BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> RobBot • END OF YEAR 2019, ...featuring EOY #1s of 2010-2018 recap.
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Sergej
post 20th January 2020, 02:20 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,723

"Fuego" was my favourite Eurovision song from 2018 as well, I was rooting for it to win and it didn't. But I think it should've won the contest regardless, because it's an amazing song!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
RobBot
post 21st January 2020, 11:01 AM
Post #22
Group icon
I'm in a vewy bad mood, Bwadley.
User: 7,117

91-100

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

91 Jax Jones & Tove Lo - Jacques
92 Sofi Tukker & Bomba Estereo - Playa Grande
93 Daya - Insomnia
94 John Lundvik - Too Late For Love
95 Iggy Azalea - Started
96 Margaret - Tempo
97 Charli XCX - White Mercedes
98 Sigma (feat. Louisa) - Here We Go Again
99 Alice Chater - Thief
100 Westlife - Hello My Love

• So, we finally kick off with our top 100 in manband form, with Westlife's comeback single 'Hello My Love' propping up the pack. I've always had a soft spot for Westlife due to my Mum's obsession with them and this was a genuinely strong comeback for them, taking an Ed Sheeran cast-off and transforming their dated image successfully into the 2019 frame.

• In a not so stellar year for Melodifestivalen, only three songs from the process made the top 100 and three of them fall here, with Margaret's 'Tempo' falling in at #96. Poor girl really can't get a break, as this undeservedly crashed out in its semi. The same fortune wasn't to be knocking at John Lundvik's door though, as he took 'Too Late For Love' all the way to the Eurovision top 5. It probably wouldn't have made this list otherwise, but it really extended the songs favour for me - it shows here at #94, the first of 8 Eurovision songs to make the top 100 cut.

•We see two cuts from BJSC also, though it has to be said that neither were discovered via the contest. Alice Chater's best song to date, the One Last Time inspired 'Thief' scrapes its way in at #99 whilst 'Playa Grande', one of three foreign language tracks, makes its way to #92. It's a fantastic latin-pop track from Sofi Tukker, the best I've heard from them since 'f*** They' which would've had a strong showing for me in 2017. It made a well deserved BJSC winner earlier this year, its super infectious, holiday ready vibes were irresistible for me in June, but had little staying power throughout the year to push it higher up this list.

• Elsewhere, it's a bunch of tracks that failed to make any dent on the UK charts - this being quite an inspired start to the top 100. Sigma & Louisa remade a Marshmello track for 'Here We Go Again' and it was a lot better than it was given credit for, Louisa proving how fantastic she can sound over a dance beat. Iggy Azalea's only entrant in the list (narrowly, with Sally Walker being pushed out in the last 5 songs for me to cut) goes to 'Started', her second single of her most recent era. Both tracks of hers I instantly loved this year but failed to last much longer than one or two weeks in my favour, despite fantastic videos. The first of Charli XCX's five entries falls at #97 too, with 'White Mercedes' sliding in, likely aided by me seeing her live and having this finally properly click with me.

• Some perhaps lesser known tracks also made the 91-100 cut, Daya has never really fought her way to much success past the blogs but 'Insomnia' caught my attention big time at the start of the year, finding me a veto in BJSC. It has a slight touch of Can't Get You Out Of My Head to it which can never be a bad thing and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who hasn't heard of it - very good pop stuff, in a nutshell. Last but not least, we see Jax Jones & Tove Lo at #91 with 'Jacques', showing that Tove can turn her hand to pretty much anything, even a thumping house beat and just sound super f***ing good.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

+Quote this post
RobBot
post 23rd January 2020, 01:50 PM
Post #23
Group icon

81-90

81 ROSALIA - Con Altura
82 ZENA - Like It
83 Kim Petras - 1,2,3 dayz up (feat. SOPHIE)
84 Tulisa - Sippin'
85 Cosmo's Midnight - Have It All
86 Tove Lo (feat. Kylie Minogue) - Really don't like u
87 Kim Petras - Sweet Spot
88 Nicki Minaj - MEGATRON
89 Bodin - So Good
90 Wiktoria - Not With Me

• In a year with four appearances from Kim Petras, two of her tracks fall out quite early. Disco-pop track 'Sweet Spot' really came alive when I saw perform it live in September as the last song of her set pushing it to #87, while her collaboration with SOPHIE for '1,2,3 dayz up' sees a Dr Luke production collide with SOPHIE to conjure up something super fun. It's been a great year for Kim, who I'll see again in February. We'll also see another appearance for Tove Lo, this being her 2nd of 3, who dropped an unlikely collaboration with Kylie Minogue for her fourth studio album, Sunshine Kitty, called 'really don't like u'. I played this a lot for a fortnight but once the album dropped, there were definite other highlights that I played much more, but this is a great softer moment for Tove. Her ballsy sexually aggressive side doesn't seem like it should blend with Kylie's soft and quietly sultry tones this well but they did very well to create an infusion of two sounds that sit in both of their palettes naturally and with ease.

• We see Melodifestivalen's final cut drop out now at a lowly #90, courtesy of blonde songstress Wiktoria who dropped the emotional 'Not With Me' in the first semi final in February. It wasn't an immediate favourite but the classic nature of the track allowed it to stand the test of time the best. It didn't make it to Eurovision though, unlike the Belorussian ZENA whose track 'Like It' appears at #82. While it didn't seem an immediate favourite, either on the site or amongst the ESC fans, it struck an immediate chord with me for being a balls to the wall pop track, attacked with some real oomph by the young ZENA and her broken English. And it stands well enough to be the 7th best performing Eurovision 2019 track for me in this EOY.

• There's some more familar names amongst the 81-90 section here in the form of Nicki Minaj and Tulisa. Both of which have notched up tracks that hit top 3 in my End Of Year rankings in time gone by. 'Megatron' by Nicki Minaj is hardly one of her most stellar cuts but it's certainly a gay club favourite which has helped it to remain as a track I'll definitely associate positively with 2019 in years to pass, enough to warrant it a place here. As for 'Sippin', one can only assume I'll be the only member ranking this top 100 but really - this track is fantastic. Admittedly, not very not en vogue for what does well in 2019, but the chorus really goes off and having seen her perform this live, I was affirmed in my decision that we really have not done enough to applaud Tulisa for a really solidly good track, which is no guarantee for Contastavlos as this point of her career.

• Some less familiar names group together the other three tracks to appear here. Starting from the bottom (well, #89), we see Norwegian newcomer Bodin with his Never Really Over soundalike 'So Good', a track which I then introduced to Joseph who more than took it under his wing. I feel like having compared it to Never Really Over, I don't have to do much to explain exactly why I like this track so much. It really is... so good. At #85, we hit our first of just two Hendinian BJSC entries, courtesy of Cosmo's Midnight and their funktastic 'Have It All', which didn't light up BJSC as much as we hoped, but completely with horns, the disco-leaning electronic funk blend of sounds really felt a shimmering summer necessity for me this year and perhaps could be pushed a little higher. Lastly, we reach #81, where we discover a new name to me, but a very noticeable name across the blogosphere, Rosalia. 'Con Altura' was the first track that made me sit up and pay proper attention, reminding of a Latin Gwen Stefani, this track is effortlessly cool. 'Aute Cuture' and 'Yo x Ti, Tu x Mi' have kept my attention enough that I'll keep checking back on her for further bops, but she's still yet to beat 'Con Altura' for me.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 23rd January 2020, 08:53 PM
Post #24
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

Love Playa Grande, such a fun summer track! Jacques is my favourite out of the recent Jax songs as well, why on earth was it the only one that wasn't pushed as a proper single sad.gif

Giving Sweet Spot a listen now, a nice pop song, it does take me back 5 or so years though!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 25th January 2020, 02:59 PM
Post #25
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

So Good omg *.* It really is a banger and so infectious wub.gif

Too Late for Love, Tempo and Here We Go Again are other faves so far *.*

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 26th January 2020, 12:38 AM
Post #26
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
User: 3,217

Hola Rob wub.gif Sorry for the late response!

Looking back at your 2010-2018 faves first cool2.gif

The similarities we share in our taste in music is remarkable really, but what can I say, we both know we have flawless taste. *.* We have so many of the same #1s, and I literally love every song you've posted (be it your original EOY #1, or the song you favour these days).

We Found Love & Roar remain as my favourite songs from 2011/2013, but it'll probably not be surprising to you that I would swap out Starships for Girls Aloud's Something New now (but Nicki would still be as high as second... honestly, a song. That final section where it goes a bit mental is still a rush).

Your 2015 EOY #1 and your 'favourite' now are my Top 2 songs of that year! Carly edged it for me in that year, and that's still the case now. When I think of the 2010s as a whole, Run Away with Me not being a smash must be one of the greatest music injustices of that decade, if not the greatest?

Weird coincidence but Into You was also my 4th of 2016 but would consider it my favourite song of the year now! I wish Ariana Grande had had her huge 'thank u, next' moment in 2016 with Into You, because those Top 15 peaks in both the US & UK really isn't the tea for a song that incredible. Work from Home was also my actual EOY #1, but I still adore it even though I would demote it from the top nowadays. I miss girl groups being able to smash like that. sad.gif

New Rules/Anywhere are also my two 2017 faves... and I think Anywhere edges it for me these days too, even though New Rules was my EOY. Our Albanian Queens *_*

A great choice for your 2018 #1... Fuego actually reached #1 for me in my personal chart, but it had a bit of a fleeting run so it didn't end up towards the top of my end of year. Such a great song though, second to Euphoria for my favourite Eurovision songs of the 2010s.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 26th January 2020, 12:47 AM
Post #27
Group icon

Decided to go with a second post to comment on your Top 100 of 2019 so far cool2.gif

Happy to see Hello My Love edge it into your Top 100! Easily one of my favourite songs by them ever. I wasn't too keen on them during their heyday (bitter Spice Girls fan alert x), but in the past couple of years I've warmed up to them and even the old hits I turned my nose up at have a nice nostalgic appeal to them now.

Jacques, Started, Tempo, Really don't like u and Megatron are the other songs I know and like from your 81-100, with Really don't like u being my favourite. I have to admit that it was Kylie's presence on the track which made me check it out. For some reason I've never delved into a Tove Lo album yet, even though I've liked a handful of her singles!

A great start to the chart so far, looking forward to more! cheer.gif

+Quote this post
RobBot
post 28th January 2020, 12:29 PM
Post #28
Group icon

71-80

71 Charli XCX (feat. Sky Ferreira) - Cross You Out
72 Sigrid - Don't Feel Like Crying
73 Dua Lipa - Swan Song
74 Kate Miller-Heidke - Zero Gravity
75 EVERGLOW - Adios
76 The Weeknd - Blinding Lights
77 Riton (feat. Oliver Heldens) - Turn Me On
78 Daddy Yankee (feat. Katy Perry) - Con Calma
79 Years & Years & MNEK - Valentino
80 Pabllo Vittar (feat. Charli XCX) - Flash Pose

• A much less commercial 71-80 here with only 4 top 40 hits to be found. So, we'll start with those. At #77, we have 80s meeting dance music as Riton & Oliver Heldens' Yazoo snatching bop 'Turn Me On' was a late addition to my affections but was a real highlight for dance music as far as the latter months go. Just ahead, we have the "newest" song of 2019, in the form of The Weeknd's 'Blinding Lights'. I was unsure as to whether to include it or not but as it was released before December, it seemed to fit here. It could well be higher if I had more months to base this on but this is one of the best things he has ever done for me, the synth wave backing had me hooked from the first listen and it's helped it to hold up impeccably as the years pass. It's a bold statement to make after a few months but I feel like 'Blinding Lights' will age really well for years to come and become a Weeknd staple. A great re-invention for him while still remaining very much within Abel's brand.

• As for as other chart hits go, we fall to two females in the form of Dua Lipa and Sigrid. Dua appears first at #73 with her Alita Angel's soundtrack single 'Swan Song'. I was excited to have Dua back with new music and played this a lot in the first week. I still believe it gets too much stick but now she's come back with Don't Start Now, it's even easier to throw shade towards this. It's probably an album track at best and is quite safe for Dua but I think the production is still very strong and props up another really good song in Dua's arsenal even if she is capable of bigger bops. Sigrid is at #72, just a place ahead, with 'Don't Feel Like Crying', proving that if a Jess Glynne song is released by someone who doesn't have Jess Glynne's voice, it is immediately better. The message really resonates with me in this one, a very smart track with hooks to be found from every corner.

• We see Charli XCX's name appear for the 2nd and 3rd time in this list too, firstly as a feature at #80 on Brazilian drag queen Pabllo Vittar's single 'Flash Pose'. The song does have a distinct feel of "if Nadia from Big Brother got a good backing behind her", but it's all such good FUN. Much like many of Charli's best tracks, it doesn't take itself very seriously and has a real replayable factor to it that really attached itself to my heart. At the other end of the spectrum, Charli appears at #71 with Sky Ferreira for 'Cross You Out' which has remained at album track status currently but after being released as a hype track ahead of her album release, this one was really hammered by me and probably stands out as the strongest non-single from the album. It's definitely not as fun as much of the album, but the thumping production mixed with how Charli & Sky's voices naturally echo together in commanding form makes this a really strong cut. Another highlight of seeing her live too, proving she doesn't necessarily need Sky to highlight what a great, mature, cancelling track this is.

• My love for the Latin sound clearly hasn't burnt out in 2019 as it has for most of the GBP. It certainly wasn't enough to serve Years & Years and MNEK a hit with 'Valentino' at the start of the year but it certainly wormed its way into my affections, appearing at #79. It's far from the strongest Years & Years have ever released but there's a real cute charm to it and the boys both seem like they're having a lot of fun on this track and it really translates. They play it a lot at work which has really boosted this but it always puts a smile on my face when I hear it and has a very strong singalong quality to make it super memorable to me. Just one place above, we say hello to Katy Perry for the first of 5 times tonight, as her feature on Daddy Yankee's 'Con Calma' ranks at #78. I didn't jump on this quite as much as a few, and it's another silly throwaway party track but it was so good to see Katy lend her vocals to something so joyous, with slightly daft lyrics and a hook that is instantly recognisable, sampling Snow's 'Informer'. The track it samples is super catchy in itself so it's not hard to see why serving itself to the already spunky Reggaeton genre is a strong match. Try staying still to this, another track I'd describe as being nothing but fun and as simple as that is, it serves me just fine!

• The last two songs to discuss fall side by side also, the first being a cut from BJSC and my favourite non-Hendinian entry of the year as 'Adios' by EVERGLOW falls at #75. K-Pop can be quite hit & miss for me but when I do latch onto it, I tend to really fall in love with it. They sure know how to go balls to the wall with a dance routine and a breakdown when they want to and this track that harps back to the big room sound that was big for the likes of Martin Garrix in 2013 is a perfect throwback for me. It makes me wish I had a ponytail to swish around as the main "goodbye, au revoir, adios" hook that crashes into a superb drop is a MOMENT and a half for me. Finally, we have another Eurovision entry at #74, as they continue to be shared out in nice measure. This time, we look towards Australian entrant Kate Miller-Heidke and her out of this world 'Zero Gravity'. Now, I must admit, it's not often I actually listen to this as a studio cut but it was a definite highlight of Eurovision season, seeing this take stage. I remember my jaw dropping and getting goosebumps watching the live performance of this on the first semi final, masterfully performing on poles floating through space. It's a Eurovision performance I'll never forget, so regardless of how much I listen to it now, I couldn't possibly miss it from my top 100 because I'll certainly be watching this every May for years to come!

+Quote this post
JackTheeStallion
post 28th January 2020, 03:02 PM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 223

Don't Feel Like Crying wub.gif My absolute fave from Sigrid.

+Quote this post
seven.
post 28th January 2020, 03:11 PM
Post #30
Group icon
i can only do one normal thing a day
User: 14,428

great to see Blinding Lights on here, will be quite high up on my year end chart despite the late release <3

shoutouts to Really Don't Like U, Don't Feel Like Crying, Have It All and the Charli tracks which are all very good!

+Quote this post
Calum
post 29th January 2020, 12:15 AM
Post #31
Group icon
nabad
User: 18,316

Hi Rob hi.gif

Great to see Don't Feel Like Crying, Swan Song, Blinding Lights and Here We Go Again all appear here - the latter is a TUNE *.*

+Quote this post
RobBot
post 29th January 2020, 12:18 AM
Post #32
Group icon

QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ Jan 23 2020, 08:53 PM) *
Love Playa Grande, such a fun summer track! Jacques is my favourite out of the recent Jax songs as well, why on earth was it the only one that wasn't pushed as a proper single sad.gif

Giving Sweet Spot a listen now, a nice pop song, it does take me back 5 or so years though!

Jacques is fab, such a good sound for the both of them, would love to hear Tove on more dance tracks!

QUOTE(JosephStyles @ Jan 25 2020, 02:59 PM) *
So Good omg *.* It really is a banger and so infectious wub.gif

Too Late for Love, Tempo and Here We Go Again are other faves so far *.*

My best suggestion for you... ever? Can't believe how much you've adopted it laugh.gif

QUOTE(Jay ☆ @ Jan 26 2020, 12:38 AM) *
Hola Rob wub.gif Sorry for the late response!

Looking back at your 2010-2018 faves first cool2.gif

The similarities we share in our taste in music is remarkable really, but what can I say, we both know we have flawless taste. *.* We have so many of the same #1s, and I literally love every song you've posted (be it your original EOY #1, or the song you favour these days).

We Found Love & Roar remain as my favourite songs from 2011/2013, but it'll probably not be surprising to you that I would swap out Starships for Girls Aloud's Something New now (but Nicki would still be as high as second... honestly, a song. That final section where it goes a bit mental is still a rush).

Your 2015 EOY #1 and your 'favourite' now are my Top 2 songs of that year! Carly edged it for me in that year, and that's still the case now. When I think of the 2010s as a whole, Run Away with Me not being a smash must be one of the greatest music injustices of that decade, if not the greatest?

Weird coincidence but Into You was also my 4th of 2016 but would consider it my favourite song of the year now! I wish Ariana Grande had had her huge 'thank u, next' moment in 2016 with Into You, because those Top 15 peaks in both the US & UK really isn't the tea for a song that incredible. Work from Home was also my actual EOY #1, but I still adore it even though I would demote it from the top nowadays. I miss girl groups being able to smash like that. sad.gif

New Rules/Anywhere are also my two 2017 faves... and I think Anywhere edges it for me these days too, even though New Rules was my EOY. Our Albanian Queens *_*

A great choice for your 2018 #1... Fuego actually reached #1 for me in my personal chart, but it had a bit of a fleeting run so it didn't end up towards the top of my end of year. Such a great song though, second to Euphoria for my favourite Eurovision songs of the 2010s.

Our taste sharing is actually ridiculous, the start of the year we shared A LOT, can't say Stretch made it to the top 100 though, sorry!

There's a lot to respond to here (what a dedicated post, thank you so much!) but the statement about Run Away With Me being the greatest music injustice... like, by a country mile. Not just the fact it flopped, but the fact so many people will still only know her for Call Me Maybe when she's actually created one of the best pop songs of the decade but it got ignored? Ugh, such frustration. Into You also feels much bigger than its peak suggested, for SURE.

May the new decade present more near identical fave sharing, though it'll be harder to log without your personal chart! R.I.P sad.gif

QUOTE(Jay ☆ @ Jan 26 2020, 12:47 AM) *
Decided to go with a second post to comment on your Top 100 of 2019 so far cool2.gif

Happy to see Hello My Love edge it into your Top 100! Easily one of my favourite songs by them ever. I wasn't too keen on them during their heyday (bitter Spice Girls fan alert x), but in the past couple of years I've warmed up to them and even the old hits I turned my nose up at have a nice nostalgic appeal to them now.

Jacques, Started, Tempo, Really don't like u and Megatron are the other songs I know and like from your 81-100, with Really don't like u being my favourite. I have to admit that it was Kylie's presence on the track which made me check it out. For some reason I've never delved into a Tove Lo album yet, even though I've liked a handful of her singles!

A great start to the chart so far, looking forward to more! cheer.gif

HA! I couldn't bring myself to budge 'Hello My Love' from my top 100 when it got down to the final few. I think my guilty love for Westlife is well documented and this was actually a really good comeback!

You are MORE than missing out by not delving into Tove's albums, I'm confident you'd like all of them tbh!

QUOTE(Jack @ Jan 28 2020, 03:02 PM) *
Don't Feel Like Crying wub.gif My absolute fave from Sigrid.

I go back to Sucker Punch most of all but Don't Feel Like Crying is definitely up there! She's got a lot of potential.

QUOTE(SevenSeize @ Jan 28 2020, 03:11 PM) *
great to see Blinding Lights on here, will be quite high up on my year end chart despite the late release <3

shoutouts to Really Don't Like U, Don't Feel Like Crying, Have It All and the Charli tracks which are all very good!

I feel like I'll look back at the end of 2020 and be outraged that I put Blinding Lights so low because it's still growing on me now, but I was trying to be reflective of 2019. A tough one with songs released so late in the year!

+Quote this post
Jason
post 29th January 2020, 08:22 PM
Post #33
Group icon
I've been looking for a Lasting Lover
User: 3,149

Zero Gravity was an amazing Eurovision 2019 entry. That performance! ohmy.gif It could have won but I don't think European people would give the 'trophy' to a country so far away from Europe. tongue.gif
By The way, you know my fave 2019 Eurovision entry. Hopefully She Got Me will be very high in this list too. biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
RobBot
post 1st February 2020, 12:41 AM
Post #34
Group icon

61-70

61 Ally Brooke (feat. Tyga) - Low Key
62 Shawn Mendes & Camila Cabello - Senorita
63 Fleur East - Favourite Thing
64 Duncan Laurence - ARCADE
65 Gryffin (feat. Carly Rae Jepsen) - OMG
66 Ava Max - So Am I
67 Ariana Grande - Bloodline
68 Lizzo (feat. Missy Elliott) - Tempo
69 Ava Max - Torn
70 Avicii (feat. Agnes) - Tough Love

• There's very little connecting this section, aside from two Ava's so we'll start there. Ava Max has all the makings of a great popstar and 'Torn' (at #69) and 'So Am I' (at #66) are two great pop songs, there's just not enough to HER to make these songs fly further than a couple of weeks of love. Never the less, a rather negative commentary for two songs I very much enjoy and it's great to hear anyone continuing to push out such pure pop with a whole heap of joy, if not personality, attached.

• We'll head up from #70 for the rest then, with Avicii making a rare appearance here. I'm not really a fan of a lot of Avicii songs that play on that whole country thing but the strong strings nature of 'Tough Love' was a big hit for me, a sound I wish I'd have heard more from him. This was a song I loved for a good few weeks and should hopefully keep Dan happy to see SOME presence! Just ahead at #68, we see an appearance from Lizzo, with a track actually released THIS YEAR, two singles ahead which were released before this year but I've allowed in due to the fact they had no impact on me prior to this year. Focusing on 'Tempo', the track in question here, it's definitely one of the highlights from her 2019 album and it's a shame it was overlooked because her & Missy seem to be having so much fun on this song and it's a real ass shaker.

• At #67, we have my favourite album track from Ariana's 'thank u, next' in the form of 'Bloodline'. The album this came from is probably my favourite album of 2019 and Bloodline was a big reason for that. Horns and Ariana are just a fantastic match every time and the poppier nature of this track compared to some of the others helped this to stand out as an immediate favourite and it's a real shame it was never pushed as a single. At #65, we see another Rob fave, as Carly Rae Jepsen makes an appearance alongside dance DJ Gryffin for the fantastic 'OMG', which came out just before I went to Brighton Pride and served as a bit of an anthem for the event. Carly's voices really does sound good on ANYTHING and she transforms what could be a throwaway dance mid-tempo bop into something that feels more magical.

• It's time for some more Eurovision at #64, in ballad form this time, as the 2019 winner 'Arcade' by Duncan Laurence finds its way here. It wasn't an immediate favourite but matched with a very pulled back performance, the haunting nature that grabbed others immediately finally struck a chord with me. A definite highlight for me and a very worthy winner, winding up as my 5th favourite of the year on this countdown. Just above this was the comeback for Fleur East with 'Favourite Thing', which didn't really have much lasting power for me after January but during that month alone, I gave it a good hammering and it definitely deserved better. Another super catchy pop track from her with a strong chorus, but no chart success was to be found, but at least it makes it to #63 for me. Small victories.

• Now I've got to the last paragraph, I realise there is a connection between two more artists here as two Fifth Harmony members find themselves back to back. Wonderfully, in my countdown, Camila isn't able to fight her way past former bandmate Ally Brooke. The Mendes/Cabello duet wound up being a social media nightmare but I can't deny that the song itself is a fantastic earworm and plays to the two artists strengths perfectly to create an obvious summer smash. Ally goes one better at #61 with 'Low Key' though, which in itself does take a lot of inspiration from Cabello's own 'Havana', but it's a good song to take inspiration from and she ran with it to create a genuinely very good track, that much like Fleur East, was a big soundtrack to the first month of the year for me, when there wasn't a great deal of new music to hammer.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 1st February 2020, 11:53 AM
Post #35
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
User: 13,530

QUOTE(RobBot @ Jan 29 2020, 12:18 AM) *
My best suggestion for you... ever? Can't believe how much you've adopted it laugh.gif

It was you who recommended Ulrik Munther to me many years ago!! I'd say that's ypur best suggestion for me, but So Good can be a close 2nd *.*

Low Key doesn't even try to hide how much of Havana rip-off it is but I still love it :') Love Senorita and Favourite Thing too heart.gif

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 6th February 2020, 11:16 AM
Post #36
Group icon

61 Ally Brooke (feat. Tyga) - Low Key
62 Shawn Mendes & Camila Cabello - Senorita
63 Fleur East - Favourite Thing
64 Duncan Laurence - ARCADE
65 Gryffin (feat. Carly Rae Jepsen) - OMG
66 Ava Max - So Am I
67 Ariana Grande - Bloodline
68 Lizzo (feat. Missy Elliott) - Tempo
69 Ava Max - Torn

What a fabulous section! *.* I only removed Avicii because I've not heard it.

Like you, 'Favourite Thing' burned out for me fairly quickly after playing it loads in January 2019, but I return to it every now and then and it still goes off! Tentatively looking forward to her album tbh (the other songs she has released since haven't done much for me, but I'm sure she has it in her to deliver a few more bops x).

Bloodline is a huge highlight from 'thank u, next', great to see it feature here.

'OMG' heart.gif Carly simply doesn't understand how to make bad songs cool2.gif

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 13th April 2020, 12:32 PM
Post #37
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

Great chart so far Rob, hope the rest is posted at some point!

A number of highlights but particular mention to Zero Gravity, which was an awe-inspiring entry from Australia, Hello My Love, which was surprisingly great, and Tough Love, which deserved much more success than the none it actually got </3

+Quote this post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 06:25 PM