BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Tangerines / Mandariinid, The Estonian entry for the "Best Foreign Language Film" 2015
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Insomnio
post Sep 26 2015, 08:38 AM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 10,742
"Tangerines" is an Estonian-Georgian film that was released in my country four months ago. I waited to see this movie for a long time because it was proposed by the Committee of the Golden Globes and the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences for "Best Foreign Language Film". Having seen all the nominated films in this category, I think the "Tangerines" was wronged. Under no circumstances should the overrated "Ida" have won but unfortunately, in this specific category, the weakest films were chosen in recent years. For example, see "La Grande Bellezza" and judge for yourself.
"Tangerines" takes place during the War of Abkhazia in 1992. The main character of the film is the old Estonian Ivo, who cherishes in his home two wounded soldiers from opposing sides. One of them is Chechen and the other one is Georgian. Their unexpected cohabitation will not be the best solution since they always find an opportunity to argue strongly. However, the courageous and calm Ivo will be the one who will appease their spirits each time. Georgian Zaza Urushadze not only wrote the "Tangerines" scipt but he cared to undertake the directing and assisting in the production together with Ivo Felt. Although the script was written in two weeks, it is in no way a rough copy. Instead, it has well-written dialogues, an interesting story and it spreads its own antiwar messages to the viewers through the war in Abkhazia. The interpretations of the actors were very good, distinguishing this of the leading protagonist Lembit Ulfsak, who was excellent in his role! Furthermore, I found the directing quite good and the soundtrack was nice. There was high tension and suspense throughout the duration of the film. From the beginning till the end, you cannot be absolutely certain about the ending and this was a reason to like it even more!
"Tangerines" is undoubtedly one of the best cinematic stories of last year! It's a very human film that will excite but also puzzle the audience. It was the first time an Estonian film was nominated for the Golden Statuette, causing feelings of pride to Estonians! It has received very good reviews worldwide and it is no coincidence that it has garnered a very high average score in IMDb (8,4). I highly recommended it!!! Don’t miss it!

Emotional piece of music..

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:34 AM