BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Will confirmed for Strictly
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Sunday
post Aug 9 2016, 03:34 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 91
   No Gallery Pics

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37024094

Multi-million selling Brit Award-winning singer and actor Will Young is the second celebrity contestant to be confirmed for the brand new series of Strictly Come Dancing on BBC One.

The announcement was made this afternoon (Tuesday 9 August) on the official Strictly Come Dancing Twitter and Facebook accounts, where Will was confirmed as the second contestant taking part in the brand new series following a number of teasing tweets from him earlier in the day alluding to big news on the horizon.

“As a fan of Strictly for years, I have always imagined myself on the show, but the timing has not been right... until now! Music is my passion and the dancing I have done has always been with a microphone in hand. Now there will be no microphone or band, just me, my partner and the dance floor. Strictly is a show with fantastic live music and has an ethos of positivity and growth. I practice these two things every day, and I will try my hardest to be the best dancer possible,” said Will.

Award-winning singer songwriter Will Young was catapulted to fame after winning the inaugural UK Pop Idol contest in 2002 and since then has gone on to have not only a very successful music career but has also appeared in a number of film, stage and television productions. These include the BBC film Mrs Henderson Presents, on TV in the Marple drama The Mirror Crack'd From Side To Side, and on stage as the MC in Rufus Norris’ production of Cabaret, for which he received an Oliver award nomination.

Will is looking forward to adding to his impressive CV by joining the cast of this year’s Strictly Come Dancing.

The third confirmed contestant for Strictly Come Dancing 2016 will be revealed live on The Radio 1 Breakfast Show with Nick Grimshaw on Wednesday 10 August.

Will joins Ed Balls who was the first contestant announced for the new series of Strictly Come Dancing yesterday.

Produced by BBC Studios, Strictly Come Dancing returns to BBC One for its 14th series in September 2016
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
munchkin
post Aug 9 2016, 10:07 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 127
   No Gallery Pics

Thanks sunday - confirmed at last cheer.gif

+Quote Post
truly talented
post Aug 10 2016, 11:22 AM
Post #3
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 140
   No Gallery Pics

Thanks for starting the thread Sunday. smile.gif

+Quote Post
suggy
post Aug 10 2016, 01:50 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 85
   No Gallery Pics

Thanks Sunday. smile.gif

+Quote Post
truly talented
post Aug 10 2016, 05:49 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Who is Will Young? Everything you need to know about the Strictly 2016 contestant
The former Pop Idol winner performed on the show last year, and now he’s taking to the dancefloor.

After being heavily rumoured for a while now, it’s been announced that Will Young is heading to the ballroom.

The former Pop Idol winner has been confirmed for Strictly 2016, and ahead of the series this September, we bring you everything you need to know about Will Young…

Will Young

Occupation: Singer and actor most famous for winning Pop Idol in 2002. He was also nominated for an Olivier Award for Best Actor in a Musical after starring in Cabaret in the West End.

Fun fact: He supports a wide range of charities including Women’s Aid, Mencap, the Prince’s Trust and the WWF.

What he says about taking part in Strictly: “As a fan of Strictly for years, I have always imagined myself on the show, but the timing has not been right... until now!

"Music is my passion and the dancing I have done has always been with a microphone in hand. Now there will be no microphone or band, just me, my partner and the dance floor. Strictly is a show with fantastic live music and has an ethos of positivity and growth. I practice these two things every day, and I will try my hardest to be the best dancer possible.”

http://tv.bt.com/tv/strictly-2016/who-is-w...-11364078648861

+Quote Post
ladypenelope
post Aug 11 2016, 08:44 AM
Post #6
New Entry
Member No.: 21,567
   No Gallery Pics

There's an article in the Huffington post about Will not dancing with a male partner, but I can't post the link because I haven't got enough posts on here yet, sorry.
Not much to it, but a nice pic.

This post has been edited by ladypenelope: Aug 11 2016, 08:46 AM

+Quote Post
truly talented
post Aug 11 2016, 09:09 AM
Post #7
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Here you go Penny. Not sure why you can't post links.

Executive Editor (Entertainment), The Huffington Post UK
Will Young will not be strutting his stuff with a male dance partner on the new series of ‘Strictly Come Dancing’, it has been confirmed.

The singer, who came out as gay in 2002, was the second celeb officially announced to be taking to the ‘Strictly’ dancefloor later this year.

But the BBC confirmed the 37-year-old would be paired with a female dancer during his time in the competition, as the debate about whether same-sex couples should feature on the show continues.

In a statement, a BBC spokesperson said: “The show has chosen the traditional Latin and Ballroom format of mixed-sex couples.”

‘Strictly’ judge Craig Revel Horwood had previously said same-sex pairings were “on the cards”.

He told OK! magazine last year: “A same sex couple on Strictly – that is on the cards.

“It will either be this year, or next year, but most certainly it will happen.”

Craig added: “There are competitions throughout the world that have same sex couples – you just have to decide who goes backwards darling.”

Craig Revel Horwood previously hinted that same-sex couples would soon be making an appearance on the show.
One of the show’s former professional dancers previously revealed he had spoken to Beeb bosses about the possibility of introducing same-sex dancers.

Robin Windsor suggested that an all-male or all-female couple could compete on a one-off special in an effort to “test the waters”.

“I spoke to producers about having a same-sex couple competing,” Robin told the Daily Star.

“I’m not sure if the British public are ready for it on the main show, but I think it would be a good idea to do it on a Children In Need special or the Christmas show.

“It would be a good way to test the waters. Then, if the public love it, why not go all out and do it for a full series? I’m up for anything.”

But James Jordan, another of the show’s former professional dancers, disagreed, saying the show would “lose so many viewers” if same-sex couples were introduced.

“I have nothing against same-sex couples, if they want to go and do their own competitions,” James said. “But ballroom and Latin dancing is about a man dancing with a woman – that’s fact”.

Despite never having a same-sex couple on the show, ‘Strictly has previously featured two men dancing together for a one-off routine when professionals Robin Windsor and Aljaž Skorjanec took to the floor together in 2014.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/will...ly-come-dancing

This post has been edited by truly talented: Aug 11 2016, 09:11 AM

+Quote Post
dizzydzin
post Aug 11 2016, 09:37 AM
Post #8
New Entry
Member No.: 14,393
   No Gallery Pics

All the tweets about Will not dancing with a male partner are getting on my nerves. The headlines imply that it's Will that wanted a same sex partner, which isn't the case at all.
It's Craig Revel Horwood who has put the 'cat amongst the pigeons'.

In my opinion, there are so many dances that need the sway and use of skirts in a dance, the Paso Doble, for example. Surely they wouldn't want the male partner to go in drag.
It will be hard enough for Will to learn all these new dances, never mind doing them in heels especially with his big feet... laugh.gif

Luv.Diz.X.

+Quote Post
Roma
post Aug 11 2016, 10:02 AM
Post #9
BuzzJack Climber
Member No.: 20,389
   No Gallery Pics

True Diz, but as Will has been involved with LBGT Politics, I imagine that campaigners found it an irresistible opportunity to make a point.
I am highly relieved that Will will be dancing with a female, as I want him to have as long a run as possible on the programme. The majority of the Strictly audience are probably on the conservative side, so I suspect that alternative arrangements would not have been too popular.

+Quote Post
dizzydzin
post Aug 11 2016, 02:58 PM
Post #10
New Entry
   No Gallery Pics

There are same sex ballroom dancing competitions. I've found a Youtube here.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoM0Hce8LxY

I think it's good to have these competitions, but 'Strictly' is for all contestants and I think this should remain.
We've had so many gay contestants on the programme already, who stick to the format, and this obviously includes the professional male dancers as well.

I enjoy the 'traditional' dancing and I agree, Roma, 'Strictly' would lose a majority of it's viewing public if it changed.

Luv.Diz.X.

+Quote Post
dizzydzin
post Aug 11 2016, 03:11 PM
Post #11
New Entry
   No Gallery Pics

I mean ... Look how good Will looks in this pose.... wub.gif

Luv.Diz.X.

+Quote Post
truly talented
post Aug 23 2016, 10:22 AM
Post #12
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Will Young

Friday's Child is coming to Saturday night

Profession
Singer and actor

As the first ever winner of Pop Idol, he’s already reality royalty. So we’re delighted to roll out the red carpet for singer-songwriter Will Young!

I haven’t done any preparation, apart from eating a large bar of chocolate every night. I am trying to store up my sugar supplies

Having won two Brits and two Ivor Novellos, he'll be hoping to clear some room on the mantelpiece for the Glitterball trophy. And he cites some fellow popstars as his Strictly inspiration…

“I really liked Emma Bunton, and enjoyed watching her excel on the show,” says Will. “I thought last year’s winner Jay was so beautiful to watch, and to see his confidence grow week in week out was brilliant.”

With six studio albums under his belt – all of which have reached the Top 2 – Will’s clearly got the music side of things down to a fine art. And while he’s not exactly known for pairing his hits with an energetic dance routine, Will does have a twinkle-toed side.

He did a term at musical theatre college, which he put into practice when he took on the role of Emcee in the West End production of Cabaret in 2013, earning himself an Olivier nomination in the process. Will has also taken ballet lessons, so we might find he’s just as comfortable holding a dance partner as he is holding a microphone.

Previous jobs include waiting tables, which means Will should have a good sense of balance. And as a politics graduate, he knows a thing or two about spin. In fact, he’s ready to use those silver-tongued skills on the judges: “I have heard that they are open to bribery! I am a little nervous about what Craig will say and I have started to learn Italian, so I can talk to Bruno in his mother tongue!”

Mind you, this is the same man who famously out-sassed Simon Cowell. Is diplomacy really his strong point, or will he have to rely solely on his dancing skills? We’ll soon find out…

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/profiles/2...qlHk/will-young

+Quote Post
truly talented
post Aug 23 2016, 01:15 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Louise Redknapp SCD
‏@Louise_R_SCD
@LouiseRedknapp, @Tameka_Empson, @daisylowe and @willyoung Strictly photo shoot Via @bbcstrictly

+Quote Post
truly talented
post Aug 26 2016, 05:26 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Training has started. smile.gif

+Quote Post
truly talented
post Aug 31 2016, 07:42 AM
Post #15
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Photos from the Strictly launch.

+Quote Post
truly talented
post Aug 31 2016, 07:53 AM
Post #16
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Great write up for Will in the Mail from which many of the above pics were taken.

Will Young shuns sequins and see-through dance gear for a sharp 1920s-inspired suit for the Strictly red carpet launch
By BECKY FREETH FOR MAILONLINE
PUBLISHED: 01:35, 31 August 2016 | UPDATED: 01:54, 31 August 2016

Will Young may have had a glittering pop career in the early Noughties, but he was opting for a more mature look when he returned to the limelight as a Strictly star on Tuesday.
The handsome former Pop Idol winner shunned sequins and see-through dancewear, opting for a classic, 1920s-style suit.
Will, 37, walked in on the arm of two very lovely ladies - fellow contestants Louise Redknapp and Naga Munchetty - as he prepared to launch his bid for Strictly Come Dancing glory in 2016.

The trio walked in quick step, proving that their timing was on-point as they arrived with the other 2016 crop of contestants.

Will couldn't hide his delight and shot his toothy, cheeky chappy grin to the studio audience as glitter fell down at their feet.
Oozing an effortless air of cool, Will dressed in a double breasted jacket and a pair of retro shoes, worn without socks.
Cool as a cucumber: Will cuts a slick figure in charcoal, bringing the look right back up to date

All smiles: Will couldn't keep his cheeky grin off his chops as he waltzed down the red carpet
He made the smooth move to avoid excess glitter, instead plumping for a simple line of silver studs on his collar and along the button holes of his white shirt.
Will also capped off the image with a rugged, unshaven image, which was far from the look of a squeaky-clean twenty-something that first appeared on our screens in 2001.
As well as his impressive vocal talents, Will has previously admitted that his love of dancing keeps him in good shape.

All in quick step: The trio walked in sync with one another, flashing delighted smiles
On announcing his part in the competition earlier this month, he said: 'As a fan of Strictly for years, I have always imagined myself on the show, but the timing has not been right... until now!'
He continued: 'Music is my passion and the dancing I have done has always been with a microphone in hand. Now there will be no microphone or band, just me, my partner and the dance floor.
'Strictly is a show with fantastic live music and has an ethos of positivity and growth. I practice these two things every day, and I will try my hardest to be the best dancer possible.'
Razzle dazzle em: With enough sequins to light up a room, the trio were positively glowing

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/artic...pet-launch.html

+Quote Post
munchkin
post Aug 31 2016, 12:13 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Thanks TT- can't wait w00t.gif

+Quote Post
munchkin
post Sep 3 2016, 10:44 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Will is going to partner Karen Clifton.... cheer.gif

https://twitter.com/karen_hauer/status/7721...4580868/photo/1

+Quote Post
munchkin
post Sep 3 2016, 11:42 PM
Post #19
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

"She's a bit clingy but I think we'll work on that" tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Roma
post Sep 4 2016, 09:42 AM
Post #20
BuzzJack Climber
Member No.: 20,389
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(munchkin @ Sep 4 2016, 12:42 AM) *
"She's a bit clingy but I think we'll work on that" tongue.gif

Who can blame her for clinging on to Will.
rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:03 PM