BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> So, prisoners have the vote....
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
GRIMLY FIENDISH
post 2nd November 2010, 12:10 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Always wear a clean pair of knickers, cos you never know when th
User: 190

....Who cares....?

No, seriously, will it really make a difference...? When you consider about half the country doesn't even bother to vote anyway.....

And, well, let's put it this way, the political system in this country is morally bankrupt anyway - we've had the Iraq war, we've had MPs expenses, and in the past, we've had "Lord" Archer going to prison HIMSELF for perjury and lying, taking money under false pretences, soliciting prostitutes, Johnathan Aitken, another MP who went to jail.... We've got "Lord" Mandy who's as crooked as a dog's hind leg, ditto with TAX EVADER Lord Ashcroft... So, a pretty crooked bunch actually embedded into the system, what difference does it make if crooks in prison are allowed to vote...?

Actually, I think it'd be amusing - can you imagine Cameron, Clegg and Milliband on the election trail in HMP Holloway, Pentonville or Wormwood Scrubs...? laugh.gif laugh.gif I'd also be interested to see what the voting turn-out percentage turns out to be amongst the criminal element...... Wouldn't it be funny if prisoners had a higher turn out than the general public...?

Yes, indeed.... happy.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Qassändra
post 2nd November 2010, 02:31 PM
Post #2
Group icon
DROTTNING!
User: 480

I wonder what slant the Daily Wail will take on it all - the interfering Europe slant, or the 'this is gerrymandering it for Labour as they're so soft on crime' slant?

+Quote this post
Danny
post 2nd November 2010, 04:33 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 457

It's the right thing to do. It's ridiculous that someone who's locked up for 2 weeks for parking fines shouldn't get to vote in elections.

+Quote this post
Lyle
post 2nd November 2010, 05:05 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 11,686

I don't mind people like who get parking fines voting, but not murderers and peadophile.

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 2nd November 2010, 05:10 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 53

I actually think prisoners SHOULD be allowed to vote. They are Citizens after all.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 2nd November 2010, 05:14 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

It has yet to be decided which prisoners should get the vote. At the very least I suspect prisoners serving a life sentence with no chance of parole will still be deprived of the vote.

The current system is just plain daft. Someone who receives a 12-month sentence today is likely to be released around 2 May next year after serving half of their sentence. They will therefore be able to vote in the Alternative Vote referendum and, if applicable, local elections a few days later. However, someone given the same sentence for exactly the same offence next week will just miss out. Such an arbitrary system makes no sense.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 2nd November 2010, 05:20 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

I think there should be a sliding scale. Minor infractions should be allowed to vote.

Anyone who has committed a violent or serious crime shouldn't be allowed to vote imo

+Quote this post
Qassändra
post 2nd November 2010, 06:01 PM
Post #8
Group icon
DROTTNING!
User: 480

I don't see why anybody on anything less than a life sentence should not be permitted to vote - after all, these are people who are going to be expected to be reincorporated into society at some point. Prison ought to be just as much about rehabilitation as punishment - permitting them to vote shows that they are still accepted as citizens rather than being rejected completely.

+Quote this post
Soy Adrián
post 2nd November 2010, 10:10 PM
Post #9
Group icon
I'm so lonely, I paid a hobo to spoon with me
User: 10,596

Exactly how many people (or what percentage of the prison population) are inside for life? Very very few - so it's not really going to make much difference if they can vote or not. Personally I think they should, right to vote for your leaders is a human right and it's a sliding scale from depriving someone of that to depriving them of other rights - right to life for instance.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 3rd November 2010, 02:14 AM
Post #10
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455

And of course there's Bobby Sands, who was elected MP whilst he was in jail (and on hunger strike as well). He lasted less than a month, then the government changed the rule to make sure it couldn't happen again.

I'd be interested to see what political parties the prison population would vote for (I wonder if there's ever been a poll that has looked at this. I'd love to be enlightened). If as a whole they're more likely to vote for Labour, then I can see why the Conservatives would want to stop them from voting.

+Quote this post
Santa Claus™
post 6th November 2010, 10:26 AM
Post #11
Group icon
REBEL AGAINST TIRREN, HE NO SPEAK AMERICANO.
User: 10,896

I think Prisoners should have the vote, if they are in for less than a year. It only seems fair, I don't think a Murderer or Rapist deserves to vote, at all.

+Quote this post
Danny
post 10th February 2011, 08:29 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 457

MPs have voted today to keep the blanket ban on prisoners voting, defying the European Court's ruling. What happns next is unclear - because we don't have a written Constitution, it's not actually clearly set out in law whether Parliament or the European Court has the higher authority in this country.

I'm disappointed to see the Labour leadership opportunistically joining in with the Tories in supporting the ban. Personally, I'm happy with every single prisoner, bar none, having the vote: keeping a mass murderer locked up protects us by stopping him murdering people; letting him vote in elections doesn't keep us any safer. It just seems so punitive to me, not to mention anti-democratic - what's stopping a government one day theoretically locking up anyone who said they would vote for their opponents, thus depriving them of the vote?

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 10th February 2011, 09:04 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Danny @ Feb 10 2011, 08:29 PM) *
MPs have voted today to keep the blanket ban on prisoners voting, defying the European Court's ruling. What happns next is unclear - because we don't have a written Constitution, it's not actually clearly set out in law whether Parliament or the European Court has the higher authority in this country.

I'm disappointed to see the Labour leadership opportunistically joining in with the Tories in supporting the ban. Personally, I'm happy with every single prisoner, bar none, having the vote: keeping a mass murderer locked up protects us by stopping him murdering people; letting him vote in elections doesn't keep us any safer. It just seems so punitive to me, not to mention anti-democratic - what's stopping a government one day theoretically locking up anyone who said they would vote for their opponents, thus depriving them of the vote?

Precisely. Every other European country except Ireland and Liechtenstein give at least some prisoners the vote so it's not as if we are being expected to do something revolutionary. As it is, we face the prospect of the government having to pay out hundreds of millions of pounds, at least some of which will go the prisoners who have been deprived of a vote. What a total waste of taxpayers' money.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 10th February 2011, 09:06 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Queen of Soon

I think this just applies to England and Wales.

I'm sure i read something the other day about Scottish Prisoners getting the vote. We do after all have a distinct legal system and i'm sure Prisons and such like is a devolved area of government.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 10th February 2011, 09:29 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens

QUOTE(Silas @ Feb 10 2011, 03:06 PM) *
I think this just applies to England and Wales.

I'm sure i read something the other day about Scottish Prisoners getting the vote. We do after all have a distinct legal system and i'm sure Prisons and such like is a devolved area of government.

This will affect Northern Ireland and Scotland too, the BBC article seems to say so.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 10th February 2011, 09:39 PM
Post #16
Group icon
Queen of Soon

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Feb 10 2011, 09:29 PM) *
This will affect Northern Ireland and Scotland too, the BBC article seems to say so.

It's quite likely i just misread a headline.

It could have been a doom-mongering Daily Mail one about how prisoners getting the vote will kill puppies and cause cancer or something.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 10th February 2011, 10:15 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens

Does anyone know where I can see who voted for what in this motion? I'd find it interesting to see who voted on what side.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 11th February 2011, 12:09 AM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Feb 10 2011, 10:15 PM) *
Does anyone know where I can see who voted for what in this motion? I'd find it interesting to see who voted on what side.

Here

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/c...cmdebate/20.htm

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 11th February 2011, 12:35 AM
Post #19
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens

Thanks Si.

So only one Conservative MP, Peter Bottomly, actually voted against the motion. Quelle surprise.

+Quote this post
GRIMLY FIENDISH
post 11th February 2011, 01:15 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Always wear a clean pair of knickers, cos you never know when th
User: 190

..And on the day that MPs got all "moralistic" about prisoners possibly getting the vote, two former MPs are getting sent down for a bit of porridge after nicking thousands off the tax-payers.... rolleyes.gif

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 10:38 PM