara Aalto - Wild Wild Wonderland
33 David Guetta - 7
34 Sigala - Brighter Days
35 Jonas Blue - Blue
36 Christina Aguilera - Liberation
37 Nemo Schiffman - Omen
38 Catherine McGrath - Talk of This Town
39 James Bay - Electric Light
40 Lucie Silvas - E.G.O.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post Dec 15 2018, 07:07 PM
Post #55
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247
Interesting (but semi-expected) choice of #1 - I've not heard much Why Don't We but they've sounded alright from what I've heard, I recognise a former avatar of yours in the album cover as well wink.gif

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post Dec 16 2018, 12:45 AM
Post #56
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308
*pretends to be shocked*

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Dec 16 2018, 01:20 PM
Post #57
Group icon
QUOTE(PeteLeftLeeds @ Dec 15 2018, 07:07 PM) *
Interesting (but semi-expected) choice of #1 - I've not heard much Why Don't We but they've sounded alright from what I've heard, I recognise a former avatar of yours in the album cover as well wink.gif

kink.gif top marks for observation magic.gif thanks Pete!!

QUOTE(CodySleighBell-y @ Dec 16 2018, 12:45 AM) *
*pretends to be shocked*

ph34r.gif

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Dec 16 2018, 01:26 PM
Post #58
Group icon
Points Charts

A quick interlude before the main countdown where we take a look at what did well in my personal chart this year. As explained before, I compile a points chart using my weekly top 40 but I don't class it as my official EOY because I don't find it especially representative, particularly as newer tracks are at an immediate disadvantage.

Singles

1 728 Why Don't We - Hooked [01]
2 685 froy - sideswipe [01]
3 632 Why Don't We - Trust Fund Baby [01]
4 596 Lil Xan & Charli XCX - Moonlight [01]
5 545 Why Don't We - 8 Letters [01]
6 457 Why Don't We - Talk [01]
7 456 Marshmello & Anne-Marie - FRIENDS [01]
8 455 Rita Ora - Anywhere [01]
9 449 Troye Sivan - My My My! [01]
10 435 Cardi B, Bad Bunny & J Balvin - I Like It [03]

11 425 Rita Ora feat. Cardi B, Bebe Rexha & Charli XCX - Girls [01]
12 386 Jonas Blue feat. Jack & Jack - Rise [01]
13 386 Alec Benjamin - Let Me Down Slowly [01]
14 363 Ruel - Younger [02]
15 351 Liam Payne & Rita Ora - For You [01]
16 344 Benjamin Ingrosso - Dance You Off [02]
17 329 Isac Elliot - Mouth to Mouth [01]
18 311 Rita Ora - Let You Love Me [01]
19 307 Shawn Mendes - In My Blood [01]
20 307 PRETTYMUCH - Summer On You [05]

21 285 Zedd, Maren Morris & Grey - The Middle [01]
22 284 Diplo & Lil Xan - Color Blind [04]
23 280 HRVY & Malu Trevejo - Hasta Luego [01]
24 277 Zedd & Elley Duhé - Happy Now [01]
25 276 Ulrik Munther - Before [02]
26 267 CNCO - Se Vuelve Loca [05]
27 266 Ariana Grande - no tears left to cry [01]
28 266 Dua Lipa & BLACKPINK - Kiss and Make Up [01]
29 265 Zak Abel - Still Want UUU [04]
30 261 Noah Cyrus & Lil Xan - Live or Die [01]

31 257 Clean Bandit feat. Demi Lovato - Solo [03]
32 256 Freya Ridings - Lost Without You [05]
33 255 Alec Benjamin - Outrunning Karma [05]
34 253 Camila Cabello - Never Be the Same [05]
35 253 FELIX SANDMAN - EVERY SINGLE DAY [03]
36 252 Louisa feat. 2 Chainz - YES [01]
37 248 Clean Bandit feat. Julia Michaels - I Miss You [02]
38 247 Mariah Carey - All I Want For Christmas Is You [03]
39 246 5 Seconds of Summer - Want You Back [01]
40 244 Tom Odell feat. Alice Merton - Half As Good As You [02]

Perhaps a little indicator of what's to come, but of course you'll spot a few older tracks in there that won't feature - Anywhere and I Miss You were in last year's EOY, while Mariah's seasonal classic won't be appearing either (and it's actually improved on that #3 peak since the cut-off for this EOY, finally making it to #1!). As expected though, there's a Why Don't We domination, taking up four of my top 6, while the likes of Rita Ora and Lil Xan have multiple appearances too.

Albums: 2018

1 631 Lil Xan - TOTAL XANARCHY [01]
2 471 Camila Cabello - Camila [01]
3 436 Why Don't We - 8 Letters [01]
4 409 Anne-Marie - Speak Your Mind [01]
5 378 Ruel - Ready - EP [01]
6 339 Troye Sivan - Bloom [01]
7 333 Why Don't We - Invitation - EP [01]
7 333 Lil Xan - Heartbreak Soldiers [01]
8 300 Shawn Mendes - Shawn Mendes [01]
10 257 CNCO - CNCO [01]

We actually can compare this now because we've seen the album EOY, and interestingly, we see Lil Xan comfortably ahead of the rest. The fact it's been out longer than competitors like Why Don't We and Troye Sivan is helpful, and that works in Camila Cabello's favour too, especially as she had so many weeks at #1 in a quieter period of my chart.

Albums: Pre-2018

1 447 Paloma Faith - The Architect [01]
2 386 Taylor Swift - reputation [01]
3 353 Dua Lipa - Dua Lipa [01]
4 330 Declan McKenna - What Do You Think About the Car? [01]
5 194 Britney Spears - The Singles Collection [01]
6 164 Demi Lovato - Tell Me You Love Me [01]
7 131 Troye Sivan - Blue Neighbourhood [01]
8 102 Little Mix - Glory Days [01]
9 95 Shakira - El Dorado [02]
10 87 Zak Abel Only When We're Naked [01]

The albums that have stuck around! Paloma Faith's had a big year for The Architect, fuelled by her concert earlier this year, much like a lot of this list in fact. Perhaps most notable is Britney Spears, impacting after I saw her on two consecutive nights in August!

+Quote this post
Calum
post Dec 16 2018, 01:37 PM
Post #59
Group icon
nabad
User: 18,316
Yasss 8 Letters and Bloom wub.gif At least Lil Xan didn't make it any higher than #5 kink.gif

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post Dec 16 2018, 08:45 PM
Post #60
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308
I wonder if you’re gonna post a full points chart for the year just for funsies

Does this mean All I Want For Christmas Is You will be your first #1 to not make your year end in 2019?

+Quote this post

16 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:38 AM