BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Songs that 'lost the battle but won the war', #2s bigger than the #1s they lost to
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
danG
post Jun 6 2019, 07:32 PM
Post #1
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
OCC have done an article on this topic but can you think of any other examples? ohmy.gif Sales figures have been given for some songs too.

Oasis vs. Blur, The Sex Pistols vs. Rod Stewart, Bob The Builder vs. Eminem… when two popular songs are battling for Number 1 on the Official Singles Chart in the same week, someone inevitably has to settle for second place.

The story doesn’t have to end there, though. Just because a single lost out on a big chart battle, it doesn’t mean it hasn’t been more popular in the long run. Below are songs that turned the tables on their chart rivals: they may have lost out on the Number 1, but they ended up shifting more overall.

Mariah Carey vs East 17
Now we're kicking things off with a biggie. Missing out on Christmas Number 1 in 1994 to East 17's Stay Another Day was a tough hand to be dealt for Mariah Carey's All I Want For Christmas Is You. To add insult to injury, she’s been pipped to the post twice more, in 2017 and 2018. There's a saving grace for Mariah however.

In the near quarter of a century since Mimi blessed us with her festive bop, the song has amassed 712,000 more downloads than Stay Another Day, and has been streamed a whopping 76 million more times. Overall, All I Want For Christmas Is You's combined sales stand at 2.19 million compared to Stay Another Day's 1.10 million.

Katy Perry vs Olly Murs and Alexandra Burke
It's two for the price of one for Katy Perry as her 2010 single Teenage Dream has turned the tables on the two singles that beat it to Number 1 during its two-week stint at Number 2.

Katy's summer smash was released the same week as Olly Murs' debut single Please Don't Let Me Go, with Olly's highly-anticipated track scoring sales of 93,239 to the 86,042 achieved by Katy. The following week, Alexandra Burke's Start Without You romped to Number 1 with sales of 73,306, keeping Katy at bay on 61,835.

Katy said in the song to "never look back" but she'll be glad we have. Teenage Dream is now BRIT Certified Platinum with 781,000 combined sales while Please Don't Let Me Go is on 487,000, with Start Without You managing 312,000.

Taylor Swift vs Kelly Clarkson
Our lives really would suck without Kelly Clarkson having her only UK Number 1, although we imagine Taylor wasn't so pleased that Love Story missed out; she would have to wait another eight years to bag her first chart topper on the Official Singles Chart.

My Life Would Suck Without You charged to the top spot, with a lead of nearly 18,000 sales, although Taylor did score her first Top 10 hit in the process, so it's not all bad news. It gets even better for Taylor too. Since 2009, her Shakespeare-inspired single has been downloaded 712,000 times to Kelly's 400,000. Swifty sweeps up on streams too: Love Story's 56.3m swallows My Life's 18.3m.

George Michael vs Gary Barlow
Gary Barlow's second Number 1 single Love Won't Wait raced out of the blocks in May 1997, claiming the top spot with 92,027 sales. George Michael debuted at Number 2 with Star People '97 on 83,937. As of May 2019, Star People has two million more streams and a lead of 2,000 downloads and is now a bigger hit overall.

Another silver lining stat for George was that Star People is one of six Top 3 singles on his album Older, one of only three albums in UK chart history to achieve this.

Corinne Bailey Rae vs Madonna
Corinne Bailey Rae's vinyl revival bop Put Your Records On was a new entry in at Number 2 in February 2006, 10,000 CD and download sales behind Madonna's Sorry. But fast forward 13 years and the tide has turned. Corinne's bridesmaid hit has now sold 70,701 more downloads while it's streaming figure of 40.5 million swamps the 3.4 million achieved to date by Madge's 12th chart topper. Overall, Put Your Records On is BRIT Certified Platinum with combined sales of 656,000.

Justin Timberlake vs t.A.T.u.
All The Things She Said was definitely running through JT's head in 2003 as his second single Cry Me A River was stuck behind t.A.T.u.'s headline-grabber for two non-consecutive weeks. Justin will be crying tears of joy now (maybe) knowing that his breakup track now has 54.7m streams, 33 million more than the Russian duo's Number 1 hit in the UK. JT has a 104,000 lead on downloads, too.

S Club 7 vs Sonique
S Club 7's Reach has been a staple of school leavers' assemblies over the years, an effect that has led to it just overtaking its chart rival of three weeks, It Feels So Good by Sonique.

Sonique's club anthem debuted at Number 1 with over 70,000 sales more than S Club, keeping them firmly in the runner-up slot for three consecutive weeks. However, while Sonique still leads on CD sales and downloads, S Club's 10 million lead on streaming means Reach is now a bigger hit by 85 combined chart sales.

Maroon 5 vs Example, Pixie Lott, One Direction, Dappy and Sak Noel
Try saying that aloud three times at speed. Moves Like Jagger really does have a unique chart history. The song holds the record for the most weeks (7) at Number 2 without ever reaching the top spot, being held back by six different songs that debuted at Number 1 ahead of it: Example's Stay Awake, All About Tonight by Pixie Lott, One Direction's What Makes You Beautiful, No Regrets from Dappy, Sak Noel's Loca People and We Found Love by Rihanna & Calvin Harris.

Impressively, the smash hit featuring Christina Aguilera has now sold more than all of them. Moves Like Jagger has paid-for sales of 1.54 million, over five times that of Example and Sak Noel and three times of Pixie and Dappy. Even more remarkable is that One Direction's debut single is also a million seller, yet falls short of Moves Like Jagger.

Moves Like Jagger also has more paid-for sales than We Found Love, but with 15 million extra streams to its name, the latter is still a bigger hit, just, leaving Maroon 5 trailing by 32,700 combined sales. Looks like there's one more table to turn.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
paulgilb
post Jun 6 2019, 09:55 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 55
Puretone - Addicted To Bass vs Aaliyah - More Than A Woman
John Legend - All Of Me vs Aloe Blacc - The Man
Rihanna - Unfaithful vs McFly - Don't Stop Me Now/Please Please
Ellie Goulding - Your Song vs X Factor Finalists 2010 - Heroes

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Jun 6 2019, 09:59 PM
Post #3
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232
Has Rule the World outsold Bleeding Love yet? They were both a huge top 2, but the former had much more staying power.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Jun 6 2019, 10:00 PM
Post #4
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
What about Leona - Bleeding Love vs Take That - Rule The World? Or is Leona still (surprisingly) ahead?

Edit. Boo you Chez ��

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Jun 6 2019, 10:01 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472
QUOTE(Chez Wombat @ Jun 6 2019, 10:59 PM) *
Has Rule the World outsold Bleeding Love yet? They were both a huge top 2, but the former had much more staying power.

'Bleeding Love' still has a 300k lead on 'Rule the World'.

+Quote this post
danG
post Jun 6 2019, 10:07 PM
Post #6
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
Doesn't Bleeding Love outsell Rule the World on a yearly basis now anyway, due to it having bigger streams?

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post Jun 6 2019, 10:13 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053
"What battle? It's incredibly conclusive that MAGIC! will be #1 this week whether anyone likes or wants to accept it".

Well they weren't but they sure won the war.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post Jun 6 2019, 10:15 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053
And btw I know MAGIC! were #1 after but this thread reminded me of that

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post Jun 6 2019, 11:01 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116
I don’t know if it’s due to my age anything but I definitely hear Bleeding Love more than I do Rule The World.

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post Jun 6 2019, 11:08 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,961
Vienna by Ultravox was the fifth best selling single of 1981,ahead of Shaddap You Face by Joe Dolce Music Theatre.

+Quote this post
Robbie
post Jun 6 2019, 11:24 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 366
A slight OCC error. As well as 'Moves Like Jagger', 'I Swear' by All-4-One also spent 7 weeks consecutive weeks at number 2 without reaching number 1.

Another number 2 single that outsold number 1 hits:

'Better Off Alone' - DJ Jurgen Presents Alice Deejay spent 3 weeks at number 2 behind three singles in August 1999 and outsold each of them ('When You Say Nothing At All' by Ronan Keating, 'If I Let You Go' by Westlife and 'My Chico Latino' by Geri Halliwell).

+Quote this post
Robbie
post Jun 6 2019, 11:27 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 366
QUOTE(King Rollo @ Jun 7 2019, 12:08 AM) *
Vienna by Ultravox was the fifth best selling single of 1981,ahead of Shaddap You Face by Joe Dolce Music Theatre.
Plus 'Vienna' also outsold 'Woman' by John Lennon which also kept it from the top.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Jun 7 2019, 12:03 AM
Post #13
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
User: 5,042
Eminem & Rihanna - Love The Way You Lie - it was the year's biggest selling single and spent 4 weeks at #2! These were the #1's at the time:

Yolanda Be Cool - We No Speak Americano
Flo-Rida - Club Can't Handle Me
Roll Deep - Green Light
Taio Cruz - Dynamite

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post Jun 7 2019, 04:02 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Jord
Was P!nk / Nate Ruess Just Give Me A Reason #2 when PJ and Duncan went to #1 with Let’s Get Ready To Rhumble following Saturday Night Takeaway.

If so I think P!nks definitely outsold now.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post Jun 7 2019, 05:05 PM
Post #15
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915
Nickelback's 'Rockstar ' probably over Duffy's 'Mercy'.

+Quote this post
Dircadirca
post Jun 7 2019, 05:09 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 19,614
I'm guessing it's a long way away, but there's no way Pulp's "Common People" isn't catching up to Robson & Jerome, so I wonder if it can overtake them before the heat death of the universe.

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post Jun 7 2019, 11:27 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Jord
QUOTE(Jonjo @ Jun 7 2019, 01:03 AM) *
Eminem & Rihanna - Love The Way You Lie - it was the year's biggest selling single and spent 4 weeks at #2! These were the #1's at the time:

Yolanda Be Cool - We No Speak Americano
Flo-Rida - Club Can't Handle Me
Roll Deep - Green Light
Taio Cruz - Dynamite

Green Light is surely one of the most forgettable #1s of this decade still can’t believe Love The Way You Lie never managed a week at #1 in UK. But yeah it’s definitely outsold all of those fairly substantially.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Jun 8 2019, 12:50 AM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845
QUOTE(Chez Wombat @ Jun 6 2019, 10:59 PM) *

Huge shame they clashed as both were huge hits. Rule the world feels like a number 1 as it's also sold more than most of their songs that actually made number 1.

+Quote this post
Seinfeld
post Jun 8 2019, 02:33 AM
Post #19
Group icon
Is anyone here a marine biologist?
User: 10,505
Whistle sold more than Call My Name and Sing.

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post Jun 8 2019, 07:30 AM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,275
There are too many #2 peaking singles that have been more popular than the songs they lost against on one week LMAO

And Mr. Brightside by The Killers won quite a lot of wars (peaking #10 but being certified double platinum).

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 04:47 AM