BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> 
29 Pages V  « < 16 17 18 19 20 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Jade's favourite top 40 hits of each year ● 1997 onwards, 2005: 40-21 posted
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Jade
post Aug 3 2020, 03:48 PM
Post #341
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

20. Britney Spears - I'm A Slave 4 U
(chart-run: 4-7-12-20-23-36-44-57-51-48-48-49-59-72)

19. Groove Armada - Superstylin'
(chart-run: 12-16-28-41-56-75-67R(2))

18. The Supermen Lovers - Starlight (feat. Mani Hoffman)
(chart-run: 2-3-7-12-15-19-24-27-35-42-46-56-62-69-75R(3)-70)

17. Basement Jaxx - Romeo
(chart-run: 6-11-13-17-24-32-35-44-52-60)

16. Riva - Who Do You Love Now? (Stringer) (feat. Dannii Minogue)
(chart-run: 3-5-10-17-20-19-19-24-32-42-46-45-56-67-64)

Kicking off the top 20 is Britney Spears with 'I'm A Slave 4 U'! I was reminded of this exact song just this morning so this is pretty good timing. I was watching some Glee episodes with my brother a few hours ago (we both have the day off work!) and the Season 2 episode Britney/Brittany was one of them. In this episode, Heather Morris' character Brittany has her first solo with 'I'm A Slave 4 U'. It was a memorable launchpad for sure with a daring song, many iconic looks squeezed in and a fantastic opportunity to showcase her dancing talent. This episode was filmed almost 10 years after Britney initially shocked the world with it. In 2001, it was time for Britney's third era 'Britney', my second favourite album of hers after 'In The Zone'. Up to this point, Britney had flashes of the shock factor, such as the school-girl uniform idea for the '...Baby One More Time' video. But generally, she was seen as America's sweetheart who made fun pop music and was idolised by young girls. Well, this was all about to change. 'I'm A Slave 4 U' marked a departure from the 'girl next door' image to a far more provocative look for Britney. At this point she was 19 years old and in her own eyes she was just naturally growing up, but others were not so understanding. She received huge backlash from The Parents Association of America, plus other conservative outlets, due to the controversy of 'I'm A Slave 4 U'. Britney hit back by saying: "I can never win, when I did '...Baby One More Time' they were saying I was too controversial, so you can never win." Despite the initial reaction, the song and its accompanying visuals have gone down well in pop culture history. The song and video are now seen as "groundbreaking" and became influential for other stars - with the likes of Miley Cyrus, Selena Gomez and Lindsay Lohan citing 'Slave' as an influence on their own material. 'I'm A Slave 4 U' is about Britney wanting to forget about everything and just go out and dance. So she's a 'slave' to the rhythm essentially. The song, as well as Britney's other hit 'Boys' from this era, was initially offered to Janet Jackson. She turned them down so it was Britney who made them her own instead. I could definitely imagine Janet singing both! But it does feel weird to imagine a Britney back catalogue without 'Slave' in it. Besides, Janet was doing just fine at that point with her 'All For You' era. Unfortunately for Britney, 'I'm A Slave 4 U' only managed to chart at #27 on the Billboard Hot 100. It at least managed a far more impressive #4 peak here in the U.K. I feel like its impact far outweighs whatever chart position it received in the States. The music video for this single was a brilliant demonstration of her dancing skills. The choreography for the breakdown in particular is iconic! The VMAs performance in 2001 was also a memorable moment in this campaign, as Britney performed with a python around her shoulders. It was controversial for sure and was heavily criticised by animal rights organisations. It is still talked about to this day as a standout VMAs performance. At just 19, Britney was an effortless talking point with her antics. She was a pop star who wasn't afraid to be a little different and have her own visions. We were previously used to bubblegum pop Britney songs with insanely catchy melodies. But the 'Britney' era marked a shift in sound, with 'Slave' for instance relying less on melodies and more on the hypnotic R&B beats. It was Pharrell and Chad Hugo of The Neptunes who worked their magic on this one. 'I'm A Slave 4 U' is a mysterious club banger that feels like a refreshing switch-up for Britney after listening to her first two albums. Every element is entrancing from the slightly off-kilter production to Britney's breathy vocals. She turned this lead single into a real pop culture moment with the associated looks, choreography and live performances. This was such an underrated era for singles - with the likes of 'Boys', 'I'm Not A Girl Not Yet A Woman' and 'Overprotected' taking a back seat in her singles discography these days. 'I'm A Slave 4 U' feels like the most appreciated single from 'Britney' in the long-run but of course was robbed of a better peak originally. This era truly deserves more love, well, minus 'I Love Rock 'n' Roll' kink.gif

I'm feeling a little burned out just from writing so much about Britney but the show must go on! These incoming paragraphs, that will still be a respectable length really, will feel pitiful following that. But hey, there always seems to be a lot of fanfare and information about Britney lead singles. Anyway, let me mentally move on from that one now. Next at #19 is another club-ready hit! 'Superstylin' is Groove Armada's second appearance in my countdown so far. The first time was of course 'At The River' back when I was covering 1999, thanks to its re-release that year. These two songs are worlds apart sonically. 'At The River' was a sample-heavy ambient offering, while 'Superstylin' is all down to the vocal talents of MC M.A.D. and has boundless energy. He is Groove Armada's long-time vocalist and really is the heart of this song. As ever, Groove Armada offer their irresistible house grooves, but he provided a more cross-genre sound for the song, with additional dancehall, reggae and dub layers. Finally, the bassline is executed in a speed garage style which charges the song forward in a dynamic fashion. It feels like a very unifying, upbeat song and this is only amplified through the video. The visuals start with a Groove Armada interview where they talk about rhythm being a language understood by all and this sets the tone for the rest of the video. It's a real celebration of music. There's a bright, summery feel to it which feels perfect for the sound of 'Superstylin' and its initial August release date. We had the likes of 'Lady (Hear Me Tonight)' and 'Groovejet' soundtracking the previous summer and now this is standing out as one of the most essential summer songs of 2001 so far. I'm not entirely sure how I discovered 'Superstylin' but I do recall being instantly hooked thanks to its addictive nature and my love for dance music. It still refuses to get even the slightest bit tiring. Groove Armada aren't really up there with the likes of Basement Jaxx and The Chemical Brothers with output that I consistently adore, but they really do have their moments and this is one of them. 'Superstylin' was their biggest hit to date with its #12 peak. It would take 6 more years for them to achieve a top 10 single or two!

At #18 we have the song with the highest peak in this section! This is 'Starlight' by The Supermen Lovers. He is joined by Mani Hoffman on vocals. 'Starlight' managed to chart as high as #2 back in the day. You may be wondering what blocked it from the top. Well, this was actually Bob The Builder with 'Mambo No.5'. Mess. The Supermen Lovers would unfortunately remain a one-hit-wonder, as this was his only top 40 hit, but the #2 peak is nothing to be sniffed at. This feels well remembered all these years on too. The YouTube comments are filled with people rediscovering this as they get older after remembering the music video back in the day. I can definitely see why this would be the case! It revolves around an animated potato so that already feels like a standout selling point. There's something a little creepy about the animation too. Anyway, this potato feels frustrated when his potato parents seem uninterested in his song-writing talents and instead are distracted by the talent on the TV. But he soon finds a mouse friend who also has a knack for song-writing and the two become a duo. They end up on TV together and are noticed by aliens. Again, casual. These aliens like what they see and decide that they want the potato and mouse to join them on their planet. However, it's a sad ending as only the mouse can fit on the spaceship, so potato's dreams are crushed once more. Ouch! For such an upbeat song this is quite an exhausting video. I suppose it could act as a representation of the highs and lows of fame. That would make sense as the lyrics seem to point towards themes of wanting to be a star. Hoffman delivers a really soulful vocal performance and sells the song with ease. The chorus is stupendously catchy. Plus The Supermen Lovers delivers some incredibly funky French House / nu-disco production that makes it feel all the more uplifting. The potato video was something I have not thought about in a while... I'm perfectly happy to return to this song in isolation again going forward.

Next up at #17 is Basement Jaxx with 'Romeo'! They still have another appearance coming later in 2001 as well. But first, it's time to shine the spotlight on the lead single from their sophomore studio album 'Rooty'. This felt like a smart choice of single to kick off the campaign. 'Romeo' still has Basement Jaxx's house charms to it but feels decidedly less manic than their usual output and adopts more of a commercial dance-pop style. Its catchy sing-a-long chorus would soon be a winner with the public and bagged the duo another top 10 single, as 'Romeo' peaked at #6. It definitely feels like one of their signature songs all of these years later. I still catch it on Radio 1 sometimes during their 'Anthems' show and Kisstory are of course intent on spamming it. 'Romeo' is about a lover who blows hot and cold. One minute, this guy is romantic and doting, but the next he doesn't treat her so well. The female in the equation has had enough and quickly states that "You know I wish you'd make your mind up". R&B singer Kele Le Roc is the lady behind the vocals and provides a sassy performance that vents these frustrations perfectly. The music video, like the song, is also less crazy than what Basement Jaxx usually have to offer. But it's very enjoyable all the same, as it pays tribute to Bollywood films and sees Indian actress Divya Dutta leading a dance troupe. Like the song, the visuals show frustrations - as Dutta can be seen crying over her man at one point. But generally, I feel like the whole package has an over-arching feel-good message, with the empowering "let it all go" lyric and the unifying dancing in the video. It's a must have in the stellar Basement Jaxx singles catalogue. It not only proved popular with the public, but also on BuzzJack, as it finished 5th in my Basement Jaxx - 'The Singles' rate last year.

Rounding off this section is 'Who Do You Love Now? (Stringer)' by Riva featuring Dannii Minogue! I have BuzzJack to thank for my appreciation of this song. Back in 2015, two different sources lead me to this at around the same time. One was through my very own 'One Hit Wonders of the Millennium' thread as Radio 1 chose this as one of their picks. Dannii Minogue is of course not one of those but it was the only charting single for the Riva project. This would pop up again on BuzzJack thanks to the 00s dance BJSC spin-off, which was the first ever spin-off that I entered on the forum. I quickly fell in love with this song and it remains the best that Dannii has ever been involved with. I think 'I Begin To Wonder' was the first of hers that I was introduced to, thanks to SingStar, but this was quite late on as well - really I knew her as a TV personality first, thanks to her X Factor judging stint. It was sister Kylie whose material I was a lot more familiar with. But this song changed everything and swiftly became a Dannii essential. Riva was a project of Dutch DJs Zki & Dobre who also formed the Chocolate Puma project - more about that later as they have a song under that group name that is still to come for 2001! I guess they had different projects for differing musical styles, as the Chocolate Puma song on the way is more house leaning while 'Who Do You Love Now? (Stringer)' is most definitely a trance song. It was originally born under the title 'Stringer' as an instrumental, but then Dannii Minogue jumped on it with her vocals and 'Who Do You Love Now? (Stringer)' was born. The instrumental, in all its trance glory, is very intense. I do think a vocal version was the right way to go, as Dannii's vocals particularly make the chorus soar. The lyrics are quite scathing, particularly: "You're still promising perfection, with empty words". But this scornful take matches the dark edges of the production well. It takes anger and flips it into a dancefloor staple. This section was full of even-number peaks until we got to 'Who Do You Love Now? (Stringer)', that broke the streak with its impressive #3 peak. Dannii would later better this with the aforementioned 'I Begin To Wonder' at #2.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Mack.
post Aug 9 2020, 03:14 PM
Post #342
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915
20-16 all terrific.

I'm A Slave 4 U this a different approach from Britney. 'Romeo' and 'Starlight' all great tunes that I still listen to now and again.

+Quote this post
Jade
post Aug 9 2020, 10:18 PM
Post #343
Group icon
Alone and wounded
QUOTE(Mack. @ Aug 9 2020, 04:14 PM) *
20-16 all terrific.

I'm A Slave 4 U this a different approach from Britney. 'Romeo' and 'Starlight' all great tunes that I still listen to now and again.

Hey there Mack hi.gif heart.gif

Oh wow cheeseblock.png

Yeah, not that I can remember it too well at the time, but retrospectively looking at the history of Britney, it's easy to see that 'Slave' was a huge turning point for her image and sound! Glad that you return to 'Romeo' and 'Starlight' also, the latter actually came on shuffle today for me while on a run *.*

thank you for commenting <3

+Quote this post
danG
post Aug 9 2020, 10:39 PM
Post #344
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
great picks from 2001 so far; Superstylin, Starlight, Gotta Get Thru This, Castles in the Sky, American Dream, Played-A-Live, ResuRection particularly out of the dance. Destiny is a lovely chill track too and Get Ur Freak On would probably be my fave of the other genres.

then from your top 10 of 2000; Porcelain, Toca's Miracle and the whole top five! though Groovejet would have to be my top fave, one of the very best of the decade that.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Aug 10 2020, 07:25 AM
Post #345
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
I've never been a big fan of Slave 4 U, preferred her hooky pop stuff, but the other 4 are good, and Starlight is a classic, Riva fab smile.gif

+Quote this post
Jade
post Aug 10 2020, 10:51 AM
Post #346
Group icon
Alone and wounded
QUOTE(dan-G @ Aug 9 2020, 11:39 PM) *
great picks from 2001 so far; Superstylin, Starlight, Gotta Get Thru This, Castles in the Sky, American Dream, Played-A-Live, ResuRection particularly out of the dance. Destiny is a lovely chill track too and Get Ur Freak On would probably be my fave of the other genres.

then from your top 10 of 2000; Porcelain, Toca's Miracle and the whole top five! though Groovejet would have to be my top fave, one of the very best of the decade that.

Hey there Dan hi.gif heart.gif

Why thank you *.* there's still quite a lot of dance to come as well! Looking forward to counting down 15 - 11 later happy.gif I do recall you being a fan of 'ResuRection' actually, possibly due to plug.dj, I guess that memory particularly stands out as that's one of the more underrated songs here in the long-run. 'Destiny' really is lush, need to double-check if that's on my chill-out playlist, if not then it's going on there immediately! 'Get Ur Freak On' a good non-dance pick, what a banger *.*

Oh wow, lots of highlights just from that top 10! 'Groovejet' is an excellent pick of that bunch, with it coming so close to being my favourite too!

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Aug 10 2020, 08:25 AM) *
I've never been a big fan of Slave 4 U, preferred her hooky pop stuff, but the other 4 are good, and Starlight is a classic, Riva fab smile.gif

Hey there John hi.gif heart.gif

I see! I suppose it was a pretty radical departure so bound to split opinion. I'd say I prefer the leads from both of the previous campaigns too, as they both cracked the top 15 in their respective years, with this one scraping top 20. But yeah, a lot of love for Britney in general in this countdown.

Glad that Supermen Lovers and Riva are highlights for you too!

+Quote this post
Jade
post Aug 10 2020, 10:27 PM
Post #347
Group icon
Alone and wounded

15. iiO - Rapture
(chart-run: 2-5-8-10-19-30-37-36-33-39-48-62)

14. M&S Presents The Girl Next Door - Salsoul Nugget (If U Wanna)
(chart-run: 6-10-18-25-26-36-44-51-61-66-69-73-69)

13. Chocolate Puma - I Wanna Be U
(chart-run: 6-10-13-18-22-31-43-67-68R(3))

12. Planet Funk - Chase The Sun
(chart-run: 5-12-23-34-44-58-63R(2)-68-55)

11. Jean Jacques Smoothie - 2 People
(chart-run: 12-16-23-30-43-66-72)

I feel like I've said "this is a dance heavy section" about a LOT of these groups of five since beginning this countdown last year. However, this one truly takes the biscuit! My penchant for early-noughties dance cannot be denied. Kicking off my top 15 favourite chart hits of 2001 is iiO with 'Rapture'. They're a duo consisting of vocalist Nadia Ali and producer Markus Moser. At just 17, Nadia was introduced to Markus through a colleague while she was working in the New York offices of Versace. He was looking for a female singer to collaborate on some of his productions for a girl group. The two ended up forming their own group which was originally called 'Vaiio', named after the Sony VAIO laptop, but eventually dropped the first two letters to rule out any issues with Sony. iiO were now ready to go. They released 'Rapture' as their debut single and were quickly on to a winner as it charted at #2 in the U.K. and #44 on the Billboard Hot 100. The chart that week had this at #2 and Alicia Keys' 'Fallin' debuting right behind at #3, a hit that cropped up in this countdown earlier. The song that blocked both? 'Because I Got High' by Afroman. I don't hate that song or anything but I would have much rather seen 'Rapture' or 'Fallin' topping the chart! I actually discovered this iiO classic through Nadia Ali's own 2012 reworking of it with Avicii, after that scraped in our chart at #40. I quickly fell in love with that version. Thankfully the original was pretty great too once I got around to that. I didn't realise that Nadia Ali was the singer from iiO for an embarrassingly long time despite the vocals sounding fairly identical in both versions! Now that was dumb of me. I'd say the Avicii reworking is more of an upbeat "hands in the air" moment, while the original has more of a pulsating, hypnotic feel to it. Nadia's smooth vocals were a perfect fit for the lyrics that revolve around a passionate connection with someone. "Sugar, you make my soul complete, your rapture tastes so sweet" is an irresistible hook for me. This is a dance-pop record with flavours of both trance and disco laced in the production. It feels both groovy and sophisticated. The video for the song was unusual for its genre, as Nadia takes centre stage instead of a random model, with Markus also appearing. Definitely an upgrade from the usual cameo roles. It takes place in a futuristic looking city, where a hologram of Nadia is projected in it and Markus is driving around. iiO went on to have another top 20 hit in the U.K. in 2003 with 'At The End', peaking at exactly #20, but that was the end of the charting road. Well, until the Nadia reworking 9 years on!

Next up is a song with quite a distinctive title! But it sadly feels forgotten despite this. Well, thanks to Kisstory, I very much know and love 'Salsoul Nugget (If U Wanna)'. I just Googled the lyrics and it came up with 'Rapture' as a similar song suggestion so clearly I'm just that predictable. Anyway, M&S are a British production duo and they enlisted the help of former model Natasha Bryce on vocals! They thought her voice would add more commercial appeal to their instrumental. The song is called 'Salsoul Nugget (If U Wanna)' because it actually samples two tracks that are associated with Salsoul Records - these are Double Exposure's 'Everyman' and queen of dance samples Loleatta Holloway with 'Hit and Run'. Also, I've just watched the music video for the first time and vocalist/songwriter Katherine Ellis commented on it saying that she co-wrote the song ohmy.gif I know her mostly for being the vocalist on 'When You Touch Me' by Freemasons! So that was a pretty cool piece of information to learn today. The music video is ridiculously early noughties with the fashion choices and garish green screens. It does the job though with the dancing shots matching the euphoric nature of the song at hand. 'Salsoul Nugget (If U Wanna)' is a funky house banger with deliciously bubbly production and warm vocals. Similar to 'Rapture', it's another one about passion and romance. It clearly seems to be a winning dance formula for me in 2001! This was actually created in 2000 but wasn't released until the following year. Multiple critics compared this tune to 'Groovejet (If This Ain't Love)' and I can totally hear that! Both in the production style and through the soft female vocals. Perhaps a slightly more upbeat version. This has not become quite the classic that Spiller had on his hands but it's a fantastic earworm anyway!

Now it's time for a song that I alluded to in the previous section! This is another hit in a row that contains 'wanna' in the title - 'I Wanna Be U' by Chocolate Puma. Its relevance to the previous section was the use of Chocolate Puma as a moniker by the same producers that went by Riva! These DJs in question are DJ Zki & Dobre. They mastered the trance genre under the Riva pseudonym and it was house music that would belong to the Chocolate Puma project. 'I Wanna Be U' is another song that I discovered through Radio 1's 'One Hit Wonders of the Millennium' show back in 2015 and shockingly, it didn't leave that much of an initial impression on me! However, time would prove important, as I soon bought a copy of Now 48 on CD while building up my collection of those and its growing power was immense. I suddenly felt foolish for neglecting it before and soon fell in love. The previous two hits in this section are pretty smooth but now we have a very manic song. The vocals and production suddenly come charging at you and prove to be relentless! Something particularly wild about 'I Wanna Be U' is that the second verse is the same as the first... but with the order of the sentences flipped! They really did that. It is another love song set to dance beats, with the (pretty low budget) video emphasising this, with a boy and girl who bond over losing their inhibitions in some kind of dancing booth. The title 'I Wanna Be U' soon morphs into the lyric "I wanna be with you" which makes a little more sense. This is an absolute stomper that I'm lucky enough to own on vinyl! My main local independent record store has a seriously impressive dance selection, I look forward to going there again at some point. Like the M&S song that I just talked about, 'I Wanna Be U' was another #6 hit! Its legacy expanded past that, as in 2002 - yup just the following year - this was quickly sampled in top 5 hit 'Follow Da Leader' by Nigel And Marvin!

At #12 is a song that would take me years to know the name of! Once again it was Radio 1's 'One Hit Wonders of the Millennium' show that gave me my answer, what a blessing that entire day was. Prior to this revelation, I only knew the instrumental melody of 'Chase The Sun' really. This is because Sky Sports always use it for their coverage of darts here. My dad is a darts fanatic so it's often on in the background. Therefore I picked up on the striking melody time and time again! I was glad to discover the other pieces of the puzzle at last - the vocalist and lyrics. Planet Funk are an Italian music group who meshed the worlds of house music and alternative rock together for 'Chase The Sun'. Those guitar elements really add an emotive layer to the breezy dance beats. The uncredited vocalist is Sally Doherty - she brings the dreamy lyrics to life with her lovely voice. It's funny, the instrumental makes me think of British crowds going wild due to darts, but the whole package with lyrics like "I'm flying away, running like the wind as I chase the sun" paint a far calmer picture in my mind. Definitely a tune to get lost in, especially as the lyrics are incredibly loopy so the same picture never really goes away. 'Chase The Sun' actually samples 'Alla Luce Del Giorno' from the movie 'Metti, una sera a cena' - a tune that was created by none other than Ennio Morricone, who sadly passed away just last month. 'Chase The Sun' reached an impressive #5 in the chart and has certainly gained a legacy as a darts anthem. Planet Funk later had another top 40 hit with 'Who Said (Stuck In The UK)' - lmao - and this got to #36 in 2003. Subsequent release 'The Switch' failed to crack the top 50 both on its initial release and re-release. Well, at least their one big hit was as brilliant as this.

Just missing out on a spot in the top 10 is '2 People' by Jean Jacques Smoothie! The sporting theme continues from the previous song here as the video revolves around two ladies (or "2 People") playing tennis. This is easily the lowest charting hit of this section, as it made #12 compared to the top 10 peaks of the rest, but it comes out on top in terms of quality! You'll never guess where I first heard this song... yes, for the third one in a row, it was Radio 1's 'One Hit Wonders of the Millennium' day! 2001 clearly produced a lot of fabulous one hit wonder songs. '2 People' ensures that this section contains 5/5 dance songs so I really wasn't lying when I said the genre was dominating today! There is actually more dance to come in the top 10 but I can also reveal that some of the remaining songs are not dance. But, right now, it's this loopy house song that I would like to focus on! Jean Jacques Smoothie is actually a British DJ whose real name is Steve Robson. He provides some seriously swirly and delightful production on '2 People'. The vocals are a direct sample from 'Inside My Love' by Minnie Riperton, which adds a really majestic and romantic touch to it. Annoyingly, the original version of this song is no longer on Spotify, just an inferior 2011 reworking sad.gif I wonder if it's sampling issues? As this new version has a credited vocalist instead of Minnie - a lady called Tara Busch. The production is also different, a lot less dreamy and instead quite generic. So... this will have to do in my playlist right now, but I hope one day these issues can be sorted out! This is another one of the small selection of dance singles that I own on vinyl, once again thanks to my main local independent record store, so I can listen to the original that way! Or on YouTube, as they didn't go full 'Toca's Miracle' on it.

Top 10 next week *.*

+Quote this post
Brer
post Aug 10 2020, 10:49 PM
Post #348
Group icon
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
User: 8,300
Reading that post felt like stepping directly into a time portal back to 2015 *_* I think the One Hit Wonders show was the first time I was exposed to all of those songs except 'Rapture' lel ~ (as such I haven't really heard these songs that much but iirc Planet Funk was one of if not my favourite discovery from the show).

'Rapture' is great ofc although I think I do actually like the Nadia Ali/Avicii version more!

+Quote this post
Jade
post Aug 11 2020, 10:13 AM
Post #349
Group icon
Alone and wounded
QUOTE(Bré @ Aug 10 2020, 11:49 PM) *
Reading that post felt like stepping directly into a time portal back to 2015 *_* I think the One Hit Wonders show was the first time I was exposed to all of those songs except 'Rapture' lel ~ (as such I haven't really heard these songs that much but iirc Planet Funk was one of if not my favourite discovery from the show).

'Rapture' is great ofc although I think I do actually like the Nadia Ali/Avicii version more!

Hey there Brer hi.gif heart.gif

Oh my *.* it's amusing that so many One Hit Wonders were bunched up together in my affections. All had similar appeal with their loopy dance sounds! Oh wow, well I look forward to eventually being able to play you more songs from the playlist so you can revisit 'Chase The Sun' and others for the first time in a while.

I think I actually prefer the 2012 version of 'Rapture' too! Perhaps as it's the version I discovered first.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Aug 11 2020, 01:45 PM
Post #350
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
ooh I had to look these ones up! I recall liking iio's rapture, it was hovering around just outside my top 100 of 2001, the Marks & Spencer nuggets was top 150, Chocolate Puma failed to chart and I don't recall it all! Chase The Sun scraped into the top 400 of the year, as did Mr Smoothie oops! biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post Aug 12 2020, 08:20 PM
Post #351
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247
Superstylin' is great from Groove Armada as always, and Romeo is fab as well!

2 People is a real blast from the past though, can't have heard that in about 10 years ohmy.gif Giving a listen now, bringing back the feels!

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post Aug 16 2020, 02:27 PM
Post #352
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 18,293
I just realised I haven't commented at all for 2001 yet so here is my top 5 for what you've announced so far.

1. In The End
2. Romeo
3. Get Ur Freak On
4. It Wasn't Me
5. Salsoul Nugget

In The End is the LP song I find myself going back to most recently. Such a classic and Chester's chorus just feels so haunting.

Romeo & Salsoul Nugget are two I love because of Kisstory. Romeo is easily the best Basement Jaxx song for me.

Get Ur Freak On is one of the best rap hits of the early part of the decade. It's just so utterly creative and endlessly quotable. Plus it inspired a hilarious Fonejacker skit.

It Wasn't Me is another song that was an absolute classic on my childhood. wub.gif

+Quote this post
Mack.
post Aug 16 2020, 05:45 PM
Post #353
Group icon
'Chase The Sun' yes I know this thanks to Sky Sports using in darts. I know there would be an outcry if this was dropped for another song for Sky's break in play or end of the match. It just seems to work. Love the song. Although the song is better than the darts crowds version, tongue.gif. Random fact, ITV use 'Chelsea Dagger' by The Fratellis. I much prefer 'Chase The Sun'.

'Rapture' that is a great tune. '2 People' interesting track this, sounds different. I need to get listening to the other two.

+Quote this post
Jade
post Aug 17 2020, 05:22 PM
Post #354
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Wow thanks for so many comments on that section! Top 10 kicks off tonight cheer.gif

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Aug 11 2020, 02:45 PM) *
ooh I had to look these ones up! I recall liking iio's rapture, it was hovering around just outside my top 100 of 2001, the Marks & Spencer nuggets was top 150, Chocolate Puma failed to chart and I don't recall it all! Chase The Sun scraped into the top 400 of the year, as did Mr Smoothie oops! biggrin.gif

I did think this would be one of the more obscure sections (well, as obscure as you can get in a countdown full of chart hits!) with the likes of M&S and Jean Jacques Smoothie not exactly being household names with enduring hits! Glad you're a fan of 'Rapture' anyway, definitely a 21st century dance classic heart.gif poor brave Chocolate Puma kink.gif well, hopefully you shall enjoy the next section as a song you mentioned earlier is coming up!

QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ Aug 12 2020, 09:20 PM) *
Superstylin' is great from Groove Armada as always, and Romeo is fab as well!

2 People is a real blast from the past though, can't have heard that in about 10 years ohmy.gif Giving a listen now, bringing back the feels!

Hey there Pete hi.gif heart.gif

Yesss gotta love how energetic 'Superstylin' is! I'm always here for Basement Jaxx appreciation too heart.gif

Oh wow, well I'm pleased to have provided a nostalgic experience there *.* I completely avoided it until 2015 - so glad I finally found it heart.gif

QUOTE(LewisGT @ Aug 16 2020, 03:27 PM) *
I just realised I haven't commented at all for 2001 yet so here is my top 5 for what you've announced so far.

1. In The End
2. Romeo
3. Get Ur Freak On
4. It Wasn't Me
5. Salsoul Nugget

In The End is the LP song I find myself going back to most recently. Such a classic and Chester's chorus just feels so haunting.

Romeo & Salsoul Nugget are two I love because of Kisstory. Romeo is easily the best Basement Jaxx song for me.

Get Ur Freak On is one of the best rap hits of the early part of the decade. It's just so utterly creative and endlessly quotable. Plus it inspired a hilarious Fonejacker skit.

It Wasn't Me is another song that was an absolute classic on my childhood. wub.gif

Hey there Lewis hi.gif heart.gif

No worries! Although I am glad to be hearing your thoughts again happy.gif A diverse top 5 there with nu-metal, dance and R&B! Glad that someone else appreciates 'Salsoul Nugget' so much. I definitely have Kisstory to thank for that too *.*

QUOTE(Mack. @ Aug 16 2020, 06:45 PM) *
'Chase The Sun' yes I know this thanks to Sky Sports using in darts. I know there would be an outcry if this was dropped for another song for Sky's break in play or end of the match. It just seems to work. Love the song. Although the song is better than the darts crowds version, tongue.gif. Random fact, ITV use 'Chelsea Dagger' by The Fratellis. I much prefer 'Chase The Sun'.

'Rapture' that is a great tune. '2 People' interesting track this, sounds different. I need to get listening to the other two.

I was wondering if you'd comment on the darts connection, being a sports fanatic *.* I really couldn't imagine them using anything else so here's to keeping it forever! I didn't know about the 'Chelsea Dagger' usage over on ITV, well that is a certified tune too. I'd definitely recommend the Chocolate Puma and M&S songs, both feel-good!

+Quote this post
Jade
post Aug 17 2020, 10:45 PM
Post #355
Group icon
Alone and wounded

10. Sophie Ellis-Bextor - Murder On The Dancefloor
(chart-run: 2-3-4-4-2-7-11-16-16-16-21-25-36-48-60-61->16)

09. Rui Da Silva - Touch Me (feat. Cassandra)
(chart-run: 1-2-2-4-10-15-21-32-36-47-61-56-57-57)

08. Mary J. Blige - Family Affair
(chart-run: 8-10-10-11-12-13-18-18-26-34-39-44-49-47-51-61)

07. Eve - Let Me Blow Ya Mind (feat. Gwen Stefani)
(chart-run: 4-5-7-7-11-15-20-24-30-38-44-60)

06. Basement Jaxx - Where's Your Head At
(chart-run: 9-27-34-33-37-42-53-65)

Tonight we move on to some serious business as it's top 10 time! Sophie Ellis-Bextor is first to drop out of this top tier at #10 with her dance-pop gem 'Murder On The Dancefloor'. We first heard from her as a runner-up in my 2000 countdown due to her credited vocals on Spiller's 'Groovejet (If This Ain't Love)'. Despite missing out on my #1, it was an official chart-topper in a highly-publicised battle with Victoria Beckham. Unfortunately, 'Murder On The Dancefloor' did have to settle for official #2, as Daniel Bedingfield was too strong a force with 'Gotta Get Thru This'. I will accept this rival as this song of course popped up in my 2001 countdown too. Sophie never quite experienced a solo #1. Her post-'Groovejet' career was launched with two #2 hits in a row and then the positions would get lower. However, she would still be scoring top 40 hits in 2014 so that's pretty impressive longevity! I wrongly presumed that 'Murder On The Dancefloor' was her debut solo single for years, just because it seems like a perfect launch-pad, but it actually played second fiddle to 'Take Me Home'. They both did well but 'Murder On The Dancefloor' has emerged victorious as her signature hit. It still seems to be really well remembered and a bit of a 'guilty pleasure' favourite on social media. I have no feelings of guilt towards this though! It's a carefree nu-disco treat that would fit in well amongst the current chart landscape. Her musical direction post-'Groovejet' was spot on. The dance element of that was kept, albeit in more of a funky fashion, plus her soft endearing voice suits the sound so well. 'Murder On The Dancefloor' is a charming earworm with a real cheeky kick to it due to the eye-catching title and themes of the song. We witness Sophie playing the villain in her own video which feels a bit different but totally works for the song! She is dying to win a dance contest - where the prize includes shoes and money - so she does whatever it takes. This includes eliminating other contestants with acts such as spiking drinks and causing a rift between a couple. Her devious plan works as she ends up the champion. So there we go, she does get to win something, even if this sadly didn't get to be a #1 hit. She did it in style too with the striking look of red lipstick, green eyeshadow, an immaculate ponytail and her doll-like complexion. It all tied together really well! This joyful single remains my favourite solo release of hers.

Next up is the only chart-topper of this section! 'Touch Me' by Rui Da Silva featuring Cassandra was originally supposed to be released in 2000. However, its original inclusion of a guitar part inspired by Spandau Ballet's 'Chant No. 1' caused delays. It was eventually removed from the final version of the song, due to difficulties with publishing clearance. This was perhaps a blessing in disguise. The final #1 of 2000 was a certain builder who went by the name Bob. He would of course sail to Christmas #1. So much so, that it was the best selling single of 2000, despite only being on sale for a small fraction of the year. 'Touch Me' was originally pencilled in as a Christmas release that year. Instead, the push back allowed 'Can We Fix It?' to fade away and 'Touch Me' got to be the first new #1 of 2001. Hooray! It was quite monumental as Rui Da Silva became the first Portuguese solo act to top the chart here. Cassandra is British so this excludes her. It was also apparently the first ever progressive house #1 too! This is definitely one of the best songs to come out of that sub-genre for me. The production is bursting with thrilling synths and the soulful vocals manage to keep up. The lyrics are pure romantic ecstasy. The video feels appropriate as well, as house parties are associated with dancing, plus this is a more intimate one, so fits well with the content. 'Touch Me' is such a rush and builds up in the most stunning fashion as we hit the chorus. The synths become more forceful, backing vocals appear and the "you touch my mind in special places, my heart races with youuuuu" lines are the perfect climax. It's hypnotic dance that really makes you FEEL something. I bet this must sound incredible in a club! I shall instead let it give me a warm, fuzzy feeling in the comfort of my own home.

Next is a song that feels very much needed during these times of particular doom and gloom! This is 'Family Affair' by Mary J. Blige. It comes in at #8 in this countdown and also peaked at #8 in the U.K. Singles Chart! Its success Stateside absolutely blew this out of the water though - as it spent 6 weeks at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100. This was Mary's first and only chart-topper there. 'Family Affair' has experienced staying power here though thanks to Heart FM latching on to it! I approve of the inclusion of this in their limited pool of R&B / hip-hop hits. 'Family Affair' is a very memorable package from Mary - from THOSE hairstyles in the video to lyrics including "don't need no hateration, holleration, in this dancerie". A literary genius. But this Mary hit was initially born away from the words. Dr. Dre. worked on the instrumental and sent it to her. She then helped write for this song that was originally known as 'Fragile'. I could not imagine this being called 'Fragile' at all! Then came the vocals. 'Family Affair' is Mary singing to her family, friends and fans. She urges us all to go out and have fun. It's ultimately a celebration of life. These themes translate really well as this song NEVER fails to put me in a great mood! The hip-hop beat effortlessly makes me feel hyped and then Mary's warm vocal invitation does just make me want to release my inhibitions. If it wasn't already feel-good enough, then lyrics such as "doesn't matter if you're white or black" give it even more of a unifying edge. This silky smooth anthem is the best song she has ever released for me. A timeless banger!

Now we move from one Dr. Dre produced track to another! This is going to flow seamlessly on my playlist for this entire countdown. Dre was clearly doing something right in 2001 anyway! Rapper Eve teamed up with singer Gwen Stefani, who was still scoring hits as part of No Doubt at the time, to bring us this attitude-ridden jam. It was a match made in heaven as 'Let Me Blow Ya Mind' managed to peak at #2 in the U.S. and #4 here in the U.K. This was the start of three solo #4 hits in a row for Gwen - as both 'What You Waiting For?' and 'Rich Girl' would peak there too. As the title suggests, Eve and Gwen want to wow us with their actions. They want to do it in a credible fashion though, with lyrics such as "Some of y'all ain't writin' well, too concerned with fashion" suggesting that Eve's music will do the talking, as opposed to others who are letting standards slip. She absolutely owns her verses with so much confidence. Gwen slots into the slick chorus with ease too. They have fun with the video as the two gatecrash a party, cause chaos and are arrested as a result after a snitch tells on them. It's all good though as Dr. Dre comes to the rescue with bail money! 'Let Me Blow Ya Mind' actually won a Grammy Award for 'Best Rap/Sung Collaboration' and also picked up 'Best Female Video' at the VMAs. 19 years later and it's been a really prominent year for female team-ups! We've had Lady Gaga & Ariana Grande, Doja Cat & Nicki Minaj, Megan Thee Stallion & Beyoncé AND Cardi B & Megan Thee Stallion as Billboard Hot 100 #1 duos. 'Let Me Blow Ya Mind' sadly fell short of that chart topping accolade, as aforementioned, but it has certainly stood the test of time. It still sounds fresh to these ears in 2020! May it never leave Kisstory's playlist.

Now we round off this section with some gritty dance music! Not only did 'Where's Your Head At' finish at #6 in my Basement Jaxx: The Singles rate, it follows suit here. However, it did beat 'Romeo' for me, while it was the other way round for the people of BuzzJack. 'Where's Your Head At' feels so much bigger than its #9 peak suggests! It has certainly gone down as a Basement Jaxx signature song over the years, as well as 'Romeo'. The 'Rooty' album really did produce some classics! I still find it hard to believe that 'Where's Your Head At' was as late in the campaign as the third single. Surely it should have at least been the second single over 'Jus 1 Kiss'! Well, it was at least higher in the pecking order than the final two singles that were commissioned from the record. 'Where's Your Head At' is a seriously attention-grabbing house song. The vocals are very LOUD and repetitive, so it's easy to get lodged in your brain. The bold approach is rather appealing to me though! I find this Basement Jaxx single to be pretty electrifying. It's driven by samples of the Gary Numan songs 'M.E' and 'This Wreckage' for that old school flavour. The frantic execution of the song is appropriate as it's all about losing control and states of anxiousness. Everything gets even more crazy when the video is brought into the equation. Monkeys with human faces are brought in to play music as an experiment. However, the actual far more sinister experiment at play here is musicians' brains being transferred to monkeys. Yeah, time to get nightmares now. But at least the song is a certified full-throttle stomper.

2001 concludes next week ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Mack.
post Aug 24 2020, 06:44 PM
Post #356
Group icon
'Murder On The Dancefloor' fantastic song that Sophie Ellis-Bextor did, shame that it didn't get to #1. Would still listen to it today.

'Touch Me' a great tune. 'Family Affair' and 'Let Me Blow Ya Mind ' both R&B classics. 'Family Affair ' brilliant from Mary J Blige' what a tune it is. 'Let Me Blow Ya Mind ' fantastic collaboration with Eve/Gwen Stefani which accompanied a great.music video and a great tune. This featuring on my Hip Hop Songs of the 00s.

'Where's Ya Head At' I oddly remember this from a CBBC trailer:

https://vimeo.com/30674681

Favourite music video of that year from Basement Jaxx. Another great tune from them and one I been listening to recently.

+Quote this post
Jade
post Aug 24 2020, 09:22 PM
Post #357
Group icon
Alone and wounded
I usually do a new section every Monday but I've been busy tonight and it's the same tomorrow so the top 5 will be arriving on Wednesday *.*

QUOTE(Mack. @ Aug 24 2020, 07:44 PM) *
'Murder On The Dancefloor' fantastic song that Sophie Ellis-Bextor did, shame that it didn't get to #1. Would still listen to it today.

'Touch Me' a great tune. 'Family Affair' and 'Let Me Blow Ya Mind ' both R&B classics. 'Family Affair ' brilliant from Mary J Blige' what a tune it is. 'Let Me Blow Ya Mind ' fantastic collaboration with Eve/Gwen Stefani which accompanied a great.music video and a great tune. This featuring on my Hip Hop Songs of the 00s.

'Where's Ya Head At' I oddly remember this from a CBBC trailer:

https://vimeo.com/30674681

Favourite music video of that year from Basement Jaxx. Another great tune from them and one I been listening to recently.

Indeed it's such a shame that 'Murder On The Dancefloor' missed out on the top spot! Especially as it had two shots at #2, an interesting top 10 run there: 2-3-4-4-2-7. Well, at least it really seems to be standing the test of time heart.gif glad you're enjoying all of these songs so much, especially 'Let Me Blow Ya Mind' making your own countdown *.*

OMG that trailer was a totally repressed memory ohmy.gif but about 5 seconds in I quickly recognised it! Wow haha. The impact of Girls Aloud in it too *.* Basement Jaxx can always be relied on for quirky music videos <3 still more to come from them in future years happy.gif

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Aug 25 2020, 01:33 PM
Post #358
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
2 number ones for me in this batch, Murder On The Dancefloor was a club smash when I was actually in clubs every weekend, and Mary J's fab Dr Dre track. The Eve/Gwen track almost topped my chart and is fab, Touch Me is great, and I didn;t mind Basement Jaxx, though the hook could have done with being less in ya face (well, my face anyway) biggrin.gif

Great start to the top 10, are there any more faves for me left, I wonder.... smile.gif

+Quote this post
Jade
post Aug 27 2020, 12:36 PM
Post #359
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Sorry that I didn't get around to this last night - wanted to follow the LoveChart results and join in with the listening party in the Girls Aloud forum.

Definitely working on it tonight happy.gif

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Aug 25 2020, 02:33 PM) *
2 number ones for me in this batch, Murder On The Dancefloor was a club smash when I was actually in clubs every weekend, and Mary J's fab Dr Dre track. The Eve/Gwen track almost topped my chart and is fab, Touch Me is great, and I didn;t mind Basement Jaxx, though the hook could have done with being less in ya face (well, my face anyway) biggrin.gif

Great start to the top 10, are there any more faves for me left, I wonder.... smile.gif

Yesssss I remembered you mentioning 'Murder On The Dancefloor' as a favourite earlier on heart.gif forgot that it was the case for 'Family Affair' too! Ooh, what beat 'Let Me Blow Ya Mind' to #1 for you? Haha, in your face is pretty much spot on for 'Where's Your Head At' kink.gif I didn't realise how polarising it was until it underperformed a bit during my Basement Jaxx - 'The Singles' rate last year! Can understand why it may not be some people's cup of tea - definitely their most abrasive single that immediately springs to mind. As for the top 5... I definitely remember you mentioning at least one of them earlier *.*

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Aug 27 2020, 03:36 PM
Post #360
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Jade @ Aug 27 2020, 01:36 PM) *

Yesssss I remembered you mentioning 'Murder On The Dancefloor' as a favourite earlier on heart.gif forgot that it was the case for 'Family Affair' too! Ooh, what beat 'Let Me Blow Ya Mind' to #1 for you? Haha, in your face is pretty much spot on for 'Where's Your Head At' kink.gif I didn't realise how polarising it was until it underperformed a bit during my Basement Jaxx - 'The Singles' rate last year! Can understand why it may not be some people's cup of tea - definitely their most abrasive single that immediately springs to mind. As for the top 5... I definitely remember you mentioning at least one of them earlier *.*

Hi Jade,

I had to dig out the charts to check and it peaked lower than I remembered, though my topper that week was Crystal by New Order biggrin.gif I might just post my whole top 100 "sellers" of the time from my charts in one single chart when your rundown is done so you can see how many you've heard of (about half probably!) laugh.gif

+Quote this post

29 Pages V  « < 16 17 18 19 20 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 07:33 AM