BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
68 Pages V  « < 64 65 66 67 68 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> King Rollo's Top 1000 Songs Of All Time, Completed
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
King Rollo
post 25th November 2018, 08:17 PM
Post #1301
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,961

27. Awaken - Yes (1977)

Like the time I ran away
Turned around and you were standing close to me

A sixteen minute song from Yes' number 1 album 'Going For The One'. It's a prog rock masterpiece with all five members of the band making great contributions. Jon Anderson has said it's the best song the group recorded. The part from 10.30 to 13.30 with Jon being backed by a choir of Swiss female singers is heavenly. The track was recorded in Montreux with Rick Wakeman's organ parts played at a church in nearby Vevey.

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 25th November 2018, 08:31 PM
Post #1302
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308

Two Tribes is fantastic, definitely one of my favourite tracks of the 80s. The production is very energetic and dancey for the time and and very dramatic too.

Awaken I have heard before on one of my parents' CDs and my favourite bit is from 1:33 to 4:43 which is the catchiest bit of the song of course, I love the Far Eastern sounding guitar and the dramatic sounding vocal in it!

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 25th November 2018, 08:41 PM
Post #1303
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Indeed,Steve Howe's guitar parts on that song are very good.

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 26th November 2018, 07:24 PM
Post #1304
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

26. In The Backseat - Arcade Fire (2004)

My family tree's
Losing all its leaves

The ninth and final song on my chart by Arcade Fire. Of those nine,two of the top three are sung by their occasional lead singer,Regine Chassagne. Maybe she she should sing more of their songs,she sings this one beautifully and with great emotion which is understandable considering it's about her mother who died in a car crash in 1999. I like the lyrics about sitting in the backseat of your parents' car,not having to say anything,looking out of the window or falling asleep. This peaceful bliss is shattered when her mother dies and taking more responsibilty is compared to having to learn to drive. The lovely piano chords,strings,brass and guitars all add to the narrative.

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 27th November 2018, 09:29 PM
Post #1305
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

25. Shangri-La - Electric Light Orchestra (1976)

My Shangri-La has gone away
Faded like the Beatles on Hey Jude

A wonderful ballad from the 'A New World Record' album. The outro from 3.40 to the end of the song is truly stunning with Jeff Lynne's echoed vocal,the opera singer,the choir,Bev Bevan's heavy drum sound and the strings all coming together perfectly. Lyrically,this is one of many of Jeff's "rain" songs.

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 28th November 2018, 07:34 PM
Post #1306
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

24. Vienna - Ultravox (1980)

Haunting notes,pizzicato strings
The rhythm is calling
Alone in the night as the daylight brings
A cool empty silence

My favourite Ultravox song turns out to be the one you might have expected. It was famously kept off the top of the chart in 1981 for three weeks by the dreadful novelty song 'Shaddap You Face' by Joe Dolce and also for the first week by John Lennon's 'Woman' but the blame for this not reaching number 1 should really go to Chrysalis Records who sat on it for more than six months. The 'Vienna' album came out in July 1980 but the record company didn't want to release it as a single as they considered it to be too slow and long. They eventually gave in to the band's wishes but still refused to pay for the video which was financed by Ultravox themselves. It was given an honorary number 1 award by the OCC in 2012 after finishing top of a BBC poll to find Britain's favourite number 2 single. The six repeated notes at the start are iconic and this may be filed under synthpop but it's the piano and violin that really give the song its memorable sound.

This post has been edited by King Rollo: 29th November 2018, 10:01 PM

+Quote this post
danG
post 28th November 2018, 09:26 PM
Post #1307
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

Great pick, one of the best 80s songs!

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 29th November 2018, 10:00 PM
Post #1308
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

23. Gaza - Marillion (2012)

But any way you look at this
Whichever point of view
For us to have to live like this
It just ain't right

The opening track from 'Sounds That Can't Be Made',this 17 minute epic is as political as Marillion have got. H spoke to people on both sides of the dispute before writing the lyrics and he doesn't take sides. The lyrics are from the perspective of a child growing up in Gaza. Steve Rothery's aggressive guitar sounds in the first few minutes of the track represent rocket attacks and the quieter section that follows is the aftermath. The whole thing is very cinematic and took a long time for the group to put together.

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 30th November 2018, 07:36 PM
Post #1309
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

22. Kuiama - Electric Light Orchestra (1973)

Kuia please believe me,I just couldn't help myself
I wanted to run but they gave me a gun
And they told me the duty I owed to my fatherland
I made my stand

From ELO's second album,this is easily the longest song they recorded at eleven and a half minutes long. Jeff Lynne's lyrics have never been particularly deep,he normally writes the music first and then adds whatever words come into his head at the last minute. However,for this song he comes up with a story of Kuiama,a girl whose parents are both killed in the Vietnam War. An American soldier adopts her and takes her back with him to America. It's only when she is settled there that he tells her that he was the one who shot both of her parents dead. The instrumental break from 4.20 to 8.30 contains possibly the best violin solo in any pop/rock song.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 1st December 2018, 07:39 PM
Post #1310
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

Hi Rollo, getting close to finishing now!

Woman In Chains is a goodie, Can't Get It Out Of My Head went top 10 for me in 1975 for ELO, and 2 again in 1978 when it charted as part of the ELO EP, Strange Magic equally fab on it, Evil Woman genius, and also Ma ma ma Belle was on it (not quite int he same league) - the lead track on the radio was Can't Get It Out Of My Head though, so hooray it belatedly charted (but hasnt to date "sold" enough to make my top 850, doh!).

So many 10CC and ELO tracks. I adore Twilight and was very pissed off when it peaked at 30, it was more the music scene shifting than ELO records declining in quality (it topped my chart)!. I'm Mandy Fly Me also topped my chart, I guess the airline advert quote that inspired it means nothing these days, so it might come over as a little odd, but it's gorgeous to me.

Blue Order classic of course and in my listing too, along with 10CC and ELO, ditto Vienna, another classic. My first chart-topping singles from 10CC and ELO were both in 1972, ELO have had a popular re-appraisal after decades out of fashion (quite rightly) and it's overdue for 10CC!

Two Tribes is also a long-running chart-topper in my listings, but John Miles fabulous Music isn't - oddly my fave track of his is High Fly, hugely under-rated that one. That leaves the jaw-droppingly heart-rending Chris Rea brilliance of Tell Me There's A Heaven, far and away his greatest work, give or take a Christmas classic that also underperformed until recently in streaming-world charts. Sadly Tell me... isn't in my lsiitngs, needs reissuing! Driving Home For Christmas is though, it passed the million mark last christmas after years of accumulated sales by virtue of being the only christmas classic that charts in the UK each year that still sounds fresh to me, makes me all gooey and optimistic. I melt. laugh.gif

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 1st December 2018, 07:57 PM
Post #1311
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

I was very pleased to see Jeff Lynne chose to perform 'Can't Get It Out Of My Head' when he did his comeback concert at Hyde Park a few years ago (shown on the BBC).

Good to see you also like 'Tell Me There's A Heaven'. It didn't do as well as I had hoped when I entered it into the BJSC 90s v 00s spin off.

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 1st December 2018, 08:06 PM
Post #1312
Group icon

Vienna is an excellent epic ballad. I like how Ultravox's next top 10 single after it 'All Stood Still' is completely different in style to it.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 1st December 2018, 08:09 PM
Post #1313
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

QUOTE(King Wencesrollo @ Dec 1 2018, 07:57 PM) *
I was very pleased to see Jeff Lynne chose to perform 'Can't Get It Out Of My Head' when he did his comeback concert at Hyde Park a few years ago (shown on the BBC).

Good to see you also like 'Tell Me There's A Heaven'. It didn't do as well as I had hoped when I entered it into the BJSC 90s v 00s spin off.

I have yet see ELO - though Ive seen a fab tribute ELO several times, oops! laugh.gif

Tell Me There's A Heaven under-performed? Outrageous! I can see why some might find the lyrics a little bit disturbing on the face of it, but it's a message that will never stop being relevant as long as there are people.

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 1st December 2018, 08:28 PM
Post #1314
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

21. We're Here - Guillemots (2006)

The world is our carpet now

After the heavy war protest songs at 23 and 22,comes something much lighter and happier. It's just about enjoying the outdoors. I love the sweeping strings on this one. It only got to number 156 on the singles chart. It wasn't until the next single,'Made Up Lovesong No.43' that Guillemots started having top 40 hits.

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 2nd December 2018, 07:54 PM
Post #1315
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

20. Innuendo - Queen (1991)

If there's a God or any kind of justice under the sky
If there's a point,if there's a reason to live or die
If there's an answer to the questions we feel bound to ask
Show yourself,destroy our fears,release your mask

I was surprised when this went straight in to the singles chart at number 1. Queen had not had a number 1 single since 1981 and the song is six and a half minutes long with quite a complex arrangement. There is a prog rock sound to it with a Spanish style section in the middle. Steve Howe from Yes who was friends with the band was visiting Montreux when they were recording it and ended up playing Spanish guitar.

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 3rd December 2018, 07:12 PM
Post #1316
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

19. Mr Blue Sky - Electric Light Orchestra (1977)

Hey there Mr Blue
We're so pleased to be with you
Look around see what you do
Everybody smiles at you

ELO's best known song which has endured into the 21st Century,being used in many films and TV programmes. Jeff Lynne was inspired to write it after two weeks of dark,misty weather in Switzerland,giving him writer's block,was replaced by sunny weather. He wrote 'Mr Blue Sky' along with the rest of the 'Out Of The Blue' album in the next two weeks. It's the last of the four songs that make up the Concerto For A Rainy Day and all four of them are in my top 250. The track is at the end of side 3 of the double album which explains why there is a vocoder voice (keyboard player Richard Tandy) at the end saying "please turn me over". This is just a classic summer anthem,the outro from 3.40 onwards often doesn't get played on the radio but it's my favourite part of the song. The official ELO video also doesn't cover the entire thing so here is a Super Mario version instead.

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 3rd December 2018, 07:41 PM
Post #1317
Group icon

Innuendo is brilliant and epic, definitely one of Queen's best songs I think!

Mr Blue Sky is a great tune too!

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 4th December 2018, 07:09 PM
Post #1318
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

18. Welcome To The Pleasuredome - Frankie Goes To Hollywood (1984)

Shooting stars never stop
Even when they reach the top

This is the full fourteen minute album track. A much shorter and remixed version was released as a single in 1985,reaching number 2. Philip Bailey and Phil Collins' 'Easy Lover' prevented Frankie Goes To Hollywood becoming the first act to get to number 1 with their first four singles. Other than the vocals,it's unlikely that the group made much of a contribution to this track with both Trevor Rabin and Steve Howe from Yes and producer Trevor Horn himself all credited as playing guitars on the album. I like the second half of the song in particular.

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 5th December 2018, 07:26 PM
Post #1319
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

17. Lights - Archive (2006)

The hurt's relentless
The hurt of emptiness
The hurt of wanting
The hurt of going on

Archive have been such a great discovery for me since I read a review of their 2015 album in a newspaper. If I had not seen it,I would still be unaware of them as I have not seen them mentioned anywhere since then. This is the 11th and last song from them on my chart. It would have been more than that as I had only listened to 7 of their 11 albums when I finalised the chart. I have been adding one album to my collection about every three months and have just got round to listening to their most recent album. 'Lights' is a 19 minute epic which repeats the same six notes on the keyboards throughout most of the song but it never gets boring,I find the whole thing to be utterly mesmerising. The guitar noise and drums are added to the main hook with the lead vocal finally coming in after eight and a half minutes making this surely one of the longest intros to a song by anyone.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 6th December 2018, 09:02 AM
Post #1320
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

I'm really sorry I've not been commenting as much!

I remember Routine from BJSC, that video really is unforgettable isn't it, so sad.
No Cars Go is a great tune, another one that's taking me back a few years.
In the Air Tonight is a classic as well, I know Phil is quite a 'marmite' artist but I do quite like him!
Hey Boy Hey Girl was one of the first dance songs I was introduced to as a child, it's a simple but incredible song and holds a place in my heart.

+Quote this post

68 Pages V  « < 64 65 66 67 68 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 09:42 AM