BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Liam's EOY 2018, Top 40 albums, top 200 singles
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Liаm
post 1st February 2019, 09:59 PM
Post #81
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ Jan 29 2019, 10:11 PM) *
Thoughts & Prayers was a very deserving BJSC winner, a subject which definitely needs to be addressed. Nothing Breaks Like a Heart is wonderful as well, one of my favourite songs in the Top 40 right now!

As I said ,truly a way to my heart laugh.gif
Yesss it's such a fresh sound <3
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 1st February 2019, 10:00 PM
Post #82
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

Anything I heard from Halsey's second attempt felt like a pretty poor attempt to get an easy chart hit. Without Me feels less blatant an attempt, yet somehow works so much better. Her best track to date wub.gif

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 1st February 2019, 10:42 PM
Post #83
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

QUOTE(JosephAvery @ Feb 1 2019, 10:00 PM) *
Anything I heard from Halsey's second attempt felt like a pretty poor attempt to get an easy chart hit. Without Me feels less blatant an attempt, yet somehow works so much better. Her best track to date wub.gif

I think Bad At Love is still her absolute best but this is getting there wub.gif

+Quote this post
Jade
post 1st February 2019, 10:44 PM
Post #84
Group icon
I wanna keep all of your charm in a canister
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

So pleased to see 'This Is America' placing in your top 30 wub.gif I'm pretty sure it's my absolute favourite song of last year! What an incredible song AND video package indeed. Touches like the gun shots and the Jim Crow pose were very effective uses of shock value.

It was so cool to witness it charting at #1 in the U.S. and top 10 here too, slay us Gambino <3

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 1st February 2019, 11:21 PM
Post #85
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

20 Keala Settle - This Is Me

A megahit from the biggest film of the year, this hasn't left the chart all year and made a huge impact on me too. The most powerful musical moment of the film, this is an empowering track about embracing who you are and not apologising for it no matter what impact that have on your life or those around you. It might be overplayed, but there was something lovely about a 40+ woman with a bit of extra weight having a chart smash with a song about loving yourself, and what a song it is.

19 George Ezra - Shotgun

From one big hit to another, George had one of the biggest smashes of last year with this balmy, summery anthem. This is just so easy going, one of those songs that just kind of relaxes you and makes you feel like you're off somewhere sunny and nice without a care in the world. It's so easy to see why it was so huge, it was so perfect in the hot weather we had over summer, and it's just nice even know when you want to kick back and relax and float away for a few minutes and feel like everything's ok.

18 Annalisa - Il mondo prima di te

THE biggest robbery of the Eurovision national final season (been a while since I had to use that word laugh.gif), it may only be me and my random Italian pop obsession who thinks that but this is an exemplary ballad that builds and builds. The story of a love that shatters everything and challenges one's view of the world bursts through every note, of course the Italian language sells it even more. I grew to love Non mi avete fatto niente and this would have probs flopped but ffs I just love it so much.

17 Eleni Foureira - Fuego

The gays' winner of Eurovision 2018, nobody who likes pop music, music, Eurovision or anything at all could deny what a great pop song this is. From the second I heard it, it had so much potential, it's an impeccably written pop song that hit all the right notes not just as a Eurovision song but as a contemporary pop song, so it's no wonder it was the biggest hit post contest. It totally came alive on the stage too, going from a fan fave to the favourite to snatch the whole thing, no thanks to epic staging and the electric stage presence of the superstar in waiting Eleni. I still have 2 Eurovision songs to come so it's not quite my winner, but it would have been most other years tbh.

16 Ariana Grande - Breathin'

The banger of Sweetener, this satiated many gays' need for a bit more when Sweetener didn't quite give us an Into You. It's subtle but huge, intimate but universal, a bloody good pop song that Ari really excels at. We didn't necessarily know we needed a mental health, self care bop from Ari but we got it and it slayed us *.* It's one of those songs you know comes right from Ari's heart, from the experences she had with Manchester and what a terrible year it was, but you also feel like you can pin down a moment in your life where you felt the same and relate to exactly what she means.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 1st February 2019, 11:21 PM
Post #86
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

QUOTE(Jade @ Feb 1 2019, 10:44 PM) *
So pleased to see 'This Is America' placing in your top 30 wub.gif I'm pretty sure it's my absolute favourite song of last year! What an incredible song AND video package indeed. Touches like the gun shots and the Jim Crow pose were very effective uses of shock value.

It was so cool to witness it charting at #1 in the U.S. and top 10 here too, slay us Gambino <3

The video did really sell it wub.gif

+Quote this post
Jade
post 1st February 2019, 11:26 PM
Post #87
Group icon

'Breathin' was such a grower for me! Not quite up there with 'no tears left to cry' and 'God Is A Woman' but then again what is tbh. I also feel like the video is underrated, those other two obviously had spectacular videos but this one had a more subtle charm to it for sure, really channelling the anxiety theme well. I guess it was kinda just chucked out there while the next era was slowly unravelling so it makes sense that it was brushed over a bit, but I do have a soft spot.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 2nd February 2019, 11:31 AM
Post #88
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

15 MNEK ft. Hailee Steinfeld – Colour

Hailee always brings the goods, and this is no different! MNEK was already a talent to watch but this was a step up from anything we'd heard before, a chart ready summery bop that's imbued with that honeymoon period feeling of falling in love and realising how much that person brings to your life, making you see everything in a brighter light. Hailee's got one of those voices that makes you feel joyous, it's so sunny and perfect and joyous, and for that reason she was a perfect feature for this track, which was really really robbed of being a hit sad.gif

14 Ariana Grande - God Is A Woman

The follow-up to the shimmeringly soaring No Tears Left To Cry, this was a bit more brazen and sultry, with sexually and spirtually lyrics over a thumping trap beat that all makes for a song that dares to be exactly what it is and doesn't apologies. The production really makes this one, it thumps along with the confidence you can feel in every note she sings, and the way it culminates in the choral layering of Ari's vocals is just stunning and the icing on the cake wub.gif

13 Kacey Musgraves - High Horse

I've always adored Kacey but it was certainly a surprise that she came out with a glitzy disco bop *.* A big part of the reason why the gays rightfully stan Golden Hour so much, this is basically Dolly Parton under a disco ball at the best gay bar in town and I live for it. It might seem odd for a country act to fit so well with this sound, but she never once compromises what makes her special in giving us a bit of a different sound, and that's what makes it work so well. With the thinly veiled lyrics that seem to fit a little too well to Trump, it's a song that came at the right time that can mean what you want it to, or nothing at all, much like a lot of Golden Hour.

12 George Ezra - Paradise

Idk if I'm alone in preferring this to Shotgun (as you can see I love that too as it was #19 here) but the UK public make me feel so, although this did get to #2 and go Platinum so it was hardly robbed and unappreciated. This is just so vibrant and joyous, about being so in love and happy you're just in your own little world and don't need anybody else to define it or set the parameters, and the song makes you feel as if you're in that place of joy <3

11 Aja - Brujeria

Just missing the top 10 is a gender neutral rap and drag star who pushed to redefine drag through the way they performs their music and presents herself. Right from her C.L.A.T. verse, I knew this kween was going to slay when music inevitably come to fruition and this proved my theory *.*The banging production from Mitch Ferrino compliments a fierce flow, pop culture references and a sense of confidence we came to expect from Aja on their two seasons of Drag Race and activities since the show *.*

------

That leaves the following songs in the top 10, ranging from a Eurovision winner punctuated by chicken noises to a heart-on-sleeve Italian ballad about the phobia of happiness to a perfect pop banger that broke out another Albanian pop starlet to a devastatingly raw rock epic about self harm!

Ariana Grande - No Tears Left To Cry
Ava Max - Sweet But Psycho
Badflower - Ghost
Jessica Mauboy - We Got Love
Kacey Musgraves - Slow Burn
Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper - Shallow
Martina Atilli - Cherofobia
Netta - Toy
Panic! At The Disco - High Hopes

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 2nd February 2019, 11:32 AM
Post #89
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

QUOTE(Jade @ Feb 1 2019, 11:26 PM) *
'Breathin' was such a grower for me! Not quite up there with 'no tears left to cry' and 'God Is A Woman' but then again what is tbh. I also feel like the video is underrated, those other two obviously had spectacular videos but this one had a more subtle charm to it for sure, really channelling the anxiety theme well. I guess it was kinda just chucked out there while the next era was slowly unravelling so it makes sense that it was brushed over a bit, but I do have a soft spot.

I love the video too! wub.gif It was definitely overlooked because of the scale of the other two videos!

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 2nd February 2019, 12:14 PM
Post #90
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

10 Martina Attili – Cherofobia

Dirti che staremo insieme
Dirti che staremo bene

Kicking off our top 10 is the one least of you will know, and the least accessible, but a song that really instantly hit me wub.gif I randomly stumbled across this thanks to her X Factor audition on the Italian version, I found that on Youtube and instantly I was just shook. I only had a vague gist of what she was saying but I was in tears within a minute, the sense of emotion and melody to this song was insane, this 16 year girl didn't even to speak my language to pierce my heart. When I read the translation, really felt the song and got into it more, I knew it was something special even more. Written about fearing being happy, and the fact that people can't believe this cute 16 year old girl feels like it, this just draws me in and crushes my heart with every listen <3 I cannot wait for more music from her, she's got such a unique, intimate and raw voice that could craft any story into something beautiful. She also had a very good cover of Material Girl by Madonna that was in the original style yet somehow still worked with her voice laugh.gif

09 Netta - Toy

Wonder Woman don't you ever forget
You're divine and he's about to regret

A little bit of a change of pace rotf.gif I knew this was IT when I heard it as it leaked, Israel had been a bit hit and miss success wise this decade (although they were my 2015 winner with the banger Golden Boy) but this was so bizarre, so unique yet so right. Quirky production, vocal trills, Hebrew slang and chicken noises all combine here, and that sounds like a mess on paper but it all absolutely works! Netta has such a unique mind for crafting music, she did things nobody else would have dared to, on the biggest music platform in Europe, and slayed it all. The live performance was a spectacle and it's no wonder the song won, love it or hate it, it was certainly hugely memorable. She got a bit of hate for not being Eleni Foureira and "robbing" her, but she fully deserved the win - although it wasn't quite my fave of the year ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Jade
post 2nd February 2019, 12:37 PM
Post #91
Group icon

Pleased that you also like the 'Breathin' video <3 I guess 'no tears left to cry' and 'God Is A Woman' were like blockbuster affairs (...plus the gopher part x) so it was always going to pale in comparison, but she is basically the queen of videos right now *.*

Speaking of 'God Is A Woman', yayyyy for it nabbing a top 15 position here *.* it has now surpassed 'Love Me Harder' as my favourite Ariana song! It feels so silly now that I was initially underwhelmed by it, I guess it was always going to be hard to follow up 'no tears left to cry', but I slowly got the appeal of it more and more and now it's absolutely incredible <3 the 'Sweetener' singles cannot be faulted tbh. Also, from that section, I definitely prefer 'Paradise' to 'Shotgun' too! The latter is a lot of fun but 'Paradise' was so striking and exactly the era revival that George needed after 'Don't Matter Now' happened, his best ever song!

Rooting for Ariana, Ava, Badflower, Gaga or Panic! to take the crown here!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 2nd February 2019, 10:35 PM
Post #92
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

Toy is an absolute bop, the chicken noises actually work really quite well which I'd never have called laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 3rd February 2019, 12:31 PM
Post #93
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

QUOTE(Jade @ Feb 2 2019, 12:37 PM) *
Pleased that you also like the 'Breathin' video <3 I guess 'no tears left to cry' and 'God Is A Woman' were like blockbuster affairs (...plus the gopher part x) so it was always going to pale in comparison, but she is basically the queen of videos right now *.*

Speaking of 'God Is A Woman', yayyyy for it nabbing a top 15 position here *.* it has now surpassed 'Love Me Harder' as my favourite Ariana song! It feels so silly now that I was initially underwhelmed by it, I guess it was always going to be hard to follow up 'no tears left to cry', but I slowly got the appeal of it more and more and now it's absolutely incredible <3 the 'Sweetener' singles cannot be faulted tbh. Also, from that section, I definitely prefer 'Paradise' to 'Shotgun' too! The latter is a lot of fun but 'Paradise' was so striking and exactly the era revival that George needed after 'Don't Matter Now' happened, his best ever song!

Rooting for Ariana, Ava, Badflower, Gaga or Panic! to take the crown here!

I had that on first listen of GIAW a bit too, although it was one of those awful half dead at 5am why did I stay up first listens laugh.gif

QUOTE(JosephAvery @ Feb 2 2019, 10:35 PM) *
Toy is an absolute bop, the chicken noises actually work really quite well which I'd never have called laugh.gif

I remember them teasing it as having chicken noises and I was like erm, but farmyard QUEEN *.*

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 3rd February 2019, 12:47 PM
Post #94
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

08 Lady Gaga – I’ll Never Love Again

Don't wanna to give my heart away
To another stranger
Or let another day begin
Won't even let the sunlight in
No, I'll never love again

The first of Lady Gaga’s two appearances in this top 10 is the heart wrenching finale of A Star Is Born, performed after the death of Ally's husband Jackson, Bradley Cooper's character. This is reminscent of a classic love ballad such as I Will Always Love You, I remember seeing it in the film without having heard any of the soundtrack as I went to an advance screening before the soundtrack came out, and I was just blown away. The effortless power, the tangible emotion and the simplicity of it all, it's one of those songs that just lets an incredible voice shine through and there's not really a more incredible voice around than Lady Gaga's. This feels timeless, such a fitting end to the film, you can imagine if that was Ally in the real world, it'd be a moment that sets her career off an another level, just like ASIB is doing for Gaga.

07 Panic! At The Disco – High Hopes

Had to have high, high hopes for a living
Shooting for the stars when I couldn't make a killing
Didn't have a dime but I always had a vision

Brendan Urie got his biggest hit with this, the pop money shot from Panic's latest album, and it's easy to see why. It perfectly blends the classic Panic formula of a dash of theatricality and punchy vocals with blazing horns that make the song totally ready for radio, without losing their magic or "selling out". The video is just brilliant too, simple but really effective and sticks in your mind. The layers of sound, the drums and beats and punchy vocals, with an uplifting message of breaking out and achieving your dreams, all combine to make this one of the best pop songs of the year and my favourite Panic track to date amongst stiff competition!

+Quote this post
coi
post 3rd February 2019, 12:59 PM
Post #95
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 73,240

What a great pair of songs there!! I'll Never Love Again works very well in the film and High Hopes was a real slow-burner but glad it managed to revive Panic's status in the charts as well! Not sure I'd quite put it up there as my favourite Panic song as the top two from the rate (IWSNT and TBOML) probably still take that for me, but still a great tune!

Hope Ariana, Ava or Badflower take it in the end!

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 3rd February 2019, 01:27 PM
Post #96
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

06 Badflower - Ghost

I tried it once before but I didn't get too far
I felt a lot of pain but it didn't stop my heart
And all I really wanted was someone to give a little f***
But I waited there forever and nobody even looked up

This is one of the most instantly chilling and affecting songs I've ever heard, I was looking for BJSC potentials and came across it from the Billboard rock chart, just thought I'd have a listen and I was blown away. It's very raw and hard-hitting, with lyrics that detail suicidal thoughts and self harm in such an honest way, you really feel like you're being let into someone's lowest ebb and it's harrowing but done so well. The lead singer's rough vocal just affirms that, you can feel the pain in every note and believe it, it's coming from a place of truth, begging for someone to take any chances to hurt himself away because he doesn't really want to die but can't see any other way out. This was my biggest BJSC hit of the year and one of my biggest to date, mere points away from winning, so close but so far but 3rd was fab!

05 Kacey Musgraves - Slow Burn

I'm alright with a slow burn
Taking my time, let the world turn
I'm gonna do it my way, it'll be alright
If we burn it down and it takes all night

Kicking off the all important top 5 is this hazy, psychedelic slow jam that is the best song on the best album of the year wub.gif If one song sums up the vibe of Golden Hour perfectly it's this, it's got an undeniable 70s classic sound but also feels modern and timeless, it seeps through your speakers and washes over you and instantly relaxes you so that you can, just like the lyrics say, take some time to enjoy life and not let it pass you by in a rush.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 3rd February 2019, 01:27 PM
Post #97
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

QUOTE(coi @ Feb 3 2019, 12:59 PM) *
What a great pair of songs there!! I'll Never Love Again works very well in the film and High Hopes was a real slow-burner but glad it managed to revive Panic's status in the charts as well! Not sure I'd quite put it up there as my favourite Panic song as the top two from the rate (IWSNT and TBOML) probably still take that for me, but still a great tune!

Hope Ariana, Ava or Badflower take it in the end!

I Write Sins definitely still puts up a fight for me wub.gif

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 3rd February 2019, 04:06 PM
Post #98
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,723

Hi Liam!
Really like a lot of the songs in your top 50!
And from your top 20 right now, I like "Shotgun", "Il Mondo Prima Di Te", "Fuego", "Breathin", "God Is A Woman" and "Paradise"!
From your top 10, I like "High Hopes" right now!
Can't wait to see, where "No Tears Left To Cry", "Shallow" and especially "Sweet But Psycho" lands, considering all 3 songs are really good!

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 3rd February 2019, 08:09 PM
Post #99
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

04 Ava Max - Sweet But Psycho

When she's mean, you know you love it
'Cause she tastes so sweet, don't sugarcoat it

One of the most refreshing hits of the year, and also one of the very best pop songs. It's easy to compare her to Lady Gaga, but the Just Dance paralells are huge. This is a perfect pop song that gave an unknown a smash and turned her into a rising star, and it's all simply because of a great pop song. With Cirkuit behind it, that's no surprise, but the ma ma mas, vocal inflections and banging production all combine to make a simply perfect pop song and I'm so so glad that it resonated with the public and became a #1 because god knows the chart needed some perfect, pure pop like this. 2019 is going to be big for Ava I think and I can't wait to witness it all!

03 Jessica Mauboy - We Got Love

Don't you think it's just a waste of time?
When we're always fighting over material, trivial things in this life

After a huge amount of NF robberies and other entries, we get to my Eurovision winner for 2018! I may be biased as she's one of my top 5 artists, so she was probably going to be my favourite no matter what (barring a disaster of a song) but when she brought us a soaring pop anthem about spreading some love, that certainly helped cement her there! The subtle build up with the drums lets her voice shine instantly, then the production builds with subtle yet thumping rhythm that gets you caught up in the uplifting message. It's one that's actually really important in the world we live in today, that people can stand together and rise above all the awful things that are going on. The message and actual song was so Eurovision, I initially had a great feeling about this so it was devastating to see her come 20th, as much as her vocals weren't her best sad.gif

That means it's two chart smashes fighting for the top but will it be Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper's Shallow or Ariana Grande's No Tears Left To Cry? ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 3rd February 2019, 08:09 PM
Post #100
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

QUOTE(sergejdordij98 @ Feb 3 2019, 04:06 PM) *
Hi Liam!
Really like a lot of the songs in your top 50!
And from your top 20 right now, I like "Shotgun", "Il Mondo Prima Di Te", "Fuego", "Breathin", "God Is A Woman" and "Paradise"!
From your top 10, I like "High Hopes" right now!
Can't wait to see, where "No Tears Left To Cry", "Shallow" and especially "Sweet But Psycho" lands, considering all 3 songs are really good!

Yaas stan me <3
That's 1/3 landed ohmy.gif

+Quote this post

6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 28th April 2024, 07:48 PM