BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> RabbitFurCoat - 100 Songs of the 2010s
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Popchartfreak
post 4th January 2020, 04:16 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

some good choices here so far - I have to say, amongst male-music-fans of a certain age (40+) Fontaines DC seem to be sweeping it up at the moment amongst my friends! That really must bode well for this decade...
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 4th January 2020, 08:32 PM
Post #22
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel
User: 118

12 - Indie

Arcade Fire - Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains) (2010)
Bombay Bicycle Club - Shuffle (2011)
Courteeners - The 17th (2013)
DMA's - For Now (2017)
M83 - Midnight City (2011)

Each Arcade Fire album may have less great songs on than the previous but they've still produced some stellar songs over the past 10 years, the highlight of which has been the Regine fronted 'Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)' from 'The Suburbs' album. Bombay Bicycle got through albums fairly quickly in their early years but their quality never dipped and 'Shuffle' remains a joyous lively song. In the previous decade three songs spent more than half a year in my personal chart, this decade 26 weeks was the most, shared by five songs, of which 'Shuffle' was the first.

The last of those was 26 weekers was 'The 17th' from Courteeners. They weren't a band I paid much attention to initially, coming at the tail end of landfill indie, but their output this decade has continued to impress and I'm amazed at just how big a band they've become, particularly live. This proved they still very much had it five albums in. I've already spoke about DMA's, 'For Now' my top single of 2018 and the song which really swung my opinion of them. I was delighted 'Midnight City' became an unexpected crossover hit, the synths, the sax, I've only grown to love it more as the decade went on.

This post has been edited by RabbitFurCoat: 4th January 2020, 08:39 PM

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 4th January 2020, 08:34 PM
Post #23
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Jan 4 2020, 04:16 PM) *
some good choices here so far - I have to say, amongst male-music-fans of a certain age (40+) Fontaines DC seem to be sweeping it up at the moment amongst my friends! That really must bode well for this decade...

Yes they do seem to have managed to gain a good following of all ages, seen them at a festival and the crowd was very varied. I wanted to get tickets for the tour they're starting either this week or next, but everywhere with reasonable distance to me had sold out by July!

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 6th January 2020, 07:02 PM
Post #24
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel

13 - Chilled

alt-J - 3WW (2017)
Beach House - Norway (2010)
Bon Iver - Holocene (2011)
London Grammar - Rooting For You (2017)
The xx - Angels (2012)

Wasn't really sure how to label this group but 5 songs that slow the pace and make me relaxed and chilled out.

alt-J's second album has to be up there with the biggest disappointments of the decade, so I wasn't as bothered about their return as I might have been, '3WW' surprised me though and was a massive return to form, giving them their first number one single, the various layers and different voices all add to the songs appeal (Ellie Rowsall of Wolf Alice to be the only person to end a year with two entries in my top 3), and their Glastonbury performance of it was absolutely phenomenal. I discovered a lot of great bands in 2010, and Beach House were one of the best. It was a great year for albums and 'Teen Dream' was up there amongst its best with a fab trio of singles including 'Norway'. Whilst they haven't hit the same heights they've remained an act I've enjoyed a lot over the course of the decade.

2011 was the year of Bon Iver for me, it was the first time I'd really got into them and loved their album, with its standout 'Holocene' ending the year as my single of the year and coming towards the end of its half year on my personal chart, still utterly gorgeous and almost in my top 5 of the decade. I was a bit late to London Grammar, but ended up loving their debut album. Their return 'Rooting For You' blew me away and I now think it's by far their best. Another act I was excited for their follow-up after a great debut was The xx, and 'Angels' didn't disappoint following on from where they left off.

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 6th January 2020, 07:17 PM
Post #25
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel

14 - Remixes

David Bowie - Love Is Lost [Hello Steve Reich Mix by James Murphy for the DFA] (2013)
Hot Chip - Spell [Superorganism Remix] (2019)
LCD Soundsystem - Oh Baby [Lovefingers Remix] (2018)
London Grammar - Hell To The Liars [Kölsch Remix] (2017)
The xx - On Hold [Jamie xx Remix] (2017)

5 songs now that I mainly love and were made even better my a remix now.

I've never been a huge David Bowie fan, but I have always been a huge James Murphy/LCD Soundsystem fan, so was always going to give a remix of his a listen to, especially one so high profile, and 'Love Is Lost' is stunning work. 'Spell' is one of Hot Chip's high pieces, but was improved by Superorganism turning it into something much more fun, it's accompanying video is suitably great too. 'Oh Baby' is one of the best songs from LCD Soundsystem's 'American Dream' album, but it did feel like there was a bit of oomph missing, but that was changed with a remix package, my favourite of which was the Lovefingers one.

London Grammar's work has continually proven that it sounds great when remixed, but everything previous was blown out of the water by Danish DJ Kölsch, I didn't realise that what I needed in my life going into winter was the turning of the rather beautiful 'Hell to the Liars' into a 13 minute banger, but I certainly did. I loved 'On Hold' when The xx returned with it in 2016, but a year later was loving its remix by one of the band even more, Jamie xx showing off his immense talents once more.

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 8th January 2020, 07:16 PM
Post #26
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel

15 - Gone But Not Forgotten

Estrons - Lilac (2018)
The Maccabees - Went Away (2012)
The Pains of Being Pure at Heart - Heart In Your Heartbreak (2010)
Wild Beasts - Palace (2014)
Wu Lyf - We Bros (2011)

5 acts who I've loved who are now sadly no longer, splitting up after varying levels of success and number of albums.

Starting with Estrons, a big favourite of mine releasing a host of decent singles before the album 'You Say I'm Too Much, You Say I'm Not Enough' in 2018. Unfortunately within 6 months of that they were no more. It would be in my top 5 of the last couple of years and was gutted as was looking forward so much to more, 'Lilac' being my favourite track from it. Hopefully there will be more in other guises, as singer Tali lent her vocals to Right Hand Left Hand's 'Chacabuco' which is one of my favourites of 2019. The Maccabees had 10 charting singles and 3 number ones for me over the course of their four albums with 'Went Away' being the most successful with three weeks at the top. Unlike many who emerged at the time of that style, they seemed to get better and develop a fanbase.

The Pains of Being Pure at Heart were also an act with three number ones, the last of which was 'Heart In Your Heartbreak', typical of their style and an excellent pop song. Their last album was a significant drop off for them, but they had some belters in their discography. Nothing Wild Beasts have done this decade quite tops 2009s 'Two Dancers' which has become one of my favourite albums, however each album has had some crackers on it. 'Palace' is lovely, and their only chart number one. I'd mentioned Wu Lyf in the Lost Under Heaven entry, their 2011 album was a massive obsession and the single from it 'We Bros' was its standout track.

Special mentions to I am Kloot, Noah & The Whale, Yeasayer, INHEAVEN, Kid Wave, The Enemy and Delorean who have all released great songs in the 2010s but are no more, and some others like Delphic, The Big Pink, Fixers and Eternal Death who I'd considered for this 5 on the assumption they'd split up but haven't.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 8th January 2020, 08:28 PM
Post #27
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

So many great choices here Mark, I've really enjoyed this way of presenting the decade. I still love “Shuffle” which still sounds just as great as it did when I first heard it in the summer of 2011, and the James Murphy remix of “Love Is Lost” is excellent - one of my favourite remixes of the decade for sure, probably along with the A-Trak remix of Yeah Yeah Yeahs “Heads Will Roll” - though technically that was right at the end of 2009.. but I didn't actually hear it until January 2010 (I think) so I'm going to count it!

Always sad when great bands call it a day for good - I was fortunate enough to see The Maccabees before they disbanded when they headlined at Latitude in 2016, I remember buying their debut single “First Love” (which I'll have to go an dig out).. they did remarkably well to break out in the era that they did (landfill indie) and survive through until the end of the next decade. My favourite era was the one with “Love You Better” (Wall of Arms)? but they continued to impress in the 2010s. Also - I didn't realise that The Pains of Being Pure at Heart had disbanded.. “Heart In Your Heartbreak” is an amazing track and definitely my favourite of theirs this decade, in the previous decade it was probably 2009s “Higher Than The Stars”! Classic.

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 11th January 2020, 02:49 PM
Post #28
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel

16 - Long Songs

Everything Everything - A Fever Dream (2017)
Foals - Spanish Sahara (2010)
Jagwar Ma - The Throw (2013)
Real Lies - The Checks (2018)
Tokyo Police Club - Argentina (Parts I, I, II) (2014)

I've always been partial to a long song, and there are plenty in this run down overall, but the longest of these five which last almost 36 in total is only the 5th longest overall here, and only three are in the 10 longest, such is the way I've categorised things. These songs have a combined total of 24 weeks at number one, even more impressive considering one of them only made #2!

My first experience of 'A Fever Dream' was seeing it played live in a packed out small venue on one of the hottest days of the year, a venue so hot a gig I had to leave early because I couldn't hack, between the songs the crowd knew was a new one which had far less energy than a typical Everything Everything song with its beautiful piano intro and looping, and one which I couldn't wait to hear the studio version of. There was certainly no disappointment when 'A Fever Dream' was released, taking just four weeks to climb to number one and ending 2017 as its top single.

Jagwar Ma were a big success story for me in 2013, 'The Throw' released at the beginning of the year with an Animal Collective feel to it, before their album went on to dominate the summer, its sound perfect for it. There can have been few bigger differences between the sound of a debut album and the lead single from a follow up than 'Antidotes' to 'Spanish Sahara' from Foals. Gone was the high energy and in was something which seemed to possess far more of a structure that built and built over nearly 7 minutes into a stunning crescendo, something which remains my favourite song of theirs.

2018 was a big year for Real Lies for me. They'd made an impact with their debut album in 2015 but never been amazed by them, then they released 'The Checks', a much busier and dancier song than previously that suited singer Tom Watson's London singing accent so well. It ended the year in my top 3 best and most listened to songs, with 'White Flowers' (with Tom Demac) and 'Man of the Land' also making big impressions on me. Tokyo Police Club were another act who'd only made something of an impact with their early material, and the same has happened with their later material too, but between that came 'Argentina', a song split into three distinct parts but at the same time not really realising it. Only 8 songs have ever managed to spend 7 weeks at the top of my chart, of which all but one spent only 7, 'Argentina (Parts I, II, III)' becoming the longest ever running number one with 9.

This post has been edited by RabbitFurCoat: 11th January 2020, 02:50 PM

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 11th January 2020, 02:53 PM
Post #29
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Jan 8 2020, 08:28 PM) *
So many great choices here Mark, I've really enjoyed this way of presenting the decade. I still love “Shuffle” which still sounds just as great as it did when I first heard it in the summer of 2011, and the James Murphy remix of “Love Is Lost” is excellent - one of my favourite remixes of the decade for sure, probably along with the A-Trak remix of Yeah Yeah Yeahs “Heads Will Roll” - though technically that was right at the end of 2009.. but I didn't actually hear it until January 2010 (I think) so I'm going to count it!

Always sad when great bands call it a day for good - I was fortunate enough to see The Maccabees before they disbanded when they headlined at Latitude in 2016, I remember buying their debut single “First Love” (which I'll have to go an dig out).. they did remarkably well to break out in the era that they did (landfill indie) and survive through until the end of the next decade. My favourite era was the one with “Love You Better” (Wall of Arms)? but they continued to impress in the 2010s. Also - I didn't realise that The Pains of Being Pure at Heart had disbanded.. “Heart In Your Heartbreak” is an amazing track and definitely my favourite of theirs this decade, in the previous decade it was probably 2009s “Higher Than The Stars”! Classic.

Thanks for the comment, glad you are enjoying it.

Yes a shame The Pains of Being Pure at Heart are no more, I don't think it was long ago, back half of last year. Their first two albums and that 'Higher Than The Stars' EP were all fab, the latter albums weren't as good but both had some great stuff on it.

I really loved The Maccabees, like the Courteeners I didn't really get into them with their first album, they came quite late and I was a bit bored of that stuff by then, but I really grew to love them. 'Wall of Arms' was indeed fab and my favourite of their albums, I loved the remake of 'No Kind Words' as 'Empty Vessels' with Roots Manuva.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 12th January 2020, 01:28 PM
Post #30
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

Absolutely love “Spanish Sahara” - I remember it being the clear highlight of their gig when I saw them at Bristol O2 in November 2010.. and it replaced “Balloons” as my favourite of theirs, which was quite a feat as that had a lot of nostalgia attached to it, mainly because I bought that on 7" from the flagship HMV Oxford St store at Christmas in 2007 (it was my Christmas #1 that year).

“The Throw” and “Argentina (Parts I, I, II)” are also great indie anthems from the decade. I remember the latter being entered to BJSC and it made me revisit the band who I did really enjoy for a time in the late 2000s. “Your English Is Good” and “Nature of the Experiment” being some of my favourites.

I think my favourite long song of the decade was “Thinking of a Place” by The War on Drugs - 11 minutes and 11 seconds and it doesn't ever feel like it.

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 12th January 2020, 02:54 PM
Post #31
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel

17 - Miscellaneous

Daughter - Poke (2019)
Frightened Rabbit - I Wish I Was Sober (2016)
Metronomy - The Look (2011)
The Naked & Famous - Young Blood (2010)
School of Seven Bells - On My Heart (2016)
Young Fathers In My View (2018)

So the final category is for all of those songs and acts I wanted to include, but couldn't work into something cohesive, so just a miscellaneous collection of stragglers which became 6 songs (therefore 101 songs of the decade) as I forgot one of these, and couldn't sufficiently get it to replace anything elsewhere given the late stage of remembering it.

Prior to Scott Hutchison's tragic death last year, his band Frightened Rabbit were planning on releasing a 10 year special edition of their most well known album 'The Midnight Organ Fright', with each song given a new take by bands they liked and were close to. It was released a year later than intended and felt far more raw than it would've done. It contains some brilliant and unique versions of songs but nothing quite comes close to matching 'Poke', it's a track I've never really been able to get into on the original album but here it is turned into something completely different and special by Daughter - Elena Tonra's vocals are stunning and she really brings out its fantastic lyrics. Half of it is utterly beautiful, half of it is an absolute banger, it works so well and comfortably ends 2019 as my favourite song of it.

Speaking of Frightened Rabbit, 2016s 'Painting of a Panic Attack' album was when I first grew to appreciate them properly, with a fantastic run of singles ending in 'I Wish I Was Sober'. Like a lot of their stuff, sung beautifully by Scott and with excellent lyrics. I've come to appreciate a lot more of their material but nothing makes me feel like this one, which spent 5 weeks atop the chart at the beginning of 2017.

Metronomy were an act I liked a few songs by, but was never a massive fan of and nothing of theirs had ever charted higher than #27, I'd manage to miss 'The Look' completely when it was released. Then I remember seeing this performance of it on the BBC's Glastonbury coverage and I was hooked, with 'The English Riviera' becoming one of my albums of the year. They're now up to 15 chart hits with 6 top 10s but nothing has managed to top 'The Look' yet. It was I who introduced Unknown Pleasures to this site in 2010, the first winner of which was 'Young Blood' by The Naked and Famous, fully deserving and which nearly 10 years on sounds even more incredible. They've gone on to become a favourite of mine over the intervening years with three impressive albums.

School of Seven Bells were a strong contender for my act of the decade, three excellent albums and a standalone Joey Ramone cover. After 2012s 'Ghostory' I'd really become a massive fan (my BuzzJack avatar has still never changed) and was looking forward to future material, when it was announced in 2013 that one half of the duo, Benjamin Curtis, had been diagnosed with lymphoma, his death at the end of that year was the first time I'd ever really felt affected by a 'celebrity' death. Following that, I was just going to cherish the music they'd made together, when work was finished on songs they had made and a posthumous album was released. Lacking any kind of expectation, it felt like an amazing album, with 'On My Heart' growing to be my favourite song of theirs - Alejandra has always had a gorgeous voice, definitely in evidence on this.

Following the acclaim of their debut album I tried but failed to get into Young Fathers, their second album was better but it was the slowburn of 'In My View' that really turned me into a fan, there's so much going on here and it still sounds perfect now.

So, the last three are the best band of the decade (tonight), the best albums of the decade (tomorrow) and the best songs of the decade (Tuesday).

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 12th January 2020, 03:19 PM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,723

Nice to see "Young Blood" on there!

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 13th January 2020, 08:16 PM
Post #33
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel

18 - The Best Act of the 2010s

The Joy Formidable - The Greatest Light Is The Greatest Shade (2011)
The Joy Formidable - The Leopard and the Lung (2013)
The Joy Formidable - Little Blimp (2013)
The Joy Formidable - Whirring (2011)
The Joy Formidable - Y Bluen Eira (2018)

Choosing a favourite act of the decade is quite a difficult task, ideally they need to have been around for at least half of it, released multiple albums with none of them being a significant drop off in quality, and their best work not belonging in a previous decade. In the end there was only really one contender; The Joy Formidable being a band I’ve loved from the start, whose albums are all at least very good, who I’ve seen live four times, including travelling to Wales for one of those. It’s a shame they never really made it bigger than they did, and that they’re better known in the USA which means they play less here, but I’m delighted they’re still releasing quality music and will continue into the next decade. They’re so involved with their fanbase and such lovely people, it’s impossible not to love them.

Closing their debut album ‘The Big Roar’, ‘The Greatest Light Is The Greatest Shade’ is magnificent from first listen, the opening riff meant I was instantly hooked. I’ve already proclaimed by love for long songs, The Joy Formidable are amazing at those, getting this to build over 5-6 minutes into a wonderful finale. It took me far too long to really appreciate the high quality of their second album ‘Wolf’s Law’. The 6 minutes of ‘The Leopard & The Lung’ is the standout from it, left as an album track but very much a live staple. The sharing of vocals isn’t as pronounced as it is in some bands, but the contrast from Ritzy (female) to Rhydian (male) here is at its best. From the same album, ‘Little Blimp’ is a much shorter singalong anthem that’s also brilliant in acoustic form.

‘Whirring’ is their showpiece and should feature in my 5 favourite songs of the decade really, something which has spent a whole decade continuing to grow on me. Originally included on 2009s ‘A Balloon Called Moaning’ EP, it was remade and its length doubled for their debut album, adding a long instrumental section that gets more energetic and nosier as it goes on.
As the band have grown they’ve begun to use their native Welsh a bit more, re-recording their debut EP in it for its anniversary and opening their most recent album ‘AAARTH’ with ‘Y Bluen Eira’, their first mainstream Welsh release - it’s the standout song from their most recent two albums.

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 13th January 2020, 08:53 PM
Post #34
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel

19 - The Best Albums of the 2010s

Ben Howard - Keep Your Head Up (2011)
Jamie xx feat. Romy - Loud Places (2015)
The National - Conversation 16 (2010)
Public Service Broadcasting - Everest (2012)
Purity Ring - Begin Again (2015)

The best songs off the best 5 albums. There's just about no crossover between my top 5 songs and top 5 albums, though I reckon on another day 'Conversation 16' would be in my top 5 songs and another 2010 album would be appearing here.

Singer-songwriter albums have never really been my thing, which meant by complete obsession by Ben Howard's debut album 'Every Kingdom' was something of a surprise. Nothing of its kind has come close to captivating me as much before or since, such a varied album of the uplifting, the lovely and the raw, I was delighted that it (and he) became so successful. 'Keep Your Head Up' is a huge anthem that I still adore, my favourite of his and his most successful song, with 6 weeks as my number one.

2010 and 2015 were easily the best two years for albums, if I extended this to a top 10 I reckon they'd take up 7 of it. Jamie xx's 'In Colour' was something I anticipated highly, his 2011 project reworking Gil Scott-Heron was brilliant, and I'd loved the singles he'd released prior to the albums release, then 'Loud Places' came along and it was perfect. It's essentially a song by The xx with Romy as its featured vocalist, but just seemed more perfect than what they'd worked on before. The album continued to grow over the years, even the bits I weren't so keen on to become my favourite. It's stunning from start to finish, the mix of different vocalists and instrumentals is great. After 'Loud Places' my favourites on it have been ever changing.

The National have already appeared twice in here, and were in the reckoning to be my favourite act of the decade. 'Alligator' is great, and 'Boxer' a huge favourite of mine that introduced me to The National, but I think 'High Violet' is their high point, probably their most varied album, 'Conversation 16' is its high point, although it took a while to properly click.

I've already discussed Public Service Broadcasting blowing me away, being like nothing I'd ever heard before or since I absolutely loved their style, each song so interesting and brilliant, fitting a theme perfectly to form the most wonderful album and live experience. 'Everest' was where the love began, the first song I heard by them and was left completely hooked.

As with The National, a third appearance in this 101 for Purity Ring but the first on their own. I loved their 2012 debut album 'Shrines', and two thirds of it would be in contention for this 5, but 'Another Eternity' took them to another level for me, more polished and more consistent, definitely my favourite ever electronic album ever released, for another couple of months at least. I think I mentioned earlier they'd have the most top 40/50 entries if I did a chart of the decade, 'Begin Again' would probably join 'Breathe This Air' in a top 10.

To rank these:
1 - In Colour
2 - Inform - Educate - Entertain
3 - High Violet
4 - Every Kingdom
5 - Another Eternity

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 26th January 2020, 03:34 PM
Post #35
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel

Err... Time to finish this then!

The Best 5 Songs of the 2010s

Remarkably, none of these songs finished the year they were released as my single of the year, instead ending them at 3, 3, 2 & 8, with one ineligible as it wasn't released as a single.

05 - Wolf Alice - Don't Delete the Kisses (2017)

Wolf Alice have without doubt been one of the bands of the decade, and only a lack of material in comparison to others prevented them from being my act of the decade. Not releasing anything in 2019 prevented them from extending their record of having a hit on my end of year chart for a 7th year in a row. Their debut album 'My Love Is Cool' spawned many great songs and I eagerly anticipated follow-up material, but unfortunately they returned with 'Yuk Foo' which was about the weakest thing they'd ever put out.

But then came 'Don't Delete The Kisses', unlike anything they'd previously released with Ellie's more refrained vocal over the verses. I absolutely adore the contrast between the verse and chorus here. It took a while to grow, not reaching number one until its 8th week before staying there for five. A tale of feeling the person you want is unobtainable, its subject matter touches most, and unlike a lot of songs of the like, concludes with a happy ending.

This post has been edited by RabbitFurCoat: 26th January 2020, 03:38 PM

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 26th January 2020, 03:45 PM
Post #36
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel

04 - Tame Impala - Let It Happen (2015)

Tame Impala was an act I just couldn't really get, with 2012s 'Elephant' being the only song I'd liked, and no where near as highly as it seemed to be rated, being only a moderate sized #18 hit.

But then there was a return in 2015 with 'Let It Happen', it hits you instantly, Kevin Parker sounds great and there's so much going on. Then comes the 3 minute long instrumental section in the middle, so much going on and so uplifting, wonderfully joyous and incredibly danceable to. At 7:48 in length, its only the third longest song in the top 5!

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 26th January 2020, 03:57 PM
Post #37
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel

03 - Courteeners - Small Bones (2015)

Coming at the tail end of successful noughties British Indie music I'd pretty much moved on to other things by 2008 and never really gave The Courteeners much of a chance until their 2010 follow-up when they made their chart debut, before racking up 12 entries before the decade was out. Whilst their recent albums have been less good, each has still produced one song that I absolutely adore.

'Small Bones' is not a song you'd imagine being made by a band who emerged from the scene they did, heavily laden with keys and a massive string section that's become a crowd favourite in a hugely popular live set. A beautiful tale of falling in love, Liam Fray can be an excellent lyricist and that's most evident here.

I'll post the top 2 later tonight for anyone still following - don't think it should be that difficult to guess the 2 songs.

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 26th January 2020, 08:49 PM
Post #38
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel

02 Kanye West feat. Pusha T - Runaway (2010)

I was never a massive hip-hop fan in the 00s but Kanye West was the one act from the genre who I kept turning to throughout, I even bought a couple of his albums. But whilst he'd produced some excellent songs over the course of his first four albums, nothing compared to the quality of the material that was to come on 'My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy', which was incredibly close to being in my top 5 of the decade.

'Runaway' is its highlight, an incredible song that I adore every one of its 548 seconds. The piano intro is mesmerising, the beat kicking in is incredible and then Kanye;s rapping it at its best. It's catchy, memorable, has an excellent and worthy guest feature from Pusha T and the wind-down is great. He may have gone on to become completely insufferable and the quality of the music he releases has significantly dipped, but nothing has stopped my enjoyment of 2010 era Kanye. It may be my second favourite song of the decade, but it's not even my favourite song from the year it was released...

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 26th January 2020, 08:50 PM
Post #39
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel

01 - LCD Soundsystem - Dance Yrself Clean (2010)

Ultimately, there was never any contest to what was my favourite song of the 2010s. 2007s 'Sound of Silver' was one of my favourite albums of the 2000s and had turned me into a massive LCD Soundsystem fan, eagerly anticipating its follow-up, 'This Is Happening'.

It opens with a song that's 9 minutes long (of course it does, it's LCD Soundsystem). It starts off quietly and gradually builds until it explodes into life a third of the way through. A decade on I still marvel at how rich this song is, how many layers there are to it, the production, the different instrumentation. Absolutely the standout song of the decade from one of the standout acts of my lifetime.

Unfortunately this was never released as a single so never charted and as such didn't make the end of year chart, but four years later did become a top 3 hit thanks to Ms Mr's take on it.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 27th January 2020, 08:54 PM
Post #40
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

Lilac was a brilliant song, I found out Estrons were splitting up just as Strangers really hit me which was sad as I was just getting into them sad.gif
Don't think I'd realised A Fever Dream was that long, certainly one of the best songs from that album though!
Giving your #1 a listen now, an interesting choice! Clearly not one of their more mainstream songs (well it is 9 minutes long laugh.gif) but it does showcase his voice and when it kicks in it really gets going and I am quite enjoying it now!

Thanks for sharing this here, I've enjoyed following along!

+Quote this post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 10:03 AM