BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> The Scottish Nationalists, The 3rd largest party in UK politics
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Silas
post 18th July 2015, 06:27 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

Well if the non-entities that are the LibDems can get a thread...

The social-democratic Scottish National Party are the by far the largest political party in Scotland both in terms of members and seats. Representing 56/59 Scottish Westminster seats, holding 2/6 European seats, nearly a third of Council seats and a majority at Holyrood in a system designed specifically to prevent exactly that. With over 110,000 members, and 56 MPs, the SNP are the 3rd largest party in Westminster.

So far, the SNP have forced the Fox Hunting ban to be put on ice and forced a rethink on EVEL.

In the run up to the 2016 election, where the SNP are currently polling at a previously unthinkable 60%, this can be a thread for both the Scottish and UK activities of the party. Especially given that they are currently the only effective opposition to the Tories. (Harriet backing the Tax Credit cuts is rancid)

---

Current plans from the party are for them to be going on a charm offensive across the UK to further dispel the myth that they are something to be feared (Thanks Cameron)
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 24th November 2015, 08:06 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

Independents have now become Scotland's second largest party - at Westminster anyway. Two new SNP MPs have resigned the party whip while allegations of misconduct are being investigated. That leaves Scotland with 54 SNP MPs, two independents and one each for Labour, Lib Dems and Tories.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 24th November 2015, 08:20 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

If only they'd give up this pesky insistence on breaking up the UK and field candidates in the whole uk they would prob form the next gov....

+Quote this post
Qassändra
post 24th November 2015, 08:49 PM
Post #4
Group icon
DROTTNING!
User: 480

QUOTE(popchartfreak @ Nov 24 2015, 09:20 PM) *
If only they'd give up this pesky insistence on breaking up the UK and field candidates in the whole uk they would prob form the next gov....

Did you miss that bit where the idea of the SNP holding the whip hand got English small c conservatives out in their droves to vote for big c Conservatives?

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 24th November 2015, 10:07 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Qassändra @ Nov 24 2015, 08:49 PM) *
Did you miss that bit where the idea of the SNP holding the whip hand got English small c conservatives out in their droves to vote for big c Conservatives?

well obviously they'd have to drop the "Nationalist" bit, which was the main bit that helped the Tory cause laugh.gif Of course after 5 years of Tory misery, and things are getting more and more miserable by the day, those frightened last-minute voters would probably vote for a drugged gibbon in preference to another 5 years of misery, especially when the much-promised fiscal balancing act (even if it happens) isn't going to cut mustard with scores of 20-30-40-somethings still living with their parents, unable to live independently, family members dying from "self-care" in the community, and local government services vanishing before your eyes.

I like the phrase "big c Conservatives" very much (it gives an opportunity to expand on the "c') and would like to see opposition parties use it as often as possible.... teresa.gif

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 24th November 2015, 11:03 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

It's funny how George Osbour e is so determined to save for a rainy day so our children don't have to repay our debts and yet the younger people of today and those who are asset poor are the ones suffering the most...but apparently that's all Labours fault for overspending mellow.gif

+Quote this post
Qassändra
post 24th November 2015, 11:50 PM
Post #7
Group icon
DROTTNING!

QUOTE(popchartfreak @ Nov 24 2015, 11:07 PM) *
Of course after 5 years of Tory misery, and things are getting more and more miserable by the day, those frightened last-minute voters would probably vote for a drugged gibbon in preference to another 5 years of misery, especially when the much-promised fiscal balancing act (even if it happens) isn't going to cut mustard with scores of 20-30-40-somethings still living with their parents, unable to live independently, family members dying from "self-care" in the community, and local government services vanishing before your eyes.

Bearing in mind that's exactly what was said for the last five years...

+Quote this post
Soy Adrián
post 25th November 2015, 07:37 AM
Post #8
Group icon
I'm so lonely, I paid a hobo to spoon with me
User: 10,596

QUOTE(steve201 @ Nov 24 2015, 11:03 PM) *
It's funny how George Osbour e is so determined to save for a rainy day so our children don't have to repay our debts and yet the younger people of today and those who are asset poor are the ones suffering the most...but apparently that's all Labours fault for overspending mellow.gif

Osborne's strategy is the equivalent of selling the family silver for scrap and telling every family member they have to pick two days a week not to eat and make plans for a third.

+Quote this post
Qassändra
post 25th November 2015, 08:48 AM
Post #9
Group icon
DROTTNING!

QUOTE(Soy Adrián @ Nov 25 2015, 08:37 AM) *
Osborne's strategy is the equivalent of selling the family silver for scrap and telling every family member they have to pick two days a week not to eat and make plans for a third.

BUT WE USED TO HAVE PUDDING ON SUNDAYS WE CANNOT GO BACK TO THOSE SPENDTHRIFT DAYS

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 25th November 2015, 10:44 AM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

the young people of 2008 onwards are the middle aged of the future. Looking long-term they won't forget, and the 5 years of the Coalition (who mirrored Labour Party policies on spending and cutbacks) is small fry compared to 5 years of Tories trying to re-write the welfare state. Speaking as one who lived through local government cuts in the 80's and loathed Thatcher with passion, that was a piece of piss compared to what's going on now.

In terms of young people suffering, err no old people are suffering too. My parents and grandparents generation are the lucky ones in terms of extended life expectancy and comfort in old age - until they get ill, and providing they have joined their own pension schemes and own property. That said, young people seem to forget that older generations have spent their whole lives working and paying taxes and setting up a society which has benefitted young people enormously. I mean HUGELY. There is no comparison with free education, NHS, credit for low wages, unemployment support, child support which those generations set up - young people essentially get a large contribution towards their well-being and education from the state (and that includes from people like me who have no children and get little in return), and that's only right.

That doesn't mean though that there is a right to be supported for life without putting something back into the state for the next generation. I also was unemployed for 3 years, lived with my parents, did a series of sh*tty low-paid jobs, and ended getting shafted in less-than-national-average-paid local government later in life. I do agree though that well-off older pensioners shouldn't be getting higher than inflation increases any more than anyone else.

Young people will also be old one day, and their decisions will affect future generations, just as my generation have for good and bad (my generation being New Labour generation).

+Quote this post
Qassändra
post 25th November 2015, 10:51 AM
Post #11
Group icon
DROTTNING!

QUOTE(popchartfreak @ Nov 25 2015, 11:44 AM) *
the young people of 2008 onwards are the middle aged of the future. Looking long-term they won't forget, and the 5 years of the Coalition (who mirrored Labour Party policies on spending and cutbacks) is small fry compared to 5 years of Tories trying to re-write the welfare state. Speaking as one who lived through local government cuts in the 80's and loathed Thatcher with passion, that was a piece of piss compared to what's going on now.

In terms of young people suffering, err no old people are suffering too. My parents and grandparents generation are the lucky ones in terms of extended life expectancy and comfort in old age - until they get ill, and providing they have joined their own pension schemes and own property. That said, young people seem to forget that older generations have spent their whole lives working and paying taxes and setting up a society which has benefitted young people enormously. I mean HUGELY. There is no comparison with free education, NHS, credit for low wages, unemployment support, child support which those generations set up - young people essentially get a large contribution towards their well-being and education from the state (and that includes from people like me who have no children and get little in return), and that's only right.

That doesn't mean though that there is a right to be supported for life without putting something back into the state for the next generation. I also was unemployed for 3 years, lived with my parents, did a series of sh*tty low-paid jobs, and ended getting shafted in less-than-national-average-paid local government later in life. I do agree though that well-off older pensioners shouldn't be getting higher than inflation increases any more than anyone else.

Young people will also be old one day, and their decisions will affect future generations, just as my generation have for good and bad (my generation being New Labour generation).

I think the big problem here is that millennials as a whole have far less affection for the welfare state and big government in general than those that went before.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 25th November 2015, 03:34 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Qassändra @ Nov 25 2015, 10:51 AM) *
I think the big problem here is that millennials as a whole have far less affection for the welfare state and big government in general than those that went before.

early days yet. It's easy to take things for granted when that's all you've ever known, and you're not the one with jobs, mortgages, families in need of NHS facilities. When reality bites (and it will) public opinion can shift quite dramatically from time to time....I hope!

Next test up for the Tories: Europe.

+Quote this post
Soy Adrián
post 26th November 2015, 04:14 PM
Post #13
Group icon

In a valiant attempt to overshadow Maogate, today Alex Salmond missed the Syria debate in the Commons in order to unveil a portrait of himself.

Jesus wept.

+Quote this post
Qassändra
post 26th November 2015, 04:25 PM
Post #14
Group icon
DROTTNING!

Literally everyone is acting like a hyperbolised parody of themselves at the moment

+Quote this post
Soy Adrián
post 26th November 2015, 04:40 PM
Post #15
Group icon

Farage is unusually quiet.

+Quote this post
Soy Adrián
post 30th March 2016, 12:25 PM
Post #16
Group icon

Please, tell me how left wing the SNP are.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scot...litics-35915309

+Quote this post
Silas
post 31st March 2016, 12:19 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

QUOTE(Soy Adrián @ Mar 30 2016, 01:25 PM) *
Please, tell me how left wing the SNP are.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scot...litics-35915309

Oh dear. How ever will we cope with common sense. It makes no sense to raise the tax rate if it's going to cost us money.

+Quote this post
Qassändra
post 31st March 2016, 01:29 PM
Post #18
Group icon
DROTTNING!

QUOTE(f1mad @ Mar 31 2016, 01:19 PM) *
Oh dear. How ever will we cope with common sense. It makes no sense to raise the tax rate if it's going to cost us money.

Is exactly what the Conservatives argued in 2012 to defend putting it down to 45p.

Fair enough if the Nats genuinely believe the case - it's not the hill I'd die on in their position either. But they and their supporters can fucking shut up about 'red Tories!!!' if they're going to argue it with a straight face, because that's the *exact* kind of decision that got Labour accused of being traitors.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 31st March 2016, 01:40 PM
Post #19
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

Quick question for SNP supporters: Do you ever disagree with the leadership, or is it some kind of a cult?

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 31st March 2016, 02:18 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

Seems cultish to me tbh

Still loving the oil independence bid - they'd have been completely brokeand wanting back in! laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Virginia's Walls: 31st March 2016, 10:48 PM

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 01:09 AM