BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
35 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
This thread is locked.Create a new thread
> The lovely discussion of all things EU and/or Brexit, Part IV
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Brett-Butler
post Jul 16 2018, 07:32 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455
Thread to discuss all things Brexit-y. Please keep things intelligent, civil & non-waffly, will spike all posts that displease me.

The summary of the last few days -

- Justine Greening has suggested a final three-way referendum (options being Accept Deal/No Deal/No Brexit)
- Theresa May is accused of capitulating to the hard Brexiteers in accepting amendments to the Brexit Bill
- Now the soft Brexiteers/remainers are likely to do the same tomorrow, expect in the other direction.
- Theresa may be introduced to some lovely produce in Dunelm. It's curtains for her.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jul 16 2018, 08:49 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Jul 16 2018, 08:32 PM) *
Thread to discuss all things Brexit-y. Please keep things intelligent, civil & non-waffly, will spike all posts that displease me.

- Justine Greening has suggested a final three-way referendum (options being Accept Deal/No Deal/No Brexit)
- Theresa May is accused of capitulating to the hard Brexiteers in accepting amendments to the Brexit Bill
- Now the soft Brexiteers/remainers are likely to do the same tomorrow, expect in the other direction.
- Theresa may be introduced to some lovely produce in Dunelm. It's curtains for her.

Good to hear Justine G has been reading my comments about a referendum on all options, especially since we can presumably have one not financed by Russians. Good to know my analysis of the proposed deal that it would make everyone equally miserable was spot-on. It would get even softer by the time the EU make it plain that they already have a Norway option, which Farage was very clear during the early referendum was quite a reasonable option. Obviously all of the Hard Brexiters have changed their minds and now want a Very Hard Brexit. The media are failing in their job to remind them of that fact so it's down to everyone else to remind them, constantly, and at every opportunity.

I need some new curtains, as I have been wallpapering and the old ones clash with the birds and butterflies theme. Plain red or blue, I can't decide? Much like Theresa May on every topic. Dunelm, arf!

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post Jul 16 2018, 11:53 PM
Post #3
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561
Apparently both Vince Cable and Tim Farron were both AWOL for the ERG amendment vote in the Commons this evening that saw the government win by just 3 votes !

Tim Farron apparently missed it because he was at Sherborne Abbey talking about gay sex - the man is obsessed! Vince Cable was presumably still trying to justify the ludicrously low share price he offered when selling off the profitable part of Royal Mail.

PEAK LIB DEM.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Jul 17 2018, 05:47 AM
Post #4
Group icon
Paul Hyett
User: 364
QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Jul 16 2018, 08:32 PM) *
f

I hope that doesn't mean 'any that don't proclaim the EU is the best thing since sliced bread' teresa.gif

Seriously though - like it or not, half of voters are Eurosceptic, and as their olny representative here, I hope I won't be targeted for 'spiking' solely on that basis? thinking.gif

This is precisely the wording that I've opposed all along - a 'divide/conquer' working designed to split Leavers, while uniting Remainers, fortunately however...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44840154

Justine Greening's call for new Brexit referendum rejected by No 10

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jul 17 2018, 07:10 AM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
....aaaand Vote Leave is confirmed to have acted illegally and been referred to the police.

Thank goodness we can end the discussions about "speculation" and move on to it being "fact".

Re: Cable & Farron, they need a slap if those reports are true. Presumably they felt being disinterested would lead to a stark Hard Brexit/No Brexit result because the EU won't accept large parts of the Chequers agreement even as it stood, but even so, still needs questioning about it. Can't find any news reports on these claims though, the one link isn't to a report on it, it's an assumption that it went ahead.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Jul 17 2018, 08:21 AM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Jul 17 2018, 12:53 AM) *
Apparently both Vince Cable and Tim Farron were both AWOL for the ERG amendment vote in the Commons this evening that saw the government win by just 3 votes !

Tim Farron apparently missed it because he was at Sherborne Abbey talking about gay sex - the man is obsessed! Vince Cable was presumably still trying to justify the ludicrously low share price he offered when selling off the profitable part of Royal Mail.

PEAK LIB DEM.

There were over 30 MPs missing from the vote (not counting Sinn Fein). That suggests there were some pairing arrangements.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Jul 17 2018, 08:22 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(vidcapper @ Jul 17 2018, 06:47 AM) *
I hope that doesn't mean 'any that don't proclaim the EU is the best thing since sliced bread' teresa.gif

Seriously though - like it or not, half of voters are Eurosceptic, and as their olny representative here, I hope I won't be targeted for 'spiking' solely on that basis? thinking.gif
This is precisely the wording that I've opposed all along - a 'divide/conquer' working designed to split Leavers, while uniting Remainers, fortunately however...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44840154

Justine Greening's call for new Brexit referendum rejected by No 10

Greening has suggested using preference voting to overcome that objection.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Jul 17 2018, 09:09 AM
Post #8
Group icon
Paul Hyett
QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Jul 17 2018, 09:22 AM) *
Greening has suggested using preference voting to overcome that objection.

I doubt the gov't would stomach that, as it would lead to demands that it be used for other sorts of elections... wink.gif

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post Jul 17 2018, 11:06 AM
Post #9
Group icon
QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Jul 17 2018, 08:10 AM) *
....aaaand Vote Leave is confirmed to have acted illegally and been referred to the police.

Given that Michael Gove and Boris Johnson were key figures of the Vote Leave campaign, I hope that they will be referred to the police for this criminal investigation to find out what they knew about this.

Also the following - were all on the campaign committee:

Liam Fox
Iain Duncan Smith
Dominic Raab
Michael Gove
Boris Johnson
Steve Baker
Chris Grayling
Priti Patel
Lord Lawson

This post has been edited by Doctor Blind: Jul 17 2018, 11:07 AM

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jul 17 2018, 11:39 AM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
a quick word of praise for the fab Anna Soubry and her demolition job on old rich Toffs in her party. Soubry for PM! A Tory actually saying it like it is, who'd'a thought it!

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Jul 17 2018, 11:44 AM
Post #11
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
Soubry is wonderful. She is one of a select few in that human cesspit I actually like and admire.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Jul 17 2018, 01:26 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Paul Hyett
QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Jul 17 2018, 12:39 PM) *
a quick word of praise for the fab Anna Soubry and her demolition job on old rich Toffs in her party. Soubry for PM! A Tory actually saying it like it is, who'd'a thought it!

That's sounds like a reason why the party would never let her become PM. wink.gif

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Jul 17 2018, 02:07 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(vidcapper @ Jul 17 2018, 10:09 AM) *
I doubt the gov't would stomach that, as it would lead to demands that it be used for other sorts of elections... wink.gif

There will certainly be plenty of MPs, mostly - but not exclusively - on the Tory benches, who would oppose it for that very reason.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jul 17 2018, 07:04 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(vidcapper @ Jul 17 2018, 02:26 PM) *
That's sounds like a reason why the party would never let her become PM. wink.gif

Of course they won't, and neither would the current Labour Party despite a clear statement they should in theory agree on:

"J.K. Rowling Retweeted

Nick Cohen

Nick Cohen Retweeted BBC Politics
Here's Jeremy Corbyn smashing the Tories to pieces...Oh, that not quite right

@BBCPolitics
Conservative MP @Anna_Soubry attacked "ideologically driven" colleagues with "gold-plated pensions and inherited wealth" for ignoring the "reality" of Brexit."

Nothing hurts like the truth......

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jul 17 2018, 07:34 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
remember this bloke?

"Shahmir Sanni 🏳️‍🌈

The shit I went through to for this...now you all know that I was fired for this, outed for this by Number 10, character assassinated by the Sun, the Daily Mail, the Conservative Party. Now you know. They did it all to protect their friends. They backed CRIMINALS."

just wanna say thanks to him, people who fight against injustice as individuals often get crucified in one way or another...

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post Jul 17 2018, 07:39 PM
Post #16
Group icon
Yeah, he was on Channel 4 News this evening. The way he has been treated for DARING to report potentially corrupt behaviour in the processes of our "supposed" democracy is frankly disgusting.

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Jul 17 2018, 08:34 PM) *
just wanna say thanks to him, people who fight against injustice as individuals often get crucified in one way or another...

Agreed.

Between Craig MacKinlay (currently all reporting of his case suspended due to an injunction at the supreme court) and now this from Vote Leave - it is quite abundantly clear that there are some people who think that because they have a lot of money, they are above the law and can do whatever they please in order to get their way, including corrupting a democratic vote.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Jul 17 2018, 10:29 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
OK, so the official government line, as announced in the Commons by some junior minister, is that the fact that the rules were broken shows they are working. Anyone able to explain that logic?

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Jul 17 2018, 11:13 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639
As the rules are only for us, not for them

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jul 18 2018, 06:58 AM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
helpful tweet:

"Steve Bullock

@GuitarMoog
16h16 hours ago
More
Steve Bullock Retweeted The Independent
Oh look, the Government lied about the ‘Brexit Dividend’. It lied officially, using official Government channels. It lied to Parliament. It forced civil servants to be complicit in lying. Not spin, or selective truth telling. Lying. Officially.Steve Bullock added,
The Independent
Verified account

@Independent
The 'Brexit dividend' money Theresa May promised for the NHS is a myth, Government's official spending watchdog confirms https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business...obox=1531821124
36 replies 1,996 retweets 2,605 likes
Reply 36 Retweet 2.0K Like 2.6K Direct message"

I wonder if voters would like to know......?

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Jul 18 2018, 08:56 AM
Post #20
Group icon
Paul Hyett
QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Jul 18 2018, 07:58 AM) *
helpful tweet:

"Steve Bullock

@GuitarMoog
16h16 hours ago
More
Steve Bullock Retweeted The Independent
Oh look, the Government lied about the ‘Brexit Dividend’. It lied officially, using official Government channels. It lied to Parliament. It forced civil servants to be complicit in lying. Not spin, or selective truth telling. Lying. Officially.Steve Bullock added,
The Independent
Verified account

@Independent
The 'Brexit dividend' money Theresa May promised for the NHS is a myth, Government's official spending watchdog confirms https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business...obox=1531821124
36 replies 1,996 retweets 2,605 likes
Reply 36 Retweet 2.0K Like 2.6K Direct message"

I wonder if voters would like to know......?

Well, this one would still vote for Brexit anyway, since, as I've said all along, I believe it is a naive & shortsighted move for a country to give up its economic & political independence.

This post has been edited by vidcapper: Jul 18 2018, 09:02 AM

+Quote this post

35 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
This thread is locked.Create a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:03 PM