BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
10 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Christina Aguilera: Singles Rate: RESULTS, WINNER & FULL RESULTS ANNOUNCED...
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Nina West
post Jun 22 2020, 05:08 PM
Post #1
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

Welcome Buzzjack to the Christina Aguilera - Singles Rate - The Results. 23 of U took part & 40 songs in the running, but which will come out on top.. stay tuned 2 find out.

A reminder of what's to come:

Reflection
Genie In A Bottle
What A Girl Wants
I Turn To You
Come On Over Baby (All I Want Is You)

Nobody Wants To Be Lonely [ft Ricky Martin]
Lady Marmalade [ft Mya, Lil' Kim & Pink]

[s[Dirrty [ft Redman][/s]
Beautiful
Fighter
Can't Hold Us Down [ft Lil' Kim]
The Voice Within'

Car Wash [ft Missy Elliot]
Tilt Ya Head Back [ft Nelly]

Ain't No Other Man
Hurt
Candyman
Slow Down Baby
Oh Mother

Keeps Gettin' Better

Not Myself Tonight
Woohoo [ft Nicki Minaj]
You Lost Me
I Hate Boys
Bionic*

Express
Show Me How You Burlesgue

Your Body
Just A Fool [ft Blake Shelton]
Let There Be Love*

Say Something [ft A Great Big World]
We Remain

Accelerate [ft Ty Dollar Sign & 2 Chainz]
Fall In Line [ft Demi Lovato]
Like I Do
Twice*

Tell Me [ft P-Diddy]
Moves Like Jagger [ft Maroon 5]
Feel This Moment [ft Pitbull]
Fall On Me [ft A Great Big World]

Thoughts? Predictions ? please feel free to share & everything will be revelled in due course....

This post has been edited by Nina West: Jul 9 2020, 01:36 AM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
vibe
post Jun 22 2020, 06:30 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763
Shame only 23 people took part .
She deserves more !!

I’m looking forward to it and want Oh Mother to do well smile.gif

+Quote this post
George.keh
post Jun 22 2020, 06:41 PM
Post #3
Group icon
#VoteGarden.Keh
User: 32,047
Say Something to flop hard

+Quote this post
Andrew.
post Jun 22 2020, 07:48 PM
Post #4
Group icon
is in hibernation
User: 21,161
AccSlayerate to...slay.

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post Jun 22 2020, 08:45 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116
I’m hoping Accelerate is last personally!

I’m feeling like something from Stripped era could be #1 here.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Jun 22 2020, 11:05 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Now we talk about a wasted future

#40. We Remain | 5.047

Highest Scores: 10: (Nightcrawler), Lowest Scores: 0: (vibe, WinterFreeze, Nick F1)

In the bottom position & having the honour of being the first one out is "We Remain", released in October 2013 as the 3rd single from "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" movie soundtrack, following Coldplay's "Atlas" & Sia's "Elastic Heart". Upon release the song garnered critical acclaim, but struggled to find any significant chart success, unlike the previous 2 singles & after this Xtina would take a long break from the music scene. I suppose the track is okay enough, but nothing especially memorable, its just kinda there & doesn't really compare to some of her previous much better ballads. Can see why its dead last here, its very filler & just kinda fades into the background.

#39. I Hate Boys | 5.238

Highest Scores: 8: (ready for it, Tawdry Hepburn, Andrew), Lowest Scores: 1: (Nightcrawler)

At #39 we have I Hate Boys, released in June 2010 as the 2nd single from her 6th studio album "Bionic" for the Australian & New Zealand markets, as well as being the 4th & final overall single from that album also. Upon release it received a mixed critical reception with some calling it a girl anthem, while others labelled it filler & I have to agree with the latter. I mean WHY was this chosen as a single, it just seems so random with its cluttered production & banal lyrics that just gives the whole thing a rather empty feel. It was obvious by this point that both the label & probably Xtina herself completely gave up on this era by this point & given the poor reception to the previous singles, they just decided to throw some random album track out there & call it a single.

#38. Accelerate (ft Ty Dollar Sign & 2 Chainz) | 5.238

Highest Scores: 11: (Andrew), Lowest Scores: 1: (Nightcrawler)

At #38 is one of Xtina's more recent efforts Accelerate, released in May 2018 as the lead single from her 8th studio album "Liberation" & features guest vocals from singer Ty Dollar Sign & rapper 2 Chainz, with production by Kanye West alongside several others. Upon release it performed poorly by making very low/minor dents on a few charts worldwide including USA, Scotland & France. But did manage to become her 10th #1 on the US Billboard Dance Club Songs chart. Her first album in 6 years following "Lotus" & returns with this rather experimental number which has a deconstructed drum-heavy beat & while I do appreciate that she's taking a risk here with something rather different, but its only good when its done right & sadly this isn't one of them. Given the amount of songwriters on board here, its no wonder that this sounds like a total mess & feels like it's building towards something, but never quite gets there. The 2 featured artists adds nothing to the song, making their presences on here rather lacklustre. Also this track doesn't push her vocal talents at all & don't get me started on that awful cheap music video.

#37. Like I Do | 5.357

Highest Scores: 9.5: (Andrew), Lowest Scores: 2: (Nick F1, Bjork)

At #37 we lose another "Liberation" single with Like I Do, released in June 2018 as the 3rd & final single from said album & features American rapper GoldLink. The track recieved positive reviews & received a Grammy nomination for 'Best Rap/Sung Performance' in 2019. Now until I started this rate I didn't know this was a single & upon listening, its a rather nice little track with some nice sensual vocals by Christina herself & some slick contemporay production that begins with a rather lengthy rap by GoldLink which isn't half bad with some fun references to her previous hits. Definately one of the most fun & memorable moments on the album & probably would have made a better lead single choice.

#36. Feel This Moment (ft Pitbull) | 5.363

Highest Scores: 10: (Cameron), Lowest Scores: -1: (Davidson, Bjork)

The last to feature in this bunch is one of one of Xtina's many collaborations with Feel This Moment, alongside American rapper Pitbull. Released in February 2013 as the 4th single from his 7th studio album 'Global Warming' & interpolates A-Ha's 'Take On Me'. Upon release the song became a commerical success by reaching #8 on the US Top 100, making this his 8th top 10 entry & Christina's 10th. Elsewhere it fared even better by hitting top 5 peaks in many countries such as Spain, Austria, Canada, New Zealand, UK & more, as well as top 10 peaks in several other countries. I used to really like this song when it first came out, but now over time its really a product of its time with its generic production & that A-Ha sample adds nothing to the track & while I do find Xtina's verses enjoyable, she does kinda over-sing over the loud noisy beats. Even in the music video where she pops up in almost every frame reeking of desperation & clinging onto relevancy, which by this point was sadly almost gone. While Pitbull just spouts the same old raps like he does on every song he's done. So on the whole its an okay song, just very much of its time & nothing more.

This post has been edited by Nina West: Jun 23 2020, 09:55 PM

+Quote this post
Andrew.
post Jun 22 2020, 11:21 PM
Post #7
Group icon
is in hibernation
Not her best song in 38th tearsmile.gif I could write an essay on Accelerate lmao

I Hate Boys and Feel This Moment are good fun! Like I Do is such a jam as well ffs

+Quote this post
George.keh
post Jun 23 2020, 12:06 AM
Post #8
Group icon
#VoteGarden.Keh
User: 32,047
I really love Accelerate sad.gif Sad to see it do so poorly

+Quote this post
Andrew.
post Jun 23 2020, 12:28 AM
Post #9
Group icon
is in hibernation
Accelerate is THE statement to come back with. Xtina hadn't released for 6 years and hadn't had a proper solo hit since 2006 so she could've made some desperate attempt to sell out and get one but she chose to surprise us. And it helps it's a f***ing incredible song.

+Quote this post
vibe
post Jun 23 2020, 07:45 AM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763
Accelerate is far too low!

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Jun 23 2020, 10:37 AM
Post #11
Group icon
Another 5 will drop later today, any guesses, some will be collaborations, any guesses...

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post Jun 23 2020, 10:47 AM
Post #12
Group icon
Jord
I can’t see Moves Like Jagger doing too well on a poll on this site so I wouldn’t be too shocked if that left early.

As for what’s left so far... We Remain in last place is most upsetting. I had a feeling Accelerate would be low pretty much opposite to Andrew here to be fair though I think had it not been a lead single i could’ve enjoyed it as an album track but it was such a questionable lead single choice! To be fair though with the track having a slight urban affair to it I’m kinda shocked it didn’t take off on streaming I find if I dislike a track or feel indifferent to it then it’s usually a massive hit in today’s charts laugh.gif having said that though one of the features on the track literally sounds like he’s dying on the chorus and Xtina’s signature voice is kinda lost in the production of the track.

+Quote this post
blacksquare
post Jun 23 2020, 12:08 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 23,471
I didn't rate (oops) but both 'Accelerate' and 'Like I Do' are criminally underrated~

+Quote this post
Scene
post Jun 23 2020, 03:59 PM
Post #14
Group icon
This is where you end and I begin
User: 5,567
Watching the Accelerate video makes me sad. The close up shot of her lips. drama.gif Like they barely move, why are you focusing on them?!

+Quote this post
Andrew.
post Jun 23 2020, 04:30 PM
Post #15
Group icon
is in hibernation
QUOTE(Scene @ Jun 23 2020, 04:59 PM) *
Watching the Accelerate video makes me sad. The close up shot of her lips. drama.gif Like they barely move, why are you focusing on them?!

Queen of making an entire music video just to show off her new lip fillers cheeseblock.png

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Jun 23 2020, 09:44 PM
Post #16
Group icon
Babydoll just come to life

#35. Woohoo (ft Nicki Minaj) | 5.761

Highest Scores: 10: (Andrew), Lowest Scores: 0/-1: (Tawdry Hepburn, Scene)

At #35 we lose yet another "Bionic" single: Woohoo, released in May 2010 as the album's 2nd single & features Trinidadian rapper Nicki Minaj. The song samples he 1972 song "Add már uram az esőt" by Kati Kovács, Lyrically the track's about oral sex & upon release it recieved a mixed critical reception & managed to peak at #46 & #79 on the Canadian & USA charts respectively, becoming Xtina's 15th straight single to hit both charts, keeping her streak of having all her singles chart on the top 100 (for the time being), however the song fell off the charts the following week. Elsewhere it also managed to chart at a mere #148 on the UK charts after the release of the album there. There were plans to shoot a music video, but these plans were scrapped: Stevie Boi was set to direct. I honestly think that if this track was more successful, then it would have done better on here, but without a video this little bop was doomed from the start, as something visual really could have at least helped elevate this raunchy little number that features some great confident rapping from Miss Minaj herself, who really helps makes this a whole lot better, while Xtina just has fun with it's crassness nature dripped over some cool electro-synths. Okay this may never be one of her better moments, but you gotta admit this lost little gem deserved better.

#34. Show Me How You Burlesque | 5.785

Highest Scores: 10: (#VoteGarden.keh), Lowest Scores: 0: (Bjork)

At #34 is Show Me How You Burlesque, which was released in November 2010 & featured on the soundtrack album to the film 'Burlesque', which also stars Christina herself. Before being released, a demo version of the track entitled "Spotlight" was leaked online. Upon release the track garnered mainly positive reviews & managed to gain some chart success Internationally by hitting a top 10 peak in New Zealand, as well as top 30 peaks in Finland, Switzerland & Australia, along with lower peaks in USA, Germany & Canada. I feel that this track probably works better when in context of the movie itself, because on its own it doesn't really stand out, as there's a distinct lack of melody & hooks on display here, making this a rather forgettable little number that you probably won't remember after listening to it.

#33. Say Something (ft A Great Big World) | 5.804

Highest Scores: 10: (ready for it, Nightcrawler, Bjork, Jordan Lee), Lowest Scores: -1/0: (Nick F1, Nick Jonas, #VoteGarden.keh, ElectroBoy)

At #33 is Xtina's final top 10 hit to date Say Something, which is a song by American duo 'A Great Big World' & featured on their debut album 'Is There Anybody Out There'. The song was originally recorded by Axel for his solo album This Is the New Year (2011). It was later released as a single by the duo on September 3, 2013, by Epic Records, where it failed to gain any significant attention until it was used on American reality TV show 'So You Think You Can Dance' where it gained attention by Christina herself who wanted to collaborate on the track with them * the rest is history. Upon release the re-recorded version of the track became a huge smash hit by topping the charts in Australia, Belgium & Canada, as well as top 5 peaks in several countries such as New Zealand, Austria, Sweden, UK & USA. Originally this track was a lot higher, gaining quite a few 10's, but the several scores of -1's really pulled it down into the bottom 10 of this countdown. Christina's powerful yet understated vocals really helps make this a nice little emotional yet moving number, simple yet powerful at the same time & yeah it does feel a little cliched, it did keep Xtina's name out there in public relevancy for a little while out there.

#32. Car Wash (ft Missy Elliot) | 5.847

Highest Scores: 10: (Cameron), Lowest Scores: 1: (ElectroBoy)

At #32 is one of Christina's earlier efforts Car Wash, released in August 2004 as the lead & only single from the animated movie Shark Tale soundtrack & features American rapper-singer Missy Elliot. The track was a cover originally recorded by Rose Royce in 1976 as a Disco song, but this version was given a more modern Hip-Hop R&B feel with added rapped verses.
Upon release this track acted as bit of a stop-gap for Xtina who was coming off the massive success of her 'Stripped' album & singles. The track became a commericial success by reaching top 5 peaks in Australia, Belgium, New Zealand, Netherlands, UK, Denmark, Ireland & Switzerland, as well as top 10/20 peaks in several other countries. In the USA it found moderate success by reaching a #63 peak. This is a fine enough tune with some nice soulful vocals by Xtina herself & Missy's raps adds a layer of fun to the whole thing, which is very much of a product of its time & more or less forgotten by most people these days, but its still a nice little fun time, nothing more, nothing less.

#31. Moves Like Jagger (ft Maroon 5) | 5.891

Highest Scores: 10: (ready for it, Bjork), Lowest Scores: -1: (Nick F1)

At #31 & the last of this bunch is Moves Like Jagger, a song by American band Maroon 5 & released in June 2011 as the 4th and final single from the re-release of their 3rd album 'Hands All Over'. To call this a hit is an understatement, this was absolutely HUGE!, going onto top the charts in 18 countries worldwide & helped revitalize Maroon 5's career while Xtina's was left in the dust & could never quite recover. What can I say about this which hasn't been said already, I still really like this song, but I guess its overplay really killed it, which is why it probably struggled on here, (I really thought this would have done better), but oh well. This little bop was meant to be a little throwaway track, until of course it blew up everywhere & completely changed Maroon 5's sound being more about lead singer Adam Levine, instead of being an actual band, where before this it looked like their heyday were behind them. I think the reason why they benefited more than Xtina is simply because they dominate the song more, while she waits until towards to sing her verses which in actual fact doesn't really add much, hell she doesn't even sound that interested & is she even in the music video at the same time as them. On the whole whatever you may think about this, its still a pretty catchy summer anthem with some undeniable hooks which helps make this a song for the ages.

This post has been edited by Nina West: Jun 23 2020, 09:56 PM

+Quote this post
Scene
post Jun 23 2020, 09:57 PM
Post #17
Group icon
This is where you end and I begin
User: 5,567
"You small tuna fish" YES MISSY music.gif

I remember finding Christina's 2004 hair really off-putting. drama.gif My sister told me it was because she was going bald from the hair dye of the Stripped era. tearsmile.gif No massive losses although I do like most of those tracks. 'Woohoo' is absolutely puke.gif How 'You Lost Me' shares the same album with that dirge is beyond me.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Jun 23 2020, 10:27 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
'I Hate Boys' is a banger, although honestly before this rate I had no idea it was a single anywhere. 'Woohoo' is shite.

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post Jun 23 2020, 10:38 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Jord
Say Something is stunning. Her best track where she’s featured artist for me.

It’s also a GRAMMY winner isn’t it? A beautiful song though.

Woohoo is my favourite thing Nicki has ever been involved with too.

Moves Like Jagger I could’ve predicted would be around where it is but yeah it’s not really that worthy of the huge success it had. I was really surprised by that at the time tbh and still am to an extent.

+Quote this post
Andrew.
post Jun 23 2020, 10:43 PM
Post #20
Group icon
is in hibernation
Woohoo is amaze idec

Moves is a tune, it's not something I'd want to play on my own accord but I can enjoy it when it comes on.

+Quote this post

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 06:23 AM