BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> 
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Robs End of Decade Top 150, Full recap on page 3! Rather Be #1.
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Roba.
post Jan 20 2020, 05:53 PM
Post #21
Rob aah
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 3,804
   No Gallery Pics

Another slow song from Olly Murs as 'Dear Darlin' appears at 105 and Katy Perry is setting off a 'Firework' at 104. The touching song about a house burning down hence the title of the song 'Burning House' by country artist Cam comes up at 103. Cam have recently just come back to prominence (on the forum at least) as they were in the last BJSC contest of 2019 with another good'un which came runner up for Dobago. In what can only be described as true art... 'Tilted' by Christine & The Queens is 102nd & Katy is back again with the big #1 hit from 2013, 'Roar' at the unlucky number 101. This means we have arrived at the top 100 which I'll start later on!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Roba.
post Jan 20 2020, 05:58 PM
Post #22
Rob aah
   No Gallery Pics

Recap so far!

101 Katy Perry – Roar
102 Christine & The Queens – Tilted
103 Cam – Burning House
104 Katy Perry - Firework
105 Olly Murs – Dear Darlin'
106.London Grammar – Strong
107 Sandra Lyng - Play My Drum
108 Rihanna ft Drake - Whats My Name
109 Rihanna - We Found Love
110 Gabriella Cilmi – On A Mission

111 Halestorm - Apocalyptic
112 Dennis Shepard Ft Sarah Lynn – Dive
113 Ella Eyre - Deeper
114 John Legend - All of Me
115 Demi Lovato - Skyscraper
116 Matt Cardle Ft Melanie C – Loving You
117 Kelly Clarkson – Piece By Piece
118 Christina Perri - Human
119 Rihanna - S&M
120 Bruno Mars – Just The Way You Are

121 Lawson – Learn To Love Again
122 Margaret – Cool Me Down
123 Camilla Cabello - Havana
124 Kygo Ft Conrad Sewell - Firestone
125 Loreen - Euphoria
126 Celine Dion – Loved Me Back To Life
127 Avicii VS Nicky Romero – I Could Be The One
128 Rudimental Ft John Newman - Feel The Love
129 Miley Cyrus – Wrecking Ball
130 Chris Brown Ft Benny Banassi - Beautiful People

131 Ed Sheeran – Castle On The Hill
132 James Arthur - Impossible
133 Paloma Faith - Only Love Can Hurt Like This
134 Dua Lipa – Be The One
135 Little Mix - Touch
136 Olly Murs - You Don’t Know Love
137 Pixie Lott - Turn It Up
138 Sia - Elastic Heart
139 Portugal, The Man – Feel It Still
140 The Weeknd – I Feel It Coming

141 Alexis Jordan – Happiness
142 Billie Eilish - Bad Guy
143 Pink - A Million Dreams
144 Kelly Clarkson - Hearbeat Song
145 Ella Eyre - Together
146 Macklemore Ft Mary Lambert – Same Love
147 Emmelie de forest – Only Teardrops
148 Olly Murs Ft Demi Lovato – Up
149 Ella Henderson - Glow
150 Scissor Sisters - Fire With Fire

This post has been edited by Rob S: Jan 20 2020, 05:58 PM

+Quote Post
Riser
post Jan 21 2020, 03:42 AM
Post #23
The horrors persist, but so do I
Member No.: 19,534

Awesome to see 'Burning House' here, I forgot you were a fan! wub.gif

+Quote Post
Roba.
post Jan 21 2020, 09:36 PM
Post #24
Rob aah
   No Gallery Pics

We kick the top 100 off with perhaps the hottest female pop star around right now, Ariana Grande with her 2016 single 'Into You' which without sounding ironic was the song that got ME into her properly as I hadn't really rated Ariana that much beforehand. Canadian star Shawn Mendes struts in at 99 with 'Stitches' which was a big number 1 at the start of 2016, took a few listens to grow mind but it's a really great song especially in the male with the guitar genre of things. 2011's 'On The Floor' from J-Lo and Mr Worldwide Pitbull is next at 98 whilst Summericia's next entry to drop out (of the ones that made the top 150) Keys&Cages stomping 'Invisible' comes in at 97. This unfortunetly didn't qualify for us in summer 2016 and didn't exactly do any better in the send your flops again to another contest in 2018 either.. sad face :''( 96 we have Kelis with her dance-tastic 'Acapella', a song which topped my chart in 2010. Elsewhere at 95 we have Ella Eyre with her third appearance with 'Comeback', the club tune 'You Don't know Me' by Jax Jones and upcomer RAYE at 94 and Nicole Scherzinger's 'Don't Hold Your Breath', her only solo number one single at 93. Sometimes re do's of an old song can be very risky but if done well can make it just as good if not better than the original... enter metal band Disturbed who released a very unique version of 'A Sound of Silence' which is quite the listen if you've heard it. Huge on the feels and storytelling, the arrangement of starting off slowly and building up of his vocals as it goes on is really an exceptional job done well imho. Fantastic arrangement. 91st is strangely another cover of a old 60's song.. what is it with these cover versions!! Australian artist Grace (sister of Conrad Sewell if you didn't know) class remake of Lesley Gore's 'You Don't Own Me' rightfully took off after an X Factor Performance and did exceedingly well finishing top 5 in the UK Chart at the end of the year. Grace might be a one hit wonder as of right now but it's certainly nothing to shrug about if this remains that way forever as this is a brilliant song!

+Quote Post
Roba.
post Jan 21 2020, 09:59 PM
Post #25
Rob aah
   No Gallery Pics

At number 90 is the 'Mirrors' from Justin Timberlake who made a big comeback in 2013 with this being his song ever imo. Echosmith, a family orientated group comprised of sister Sydney and her brothers are next at 89, 'Cool Kids' was in my chart for ages and actually did well in my chart in both 2014 and 2015, the latter of course being when it became a sleeper hit in the UK. Hello, is it me your looking for?... oops wrong song. Anyhow Adele burst back onto the scene after a couple of years hiatus with 'Hello' and the track finishes as my 88th song of the decade. More Adele later on. Ava Max's 'Sweet But Psycho' is number 87, George Ezra finds himself sandwhiched between Jessie J (not in that way sleep.gif ) with 'Shotgun' at 86 and 'Paradise' at 84 whilst 'Price Tag' is number 85. With regards to Jessie this is still one of her very best regardless of how much I disliked her as time went on (and before Price Tag for that matter as I didn't like DILAD). Swedish sensation Zara Larrson is number 83 with 'Lush Life' and number 82 is John Newman with his 2nd appearance with his ACTUAL jameela.jpg debut single 'Love Me Again'. Just missing out on the top 80 we have Taylor Swift with her first step into full on pop with 'Shake It Off' at 81!

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Jan 21 2020, 11:12 PM
Post #26
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

Love Tilted, brings back very fond memories of going on holiday with my family. Still think it's amazing how a song of that ilk could make the Top 20 in the chart climate that was 2016.

Love a bit of Lush Life as well, Zara's best song by a mile in my opinion, and same with You Don't Know Me for Jax! (out of his Top 40 hits at least anyway, I think I probably do prefer 'House Work' but this is a close second).

+Quote Post
Roba.
post Jan 22 2020, 04:57 PM
Post #27
Rob aah
   No Gallery Pics

In at 80 we have One Republic who were 'Counting Stars', a surprise number one in the UK thanks to the 59p reduction on iTunes. This was quite the turnaround for them as they were struggling to get any hits for a few years until that point. Fresh off his feature on the Jonas Blue track the previous year we had JP Cooper with 'September Song', a very radio friendly, sing along in the car track. 'Wildest Dreams' provides Taylor Swift with another appearance from the album 1989 at 78.. the song spent 8 weeks atop my personal chart, underrated song imo. No.77 sees the song that got me into Marina and The Diamonds after not being really interested in her before, 'Primadonna'. I shared a nice acoustic version on my Facebook page at the time because she performed it so well and captured my ears even more so than the single version did but they are both as good as each other. Australian band Sheppard make a visit next at 76 with 'Geronimo'. They kept trying to peddle this song for months and months which eventually helped them make the top 40 charts over here peaking at number 36. 2010 and 2011 hits follow next as the mammoth 'Love The Way You Lie' from Eminem and Rihanna is 75 while Bruno Mars 'Grenade' is in 74th place. There's still one song from Bruno on the way later. 'Symphony' by Clean Bandit and Zara Larrson is next at 73, 72 is 'Little Talks' by Of Monsters and Men.. a fun little song and at number 71 we have Pitbull and Kesha's 'Timber'!

+Quote Post
Roba.
post Jan 22 2020, 08:01 PM
Post #28
Rob aah
   No Gallery Pics

Jessie J's final song here comes from her 2012 smash 'Domino'. Brighton based singer songwriter Passenger's lovely 'Let Her Go' is in at number 69 and the 4th highest of my BJSC entries, the incredible instrumental 80's sounding 'Turbo Killer' by Carpenter Brut is number 68 and then the 3rd highest of BJSC.. 'Alga' by Ignea, a symphonic metal band/song is number 67. George Ezra's 'Blame It On Me' turns up next at no.66. Number 65 we have the euphoric trance tune that is 'Connection Through Sound' by Katty Heath which was entered by myself as a auto qualifier after winning the previous contest and it was so much fun presenting except for the spreadsheet as that took me all day for some reason :/ but I was so pleased to have this as a automatic entry and it did very well coming 20th plus super awks at the song that did win for me hasn't even made it. Ah and now we come to the final of my entries and here's where I changed direction with my genres that began elevating me to a whole new fanbase and scored me a first top 10 in BJSC... 'still goin' by CRIM3S, a witch house duo from London who are very reminiscent of Crystal Castles. Three tracks from 2014 come in a trio next as Paolo Nutini's return after 5 years 'Scream, Funk My Life Up' is in at number 63 whilst Kiesza's 'Hideaway' is 62, this one had a cool dance routine in the music video.. and Ella Eyre's 'If I Go' is number 61!

+Quote Post
Roba.
post Jan 23 2020, 08:24 PM
Post #29
Rob aah
   No Gallery Pics

In at 60 is Demi Lovato with 'Cool For The Summer', a summer bop with a fun, flirty video and loadsa eye candy too. If there's one artist who's always stayed consistent through the years it's Pink for sure.. managing to remain relevant for 2 decades. Around 2012 specifically was when people thought Pink was getting lucky scoring another big hit or two and 'Try' released in the Autumn was a surefire hit with a breathtaking video. Katy Perry returns with another appearance at 58 with 'Dark Horse' and number 57 sees Ellie Goulding with her 50 Shades of Grey soundtrack 'Love Me Like You Do'. Ed Sheeran's heartfelt ballad 'Thinking Out Loud' is at 56 and number 55 is Lady GaGa with 'Alejandro' a very underappreciated song off the Fame era. Some recent tracks by Lorde (easily her best by that point) and Dua Lipa pop up at 54 & 53 while Pink's 'What About Us' is up next at 52... my top song of 2017. Before we head into the top 50 we have the #1 song from my 2011 EOY Chart.. 'Jealousy' from Will Young.. again by this stage Will was also losing some radio support due to his age (as radio 1 specifically has that artists over 30 demographic for their audience being considered old and not interested in supporting anymore etc) and this was somewhat a surprise hit at the time reaching the top 5 in the chart defying those odds but also coming down to just being a very good song. The album which I own is also pretty strong throughout!

+Quote Post
Roba.
post Jan 23 2020, 09:03 PM
Post #30
Rob aah
   No Gallery Pics

We storm into the top 50 and in at number 50 we have the stunning song from The Twilight Saga by Christina Perri.. 'A Thousand Years'. It's absolutely stunning. Ellie Goulding's last song to feature in my chart comes from the Children In Need track 'How Long Will I Love You', short, sweet and beautiful. Back to back Carly Rae Jepsen next as 'Call Me Maybe' at 48 & 'Run Away With Me' at 47 are both equally fab songs by her and the latter SHOULD HAVE BEEN A HIT!!!. Taylor Swift was at it again with her songs about ex lovers 'We Are Never Getting Back Together' whilst harsh is a massive statement in the words of Swifty about her relationships. No.45 is the timeless modern piano ballad from Labrinth and Emeli Sande.. 'Beneath Your Beautiful', a song that was very relatable to me and still is now. Next we have one of the few girl band songs to appear in my chart and this one comes from American 5 piece (then 4 piece because of circumstances) G.R.L. with 'Ugly Heart'.. this summer sizzler had IT, lots of girl power and sass, sadly by the time the song hit the charts in the UK it came at an very unfortunate time as Simone Battle took her own life at just 25 years of age sad.gif so it then brought a tinge of sadness when listening to bits of the song. Onto lighter stuff again now and 'Titanium' the humongous dance hit by David Guetta and Sia, the latter of which can thank for getting her back into relevance and becoming a successful solo artist throughout this decade strides in at 43. 'Budapest' by George Ezra follows at 42 which at the time was another surprise hit as songs of that ilk weren't too popular in the charts up till point. It was the song that introduced us to George and was a strong debut imo. Lastly we have The Saturdays with 'Missing You'.. this did have a weird sound effect in it but I don't feel it distracted away from being a solid song by them in any way. This was one of my soundtracks songs throughout the summer of 2010, oh and this was on course to become their first UK number (was #1 in the mids which I clearly remember) until it lost momentum and Flo Rida got there instead!

+Quote Post
Riser
post Jan 24 2020, 05:19 AM
Post #31
The horrors persist, but so do I
Member No.: 19,534

I missed a bunch! Cool Kids, Wildest Dreams, Geronimo, Try, Green Light and A Thousand Years wub.gif

+Quote Post
Roba.
post Jan 24 2020, 11:31 PM
Post #32
Rob aah
   No Gallery Pics

At number 40 is Kelly Clarkson spreading some festive cheer with a seasonal offering, (from her first Christmas themed album 'Underneath The Tree'. 'Try Sleeping With A Broken Heart' sung by Alicia Keys who had a very successful era back in the start of the decade is number 39 and my top song of the 2010, back then.. 'f***/Forget You' by former Gnarls Barkley member Cee Lo Green who surprisingly had a decent little solo career for about a year is 38. Funnily enough 'Teenage Dream' sits right beside FU as it was my 2nd tune of 2010 but now in years reflection just edged it out at being the bigger hit but not really by much. This was and still is Katy's ultimate song for me along with 'Hot N Cold', 'Darkhorse' and 'I Kissed A Girl'. Paolo Nutini's very political 'Iron Sky' winds up in 36th whilst 'Ghost' the debut from X Factor 2012 alumni Ella Henderson is in at number 35, just the second appearance for Ella as she's also inside the top 150 with the followup 'Glow'. Kylie managed to score a big hit in 2010 with her euphoric 'All The Lovers', the track did very well in my chart going top 3 at the time.. I believe it even managed a week or so at number 1. Who could forget the mammoth 'Telephone' from Lady Gaga and Beyonce coming off her reissued Fame Deluxe album, one of the most memorable songs of the 2010's places 33rd. You could sing it down the road, you could sing 10 miles away, 'Pompeii' by Bastille is next at 32, it's one of the most streamed songs EVER would you believe and I can see as clear as day why. It's such an anthemic sounding. Reaching number 31 we have Danish singer MO, O with the strike through.. she hadn't really had any success outside of features until 'Final Song' gave her a decent sized hit (peaking at #14).. again another euphoric song especially the build to the chorus 'and when you're gone the music goes oe oe oe oes' There's one more appearance from MO on the way still!

+Quote Post
Roba.
post Jan 24 2020, 11:42 PM
Post #33
Rob aah
   No Gallery Pics

Sigala teamed up with Ella Eyre on 'Came Here For Love', a summer banger from 2017 at number 30 as Aussie sisters The Veronicas flawless ballad, 'You Ruin Me' checks in at 29, this song legit gives me chills.. if you haven't checked their live performance on Australian Idol (or X Factor, can't remember which one) please do cry.gif BEAUTIFUL. Some big hits follow as 'We Are Young' by Fun. is no.28, 'Somebody That I Used To Know from Gotye and Kimbra is number 27 and Clean Bandit's Christmas 2016 Number One 'Rockabye' featuring Essex songstress Anne Marie and Sean Paul is 26. Next up there's Pink final charting song here with 'Perfect', again she can do no wrong with these type of songs.. she really can't. 24 sees the late Avicii with 'Hey Brother', this has always felt very harrowing to listen but after his sudden departure it just feels even more haunting and sad to listen and it's quite hard to do that when it kinda had sad elements (for me personally) when it was originally released. This particular bunch of songs are very closely linked with bringing out these strong emotional vibes and the trend continues with Katy B's 'Crying For No Reason', no question her best song which wasn't difficult as she was another singer I didn't rate very much beforehand. Powerful song and very brilliantly sung. Feel good anthem from Kelly Clarkson next as 'Stronger' is marching into 22nd place and just missing top 20 is the final release from Swedish House Mafia before they broke up and for me this was instantly the best song they've done, featuring vocals from Australian artist John Martin (who released one great song and was never to be seen again) 'Don't You Worry Child' is number 21!

+Quote Post
Roba.
post Jan 24 2020, 11:45 PM
Post #34
Rob aah
   No Gallery Pics

Thanks Serge, Pete, Jack and Riser for commenting thus far, the comments are much appreciated biggrin.gif

20-1 I'm aiming to finish tommorow!

+Quote Post
Roba.
post Jan 25 2020, 05:20 PM
Post #35
Rob aah
   No Gallery Pics

Inside the top 20 and at 20 is 'Blank Space' by Taylor Swift... for a long time I thought the lyrics were 'gotta love them starbucks lovers' until I realised the line was actually 'got a long list of ex lovers', gee Taylor it might have actually been refreshing to not have lyrics even utter the words ex and lovers in them which is an ongoing theme with Taylor's songs in general.. damn her for not singing about sweets instead :') fine pop song though. Mark Ronson hooked up with Bruno Mars in 2014 to deliver a funky beast in 'Uptown Funk', the song did slide over to becoming a bigger hit the next following year. Oh my gosh Train!! we thought they'd forever remain one hit wonders....... that changed in 2010 when 'Hey, Soul Sister' hit the airwaves. To think it only peaked at #18 at the time in the chart is crazy because it sounded way bigger than that peak suggests. They did go onto to get another top 10 hit with 'Drive By' 2 years later though. Being the daughter of a famous comedy actor set Elle King up nicely with the radio rocker 'Ex's and Oh's.. I remember being very surprised at this making the chart in early 2016 and getting into the top 20 because it's not one of them songs that usually soars in the British Charts at all. I was chuffed though and I still hear to the present day, thanks HEART! Following at 16 is another alternative belter from Meg Myers who claimed victory in the BJSC contest for Kylienips in May 2015 with 'Sorry'.. kicking myself for not joining just that tad earlier here but this is a strong, captivating record to say the least. 2012 song of the year in my chart 'Some Nights'. from Fun., perhaps not my top song reflecting years later but still a stomper and places a respectable 15th here. 14 we have the song that really sent Adele's career into another dimension.. all thanks to a effortless vocal/piano arrangement at the BRITS in 2011.. 'Someone Like You' was and still is up there with the songs that mostly defined the early 2010's although for me it's not even her best (controversial maybe) and you'll see which ones I rank over it soon. Coldplay next up with 'Paradise', this one is magical from start to finish. Number 12 is the last Taylor appearance and with a awesome song in 'I Knew You Were Trouble', by this point the video was imo Taylor's best but she has since topped it, still up there with the very best of her music videos though. Unlucky 11th falls to American 80's rock group Journey with 'Don't Stop Believing', perhaps a questionable one to include as it was already 30 years old around the time. You can thank Glee (who's version was shit by the way) for bringing this back to relevance (or just to relevance as it missed the top 40 originally). I would have liked to put this in my top 10 but when counting a best of this decade just gone, it just didn't seem fair even though it's a classic song. As mentioned with Glee bringing this to relevance in 2010, the song first got a boost into the chart following a X Factor performance in late 2009 but Glee did end up playing the biggest role in the song becoming so popular the following year.

NEXT, we enter the top 10.... 10 songs and 2 each come from Adele and Rita Ora respectively.. will one of them nab my #1 of the decade? Find out later today!

+Quote Post
Roba.
post Jan 25 2020, 10:00 PM
Post #36
Rob aah
   No Gallery Pics

Number 10 of the decade for me is the incredibly beautiful 'Jar of Hearts' by Christina Perri, a song first heard back in mid 2010 but didn't become a success until a year later. The composition of this song is just flawless and her vocals leave me with goosebumps. It was such a nice sight seeing this blow up.

This post has been edited by Rob S: Jan 25 2020, 10:02 PM

+Quote Post
Roba.
post Jan 25 2020, 10:06 PM
Post #37
Rob aah
   No Gallery Pics

Well as I was saying Rita Ora along with Adele is very fortunate to occupy two spots in my top 10 here and the first comes from the poptastic 'I Will Never Let You Down', a #1 in my personal chart & an Official UK #1 as well. This is what propelled Rita's star status higher. Such a fun bop of a song.

+Quote Post
Roba.
post Jan 25 2020, 10:09 PM
Post #38
Rob aah
   No Gallery Pics

2016 brought us some beautiful dance tracks but none of them came close to Alan Walker's 'Faded' for me.. this is beautiful from the first time I listened to it and deservedly sits inside the top 10 at number 8!

This post has been edited by Rob S: Jan 25 2020, 10:10 PM

+Quote Post
Roba.
post Jan 25 2020, 10:17 PM
Post #39
Rob aah
   No Gallery Pics

Lady GaGa felt like she was on 'The Edge of Glory' in 2011.. an obvious highlight from the 2nd album Born This Way. For me this outshone all the other singles, not to say that's a knock on them, it's just they didn't come anywhere close to TEOG. The video sure was a let down considering how hyped it was built up and also features late saxaphone player Clarence Clamons who passed away shortly after this video premiered. What a song this is wub.gif definitely amongst GaGa's ultimate songs along with her hits from The Fame imo!

+Quote Post
Roba.
post Jan 25 2020, 10:32 PM
Post #40
Rob aah
   No Gallery Pics

So Rita Ora doesn't make my #1 or top 5 for that matter despite two songs inside my top 10, coming in at number 6 is yet another perfect pop record by her 'Anywhere'. The song was kept at bay by Camilla Cabello in 2017 when it should have at least got a week or two in there.. even though 'Havana' which is also in my chart here is great as well!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:45 PM