BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> X @ X ● The Album
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post Nov 30 2017, 08:54 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

It's 10 years since the release of X, Kylie's 10th studio album. Originally titled Magnetic Electric, the title was changed as fans were referring to it as 'Album X' during the production period, in reference to the album being Kylie's 10th, and seemed like an appropriate, celebratory title to mark Kylie's return to music. It's also been noted that the album shares the same title as INXS' 1990 album, which features the song 'Suicide Blonde' (written about Kylie), and was released 10 years to the week since Michael Hutchence's death.

During her recovery from cancer treatment, Kylie started the initial writing process by jotting down lyrics, influenced by both doubts and aspirations for the future. The project was paused for the resumption of the newly titled Showgirl: The Homecoming Tour but truly went underway once the tour was completed. Demand to work with Kylie was high, particularly after Parlophone's A&R sent out briefs to various artists, writers and producers of various notability. The music produced was largely electro pop, but influences of rock, R&B and disco can be heard too. It was a sound that was generally praised by critics and most agreed it was a triumphant return to the pop scene, with the commercial success supporting this.

Today, X remains one of the most loved Kylie albums by fans, with even the songs that didn't make the final cut considered among her best. As X reaches its 10th anniversary, let's celebrate this mighty album, bursting with innovative, energetic music that carries the same passionate, refreshed spirit Kylie injected into making it.

Tracking List
01. 2 Hearts
02. Like a Drug
03. In My Arms
04. Speakerphone
05. Sensitized
06. Heart Beat Rock
07. The One
08. No More Rain
09. All I See
10. Stars
11. Wow
12. Nu-Di-Ty
13. Cosmic
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Red Blooded Man
post Dec 1 2017, 06:41 AM
Post #2
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 822
   No Gallery Pics

I have a mixed feeling about the album. The first half of the album is amazing but the second half sounds like b-side fillers except WOW and Stars.

Some other tracks should've been included, like Lose Control and Magnetic Electric.

It's still mind-boggling why Nu-di-ty and Cosmic were included, they sound like unfinished demos.

The megamix released prior to the album release sounds amazing.

This post has been edited by Red Blooded Man: Dec 1 2017, 07:44 AM

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Dec 3 2017, 02:04 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Idol

This album, even in its final form, ranks as one of my favourites from Kylie. You can tell she was buzzing with ideas after not being in the studio for so long and created some fresh and sophisticated pop music alongside the happy, playful songs. There is a little bit of filler but even then I enjoy them - the problem lies more with the standard of the songs that were left off the album. Songs like 'Wow' B-sides, 'I Don't Know What It Is' and 'Magnetic Electric' are fantastic and it's such a shame they didn't make it to the final tracking list. Parlophone should have released an X: 10th Anniversary edition and added a disc of bonus content!

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post Dec 3 2017, 08:57 PM
Post #4
Break the tension
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

I still remember buying the Deluxe edition of it on release day, 10 years seems mental.

I look back on the era fondly, the album has some gems but I really think had the likes of Rippin' Up The Disco, Fall For You, Magnetic Electric, Do It Again etc. been included on the tracklist over deadwood like Heart Beat Rock, All I See, Cosmic etc. it'd have been a more perfect, cohesive collection. Still a fab album though, just wish more thought would have been given to the tracklist.

+Quote Post
Red Blooded Man
post Dec 5 2017, 06:41 AM
Post #5
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

I have to say the much of artwork from X era is pretty awful.

My track list:
01. 2 Hearts
02. Like a Drug
03. In My Arms
04. Speakerphone
05. Sensitized
06. Lose Control
07. The One
08. No More Rain
09. Fall For You
10. Stars
11. Wow
12. Rippin' Up the Disco
13. King or Queen

This post has been edited by Red Blooded Man: Dec 5 2017, 06:44 AM

+Quote Post
HerbieHollywood
post Dec 5 2017, 06:53 AM
Post #6
BuzzJack Climber
Member No.: 12,436
   No Gallery Pics

I agree about the artwork. I know it sounds superficial but I can’t think of x without thinking how much I hate the cover and her looks in the videos.

I’m in the camp that doesn’t like two hearts either so this also set a bum note from the outset. But I agree many of the other tracks are sublime. I will never understand why the one failed to fire. It was a turning point as from then on it seemed kylie was no longe guaranteed hits, no matter how good the material.

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Dec 5 2017, 04:09 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Idol

Here is the list of all songs from the X Sessions (to my knowledge at least). I've not included earlier demos, neither for those that actually made the final tracking list or for those that remained off the album (there were two versions of 'Fall For You', for instance).

Album Songs
2 Hearts
All I See
Cosmic
Heart Beat Rock
In My Arms
Like a Drug
No More Rain
Nu Di Ty
Sensitized
Speakerphone
Stars
The One
Wow

Bonus Tracks / B-sides
Carried Away
Cherry Bomb
Do It Again
I Don't Know What It Is
King or Queen
Love is the Drug (Roxy Cover)
Magnetic Electric
Rippin' Up the Disco
White Diamond

Unreleased / Demos (sung by Kylie)
Acid Min
Boombox
Classical Transit
Come Down
Down Down
Everything I Know
Extraordinary Day
Fall For You
Guess
I Am Ready
I Can't Help That
I'm in the Mood for Love
Like Love (Hold On)
Lose Control
My Love is Real
Ooh
Osmondosis
Right Here, Right Now (Thing Called Love)
Ruffle My Feathers (Everlasting Love)
Sexual Gold
Simple Boy
So Safe (Love Attack)
Something 2 Believe In
Spell of Desire
What's It Gonna Take
When the Song Comes On
You're Hot

Demos (sung by other artists)
Can't Get Enough
Excuse My French
Give Up To Love
Never Be Lonely
One to One
To the 9's
When the Cat's Away
You Make Me Feel

Other
Boys Boys Boys (Cathy Dennis, Mark Ronson)
Deepest Blue (Karen Poole, Greg Kurstin)
Flower - live version, later recorded for The Abbey Road Sessions
Hush Hush (Steven Anderson) - this could be 'Sexual Gold'
Singing in My Sleep (Scissor Sisters)
Tell It Like It Is (Richard Stannard, Stuart Crichton)
That's Why They Write Love Songs - live version

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post Dec 5 2017, 10:55 PM
Post #8
Break the tension
Member No.: 51

QUOTE(HerbieHollywood @ Dec 5 2017, 06:53 AM) *
I will never understand why the one failed to fire. It was a turning point as from then on it seemed kylie was no longe guaranteed hits, no matter how good the material.

Because they cancelled the physical single at the last minute, and in 2008 as a 4th single from the album she pretty much solely relied on those.

+Quote Post
Red Blooded Man
post Dec 6 2017, 01:18 AM
Post #9
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Tawdry Hepburn @ Dec 6 2017, 06:55 AM) *
Because they cancelled the physical single at the last minute, and in 2008 as a 4th single from the album she pretty much solely relied on those.

Sounds like the dumbest move I've ever heard...

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Dec 8 2017, 02:10 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Idol

Yep, such a shame about the cancelled physical release. Probably wouldn't have given it that much longevity, not without promo at least, but physicals could easily have boosted the song into the Top 20 for a week. For a song that is so fondly regarded by fans, a Top 20 peak would have been much more reflective of that. There doesn't seem to be any particular reason given as to why the physical was cancelled.

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Dec 28 2017, 11:58 AM
Post #11
BuzzJack Idol

I've only just realised but, as well as the mess of the release of 'The One', Kylie was pushing three singles at once back in Q1 2008: the videos for 'Wow' and 'In My Arms' were both released at the tail end of January, with 'Wow' pushed in Australia and the UK and 'In My Arms' pushed in various European countries in February, then 'All I See' was promoted in the US. I didn't realise just how messy it was! Perhaps 'In My Arms' would have fared better in the UK if its release wasn't dampened by being promoted elsewhere in the world a couple of months earlier.

+Quote Post
slowdown73
post Dec 29 2017, 12:24 AM
Post #12
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 1,031
   No Gallery Pics

I actually liked the album cover but as an album, x is a very mixed affair for me. There are a handful of strong songs - it was criminal though to overlook the release of like a drug as a single and leaving the one until the 4th single - it should have been released earlier & supported by a physical release and better video. X contains quite a few mediocre songs including no more rain, sensitised, all I see and in my arms. It also includes the dreadful nu-di-ty and boring lifeless song speakerphone.

There are a number of songs which didn’t make the album which are far stronger than some of the album tracks. Lose control, white diamond, spell of desire, magnetic electric, I’m ready and I’m in the mood for love were all great tracks. At least magnetic electric appeared on the Asian reissue CD.

In my view, they tried to experiment with too many different styles and the end result is a mix mash of songs which aren’t fluid together or consistent in quality. Some of the tracks sounded dated and less credible and innovative than her earlier parlophone albums like light years.

This post has been edited by slowdown73: Dec 29 2017, 12:27 AM

+Quote Post
Sempachorra
post Dec 30 2017, 12:03 AM
Post #13
Let's Go Brandon
Member No.: 421

Speakerphone, Wow, Stars and Nu-Di-Ty were my jams back then.

+Quote Post
Regina
post Dec 30 2017, 12:08 AM
Post #14
Raining Shitter
Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,572

Pretty sure Boombox is a Body Language era song and Everything I Know is from the same time as I Believe In You.

+Quote Post
spiceboy
post Dec 30 2017, 02:13 AM
Post #15
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 39,568
   No Gallery Pics

I really like this album bar a few songs (Nu-di-ty and Cosmic wtf?).

I loved the artworks, it was all very different Kylie, yet very Kylie at the same time. I thought it was a really triumphant return for her, just a shame she didn't manage to get a #1 single out of it, that would have been the cherry on the top of the cake.

I as originally quite meh with the album title, I loved 'Heartbeat Rock' as a potential title, and I quite like Magnetic Electric too. However once I understood the reasoning I thought it was actually quite an apt title really.

+Quote Post
Padamic Tension
post Dec 30 2017, 02:58 AM
Post #16
BuzzJack Idol
Member No.: 845
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(slowdown73 @ Dec 29 2017, 12:24 AM) *
I actually liked the album cover but as an album, x is a very mixed affair for me. There are a handful of strong songs - it was criminal though to overlook the release of like a drug as a single and leaving the one until the 4th single - it should have been released earlier & supported by a physical release and better video. X contains quite a few mediocre songs including no more rain, sensitised, all I see and in my arms. It also includes the dreadful nu-di-ty and boring lifeless song speakerphone.

There are a number of songs which didn’t make the album which are far stronger than some of the album tracks. Lose control, white diamond, spell of desire, magnetic electric, I’m ready and I’m in the mood for love were all great tracks. At least magnetic electric appeared on the Asian reissue CD.

In my view, they tried to experiment with too many different styles and the end result is a mix mash of songs which aren’t fluid together or consistent in quality. Some of the tracks sounded dated and less credible and innovative than her earlier parlophone albums like light years.

I couldnt agree more.

+Quote Post
Hide&Seek
post Dec 30 2017, 04:48 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 3,500
   No Gallery Pics

I didn't know that Excuse My French & When The Cat's Away are someone else's voice . blush.gif All this time I've been enjoying them as if they were Kylie.
I'll still enjoy them, but..... nocheer.gif

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Dec 31 2017, 02:02 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(Spiceboy @ Dec 30 2017, 02:13 AM) *
I loved the artworks, it was all very different Kylie, yet very Kylie at the same time. I thought it was a really triumphant return for her, just a shame she didn't manage to get a #1 single out of it, that would have been the cherry on the top of the cake.

I love a lot of the styling from this era. She seemed to experiment a lot more than she has done in the past or since and it just makes the X era that bit more special and unique. I always thought she was channelling a Bowie-esque image in the album cover, plus I really love those bouncy curls she has in the '2 Hearts' video.

QUOTE(Regina @ Dec 30 2017, 12:08 AM) *
Pretty sure Boombox is a Body Language era song and Everything I Know is from the same time as I Believe In You.

Think you could be right, I just went with what the uploader said tbh. 'Boombox' does sound very Body Language actually.

QUOTE(Hide&Seek @ Dec 30 2017, 04:48 PM) *
I didn't know that Excuse My French & When The Cat's Away are someone else's voice . blush.gif All this time I've been enjoying them as if they were Kylie.
I'll still enjoy them, but..... nocheer.gif

Tbf the demo singer has got Kylie's style down to a tee.

+Quote Post
Nina West
post May 3 2018, 05:43 PM
Post #19
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
Member No.: 19,846
   No Gallery Pics

I made my own version of X, I've changed it a few times over the years, but now I think I've come up with a tracklist that I am happy with, and would like to see what everybody else thinks =

01. 2 Hearts
02. Like A Drug
03. In My Arms
04. Speakerphone
05. Magnetic Electric *
06. Sexual Gold *
07. The One
08. Cherry Bomb *
09. Lose Control *
10. Rippin' Up The Disco *
11. Wow
12. Fall For You *
13. No More Rain
14. Stars

Deluxe Edition
15. Ruffle My Feathers *
16. White Diamond *

I have scrapped 'Sensitized', 'Heart Beat Rock', 'All I See', 'Cosmic' & 'Nu-Di-Ty', not saying that they're all bad (apart from the last 2), but to be honest I think the first 2 are more b-side material and 'AIS' doesn't belong on the album at all.

I've tried not to make too overlong as there are several unreleased tracks that are amazing, and it took me forever to come up with a condensed tracklist. 14 for the standard edition is enough and added another 2 for the deluxe edition and I know not all of them are cohesive, however keeping a few personal moments such as 'NMR' & 'Stars' and including 'WD' Is just a nice little touch in my opinion and offers a break from the uptempo electro bangers.

+Quote Post
blacksquare
post May 3 2018, 06:15 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 23,471
   No Gallery Pics

What are we thinking about Two Hearts ten years on?

Always seemed like such a misfire, especially with In My Arms and Wow sitting right there. They then suffered from messy releases and being held back.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:27 PM