BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
18 Pages V  « < 14 15 16 17 18 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Anime, Fall 2023: AoT finale i guess
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
J00prstar
post 30th March 2020, 04:52 PM
Post #301
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

QUOTE(I. :II: z @ Mar 27 2020, 06:01 AM) *
I've saved that and will try to give it a go at some point.

This great updated recommendations guide (marketed for those with a lot of free time due to quarantine) just showed up on reddit, it's a bit large so just the link: https://i.redd.it/39yc055xk1p41.png

Sections for all, including anime newbies, upbeat, chill and family - and that family section of the guide is good for anyone, I recently started Cardcaptor Sakura because... why not with this time, it's good.

Winter 2020 is coming to an end, I think Eizouken finished fairly strongly in particular. I'm also getting very very excited for Kaguya season 2, new promo image, it's going to be glorious.

Cheers Iz, great list!

I'm just catching up on PsychoPass now in prep for S3

This post has been edited by J00ps: 30th March 2020, 04:53 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 6th April 2020, 08:21 PM
Post #302
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455

Decided to make a start on JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Nearly burst out laughing when I one of the characters introduced himself as REO Speedwagon

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 7th April 2020, 06:05 AM
Post #303
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Apr 6 2020, 08:21 PM) *
Decided to make a start on JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Nearly burst out laughing when I one of the characters introduced himself as REO Speedwagon

Yes!!

It only gets worse (or better, definitely better) on that front from there.

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post 12th April 2020, 12:10 AM
Post #304
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,030

Been on a bit of an anime binge recently.

7 SEEDS! - Interesting story, although feels a bit all over the place at times. It's about groups of people who get cryopreserved to repopulate the earth in the future. There's some dark twists and turns and overall I quite enjoyed it.

Black Butler: Book of Circus - I've been meaning to get into the Black Butler series and heard this was the best of their series. It's about a boy who makes a deal with a demon to save his life and kill those who did him wrong. It was certainly very enjoyable, although felt quite short (it was only 10 episodes).

Carole & Tuesday - Finally binged watch this. It's so wholesome! The music was better than I was expected and the overall storyline was solid.

Howl's Moving Castle - It's been on my list for a long time but finally watched it. Such a great film - studio ghibli don't disappoint!

Chiyahafuru season 3 - Finished watching it - yet another great season for the series. I cannot wait for a future 4th season. *_*

Jie Yao - A short chinese series about two polar opposite people, a gangsta type and a rich kid type. The story is quite simple, although it touches on some nice topics - one of which I wasn't expecting. It's borderline boys love, although there isn't any kissing/sex. It's on youtube fully subbed if anyone's interested. I really enjoyed it for what it was. I hope the novel it's based off gets translated one day so I can read the rest of the story.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 18th April 2020, 02:11 PM
Post #305
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens

Finished the 1st series of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (covering the first 2 generations), and am about 8 episodes into the 2nd season. Have enjoyed it so far, and I agree it has got better the more it gets into it, whilst also upping the campness by 100. It has more violence than I'm used to, even for anime, but it's so ridiculously over-the-top that you can let it slide - although the 1st season did have one of the most shocking scenes I've seen, where Dio promises that he will spare a woman's baby if she lets him turn her into a vampire, only for the woman to disembowel the baby herself once she's transformed. Also love the use of Western music in the end credits (I never skip the end credits of season 2 as the use of "Walk Like An Egyptian" is so perfect with the ending sequence), and the use of music-related names has only increased (although it seems that there's a few that have had their names changed in the subtitles for presumably legal reasons - J Geils becoming Centrefold for example).

And whilst I'm not normally one for worrying about "problematic" elements in anime, there were a few moments that didn't suit well with me. The main one is having a soldier of the Nazi party in the late 30s being an ally to the protagonist. Even if he is supposed to have somewhat reformed during the series, finding out in the epilogue that he continued to serve Weimer during WW2 just didn't sit well with me. I also don't think evoking the Lockerbie Disaster a few episodes later, claiming it was the result of a Stand user, was a good writing choice either, particularly when it could've been removed from the script without ruining the plot.

But apart from those quibbles, still enjoying it. Think there's still at least 100 episodes for me to get through.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 18th April 2020, 02:54 PM
Post #306
Group icon

What is interesting with the music references legality stuff is that you can still hear exactly what their names are meant to be in most cases from the audio track, so it's just the subtitles being done by a Western company that has the copyright troubles. But in all other respects the music stuff only elevates the series, I also couldn't skip 'Walk Like An Egyptian', nor any of the subsequent offerings for endings (particularly part 4's and the second one for part 5).

I think those problematic elements you mention are early part anomalies and don't have counterparts in later parts my pick for early problematic element was that the first female member of the main Joestar line was 'too weak to control her Stand' so all of part 3's plot is dedicated to saving her, but Araki learns to write female characters later on so penance done. Though that's not on the same level as Nazis, which helped make my go through the end of part 2 a bit slow, and I didn't pick up that Lockerbie was referenced with that Stand on the airplane, though again, really early days for Stands, they get so much better and more creative the further through the story you go..

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 2nd May 2020, 11:34 AM
Post #307
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens

Just finished the "Stardust Crusaders" series, and that series in itself has earned the very rare 10 out of 10 for me. There were a few things that I wasn't too keen on, such as a few characters whose presence didn't add anything to the plot (I didn't see the point of Anne in terms of the plot, thought she would end up being important to the plot in some way, but this didn't happen. Also with Iggy, the character seemed to be a bad attempt to add comic relief, and even with his redemptive arc near the end, its presence didn't really work with me). Jotaro was also my least favourite of the JoJos to date, although given that he was paired off with my favourite, Joseph, it didn't dampen my enjoyment. I also surprised by how much I enjoyed the comic episodes, like Oingo & Boingo's escapades, and the episode where Polnareff regresses to a child. And it seemed like a fitting end to the original trilogy, with the Joestar's battles against Dio finally coming to a close.

I've started on "Diamond Is Unbreakable", which I don't think I'm going to enjoy as much. It left a sour taste in the 1st episode, when it's revealed that Josuke, the JoJo of this generation, is the illegitimate child of Joseph Joestar. I can understand the narrative reason why - it takes place 10 years after the last series, so it was the only way they could have someone from the Joestar bloodline in their late teens in that year as Jotaro would be too young to have a son that age & the last series made it clear that Jotaro is an only child. But I just don't believe that from what we've known about the character since he's featured that Joseph could betray Holly like that. I'm sure there'll be some explanation as the show progresses, but for the moment it sits as quite uncomfortably in the back of my mind.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 2nd May 2020, 02:19 PM
Post #308
Group icon

Mostly agree with your assessment of Stardust Crusaders, I loved Iggy's one arc and wish he'd gotten to 'have a voice' a little bit more as otherwise he was just a little unsubstantial a presence, but yes, plenty of great episodes.

Diamond Is Unbreakable is my favourite part so I hope it picks up for you. It has a much more homely and light-hearted feel to it compared to everything else, though it's not without its serious and dark moments, and the writing really gets good once the town of Morioh is more established as a setting I don't think the illegitimacy is a particularly strong plot point, and neither do most fans, but in most respects it's a really minor part of the story, though I think it is addressed again at some point later, there's not quite the same level of family focus that the other parts had.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 2nd May 2020, 08:08 PM
Post #309
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens

Interestingly, this current anime season marks 10 years since I started watching anime on a week-by-week basis as it came out in Japan. I'd watched anime before that, but usually it was an entire series at a time - it was this point that it ended up becoming a habit where I would watch it as soon as it was subbed. Looking back, the series that I watched that season in 2010 were Giant Killing (a football series about a Japanese manager who returns from successfully leading a non-league club to the FA Cup 5th round to manage a struggling Japanese Premier League team), Kaichou Maid-Sama (a shojo series about an uptight student body president who tries to hide her secret job working in a maid cafe), and Working!!!, a slice-of-life comedy that I've continued to enjoy as well as its two subsequent series & spin-offs, even if its main character comes off a lot more creepy the more I think about him. A few other series from that cour I ended up watching later on - I watched the off-beat comedy Arakawa Under The Bridge at the end of the year alongside its summer season once its 2nd half was released, and earlier this year I finally got around to watching Angel Beats, whose original concept put me off when I first heard of it, but watching it now it wasn't too bad.

As for spring 2020, I'm watching the 2nd season of the revived Fruits Basket, alongside the 2nd season of Kaguya-sama (Chika is still best girl. Sorry, Iz). And one newbie:

Wave, Listen To Me! - this one appealed to me, mainly because it revolves around characters closer to my age than the usual anime, and because it's set around a radio station. It's about an aimless woman in her late 20s, who after getting drunk in a night out, finds out that her drunken ramblings have been broadcast on a local radio station, which leads to an offer of her own show when it becomes inexplicably popular. It's tonally similar to "Recovery of an MMO Junkie" in terms of its protagonist whose trying to find purpose in life at that point in her life, although the protagonist in this one is more of a realist and a cynic than MMO.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 3rd May 2020, 01:30 PM
Post #310
Group icon

Wow that is a long time, I believe summer this year will mark 5 years for me doing the same (where I believe School Live! was the first show I started watching week-to-week, though it also began a tradition of me bingeing a show at the end of seasons, which I did for summer 2015 with Charlotte (which still is represented on my little-seen Buzzjack profile picture that I'm never changing)).

That is if there's anything left for summer.

I am watching Kaguya as well of course, and Kaguya just gets cuter and cuter each episode and it's making me retweet every bit of Kaguya art I see, quite apart from every episode so far having me engrossed by the way it finds new ways to reach ridiculous over-dramatic heights.

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ May 2 2020, 08:08 PM) *
As for spring 2020, I'm watching the 2nd season of the revived Fruits Basket, alongside the 2nd season of Kaguya-sama (Chika is still best girl. Sorry, Iz).

What with so many things being cancelled or delayed I'm not currently watching anything else that's airing (mostly using the time to complete lots of my plan to watch list) but I'm eying up one to start once there's a few more episodes out as I've heard its production is complete and some decent things about it, Sing "Yesterday" For Me, which is being done by Doga Kobo, and seems like a bit more of a serious more adult romance take from a studio more often known for its cute moe leanings.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 21st May 2020, 07:10 PM
Post #311
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens

Finished watching the final "to-date" series of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. I enjoyed "Diamond Is Unbreakable" even though it wasn't as good as "Stardust Crusaders". It had a pretty creepy main villain, and once I got used to the change of pace, I quite enjoyed it.

"Golden Wind" on the other hand was a bit of a let-down. How there could be a JoJo in this time period was even more convoluted than in "Stardust Crusaders" - conceived by Dio whilst he inhabited a Joestar's body in the 80s? Really that's the best they could come up with? And they just referenced it once and left it hang, as if it didn't have any bearing on the plot. I also didn't like that it barely had any links to the other series and other JoJos, bar brief appearances from Jotaro & Koichi in the first few episodes, and the ending felt rather rushed. It was okay, but disappointing compared to what came before it.

In terms of ranking, "Stardust Crusaders" is my favourite, followed by "Diamond Is Unbreakable", "Battle Tendency", "Phantom Blood", then "Golden Wind". Will be interesting to see if/when "Stone Ocean" gets an anime made of it. Given the timing differences between the other series, the middle of 2021 is likely.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 29th June 2020, 10:11 AM
Post #312
Group icon

^I'd put Golden Wind on a par with Stardust Crusaders actually, I loved the Italian theme and Trish, Bruno and Narancia in particular were great characters, though King Crimson was a bit too much of a mindf***.

Kaguya-sama season 2 has finished, it was glorious, and I think it's actually the first time I've handed out two different TV seasons of the same anime a 10/10 (most of my other favourites are a 10 and a 9). Beautiful, glorious, heartwarming and funny show. Needs to have a season 3 and given how well it carried the spring season, I'm at least hopeful.

Also I have started Sing Yesterday For Me, it's a very good slower and well-animated romance story, an unusual take from 'normally the cute girl studio' Doga Kobo. Heard it's had an ending with mixed reactions but I haven't got there yet, the ride there is very relaxing. Complements my recent falling in love with Aria, otherwise known as the classic anime where girls just paddle about in gondolas on a Martian Venice with cats all day quite well.

For summer, the other two big ones I wanted to see in Spring but got delayed, Re:Zero season 2 and Oregairu season 3 are the ones I'm planning on picking up. Some of the descriptions for other airing shows look bad even for anime, I feel like the limited production in the industry has left only the ecchi studios operating at full speed.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 30th September 2020, 07:00 AM
Post #313
Group icon

Fall season starts tomorrow with my main headline being Higurashi - When They Cry*! Remake of the fantastic, thrilling and mystery-laden visual novel that I'm posting about to anyone who'll listen and many who don't want to.

If I pick up a second seasonal at the moment I think it'll be Tonikaku Kawaii (sounds like a decent romance anime), but I want to hear how it goes. And I've got Rent-A-Girlfriend from summer that sounds like an interesting show - the precis being a guy hires someone to be his girlfriend but they end up being tied together in... misunderstandings and well, I love my misunderstandings.

Summer was a bit of a write-off season, still need to catch up with Re:Zero (which is doing things rather well) and Oregairu S3 (which has yet to start really doing things at the point I'm at).

Been focusing on, since I last posted in this thread, most notably, finishing We Never Learn (misunderstandings the anime part 2, though it had a good message about following your heart when choosing what to study) from last year, finishing the lovely SoL Aria, continuing the incredibly funny and quite powerful Gintama, and the trope codifying Azumanga Daioh, which is from 2001 and is quite literally the original cute girl anime - and incredibly good because of it even if it is just telling the story of the rather ordinary lives of girls in high schools, there are some really good characters in there (Osaka and Sakaki especially).

reading that all back and oh my god all I watch is comedy anime + occasional romance now lmao - this is because it's the hardest to get wrong

*translator's note: Higurashi means cicadas

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post 30th September 2020, 06:35 PM
Post #314
Group icon
A dead mouse (from my cat)
User: 67,771

Just watched the trailer for Higurashi, looks brilliant!

I'm making an effort to get back into anime this season laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 30th September 2020, 07:56 PM
Post #315
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens

I've been watching quite a bit of anime over the past few months, including Dorohedoro , about a man with a lizard head who's on a mission to find the sorcerer who cursed him, the 3rd season of Aggretsuko (just as good as the first 2, with one episode going darker than I ever expected), and the end of the 2nd season of Fruits Basket (there's going to be 1 more season to tie all the loose ends up).

Also been going back over some classic series. Finally got around to watching K-On!, which is a great music-based slice-of-life, Yuki Yuna Is a Hero, a magical girl series that it's better to go into knowing as little about it as possible, and Gurren Lagan, which was Studio Trigger before Studio Trigger existed.

For a good double bill of anime to alternate between, check out BNA: Brand New Animal & BEASTARS. The former is from Studio Trigger, set in a world where a half-human half animal species called Beastmen live alongside humans in their own city. A tanuki Beastman moves to the city after previously being a human to understand what caused her change. It's more Little Witch Academia than Kill La Kill, and it's great as look as you don't try to read too much in to it. BEASTARS is also set in a world of humanoid animals, with a slightly more mature edge, where the main character is a wolf who begins to fall in love with a rabbit, despite his bestial urges trying to compel him to kill her.

Also enjoyed the first half of The Great Pretender, a series about con artists who only target the worst of the worst (extra points for its closing song being the Freddie Mercury song of the same name), and I did enjoy Rent-A-Girlfriend - not a classic, but enjoyable enough. The best of last season by a mile has to be Deca-Dense. I won't tell you anything about it apart from the fact it has a steam-punk setting, but once you're a few episodes in you'll understand why.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 2nd October 2020, 12:27 AM
Post #316
Group icon

Higurashi's first episode didn't disappoint so I'm happy, great to see all my favourites with new and updated animation - and they used the old OP song from Eiko Shimamiya as well *.*

I've seen Beastars relatively recently, that's been getting a fair bit of traction, very decent allegorical stuff with an interesting world. I've been sort of tempted to watch BNA for a while now but it keeps being put off, maybe once I decide I need another humanoid animal anime.

also yess that you managed to watch K-On!, that's just a perfect classic slice of life show, so strong.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 5th October 2020, 07:46 AM
Post #317
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens

So it looks like this season's anime that you need to watch knowing as little as possible before starting is Talentless Nana.

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post 5th October 2020, 07:38 PM
Post #318
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,030

I haven't watched any anime since Dorohedoro at the end of May. I definitely need to get into the second season of Re:Zero. I really enjoyed the first one. Also interested in Tower of God. I also completely forgot how long my to watch list was - 262 series. I might start trying to whittle that down a bit. Although it never seems to get smaller. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Envoirment: 5th October 2020, 07:38 PM

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 8th October 2020, 11:20 PM
Post #319
Group icon

Add Higurashi to that list of anime you shouldn't know much about, they've done a bait-and-switch. Still think it's okay for new people to join in (you'd just get a different experience of the mystery) but it looks like they're doing something halfway between a reboot and a sequel.

ryukishi07 and studio passione have just turned this from an appreciation rewatch into another wild ride

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 8th October 2020, 11:56 PM
Post #320
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

Was anyone else watching the Digimon reboot? I've been dipping in and out

+Quote this post