BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Artist News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> This Used to Be My Playground ● 25 Years
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post 30th July 2017, 01:06 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

It's been 25 years since 'This Used to Be My Playground' - the theme to the film A League of Their Own in which Madonna starred.

In early 1992, after wrapping up filming for A League of Their Own, Madonna and Shep Pettibone were busy working on the recording sessions for Erotica. Columbia representatives approached Madonna to ask if she'd record a song for the film and, after deciding none of the demos they had been working on would be appropriate, Madonna and Pettibone wrote and produce a ballad titled 'This Used to Be My Playground' in just two days. It's a song very reminiscent of the themes explored in the Like a Prayer album as Madonna sings of revisiting places from her childhood. As we reach different milestones and chapters of our lives that come with their own challenges and frustrations, we tend to look back to our childhood for more simple and innocent times, returning to places we associate these feelings with. Madonna debates with her head and her heart; she knows she should move on with life but it's hard to stop looking back during times of heartache and tribulations.

Although not well-remembered today, 'This Used to Be My Playground' was positively received by critics and was a big chart success, reaching the Top 10 in countries across the world and notably peaking at #1 in the US, becoming her 10th to do so and thus breaking her tie with Whitney Houston as the female artist with the most number one singles.

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 30th July 2017, 01:14 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

I don't return to this much but it's one that I really enjoy when I do, usually when I play Something to Remember. It's so melancholy and I'm really drawn to the lyrics. Big shame she's never performed this on tour, I feel like it particularly would have suited her last one.

I've always like how this song provides a good stepping stone between Like a Prayer and Erotica - one album is very reflective and refers to childhood whilst the other deals with adult issues and experience and this song combines the two.

+Quote this post
vibe
post 30th July 2017, 05:44 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

Madonna hates this song.

It's my aunts fav M song , I don't listen to it often but I enjoy when I do.
It's from madonnas best performance in a film imo.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 6th August 2017, 01:18 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

It makes me sad that Madonna dislikes songs like this and insists on shoving 'Candy Shop' down our throats. sad.gif

Not seen A League of Their Own! #flopfan

+Quote this post
RosaParksMyCar
post 6th August 2017, 06:27 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
User: 16,548

This could be elevated to an 8 if the production was so dreary and basic. It's a shame because I really love the lyrics

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 8th August 2017, 04:11 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

True, the production isn't very instant, which I suspect is largely why I don't return to it on its own very much. As part of the Something to Remember album, it works perfectly as part of the experience, even if it is slap bang in the middle of two of Madonna's most bold and celebrated ballads.

+Quote this post
Tyler
post 8th August 2017, 10:14 PM
Post #7
Group icon
If people hate you, don’t hate them.
User: 67

I'm shocked and upset to hear she prefers 'Candy Shop'. 🤦🏻‍♂️

It's like Britney performing 'Boys' but paying dust to 'Overprotected'.

+Quote this post
RosaParksMyCar
post 8th August 2017, 10:20 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
User: 16,548

Candy Shop*.*

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 11th August 2017, 05:11 PM
Post #9
Group icon
User: 13,007

Candy Shop tho *__*

I don't really return to this either, it's fairly throwaway. It randomly makes me think of Final Fantasy 7 and the abandoned playgrounds in that (reference that will be lost on many laugh.gif)

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 04:11 AM