BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Artist News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 'Like a Virgin' ranked 9th best Diamond-certified album, Billboard
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post Apr 9 2020, 07:55 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

9. Madonna, Like a Virgin (1984, 10x Platinum)
Madonna’s musical and conceptual ambitions would grow from here, but the pure thrills of Like a Virgin are not to be overshadowed: “Angel” and “Dress You Up” are perfectly synth-popped chewing gum, “Material Girl” does Marilyn and Motown proud, and the title track is rivaled only by “Billie Jean” as the defining jam of MTV’s formative years. A year later she’d give a couple brilliant singles away to soundtracks, seemingly just because she could.

See all 92 Diamond-certified albums ranked here: https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/bil..._Pm_-78nUHlom9g
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Apr 9 2020, 08:16 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Idol

I'm pleased to see Madonna so highly recognised, although Like a Virgin is probably my least favourite album for me. It's a fun album but it doesn't excite me in the way other albums do - the production is basic 80s pop and the music doesn't go to the same depths. Granted, it doesn't have the lows of MDNA, but I can at least make an album I like to return to out of that. 'Angel' and 'Dress You Up' are the main songs I take away from this album, then 'Material Girl' and 'Like a Virgin' are fun at the club but not ones I'd seek out.

+Quote Post
Jordanlee
post Apr 9 2020, 09:55 PM
Post #3
Jord
Group: Members
Member No.: 27,116

Was this the only Madonna album featured?

I always thought True Blue was her biggest seller for some reason unless that’s UK and not US laugh.gif

This is a good album though for being in the stage she was of her career when it was released. She bettered it many times since but it is a classic for sure.

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Apr 9 2020, 10:48 PM
Post #4
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,007

Yeah this is not her best album by any means but recognition is recognition!

I like how they reference "defining jam of MTV’s formative years" because it truly was an ICONIC era and I guess it's here just for the pure simplistic JOY as the opening line says.

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Apr 9 2020, 11:01 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(Jordan Lee @ Apr 9 2020, 10:55 PM) *
Was this the only Madonna album featured?

I always thought True Blue was her biggest seller for some reason unless that’s UK and not US laugh.gif

This is a good album though for being in the stage she was of her career when it was released. She bettered it many times since but it is a classic for sure.

It was her only entry, yes. True Blue is her best selling studio album worldwide and the UK, but second in the US with 7m sales (7x Platinum).

The Immaculate Collection is also certified Diamond but presumably this list excludes compilations.

QUOTE(Hauspital* @ Apr 9 2020, 11:48 PM) *
I like how they reference "defining jam of MTV’s formative years" because it truly was an ICONIC era and I guess it's here just for the pure simplistic JOY as the opening line says.

When I think of this era, it's the visuals and fashion that first comes to my mind, so that reference is spot on.

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Apr 9 2020, 11:40 PM
Post #6
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,007

Looking at the tracklist, apart from Shoo-Bee-Doo, there are no real HORRORS. It's a fairly short, compact but fun listen through, it just doesn't have the HUGE moments that many of the other albums possess. A cute listen, but 9th best on any list? I don't think ~

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Apr 10 2020, 12:13 AM
Post #7
BuzzJack Idol

I actually think 'Shoo Bee Doo' is pretty cute! It's not a favourite or anything, it would probably be quite low down on a personal rank of her 80s material, but it gets a bad rap from fans and critics. Other than that, I do agree that Like a Virgin is a pleasant listen, I just want to be taken on a journey with Madonna's albums and I just don't get that from this.

+Quote Post
vibe
post Apr 10 2020, 09:52 AM
Post #8
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 11,763
   No Gallery Pics

This album is iconic you can’t underestimate how huge she was in this particular era.

Not a fav of mine tho .

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:17 PM