BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
22 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Doctor Who: Series 10, Christmas Day: Twice Upon a Time
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
JosephBoone
post Jan 22 2016, 10:03 PM
Post #1
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-01-22/...-chris-chibnall

Steven Moffat has decided that his “timey wimey” as showrunner of Doctor Who has come to an end and he will step down as the show’s lead writer and executive producer after six series at the helm, RadioTimes.com can reveal.

Moffatt will hand over the keys to the TARDIS at the end of the next series in 2017 to Broadchurch writer and Doctor Who fan Chris Chibnall.

BBC1 has decided to air Moffat’s final 12-part series - the 10th of the modern era - in spring 2017. Chibnall’s debut series as head writer and executive producer will launch in 2018.

A Christmas special WILL air this year overseen by Moffat, though it is unclear whether Peter Capaldi’s new companion will feature. The companion, who will replace Jenna Coleman's Clara Oswald, will definitely be in place for the spring 2017 series, say BBC sources.

Explaining the decision to hold Moffat’s last series until next year, BBC1 controller Charlotte Moore said: “I have decided to schedule Steven’s big finale series in Spring 2017 to bring the nation together for what will be a huge event on the channel. 2016 is spoilt with national moments including the Euros and Olympics and I want to hold something big back for 2017 - I promise it will be worth the wait!”

It is unclear if the plan is now to make Doctor Who a series which regularly begins its runs in the spring when Chibnall becomes showrunner. “That is all to be decided,” said a BBC source, who pointed out that it began airing in the spring when it was relaunched by Russell T Davies in 2005.

Moffat said of his decision to quit: “Feels odd to be talking about leaving when I’m just starting work on the scripts for season 10, but the fact is my timey-wimey is running out. While Chris is doing his last run of Broadchurch, I’ll be finishing up on the best job in the universe and keeping the TARDIS warm for him. It took a lot of gin and tonic to talk him into this, but I am beyond delighted that one of the true stars of British Television drama will be taking the Time Lord even further into the future. At the start of season 11, Chris Chibnall will become the new showrunner of Doctor Who. And I will be thrown in a skip.”

Moore, who next month takes over a super controller’s job at the BBC, paid tribute to Moffat and welcomed Chibnall into the Doctor Who fold.

“I want to thank Steven Moffat for everything he has given Doctor Who – I’ve loved working with him, he is an absolute genius and has brought fans all over the world such joy,” she added. “I will be very sad to see him leave the show but I can’t wait to see what he will deliver in his last ever series next year with a brand new companion.

“I would also like to take this opportunity to welcome Chris Chibnall, a wonderfully talented writer who I know will bring something very special to the hit series.”

Like Moffat, Chibnall is also a lifelong Doctor Who fan and a multi-award winning writer and executive producer. He has most recently achieved success with the triple BAFTA winning hit ITV series Broadchurch. His other credits include BAFTA nominated The Great Train Robbery, United, Law & Order: UK, Life on Mars and Torchwood.

He said: "Doctor Who is the ultimate BBC programme: bold, unique, vastly entertaining, and adored all around the world. So it's a privilege and a joy to be the next curator of this funny, scary and emotional family drama. I’ve loved Doctor Who since I was four years old, and I’m relishing the thought of working with the exceptional team at BBC Wales to create new characters, creatures and worlds for the Doctor to explore. Steven’s achieved the impossible by continually expanding Doctor Who's creative ambition, while growing its global popularity. He’s been a dazzling and daring showrunner, and hearing his plans and stories for 2017, it’s clear he’ll be going out with a bang. Just to make my life difficult."

Polly Hill, BBC controller of drama commissioning, added: “Like Charlotte I would like to thank Steven for his brilliance, which has made Doctor Who a global hit under his tenure. Chris Chibnall is the perfect successor to take over the reins of this incredible show, so I am delighted that his love for Doctor Who has made it impossible for him to resist ! Chris is an incredible writer and his vision and passion for Doctor Who gives it an exciting future and promises to be a real treat for Doctor Who fans across the world.”

Chris is an interesting choice. His Torchwood episodes were amazing but his Doctor Who ones are a mixed bag. I hope he'll do it justice though, I don't think Moffat would've left without knowing the show was in safe hands!

Also think it's a good idea to rest the show for most of this year, gives the public a chance to crave some more Who while Moffat works on making his last series amazing.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post Jan 22 2016, 10:12 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Former iconic poster with no consistent posting style
Pronouns: Don't take em seriously tbh
User: 21,005
Just looking on the Wikia for what episodes he's written. I agree that they're a mixed bag (as Dinosaurs on a Spaceship was one of the worst episodes laugh.gif ) but this will definitely be a huge loss to the series for me. cry.gif

Shame we're having to wait over a year though sad.gif

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Jan 22 2016, 10:20 PM
Post #3
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160
omg, another year to wait nooo. It's the right decision though, it was getting a bit lost and pushed aside in the Autumn because of Strictly, the Spring suits it better.

In regards to the bigger news, Steven's departure was to be expected and six series is a HUGE amount and it does mean its time to move on, just to freshen it up for the general audience. Chris Chibnall though, I didn't expect that. ohmy.gif He did a great job on Torchwood as executive producer and Broadchurch is fantastic but, I agree, I'm not the biggest fan of his Doctor Who episodes (Power of Three is probably my favourite). Change is exciting for a show like this though, so I'm looking forward to see his take on the show!

It's great news that they're still invested in the show though. After the rumours of the BBC's initial response to RTD's depature, I was concerned they might be hesitant to continue it again without an obvious replacement. And it's great that we've got two more series confirmed! cheer.gif

I'm going to guess that Peter will bow out with Steven.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Jan 22 2016, 10:21 PM
Post #4
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232
The person who wrote Dinosaurs on a Spaceship becoming the full time writer doesn't fill me hope, but at least it's not Mark Gatiss I suppose.

I think it's good we've got a year's wait, the ratings/quality have been a tad inconsistent for the last few years and the last series felt like quite a fitting conclusion for now anyway what with Clara now gone. He SHOULD theoretically at least have some time to make it come back better than ever, and hopefully the public will be a bit more receptive to it when it's been gone a while.

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: Jan 22 2016, 10:22 PM

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Jan 23 2016, 12:15 AM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472
I'll definitely be tuning into the new series under a new producer - I completely went off Doctor Who when Moffat took over and have not been able to get back in despite various attempts. Okay so Chris Chibnall has apparently created some not so good episodes but Moffat created some of the best under Russell T Davies' run but that didn't stop him ruining the series for me when he took over.

+Quote this post
Qween
post Jan 23 2016, 12:33 AM
Post #6
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
User: 11,709
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS

+Quote this post
Botchia
post Jan 23 2016, 01:56 AM
Post #7
Group icon
I Drink Wine
User: 21,753
Finally he's gone! Although seeing some of the episodes Chibnall has been responsible for doesn't full me with much hope. But I doubt he would've got the job if they were worried. He needs to focus on making the series more accessible for the general audience like it was under RTD.

I'm not surprised they want to hold series 10 back until 2017. BBC One has a massive gap in its schedule there with losing The Voice and Doctor Who was getting lost in the Autumn slot.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Jan 23 2016, 02:34 AM
Post #8
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639
After the huuuge flop of this series the break is no surprise. Capaldi HAS to next though.

Dinosaurs on a ... Spaceship fame blink.gif

He obviously doesn't understqnd Doc Who,casually turning him into a killer on that gross episode.

Axe!!

+Quote this post
T Boy
post Jan 23 2016, 09:55 AM
Post #9
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177
Moffat leaving is long overdue. Time for a fresh take on it all.

+Quote this post
Slick
post Jan 23 2016, 03:21 PM
Post #10
Group icon
electric butterflies
User: 70
I can't say I'm surprised that Moffat is stepping down, it was just a case of "when." And with no announcement of any Who episodes coming this year after the Christmas ep, it was very likely that the series was going to be postponed (which could be a really good thing for the series - give people a chance to miss it.)

I'm not sure how I feel about Chris Chibnall. The episodes he's written aren't especially memorable (unlike those Moffat had written pre-Exec Producer status.) Then again he's capable of BROADCHURCH, which gives me some hope.

Series 10 is going to be FAB because it's Moffat's last series and he's capable of really pulling it out of the bag. Anyone else think he'll take Capaldi with him?

+Quote this post
Calum
post Jan 23 2016, 09:31 PM
Post #11
Group icon
nabad
User: 18,316
Could sense that it would be coming soon considering Moffat's recent comments saying he was actively involved in looking for his replacement, so it was just a matter of time I guess. Will definitely miss him, because the show's been at its absolute best in his era, and has obviously been the most successful period for the show. Can see Peter doing the same as David and leaving when Moffat does.

Not sure how I feel about Chibnall though. The only episode of his that he's written for the show I can say I'm a fan of is 'The Power of Three'. His Torchwood episodes are great though, so I'll go in with an open mind.

+Quote this post
Qween
post Jan 24 2016, 12:21 AM
Post #12
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
Has the series REALLY been the most popular under Moffat's tenure? By what metric?

I'm not saying quality, or success of a showrunner, is based on figures but Moffat's time has certainly not been met with either huge viewing figures or mass critical acclaim, so I struggle to see how he could conceivably be classed as a success under those terms. My own personal dislike for his running of the show and general downward trend (bar S9) of the show under his tenure standing entirely separate.

+Quote this post
Calum
post Jan 24 2016, 12:34 AM
Post #13
Group icon
nabad
User: 18,316
QUOTE(Qween @ Jan 24 2016, 12:21 AM) *
Has the series REALLY been the most popular under Moffat's tenure? By what metric?

I'm not saying quality, or success of a showrunner, is based on figures but Moffat's time has certainly not been met with either huge viewing figures or mass critical acclaim, so I struggle to see how he could conceivably be classed as a success under those terms. My own personal dislike for his running of the show and general downward trend (bar S9) of the show under his tenure standing entirely separate.

Well it's certainly a lot more popular now than it was during the RTD era. Moffat's era has helped to push the show internationally.

Granted, it isn't more popular in terms of ratings, and so he can't be praised for being a success in that region, but in terms of the Doctor Who brand as a whole, it exploded at the beginning of this era, and has continued to.

+Quote this post
Hypodermic Sally
post Jan 24 2016, 02:18 AM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 21,622
In a way I'm glad, his ideas have defiantly become stale as his time's progressed and it'll bring a fresh lease of air to the show! As amazing as Moffat has been, I'm thankful for the change tbh

+Quote this post
Qween
post Jan 24 2016, 09:44 AM
Post #15
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
QUOTE(Calum Hood @ Jan 24 2016, 12:34 AM) *
Well it's certainly a lot more popular now than it was during the RTD era. Moffat's era has helped to push the show internationally.

Granted, it isn't more popular in terms of ratings, and so he can't be praised for being a success in that region, but in terms of the Doctor Who brand as a whole, it exploded at the beginning of this era, and has continued to.

But is any of that down to Moffat himself? The BBC has started pushing it's US wing far more heavily in the last few years in general and I'm not entirely sure there's any evidence as to it actually being more popular either, aside from more countries choosing to air it, which again, is almost entirely removed from him being showrunner. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that couldn't be the case, just that it's a case of attributing causality to a relationship which has no direct correlation.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Jan 24 2016, 09:48 AM
Post #16
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639
QUOTE(Qween @ Jan 24 2016, 09:44 AM) *
But is any of that down to Moffat himself? The BBC has started pushing it's US wing far more heavily in the last few years in general and I'm not entirely sure there's any evidence as to it actually being more popular either, aside from more countries choosing to air it, which again, is almost entirely removed from him being showrunner. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that couldn't be the case, just that it's a case of attributing causality to a relationship which has no direct correlation.

Absolutely this.

+Quote this post
Botchia
post Feb 29 2016, 07:31 PM
Post #17
Group icon
I Drink Wine
User: 21,753
Rakhee Thakrar is one of the names rumoured to be the next companion: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-02-29/...e-new-companion

I would forgive her for leaving Eastenders if it was to join Doctor Who! This would be incredible! biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
T Boy
post Feb 29 2016, 07:54 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
But then I would always be reminded of how Shabnam has left no.gif

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Feb 29 2016, 08:14 PM
Post #19
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160
From what I've seen of her, that would be fantastic casting!

+Quote this post
T Boy
post Feb 29 2016, 08:26 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
Just realised its Rakhee's birthday today and she's 32 but because she was born on a leap year, she's technically still 8!

+Quote this post

22 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 05:41 PM