BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> DT32 Rates The UK Debuts
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
WhoOdyssey
post 12th January 2020, 06:59 PM
Post #81
Group icon
A dead mouse (from my cat)
User: 67,771

If Roses gets into the top 10 I'm not sure how I'll rate it in the Reshuffle laugh.gif (love the remix, hate the original)
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post 14th January 2020, 08:12 PM
Post #82
Group icon
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
User: 21,666

QUOTE(WhoOdyssey @ Jan 12 2020, 06:37 PM) *
The 'Roses' song from 2016 is charting because of a dance remix from Imanbek - shame he's not actually credited in the chart though.

Thanks for notifying me. Just edited the post to include the remix as well. wink.gif

QUOTE(Bré @ Jan 12 2020, 06:58 PM) *
Gonna join in with the song rating this year because why not xo

9 Jan:
3 No Cellular Site
8 No Denying
8 GANG GANG
0 Creep [Worst of the Week]
9 WHAT TO DO? [Honourable Mention]
7.5 GATTI
6.5 HAD ENOUGH
4 Molly World
1 Suicidal [Dishonourable Mention]
5 Bando Ballads
7 All Is Found
9 Say So [Best of the Week]
8 Ballin'
5 July
2 If The World Was Ending
5 Lost In The Woods

16 Jan:
5 Yummy [Worst of the Week]
6.5 Savage
7.5 8 Style II
8 SUGAR [Honourable Mention]
8 Roses (Imanbek Remix) [Best of the Week]
6 All I Want [Dishonourable Mention]

Glad to see you join in the ratings fun, Bre!
LOL at us both having similar least faves of each week, but the difference is that it's a different song by the same artist for the first of the two weeks. We both have Say So as our fave of that week. That doesn't mean I'm asking you to bump your future ratings up and down to match your taste with mine.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 14th January 2020, 10:27 PM
Post #83
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

I've agreed with your faves of the week quite a lot over the last year!

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post 19th January 2020, 12:56 AM
Post #84
Group icon

23/01/2020

#98. Celeste - Stop This Flame
The Sound Of 2020 Winner has entered the charts. Celeste bosses it with her soulful, passionate voice, as do the gang of instruments. The strings in the chorus make this more uplifting and the old-timey pianos give this a good groove.

#94. Lil Baby - Sum 2 Prove
There are some synth chords popping up occasionally to deviate the beat from the typical piano trap beat. Lil Baby’s melodic style in this reminds me of Roddy Ricch in some places, and he does a decent exploration of his position in the game. Probs my second fave from him behind Drip Too Hard.
Oh, and speaking of Roddy Ricch...

#83. Roddy Ricch feat. Mustard - High Fashion
I really liked Ricch and Mustard’s last collab Ballin’. It had a nice, carefree feel to it, and the same can be said for this song, which is just as good. Ricch feels laidback and fun on this, and the pedal piano gives this a 90’s R&B throwback vibe.

#78. Dappy and RussMB - Splash
The watery production adds a bigger texture to the usually expected drill beat. It sounds a bit cluttered in places, but it’s fine overall. However, Dappy’s melodic vocals are something I’m not too huge of a fan of, and the rhythmic lines in the chorus sound a bit too similar to the ones on Keisha & Becky.

#77. Becky Hill feat. Shift K3Y - Better Off Without You
Ah! Shift K3Y! Now that’s a name I haven’t heard of in a long time! Takes me back to when I was bopping to Touch quite a lot back in the Summer of 2014.
Becky Hill seems to be a common choice for a dance singer feature nowadays and it’s not hard to see why. Her vocals blend greatly with these sort of beats.
The lyrics are about a girl moving on from a breakup and gaining more self-esteem in the process, and they’re pretty good. Plus the instrumentation in the chorus is a bit Sigala like.

#70. Khalid - Eleven
Khalid chillin’ with his partner as usual. This scene often comes with some swell material like Right Back and Better, but this… it’s alright. The production is decent, but the chorus isn't too good. There is a love and drugs comparison in one of the lines, but I feel like the instrumentation doesn't back it up effectively

#49. Mac Miller - Good News
This new posthumous single from Mac Miller has now become his highest charting hit (not counting Ariana’s The Way {peaked at 41} as he was not the lead artist of that song).
The acoustic arrangements of this song make it feel reflective, and the lyrics see Miller talk about how society would look down upon him if he feels down. The line in which he sees a lot of things waiting for him in his life is heartbreaking considering he passed away too soon.

#37. Halsey - You Should Be Sad
A song where Halsey tried her best to support a former partner of hers, but he still took her aid for granted nonetheless. It has a solid sense of emotion and the acoustic guitar has a good folk vibe. The guitar solo in the post-chorus would have elevated this, but it doesn’t blend too well in the mix. Also, the part in the pre-chorus where Halsey wishes she never had a baby with this guy is a weird thing to be saying in a song aimed at an ex.

#28. Selena Gomez - Rare
Another song calling out a guy who took his lover for granted. I understand where Gomez is coming from, but the chorus rubs in the fact that she’s a hidden diamond underground or, in her words, ‘rare’. I like the drum kit bangs in the verses though.

#21. Stormzy - STILL DISAPPOINTED
So Stormzy and Wiley are in a beef.
The way Mikey J fuses brass instruments with a drill type beat on this reminds me of when TobiShyBoy did a similar thing on J Hus’ No Denying (which came out a month ago). Stormzy goes hard on this and his response to the part in Eediyat Skengman 2 involving his mother’s weave, with him twisting the claims of Wiley moving his mother to Cyprus, was savage. One nitpick I have is that he repeats the ‘Wiley’s mother’ thing quite a lot throughout.

#3. Future and Drake - Life Is Good
Drake’s part is decent. He blends well with the whimmering synths.
Future’s part is weaker, but it’s okay. It’s mostly flexing and nearly every line in the 1st verse ends with “woo”. There is a solid line in which he reflects on his cocaine business in the past though.

This was a solid week that leaves me interested in what 2020 has to offer musically. My favourite of the new entries this week is Good News by Mac Miller, with honorable mention going to Stop This Flame by Celeste. As there have been a couple of tracks that I have found to be alright, it was quite hard to pick a least favourite of the bunch, but it would probably be Splash by Dappy and RussMB.

#98. Celeste - Stop This Flame [9/10] (FOTW HM)
#94. Lil Baby - Sum 2 Prove [7/10]
#83. Roddy Ricch feat. Mustard - High Fashion [8/10]
#78. Dappy and RussMB - Splash [6/10] (Least Fave Of The Week)
#77. Becky Hill feat. Shift K3Y - Better Off Without You [8/10]
#70. Khalid - Eleven [6.5/10]
#49. Mac Miller - Good News [9/10] (Fave Of The Week)
#37. Halsey - You Should Be Sad [6.5/10]
#28. Selena Gomez - Rare [6.5/10]
#21. Stormzy - STILL DISAPPOINTED [8/10]
#3. Future and Drake - Life Is Good [6.5/10]

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 20th January 2020, 09:43 AM
Post #85
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,723

Here are my ratings for this week's chart:
#98. Celeste - Stop This Flame [8/10]
#94. Lil Baby - Sum 2 Prove [5/10] (Worst of the Week Tie)
#83. Roddy Ricch feat. Mustard - High Fashion [7/10]
#78. Dappy and RussMB - Splash [5/10] (Worst of the Week Tie)
#77. Becky Hill feat. Shift K3Y - Better Off Without You [9.5/10] (Best of the Week Tie)
#70. Khalid - Eleven [7/10]
#49. Mac Miller - Good News [6/10]
#37. Halsey - You Should Be Sad [8.5/10]
#28. Selena Gomez - Rare [9.5/10] (Best of the Week Tie)
#21. Stormzy - STILL DISAPPOINTED [8/10]
#3. Future and Drake - Life Is Good [7.5/10]

+Quote this post
Brer
post 22nd January 2020, 04:49 PM
Post #86
Group icon

23 Jan:
8.5 Life Is Good [Honourable Mention]
6.5 Still Disappointed
2 Rare [Worst of the Week]
3 You should be sad
8.5 Good News [Best of the Week]
7.5 Eleven
3 Better Off Without You [Dishonourable Mention]
6 Splash
7.5 High Fashion
3 Sum 2 Prove
7 Stop This Flame

I didn't super love 'Good News' on first listen but it is already growing on me quite a bit, really heartbreaking song. Close between that and 'Life Is Good' for the song I personally enjoy the most but Mac Miller's feels more worthy of being called 'best of the week' as I recognise the Future/Drake song is very formulaic, I just think it does the formula well x

Tough to choose a dishonourable mention this week but I went for Becky just for feeling like it's not even trying to do anything different to the usual ten-a-penny dance pop stuff. 'Sum 2 Prove' at least feels like an attempt at a vaguely different sound from Lil Baby although not executed particularly well (I liked 'Woah' a lot more), and 'You should be sad' is... not for me at all, don't like the vocals or the lyrics, it's saved by having a pretty nice instrumental. 'Rare' is an easy WOTW for me though as it's just super monotonous, I don't get the appeal of lowkey Selena songs like this and 'Bad Liar' at all.

'Eleven' is the best I've heard from Khalid in a while (since 'Better'). 'High Fashion' is not as good as 'Ballin'' but Roddy and Mustard are a good combination, would like to hear more collabs between them. 'Still Disappointed' is more enjoyable for the spectacle of the Stormzy/Wiley beef than the actual song which I agree goes a little too heavy on the 'ur mum lol' lines (I prefer 'Disappointed' as a song although it's less savage as a diss track). 'Splash' is the best thing Russ has done since 'Gun Lean', more down to Dappy than Russ himself though. And 'Stop This Flame' is pretty nice, reminds me of Emeli Sandé, I prefer this more upbeat sound from Celeste compared to 'Strange' which I found pretty boring.

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post 30th January 2020, 06:16 PM
Post #87
Group icon

30/01/2020

#93. Bugzy Malone feat. Skip Marley - Cause A Commotion
The bongo beat is decent, but I feel like it doesn’t effectively back up Bugzy’s brags.
I also quite like Skip Marley though there are times where his melodic cadence doesn’t mesh well with the piano harmony in one part of the chorus. And speaking of the chorus, that loud screaming was a bit off-putting (though I give credit for trying to add a level of dramatization to the line “Shotgun pump action” along with a shotgun sound effect).

#85. Mac Miller - Circles
#84. Mac Miller - Blue World
We’ve got two tracks from Mac Miller’s posthumous studio album Circles. Really good album BTW, though I prefer Swimming.
The album opener of the same name does a good job at setting the mood for the album. Miller sings about trying to find a new direction that suits him as he feel like his daily routine is going around in circles. The only minor problem I have is that the instrumentation sounds a bit too quiet.
Blue World has such a joyous, uplifting beat that sticks in your head, with Miller reflecting on the trials and tribulations that he went through in his life. It’s definitely in my Top 3 of the album

#46. BTS - Black Swan
BTS make the dramatic lyrics in this song work quite well and I like the use of the black swan metaphors and the concept behind it. There is also a possible influence from the 2010 film of the same name with Natalie Portman in it.

#35. The 1975 - Me & You Together Song
A single from the upcoming Notes In A Conditional Form album has finally made it to the Top 40 after People and Frail State Of Mind failed to do so (sadly). What do I think of it?
There is a really nice instrumental; the guitars give off a swell vibrant sound. However, I feel like they overpower Matt Healy’s vocals a bit too much. Also, the outro was a bit too repetitive. I do, however, like the part in the 2nd verse where Healy mentions his sexuality and how he feels shy about it.

#33. Jonas Brothers - What A Man Gotta Do
There is an upbeat groove to it that’s quite similar to their 2008 song Burnin’ Up. I like it!. “What a man gotta do to be totally locked up by you?” is a pretty weird for a chorus line though.

#17. Eminem - Darkness
#12. Eminem feat. Ed Sheeran - Those Kinda Nights
#1. Eminem feat. Juice WRLD - Godzilla
Another set of album tracks comes from Eminem’s surprise album Music To Get Murdered By. I thought it was solid, even though it was a step down from Kamikaze.
Eminem raps about his despair on Darkness, which is further emphasised by the “I don’t wanna be alone in the darkness!” chorus. There’s also a piano interpolation of Simon & Garfunkel’s 1964 classic Sound Of Silence occurring throughout. In the 2nd half, Eminem gives an idea of why a mass shooter would commit a huge crime. The track goes on for a little too long, but it’s solid.
Those Kinda Nights is a hook-up track that is also his 3rd collaboration with Ed Sheeran. I quite like the low range flutes on this, and it is fun in a few places, but there are also a lot of cheesy one-liners like the Marshmello joke.
He has some good flows to go in Godzilla along with a catchy, minimalistic keyboard beat. Juice WRLD's chorus, despite being a posthumous snippet, was quite good, and fit with the change up of instrumentation.

#9. DigDat feat. Aitch - Ei8ht Mile
The dark beat on this reminds me of the one in Digga D’s No Diet. It bumps! Oh, and both tracks make use of a reference to the drink KA.
I like how DigDat and Aitch take turns in verses, plus the keyboard settings switch up every 8 bars, which is interesting. Even as someone who prefers Aitch on more upbeat tracks like Buss Down and Young T & Bugsey’s Strike A Pose over dark beats like Taste (Make It Shake), I think he blends surprisingly well into the dark beat and his assertive bars are solid. The track does fall into the “stealing your girl” cliche at some points.

Overall, pretty solid week for debuts. This will be 2nd week in a row where my favourite of the UK Charts Debut is a Mac Miller song, that being Blue World. The honorable mention is Godzilla by Eminem and Juice WRLD. My least fave of them is Those Kinda Nights by Eminem and Ed Sheeran.

#93. Bugzy Malone feat. Skip Marley - Cause A Commotion [6.5/10]
#85. Mac Miller - Circles [8/10]
#84. Mac Miller - Blue World [9/10] (Fave Of The Week)
#46. BTS - Black Swan [7/10]
#35. The 1975 - Me & You Together Song [6.5/10]
#33. Jonas Brothers - What A Man Gotta Do [7/10]
#17. Eminem - Darkness [7/10]
#12. Eminem feat. Ed Sheeran - Those Kinda Nights [6/10] (Least Fave Of The Week)
#9. DigDat feat. Aitch - Ei8ht Mile [8/10]
#1. Eminem feat. Juice WRLD - Godzilla [8/10] (FOTW HM)

This post has been edited by DalekTurret32: 30th January 2020, 06:17 PM

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post 7th February 2020, 06:59 PM
Post #88
Group icon

06/02/2020

#95. CamelPhat and Jen Cooke - Rabbit Hole
CamelPhat brings some great dark house production as always. And while I don’t like this as much as Breathe (the other song they did with Jen Cooke), it’s still a nice track to vibe to in the night.

#93. Sonya Belousova and Giona Ostinelli feat. Joey Batey - Toss A Coin To Your Witcher (from The Witcher)
You wouldn’t expect a song with such a traditional, medieval timbre in the charts nowadays. This song (from the new Netflix show The Witcher, which was adapted from a series of books by Andrzej Sapkowski) conveys that medieval atmosphere brilliantly with its arrangement of strings, as well as a lute. Joey Batey (who plays the character of Jaskier) gives off a really good performance with a great application of traditional terminology in the lyrics.

#90. James Blunt - Monsters
A James Blunt song just entered the charts. Time to pull out the obligatory Gavin And Stacey clip then!

Anyway, this is a piano ballad which James Blunt wrote for his father. The lyrics are heartfelt and his performance on this is solid.

#82. Ali Gatie - What If I Told You That I Love You
There’s some decent instrumentation, and I like the part where Gatie finds out that his desired love is with another man, but hopes the best for them, but nearly every lyric is “if I did this would you do this to me back” and I’m not fond of the “lo-lo-lo” melisma in the chorus.

#75. GRM Daily feat. Nafe Smallz x Yxng Bane x Blade Brown x Skrapz - Faith In My Killy
Smallz and Bane have some noticeable autotune in their vocals, but I like most of the topics in the song that are centered around the two artists’ upbringings, their conflicts with the police and being betrayed by people who they thought were friends. This track is also another good example of two artists taking turns in giving out verses.

#61. Joel Corry - Lonely
A song in which a girl is moving on from a breakup and doesn’t need her ex back in her life. She gives some solid elaboration on how this guy caused the end of the relationship and that he’s only wanting her because he feels down. I would have liked this but the “l-l-l-l” part on the post-chorus and the repetitive bridge turned me off a bit, and the ‘buildup to a drop’ section felt shoved in.

#60. M Huncho feat. Headie One - Head Huncho
#50. M Huncho feat. D-Block Europe - Indulge
#32. M Huncho - Pee Pee
We’ve got two sets of three album tracks on the chart. The first one is from M Huncho’s Huncholini The 1st.
I like that Gamelan inspired beat on Head Huncho. Huncho does tend to repeat a few lines, and the melodic autotune style doesn’t fit Headie One too well.
In the 2nd verse of Indulge, the volume in the vocals keeps changing for some odd reason. The lyrics were meh for the most part, but the autotuned outro weighed the overall song down further.
I like the beat to Pee Pee and Huncho has some good flows. The ‘pee pee’ line in the chorus was a bit gross, and the end of the 2nd verse is just on a loop where he repeats a line about how this girl is like Keke.

#43. Dominic Frisby - 17 Million F**k Offs (A Brexit Song)
The organ intro sounded good, but I wasn’t fond of most of the vocal melodies. It then switches up to a folk style which sounds quite pleasant. My main problem with the song is that it crams in too many names of people who are pro-EU (though this is more evident in the 2020 update of that song, especially in that last verse), thus ending up being more tell than show.

#30. Andre Rieu and Johann Strauss Orchestra - Ode To Joy - Final Movement From Symphony No. 9, Op. 125 / Live
The first piece of music in the Classical genre reach the Top 40 for the first time since Ludovico Einaudi’s I Giorni in 2011 (did I miss anything after that?).
There are some fantastic orchestral arrangements and the choir sings beautifully. It’s just the 1st verse of Ode To Joy repeated three times (with the third time resulting in a key change of a major 4th). The overall arrangement of the classic 1785 poem by Friedrich Schiller is really good.

#21. J Hus feat. Koffee - Repeat
#19. J Hus feat. Icee TGM - Big Conspiracy
#11. J Hus feat. Burna Boy - Play Play
The other set of three album tracks comes from J Hus’ Big Conspiracy album. I actually liked it more than Common Sense
Repeat is more of a Koffee song, as she is more present than Hus, but she made some good verses on this.
The album opener (with the same name as the album it’s in) sets the mood of the album greatly with a nice acoustic guitar and a natural sounding beat. J Hus is reflective of his past in his song and he sings (and raps) about it well. I also like the vocal contributions from Icee TGM. She has a good singing voice.
Play Play is a song about guns and girls. The gun metaphor recurring throughout this track isn’t a very good one, but I find the instrumental with the F7-E7 chords to be a swell beat. I even like the hint of the theremin popping up in the verses (at least that's what I think is playing).

Fave Of The Week has to go to Toss A Coin To Your Witcher by Sonya Belousova, Giona Ostinelli and Joey Batey. There were three songs that I had to choose from for the honorable mention, but in the end, I settled with Ode To Joy by Andre Rieu and The Johann Strauss Orchestra.
My least fave of the entries is probably Indulge by M Huncho and D-Block Europe.

#95. CamelPhat and Jen Cooke - Rabbit Hole [8/10]
#93. Sonya Belousova and Giona Ostinelli feat. Joey Batey - Toss A Coin To Your Witcher (from The Witcher) [9/10] (Fave Of The Week)
#90. James Blunt - Monsters [7/10]
#82. Ali Gatie - What If I Told You That I Love You [5/10]
#75. GRM Daily feat. Nafe Smallz x Yxng Bane x Blade Brown x Skrapz - Faith In My Killy [7/10]
#61. Joel Corry - Lonely [6/10]
#60. M Huncho feat. Headie One - Head Huncho [7/10]
#50. M Huncho feat. D-Block Europe - Indulge [5/10] (Least Fave Of The Week)
#43. Dominic Frisby - 17 Million F**k Offs (A Brexit Song) [6/10 (for the 2019 original), 5.5/10 (for the 2020 update)]
#32. M Huncho - Pee Pee [6.5/10]
#30. Andre Rieu and Johann Strauss Orchestra - Ode To Joy - Final Movement From Symphony No. 9, Op. 125 / Live [8/10] (FOTW HM)
#21. J Hus feat. Koffee - Repeat [7/10]
#19. J Hus feat. Icee TGM - Big Conspiracy [8/10]
#11. J Hus feat. Burna Boy - Play Play [7/10]

This post has been edited by DalekTurret32: 7th February 2020, 07:00 PM

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post 9th February 2020, 10:53 PM
Post #89
Group icon

13/02/2020

#99. Tones And I - Never Seen The Rain
I like how Tones discusses the fear of failure in this song. I would have loved the last chorus to build upon the instrumental textures, besides the start of the chorus having just vocals and piano. Also, how can you smell the rain?

#91. OFB feat. Double Lz and Bandokay - OT Boppin'
Approximately half a year after NSG put out the OT Bop, OFB (who also have three initials) reference it in the chorus of this new track. It starts off with a No Diet style instrumental like on DigDat’s Ei8ht Mile. I don’t like this as much as the aforementioned track, but despite some lines that felt too dark, I still think it’s pretty adequate.

#88. Meghan Treat Myself Trainor feat. Nicki Minaj - Nice To Meet Ya
There are some good vocal melodies on this, especially with the use of the vocoder in the 1st verse. The execution of the self-empowerment themes are pretty solid, even though it can be smug at points. Nicki’s verse, however, weighs it down as she brags about things that aren’t related to the themes of the song.

#67. Headie One, Fred again.. - Charades
There were a few decent lines and there’s a decent beat, but I'm not a fan of the melodic vocal style that Headie has on this song.

#61. Justin Bieber feat. Kehlani - Get Me
Bieber continues his R&B style on this and it's better than Yummy. Unlike that song, I quite like the chorus on this one. It’s a smooth tune, and both of the artists fit the beat well.

#58. Gorillaz feat. Slowthai and Slaves - Momentary Bliss
Gorillaz give off a great blend of synth-pop and psychedelic rock in this song. The beginning and ending parts of the song have these dreamy Mac DeMarco esque guitars, before switching to a synth pattern accompanied by guitar chords. Isaac Holman and 2D are great fits for the dreamy parts of the song, and Slowthai comes with full buckets of raw energy like he usually does. He is such a treat to listen to!

#57. Taylor Swift - Only The Young (from Taylor Swift: Miss Americana)
Taylor’s new song, which he wrote for her forthcoming documentary Miss Americana, sounds powerful. It’s basically saying “we’re the new generation and we run this place” and it embraces that rebellious mindset fantastically, with the choir vocals added to make a call-and-response effect to represent the yelling of the young ones.
The chorus also sounds like it’s going for a four chord structure (I-V-vi-IV), but instead of the last two expected chords of that structure, it augments the vi chord and uses III as the fourth chord instead of a IV. I applaud this variation in chord structure. The percussion on this reminds me of Dua Lipa’s Swan Song, which also bears a similar potent feel.

#12. Dua Lipa - Physical
This is just oozing with that synthesized 80s energy and Dua smashes her performance. This song is about ‘getting physical’, as well as dancing, and the lyrics manage to stay subtle enough to make the vibe truly work. To add to the 1980s influences, Dua gives a shoutout to Olivia Newton John’s 1981 hit Physical.
Also, is it me or does the way she sing “Come on!” remind me of when Kele Okereken did the same on Bloc Party’s 2012 song Octopus?

#11. KSi feat. Trippie Redd - Wake Up Call
The synths in this feel upbeat and colourful, as does the beat in general. I really like Trippie’s chorus. While they’re not on the level of Can You Rap Like Me or Dark Knight Dummo, his voice compliments the synths really well, as does KSi. His brags come off as enjoyable thanks to the upbeat feel of the production. Overall, this song is easily my favourite from KSi.

On the whole, this was a really good week for debuts. It's also the first week to have more than one gold song since 21/11/2019. Momentary Bliss by Gorillaz, Slowthai and Slaves is an easy pick for my favourite of this week, with Physical by Dua Lipa getting an honorable mention. My least fave of these is Charades by Headie One and Fred again.

#99. Tones And I - Never Seen The Rain [7/10]
#91. OFB feat. Double Lz and Bandokay - OT Boppin' [7/10]
#88. Meghan Treat Myself Trainor feat. Nicki Minaj - Nice To Meet Ya [7/10]
#67. Headie One, Fred again.. - Charades [6/10] (Least Fave Of The Week)
#61. Justin Bieber feat. Kehlani - Get Me [7/10]
#58. Gorillaz feat. Slowthai and Slaves - Momentary Bliss [GOLD] (Fave Of The Week)
#57. Taylor Swift - Only The Young (from Taylor Swift: Miss Americana) [9/10]
#12. Dua Lipa - Physical [GOLD] (FOTW HM)
#11. KSi feat. Trippie Redd - Wake Up Call [9/10]

+Quote this post
Brer
post 10th February 2020, 02:00 AM
Post #90
Group icon

30 Jan:
9.5 Godzilla [Honourable Mention]
7.5 Ei8ht Mile
6 Those Kinda Nights
8 Darkness
7 What A Man Gotta Do
6.5 Me & You Together Song
5 Black Swan [Dishonourable Mention]
10 Blue World [Best of the Week]
6.5 Circles
4 Cause A Commotion [Worst of the Week]

'Blue World' easily my favourite new top 100 hit of the year to date, first to get a 10/10 <3 nothing really bad this week but not greatly impressed by Bugzy Malone. I'd have given BTS a higher score if the music video version with the extra orchestration was the version actually released, sadly the studio version is pretty meh.

6 Feb:
6 Play Play
7 Big Conspiracy
7.5 Repeat
7.5? Ode To Joy [Honourable Mention]
4 Pee Pee
0 17 Million Fuck-Offs [Worst of the Week]
0.5 Indulge [Dishonourable Mention]
5.5 Head Huncho
3 Lonely
6.5 Faith In My Killy
3 What If I Told You That I Love You
7.5 Monsters
5 Toss A Coin To Your Witcher
8 Rabbit Hole [Best of the Week]

So many new entries and nearly nothing worth keeping, CamelPhat get BOTW pretty easily despite this being nowhere near their best song. 'Ode To Joy' is kind of hard to rate against the rest but it is a very pleasant piece of music, I'll give it the HM but it kind of says it all about this week that the HM very nearly went to James Blunt of all people laugh.gif The combination of M Huncho and D-Block Europe was as horrifying as expected but saved from WOTW due to the Dominic Frisby thing being aggressively unfunny and just jarring as a piece of 'music' (the 2020 version is even worse than the original as it stretches the 'joke' on far, far, far too long). 'Pee Pee' has some enjoyable elements to it (mainly the production as per with M Huncho but his verses are actually more enjoyable than usual) but unfortunately the chorus is pretty awful which makes it impossible to take seriously. 'Head Huncho' is probably M Huncho's best song to date primarily due to Headie One's part. The Witcher thing... I just don't get it.

13 Feb:
5 Wake Up Call
9.5 Physical [Honourable Mention]
6.5 Only The Young
9.5 Momentary Bliss [Best of the Week]
4 Get Me [Dishonourable Mention]
6 Charades
7 Nice To Meet Ya
5 OT Boppin
2 Never Seen The Rain [Worst of the Week]

Super close between Gorillaz and Dua for BOTW but the Gorillaz song has been growing on me more. Tones And I gets WOTW, shocker, I actually will take this one any day over 'Dance Monkey' (and 'Johnny Run Away') as the hideous vocals are much less prominent here (only on the verses, the chorus vocals are fine). But the song itself is still just extremely drab, it's like a female Tom Walker song. I've given 'Get Me' a lower rating than I originally gave 'Yummy' but I do actually think it's slightly better (although still very tedious), 'Yummy' can be downgraded to a 2.5 or so in retrospect xx 'Wake Up Call' is a 7.5 for Trippie's part and a 2 for KSI's part, averaging out to a meh. 'Charades' I think I'd be quite into if not for the autotune getting a little too heavy towards the end.

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post 21st February 2020, 06:34 PM
Post #91
Group icon

20/02/2020 (WOW, ALL TWO'S AND ZERO'S)

#99. Doja Cat - Boss Bitch (from Birds Of Prey)
I like the early 2010’s club style in this, and Doja’s flows clash well with the sounds of those bells. The bell sounds on this remind me of Shamir's 2014 song On The Regular, which I also really like.

#93. Nathan Dawe feat. JayKae - Flowers
A house remix of the 2000 UK garage classic of Sweet Female Attitude of the same name. It was a song about this girl that can’t live without this guy and will go as far as to bring flowers to him in the rain. It’s a bit over the top, but the garage production gave a lot of grooves to it. Dawe isn’t the only artist to give a modern touch to this UK garage hit. Krept And Konan and M.O have used this sample in their works.
I don’t like the house remix as much. Jaykae’s rap verse was cheesy, but pretty decent. He also did a UK garage throwback not too long ago with Chat (which I prefer over this).

#90. Pop Smoke feat. Quavo - Shake The Room
Smoke’s chorus mostly consists of ad-libs a la Playboi Carti. But what I liked about Carti’s style of ad-libs is that they enhanced the fast-paced energy of his songs. I feel like the song is too slow moving for the string of ad-libs to work (though I quite like the ‘woo’ ad-lib). The verses are fine and it’s interesting to see an American drill artist get a crossover to the UK.
RIP Pop Smoke. May you rest in peace.

#82. Lil Mosey - Blueberry Faygo
It’s mainly bragging about guns and girls, but I quite like the upbeat production on this along with the vocal samples in the mix.

#79. Sam Fischer - This City
An acoustic song with a decent dive into heartbreak. The guitar clicks throughout are noticeably distracting, but the piano touches in the chorus help give the song a bit more texture.

#70. Niall Horan - No Judgement
Niall is in a relationship where the only people judging their flaws are those surrounding them. Not as good as Nice To Meet Ya, but still pretty solid

#69. Nicki Minaj - Yikes
I feel like I should like this more than I do. The piano line is quite simple, but it has Nicki showing off her assertiveness over a dark trap beat (which I usually like).

#68. 5 Seconds Of Summer - No Shame
This has some of that fiery rock power that made Youngblood such a great song and some of that provocative imagery in the lyrics of Teeth.

#54. Mo'Stack - Staqdo
The chilled beat is really good and Stack vibes into it well. Plus that saxophone solo near the end was so smooth.

#50. Lil Pino - Mya Mills
Harpsichord instrumental sounds pleasant, but I do not like Pino’s high range autotuned vocals in this.

#46. Joji - Run
The reverb effect on the electric guitar gives it an 80s goth rock sound that is remindful of the works that The Sisters Of Mercy did around that time. The lyrics see Joji reveal emotional layers of himself as he is struggling to cope with the fact that a former lover of his is in a new relationship. This also comes with some haunting harmonisation in the chorus.

#43. NSG - Ourself
It may get cheesy at points like with the line “Rather catch a cold than catch feelings/So I put ice on my neck in winter season”, but it does have a pleasant guitar line to bump it up a bit.

#36. Anne-Marie - Birthday
Starts off okay until the chorus with the gang vocals shouting “It’s my birthday!”. I don’t mind seeing rebellious lyrics in music, but the execution of them, as well as the production, come off as pretty obnoxious and the outro sounds a tad claustrophobic.

#34. Khalid and Disclosure - Know Your Worth
This is the type of song that I imagined Khalid and Disclosure would put out when I first heard about Talk last year. There’s some nice instrumentation from Disclosure as usual and Khalid brings in a humble personality along with it

#32. M24 feat. Tion Wayne - London
A rap track about crushing on girls from different British locations. The drill beat gives off a good, dark atmosphere, but that ‘uhh-uhh’ ad-lib in the chorus is pretty distracting. The ass lines in that chorus don’t help either.

#31. Tobi & Manny feat. Janelle - Destined For Greatness
The themes in this song are basically a ‘started from the bottom’ concept. Tobi and Manny do a pretty good exploration of these themes and Janelle’s part is pretty good. Would have liked it better if it was expanded upon with a 2nd verse.

#29. The Pussycat Dolls - React
The Dolls are back with their first charting single in 11 years. It's a song in which you should feel bad for not reacting to this girl. Not too good of a concept, but the production is quite good.

#14. Justin Bieber feat. Quavo - Intentions
Aside from Yummy, this R&B lane is alright for the Bieb. The first verse does open with the cheesy line “Shout out to your mum and dad for makin’ you”, but Quavo stays on topic and the beat’s pretty good

This was an okay week overall. Not a lot of greats in there. My favourite of the eighteen entries has got to be Run by Joji, with Boss Bitch by Doja Cat taking the spot for honorable mention. My least fave of them is Birthday by Anne-Marie.

#99. Doja Cat - Boss Bitch (from Birds Of Prey) [9/10] (FOTW HM)
#93. Nathan Dawe feat. JayKae - Flowers [6.5/10]
#90. Pop Smoke feat. Quavo - Shake The Room [6/10]
#82. Lil Mosey - Blueberry Faygo [6.5/10]
#79. Sam Fischer - This City [7/10]
#70. Niall Horan - No Judgement [7/10]
#69. Nicki Minaj - Yikes [6/10]
#68. 5 Seconds Of Summer - No Shame [8/10]
#54. Mo'Stack - Staqdo [7/10]
#50. Lil Pino - Mya Mills [5/10]
#46. Joji - Run [9/10] (Fave Of The Week)
#43. NSG - Ourself [7/10]
#36. Anne-Marie - Birthday [5/10] (Least Fave Of The Week)
#34. Khalid and Disclosure - Know Your Worth [8/10]
#32. M24 feat. Tion Wayne - London [5/10]
#31. Tobi & Manny feat. Janelle - Destined For Greatness [7/10]
#29. The Pussycat Dolls - React [6.5/10]
#14. Justin Bieber feat. Quavo - Intentions [7/10]

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post 28th February 2020, 05:41 PM
Post #92
Group icon

27/02/2020

#99. A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie - Me And My Guitar
#91. A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie - Thug Love
#53. A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie feat. Roddy Ricch, Gunna and London On Da Track - Numbers
We’ve got two short album bombs this week. The first of them being from A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie’s new album Artist 2.0.
I like the reverb guitar in Thug Love, and I give credit to A Boogie for getting personal in the lyrics of his verse, but I’m not fond of that chorus (and last verse) where he sings about making thug love and that he finds his girl pretty when she cries.
As for the two other songs, I find them to be quite decent. Me And My Guitar has him sing about heartbreak and regret while a guitar accompanies him. Both A Boogie and Roddy Ricch have good flows in Numbers over an acoustic guitar, plus Roddy’s post-chorus reminds me of his chorus in Start Wit Me. Gunna’s verse is my least fave of the three, but his verse was okay.

#96. Migos feat. Travis Scott and Young Thug - Give No Fxk
Migos put on some pretty fun verses on this, though Offset’s brag about taking a ‘rich shit’ in a golden toilet was pretty gross and the chorus is kinda repetitive. Young Thug’s verse consists of mainly ad-libs, but Travis’ might probably be my fave of the verses.

#89. Tame Impala - Lost In Yesterday
#78. Tame Impala - Borderline
#59. Tame Impala - Breathe Deeper
The other short album bomb comes from Tame Impala’s fantastic album The Slow Rush. It’s my 2nd favourite album of 2020 so far, behind Squarepusher’s Be Up A Hello.
Lost In Yesterday encourages the listener to forget about the past and focus more on the present, while also embracing that nostalgia when necessary. The spacy, upbeat synths feel relaxing and cathartic with some brilliant production values to them.
Borderline sees Parker’s character at a rocky point in an unstable relationship. While gradually becoming more sober, he starts to wonder if he will be ‘known and loved’. The original was brilliant, but the album version is even better, with more hard hitting drums to get me into the mood, as well as the addition of more synth grooves. The album version also shortens the last chorus and adds a 3rd verse, which I like since the ongoing repetition of the last chorus can cause it to wear out its spark. The angelic sounding flute was also a nice touch. Easily my favourite off of the album next to One More Hour.
Breathe Deeper sees our protagonist handle stress and negativity by meditating, like with what Ariana Grande did on breathin’ two years ago, except with a more psychedelic touch. The synths have a chord progression that remind me of Mtume’s 1983 song Juicy Fruit (which you may recognize as the sample from The Notorious BIG’s hip hop classic Juicy). The piano chords that come before the chorus make the song feel more uplifting. I love them!
There’s also an added synth pattern near the end that reminds me of Daft Punk in their Homework era.

#84. Surfaces - Sunday Best
An uplifting R&B tune about feeling joyful with a piano and a cowbell. The claps do feel out of place, but the organ at the end sounds very good.

#73. Pop Smoke - Dior
It’s mainly brand name mentions and flexing, but Smoke has some good flows to go with the beat as well as some wordplay on AirBNB. I also liked the “Bitch, I’m a thot, get me lit!” callback to Welcome To The Party.

#68. Powfu feat. Beabadoobee - death bed
The pitched up sample from Beabadoobee’s 2017 song Coffee, as well as the guitars in the track, adds a relaxing lo-fi feel to the piece. The song may focus on a relationship coming to an end, with Powfu admittings to his faults and feeling guilty following the end of a relationship, but the Beabadoobee sample and the line “I don’t wanna pass away” could also imply that Powfu is coming close to death. Whatever way you put it, it’s still a nice, heartwarming song.

#64. 24KGOLDN - City Of Angels
Really good electric guitar instrumental in this. I also like the chorus in which 24KGOLDN sings about how he would rather have fun in LA (which ‘city of angels’ is a nickname for, according to Urban Dictionary) than die young. If this was expanded upon with a 2nd verse, and/or maybe another chorus, I would like this more. But for what it is, it’s a good enough song.

#60. JAY1 feat. JB Scofield - Flex
Likin’ that minimalistic cowbell beat, plus our two artists show off a good amount of charisma on this.

#35. B Young - WINE
An acoustic guitar driven song in which B Young attempts to serenade a girl. He tells her ‘not to waste her wine’ (weird thing to sing in a serenade, but understandable since some of us tend to waste our drinks) and sings about making their bed creak (Lovely!). There’s also the ‘no other man can do it like I do’ cliche which can often come off as arrogant

#29. Justin Bieber feat. Post Malone and Clever - Forever
A song in which Bieber wants to be with this girl forever, or in his words ‘forever-ever-ever’. The added syllables and melisma in the chorus can feel off-putting and forced, especially in the ‘turn me back like woah-oh’ part. The lyrics are a bit clingy and the verse from Clever(...-ever-ever) has him sing about how this girl’s ‘favourite hiding place’ is his chest and was pretty cheesy.

#20. Sam Smith - To Die For
The first ballad from Sam Smith in a while, and it’s a heartbreaker. In this song, Smith feels like an outcast as he sees couples having fun on a sunny day while he is without a lover. He also uses a vocoder effect reminiscent of what Bon Iver did on 22, A Million and what Low did on Double Negative to convey a sense of emotion.

#1. Billie Eilish - No Time To Die
The orchestral string arrangements make this fitting for a Bond theme, and Billie explores romantic betrayal in the lyrics. The dark tone compliments her singing style really well. Not my favourite Bond theme (that would have to be Adele’s Skyfall), but it’s really good

Both my favourite and honorable mention this week are by Tame Impala, with the former going to Borderline and the latter going to Lost In Yesterday. If I had to pick a honourable mention that was a different artist, I would probably choose To Die For by Sam Smith.
My least favourite of the week has to be Forever by Justin Bieber, Post Malone and Clever.

#99. A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie - Me And My Guitar [7/10]
#96. Migos feat. Travis Scott and Young Thug - Give No Fxk [6.5/10]
#91. A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie - Thug Love [5/10]
#89. Tame Impala - Lost In Yesterday [GOLD] (FOTW HM)
#84. Surfaces - Sunday Best [7/10]
#78. Tame Impala - Borderline [GOLD] (Fave Of The Week)
#73. Pop Smoke - Dior [7/10]
#68. Powfu feat. Beabadoobee - death bed [8/10]
#64. 24KGOLDN - City Of Angels [8/10]
#60. JAY1 feat. JB Scofield - Flex [8/10]
#59. Tame Impala - Breathe Deeper [GOLD]
#53. A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie feat. Roddy Ricch, Gunna and London On Da Track - Numbers [7/10]
#35. B Young - WINE [6/10]
#29. Justin Bieber feat. Post Malone and Clever - Forever [5/10] (Least Fave Of The Week)
#20. Sam Smith - To Die For [9/10]
#1. Billie Eilish - No Time To Die [8/10]

23/03/2020 edit: Just realised I got the wrong song for #99. It's "Me And My Guitar" and not "King Of My City"

This post has been edited by DalekTurret32: 23rd March 2020, 11:58 PM

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post 4th March 2020, 12:26 PM
Post #93
Group icon

05/03/2020

#100. BTS - Filter
#21. BTS - ON
Kicking this week off are two tracks from BTS’ new album Map Of The Soul: 7. I have listened to it, and I thought it was pretty decent.
While I wasn’t fond of the acoustic song Filter, I quite liked ON. The 808 production may sound cluttered at points, but I like the lyrics focusing on the members facing their fears, and that bridge with Jungkook getting to the high parts of his vocal range was really good too.

#89. Selena Gomez - Feel Me
Selena’s possessive personality in the lyrics can be a turnoff (saying that this guy will always be alone as long as he’s not with her), but I like the production and that post-chorus sticks in my head nicely.

#85. Tom Grennan - This Is The Place
In this song, Grennan is dealing with a breakup and tries to forget her. It starts off decent, but the ‘You-you-you’ after the chorus weighs it down.

#77. TOKYO’S REVENGE - GOODMORNINGTOKYO!
TOKYO’S REVENGE switches between shouty and whispery deliveries in the chorus over a minimalistic flute line. The switchup is interesting, but the lyrics are not too good with lines like ‘Can’t see the bullshit, Ray Charles’ and ‘Just like a window, I’m here to air it out’ (HA!). He also talks about his thing being up for auction on eBay and how it’s downloadable from Google Drive.

#69. The 1975 - The Birthday Party
A decent song exploring Matt Healy’s mental state. It also has a nice, relaxing sound to it, though it can feel slow at times.

#67. Gerry Cinnamon - Where We're Going
The fast pace and the effects on the guitars make this sound like it came out of the late 80’s. Some really good production that the vocals blend solidly into. The song also shows Gerry messing up a lot of moments in his relationship that had the potential to be great moments, and has to find more places for him and his love. Even the ‘la-la-la’ part is quite good as it doesn’t become too much of a distraction.

#66. Poundz - Smooth Criminal
A drill track with Michael Jackson references, but Poundz also refers to Sexual Healing by Marvin Gaye in the 2nd verse.

#48. Young T & Bugsey feat. Fredo - Bully Beef
This might grow on me, like with Don't Rush and Strike A Pose, but for now, I think it's decent.

#45. Jax Jones and Martin Solveig Present EUROPA feat. RAYE - Tequila
Glad to see EUROPA back, though I don't like this as much as their previous hit single.

#40. Ashe - Moral Of The Story
In this FINNEAS produced song, Ashe goes through a wonderful exploration of love while an ambient arrangement of pianos and strings plays.

#34. Aitch - MICE
Aitch vibes really well into this beat consisting of a flute and drum kit. It sounds like something that Little Simz would rap over.

#20. The Weeknd - After Hours
The Weeknd embarks on a 6 minute long journey into his heartbreak, coming with some fantastically moody production. Also, those pitched down ‘yeahs’ that come in during the 2nd verse remind me of the sound effects that Jamie xx would use.

After Hours by The Weeknd is easily my fave of this week, with Where We're Going by Gerry Cinnamon comfortably getting the spot for honorable mention. Least Fave Of The Week is GOODMORNINGTOKYO! by TOKYO'S REVENGE.

#100. BTS - Filter [6/10]
#89. Selena Gomez - Feel Me [6/10]
#85. Tom Grennan - This Is The Place [6/10]
#77. TOKYO’S REVENGE - GOODMORNINGTOKYO! [5/10] (Least Fave Of The Week)
#69. The 1975 - The Birthday Party [7/10]
#67. Gerry Cinnamon - Where We're Going [9/10] (FOTW HM)
#66. Poundz - Smooth Criminal [7/10
#48. Young T & Bugsey feat. Fredo - Bully Beef [7/10]
#45. Jax Jones and Martin Solveig Present EUROPA feat. RAYE - Tequila [7/10]
#40. Ashe - Moral Of The Story [8/10]
#34. Aitch - MICE [8/10]
#21. BTS - ON [7/10]
#20. The Weeknd - After Hours [GOLD] (Fave Of The Week)

+Quote this post
Brer
post 5th March 2020, 06:25 PM
Post #94
Group icon

Catching up again x (btw you seem to have got the wrong A Boogie song at #99 the other week - it was 'Me And My Guitar', not 'King Of My City').

20 Feb:
6 Intentions
6.5 React
7 Destined For Greatness
1 London
7 Know Your Worth
0 Birthday [Dishonourable Mention]
7.5 Ourself
9.5 Run [Best of the Week]
0 Mya Mills [Worst of the Week]
7 Staqdó
7 No Shame
5 Yikes
7.5 No Judgement [Honourable Mention]
3 This City
5.5 Blueberry Faygo
7.5 Shake The Room
4 Flowers
5.5 Boss Bitch

Very easy pick for best of this week as 'Run' is the only song here I really love, 'No Judgement' and 'Ourself' were both low top 40 hits for me though. Meanwhile there are 3 really awful songs, Anne-Marie's latest pile of trash is lucky to avoid WOTW which it'd get in nearly any other week because D-Block Europe and associates seriously just keep outdoing themselves with seriously uncomfortable lyrics over boring production, 'Mya Mills' is a new low. 'London' is even more lucky to somehow not even be in the bottom 2 (it gets a 1 instead of a 0 purely for the meme value of the 'uh uh').

27 Feb:
8 No Time To Die
9 To Die For [Honourable Mention]
3 Forever [Worst of the Week]
4 WINE [Dishonourable Mention]
5.5 Numbers
9 Breathe Deeper [Best of the Week]
7.5 Flex
7 CITY OF ANGELS
6.5 death bed
6 Dior
8 Borderline
6 Sunday Best
8.5 Lost In Yesterday
5 Thug Love
5.5 Give No Fxk
7 Me And My Guitar

Still shocked at just how much I ended up liking 'To Die For', managing to deny Tame Impala taking both of the top 2 of the week for me (their other two songs are my 3rd and 4th faves). A pretty solid week on the whole, the two worst songs are just very monotonous/boring rather than outright bad. 'Give No Fxk' probably should be worst of the week for how insultingly low effort it is but it is kind of irritatingly catchy. I was never much of a fan of 'Dior' before (it just seems like a not as good version of 'Welcome To The Party') but it has grown on me a little going back to it since Pop Smoke's passing.

5 Mar:
8 After Hours [Best of the Week]
4 ON [Dishonourable Mention]
7 MICE
6 Moral Of The Story
6 Tequila
6 Bully Beef
2 Smooth Criminal [Worst of the Week]
7 Where We're Going
5 The Birthday Party
7.5 GOODMORNINGTOKYO! [Honourable Mention]
6.5 This Is The Place
6.5 Feel Me
5 Filter

'After Hours' probably could continue to grow on me more but it takes BOTW pretty easily anyway, most of the other newies this week after varying shades of average/ok. Just heard 'GOODMORNINGTOKYO!' for the first time now and it is quite a banger, very reminiscent of early XXXTENTACION songs. 'Smooth Criminal' is just yet another Russ clone and the least inspiring one yet, no edge to it at all. And sadly I'm just not getting anything at all out of BTS' latest songs, they're surely capable of better than the mediocre mush of 'ON'.

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post 17th March 2020, 07:39 PM
Post #95
Group icon

12/03/2020

#98. Brent Faiyaz - Trust
The beat sounds quite chilled and Faiyaz gives off some nice 90’s R&B like vocals throughout. It’s good to vibe to.

#80. Lil Uzi Vert - That Way
Uzi blends well with the spacy production, but the Backstreet Boys interpolation feels forced.

#78. Lil Baby - Emotionally Scarred
#66. Lil Baby feat. Gunna - Heatin' Up
We’ve got two tracks from Lil Baby’s album My Turn.
He reveals some personal parts of himself on Emotionally Scarred. This is evident on the 2nd verse where he cuts off his friends and even drips a ‘tear of joy’ upon watching his son play with his toys. I also like how the song opens up with the keyboard and flutes
He and Gunna collab on Heatin’ Up, like with their Drip Harder project from 2018. The voice gasping “Hot!” on the chorus reminds me of that Young Thug song of a similar name. The strings sound decent too. But there was a line from Gunna in which he raps about 'sticking it' and 'feeling it in her gut' that was really not good.

#55. Unknown T - Fresh Home
Unknown T talks about busting a case and coming back as a well-known rapper in the chorus of this track, with a pretty good dark beat to it.

#44. SZA and Justin Timberlake - The Other Side [Trolls: World Tour]
Really uplifting gospel like song. SZA and JT give off some great vocal performances to fit with the production and I especially like the 80s synth touches on the chorus. I might like this more than Can’t Stop The Feeling

#28. Mabel - Boyfriend
Mabel sings about how even though she doesn’t need a man, she still wants a boyfriend. But what if that boyfriend is a man? I also feel like the pre-chorus tries a bit too hard to be empowering.
That noise making part, which was taken from The Blueboy’s 1996 club classic Remember Me, which in turn was sampled from Marlena Shaw’s 1969 song Woman Of The Ghetto, weirdly works though.

#5. Lady Gaga - Stupid Love
Gaga is back with some synthpop excellence. Plus, the song is produced by Tchami and BloodPop (now that’s two names I haven’t heard in a while).

I might need more time to digest this Gaga song but for now, I really like it. It's my favourite of this week, with The Other Side by SZA and Justin Timberlake coming close with an honorable mention. There were a few songs I found to be just okay, but if I had to choose my least favourite of them, it would have to be Boyfriend by Mabel.

#98. Brent Faiyaz - Trust [8/10]
#80. Lil Uzi Vert - That Way [6/10]
#78. Lil Baby - Emotionally Scarred [7/10]
#66. Lil Baby feat. Gunna - Heatin' Up [6/10]
#55. Unknown T - Fresh Home [7/10]
#44. SZA and Justin Timberlake - The Other Side [Trolls: World Tour] [9/10] (FOTW HM)
#28. Mabel - Boyfriend [6/10] (Least Fave Of The Week)
#5. Lady Gaga - Stupid Love [9/10] (Fave Of The Week)

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post 24th March 2020, 12:11 AM
Post #96
Group icon

19/03/2020

#97. Katy Perry - Never Worn White
A piano ballad in which Katy wants a long-lasting relationship but she feels like she isn’t ready for the wedding experience. The song feels a bit slow at points, but it’s okay enough. There’s also an interpolation of Mendelssohn’s Wedding March on the piano in the beginning and it fits better than when it was sampled on Pet Shop Boys’ Wedding In Berlin from a few months ago.

#84. Jhene Aiko - PU$$Y Fairy (OTW)
#64. Jhene Aiko feat. H.E.R. - B.S.
We’ve got two songs from Jhene Aiko’s new album Chilombo.
PU$$Y Fairy can get weird, like when she sings about this guy’s d**k making her soul smile, but the production and the tone fit the themes nicely and convey a solid sense of sexual tension.
In B.S., Jhene is sick of her (soon to be ex) lover taking her for granted and instead being too caught up in the sex scene, so she decides that she is fine without him and feels confident about it. It’s a decent self-empowerment anthem. Oh, and H.E.R. makes a cheesy Coldplay pun in her verse.

#71. Chunkz and Yung Filly - Clean Up
Quite like the beat, quite like the verses for the most part. A few bits of autotune every now and then but it’s decent overall.

#62. Darkoo and Hardy Caprio - Juicy
Some of that upbeat spark from Gangsta lies in this song, and I might end up liking the instrumentation on this one more. Darkoo is pretty fun like on her last song and Hardy Caprio’s verse amused me way more than it should’ve.

#39. BENEE feat. Gus Dapperton - Supalonely
A nice blend of Billie Eilish and Tame Impala. The keyboard and guitars provide a chill feel and even the ‘la-la-la’ lines blend smoothly into the atmosphere. There is some noticeable autotune, but that doesn’t completely hold the song back.

#37. Lil Uzi Vert - P2
#36. Lil Uzi Vert - Baby Pluto
Another small duo of album tracks, and it comes from Lil Uzi Vert’s long awaited album Eternal Atake. I haven’t heard the album in full, but I’m glad that Uzi got to put out the album that he was trying to release the past year, especially after hearing about his struggles with his record label from a video by BlackySpeakz.
Both the album opener and the album closer have debuted
P2 is okay but Uzi’s voice on the chorus sounds too similar to that of XO Tour Llif3. The spacy production on Baby Pluto is a good fit for Uzi’s style. His flow on the chorus is good, though it does take a while for the percussion to come in and some of the brags aren’t that good.

#35. Demi Lovato - I Love Me
The self-empowerment message looks good, but the production on the chorus sounds messy as it switches between super anthemic and calm, blocky pianos; it feels abrupt.

#26. Da Beatfreakz feat. D-Block Europe x Krept & Konan x Deno - Self-Obsessed
I like the beat, especially with its expanded textures in the chorus. The true highlight of Pumpy and Motorola has to be the production. Da Beatfreakz manage to craft some good melodies with the instrumentation they add in.
However, we do come across some bad lines such as a girl having her eyes on ‘banana’ on Krept & Konan’s verse (I don't know which of the two said it though).

#3. Aitch and AJ Tracey feat. Tay Keith - Rain
Aitch and AJ Tracey deliver some great flows and catchy bars over a HUMBLE-esque piano driven beat. We also get one of the sound effects from SICKO MODE, which Tay Keith also produced (albeit the third segment of that song).

And this is another Top 10 debut ending up as my favourite of the week, with Supalonely by BENEE and Gus Dapperton as the honorable mention.
I'm unsure as to whether my least favourite is I Love Me or Self-Obsessed. The latter might show signs of growing on me mainly due to the production, so maybe the former? I don't know!

#97. Katy Perry - Never Worn White [6/10]
#84. Jhene Aiko - PU$$Y Fairy (OTW) [7/10]
#64. Jhene Aiko feat. H.E.R. - B.S. [7/10]
#71. Chunkz and Yung Filly - Clean Up [7/10]
#62. Darkoo and Hardy Caprio - Juicy [7/10]
#39. BENEE feat. Gus Dapperton - Supalonely [8/10] (FOTW HM)
#37. Lil Uzi Vert - P2 [6/10]
#36. Lil Uzi Vert - Baby Pluto [7/10]
#35. Demi Lovato - I Love Me [6/10] (Least Fave Of The Week [tie])
#26. Da Beatfreakz feat. D-Block Europe x Krept & Konan x Deno - Self-Obsessed [6/10] (Least Fave Of The Week [tie])
#3. Aitch and AJ Tracey feat. Tay Keith - Rain [9/10] (Fave Of The Week)

This post has been edited by DalekTurret32: 24th March 2020, 12:12 AM

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post 31st March 2020, 10:27 PM
Post #97
Group icon

26/03/2020

#95. The Killers - Caution
The hazey guitars sound great and Brandon Flowers gives a really good vocal performance to go with them. I also like how the girl is described in the verses. Also, that guitar solo at the end was just amazing.

#91. Niall Horan - Black And White
Niall goes for a rock style in this song, and it sounds good. He also pictures a bright future for a relationship he’s in and the Kings Of Leon style instrumentation fits the tone really well. Not my favourite off of the album (that would have to be Small Talk), but it’s solid.

#90. Ava Max - Kings & Queens
I really like the synths in the choruses and the guitar solos are quite good. Upon first listen, I thought the female empowerment themes were forced until I saw one of Ava’s annotations on Genius saying that she is using them to spread equality and reduce bullying (or something like that). I’m understanding the themes better and they are now starting to remind me of the positive message that So Am I carries.

#82. DripReport - Skechers
This is a song in which DripReport reminisces over a girl who wore light-up Skecher shoes. There’s a part in the bridge where the beat overpowers the vocals and there’s a line in which he’ll buy this girl a purse but only if she shows him her boobs. Not a huge fan

#80. Lotto Boyzz feat. Dappy - +44
Lotto Boyzz! Now that’s a name I haven’t heard in a while. This is a pleasant afrobeat song with some nice instrumentation and a catchy rimshot.

#78. Ellie Goulding feat. Blackbear - Worry About Me
The 1950’s like vocal harmonies in the refrain sound great. Ellie offers a good kiss-off anthem and while Blackbear can get a bit defensive in his verse, I give him credit for providing a perspective from the guy who Ellie is sending the kiss-off to.

#73. Doja Cat feat. Gucci Mane - Like That
Doja comes through with a sensual voice on her chorus like on Say So and blends really well into the R&B synths. Gucci’s verse was quite amusing

#65. Loski - Allegedly
The church style beat generates a dark feel and Loski comes in with some solid wordplay such as being ‘Merlin with the magic’.

#58. Lil Uzi Vert - Myron
I like the spacey production, and there’s some church bells in there too (which is another positive), but the lyrics fall into the ‘stealing your girl’ route.

#57. Rita Ora - How To Be Lonely
It's okay, but I feel like the lyrics can get a bit overdramatic.

#54. Lil Yachty feat. DaBaby and Drake - Oprah's Bank Account
I like the upbeat organ driven beat on this. Telling a girl that she looks as good as a bank account of a high profile celebrity is ridiculous, but Yachty has some fun with that line in a similar manner to an SNL skit. He does have some noticeable autotune in his vocals and Drake’s verse is probably my least fave of the three as he brags about ‘tongu[ing] down Madonna’ and ‘hid[ing] in the cave like Osama’. On the flipside, DaBaby’s verse is my fave of the three as he offers a lot of charisma as usual.

#46. iLL BLU feat. OFB, Bandokay and Double LZ - Magic
Aisa Renardus’ vocals on this feel quite UK garage, and the chimes on the drill beat sound solid.

#37. Octavian feat. Skepta - Papi Chulo
The traditional Spanish acoustic guitar sounds lovely. It reminds me of when GYLTTRYP and Mustard did something similar on YG’s Go Loko last year. Oh, and that chorus from Octavian is ‘sweet’. On the other hand, Skepta’s verse was pretty disappointing as he raps about c**ing in this girl’s spine and this p***y ‘put[ting] him into a sleeper’.

My favourite of the week is definitely Caution by The Killers, with the honorable mention going to Worry About Me by Ellie Goulding and blackbear. My least fave of the debuts is Skechers by DripReport.

#95. The Killers - Caution [GOLD] (Fave Of The Week)
#91. Niall Horan - Black And White [7/10]
#90. Ava Max - Kings & Queens [7/10]
#82. DripReport - Skechers [5/10] (Least Fave Of The Week)
#80. Lotto Boyzz feat. Dappy - +44 [7/10]
#78. Ellie Goulding feat. Blackbear - Worry About Me [8/10] (FOTW HM)
#73. Doja Cat feat. Gucci Mane - Like That [8/10]
#65. Loski - Allegedly [7/10]
#58. Lil Uzi Vert - Myron [6/10]
#57. Rita Ora - How To Be Lonely [6/10]
#54. Lil Yachty feat. DaBaby and Drake - Oprah's Bank Account [7/10]
#46. iLL BLU feat. OFB, Bandokay and Double LZ - Magic [7/10]
#37. Octavian feat. Skepta - Papi Chulo [6/10]

+Quote this post
Brer
post 1st April 2020, 12:07 AM
Post #98
Group icon

12 Mar:
6.5 Stupid Love
2 Boyfriend [Worst of the Week]
5 The Other Side
7.5 Fresh Home
7.5 Heatin Up
7.5 Emotionally Scarred [Honourable Mention]
4 That Way [Dishonourable Mention]
7.5 Trust [Best of the Week]

The most highlight-lacking week of the year so far, 'Trust' is the only one I've charted and only barely at that, giving me some slight Miguel 'Adorn' vibes. I've listened to all the Lil Baby tracks which charted on the Hot 100 and most of them are very tedious but the 2 that charted here are actually the 2 best ones (though not near as good as 'Woah') so taste I guess! Pretty good comeback track from Unknown T but it's not as good as his other 3 top 100 hits, here's hoping for better to come. The sample in 'That Way' feels extremely clunky, not one of Uzi's finest moments. Mabel continues to be disappointingly vapid.

19 Mar:
7.5 Rain [Honourable Mention]
3 Self-Obsessed [Worst of the Week]
5 I Love Me
7.5 Baby Pluto
7 P2
8.5 Supalonely [Best of the Week]
4 Juicy [Dishonourable Mention]
6.5 Clean Up
6 B.S.
6 P*$$Y FAIRY (OTW)
6 Never Worn White

This would also be a week where I'd only charted one of the new entries but 'Rain' has grown on me a fair amount since I first heard it and provided a second song that made my chart, easy win for BENEE though unexpectedly enough, a funky bop. 'P2' is hard to rate because without the context of 'XO TOUR Llif3' existing before it I'd have liked it a lot more but as it is it's not a song that I'd really ever listen to over the original. 'Baby Pluto' is one of the highlights of a sadly overwhelmingly mediocre album. Another WOTW for D-Block Europe but it gets as high as a 3 for having decent enough production and a sort of likeable verse from Deno. Darkoo's follow-up to 'Gangsta' sadly entirely uninspiring. Jhené Aiko seems to be a consistently 6/10 sort of artist for me, all her stuff is solid enough but not really anything I want to go back to. The Chunkz song is actually surprisingly not that bad, I expected something a lot more novelty but it's actually a moderately decent attempt at a serious song.

26 Mar:
5 Papi Chulo
8 Magic [Honourable Mention]
7.5 Oprah's Bank Account
1 How To Be Lonely [Worst of the Week]
5 Myron
7.5 Allegedly
7 Like That
6.5 Worry About Me
3 +44 [Dishonourable Mention]
3.5 Skechers
7 Kings & Queens
7 Black And White
9 Caution [Best of the Week]

Super happy that The Killers scraped into the top 100, their best single for me in quite a while! 'Magic' was a pleasant surprise too as I'd not really cared for anything from OFB before this but this had a bit of a different and more interesting sound to it, Loski also delivering a good UK drill track this week (a little more standard sounding but a pretty strong hook) and 'Oprah's Bank Account' has been a bit of a grower, it's basic but it does the job of what it's trying to do. Love the music video as well. Rita's song is a screechy mess, back to the drawing board please. Lotto Boyzz and Skepta balancing out the better UK rap tracks of the week with a pair of snoozers (I like Octavian's part on 'Papi Chulo' but the Skepta verse is pretty trash and the beat is very meh as well, happy for Octavian to now have a top 40 to his name but a shame it isn't with something better). The 'Skechers' thing will probably get worse with more listens, it kind of feels a bit ambiguously racist lol ~

A week ahead of you but to catch up to the current chart:

2 Apr:
8.5 In Your Eyes [Best of the Week]
6 Scorpion [Dishonourable Mention]
7.5 War [Honourable Mention]
6.5 Savage
7 Top Winners
6.5 Juliet & Romeo
7.5 Walk Em Down
5 Pour The Milk [Worst of the Week]
6.5 Don't Need Love
7.5 Want2

Nothing outright bad this week, I kind of expected to hate the Robbie Doherty thing but it was better than I expected even if still WOTW, the production is kind of ok. I at least like everything else although The Weeknd's is the only major highlight (it's not one of my absolute faves on his album but I love nearly every song on there). The three 7.5/10s are song that may or may not enter my chart this week, another solid performance from Bandokay just a week after 'Magic', B Young's best song to date even if he achieved that by just making a straight clone of a Post Malone album track, and another semi banger from NLE Choppa that appeals to the corner of my taste that appreciates an ignorant trap song about murdering people (see also: his other 2 US hits). Tinie's comeback is a very standard Not3s type song but it's better than I expected, decently catchy. I'm a little conflicted on both 'Juliet & Romeo' and 'Don't Need Love' as they both feel very generic but I could see them both growing on me.

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post 6th April 2020, 07:26 PM
Post #99
Group icon

02/04/2020

Congrats to Bre for managing to do this week before I did.

#99. B Young - Want2
Where’s Want1? Anyway, we have B Young rap over a darker beat than usual. Not too keen on this.

#87. 220 Kid and Gracey - Don't Need Love
A solid little house tune about lonely nights and empty pleasure.

#86. Robbie Doherty and Keees - Pour The Milk
A new dance remix of Tom’s Diner by Suzanne Vega from 1987. The original is basically just Vega’s vocals telling a story of her reading the newspaper in a diner and looking at the things surrounding her while occasionally imagining. The lyrics paint some really good details.
Three years later, a production duo called DNA remixed the track with a drum pattern and some nice strings to go with the mood. This is the version that not only popularized the ‘da-da-doo-doo’ part or the song in general, but also led to the birth of the MP3.
This has a faster tempo and a more house style. The speed of the verses remind me of electro swing a bit. I like the production of this, but what made the original and especially the DNA remix so great was that they pulled you into the scenario with its relaxed, thoughtful tone.

#85. NLE Choppa feat. Roddy Ricch - Walk 'Em Down
The guitar driven beat is really good. While I wasn’t a fan of the ‘down-down’ ad-lib at the end of the chorus, it wasn’t as big as a flaw as the line in which Choppa threatens to ‘f**k’ an opp like a used condom. But still, decent verses from both our artists.

#77. Martin Solveig and Roy Woods - Juliet & Romeo
I love Solveig's production on this. He combines the piano and drums together to make an uplifting beat. Roy Wood is also a good vocalist as his tone fits the production well.

#64. Tinie Tempah feat. Not3s - Top Winners
Tinie is fun on this with his brags and flows, and Not3s provides a decent chorus, even though ‘drippy drop’ is a pretty ridiculous term

#47. Megan Thee Stallion - Savage
Really like Megan’s flow on this, and the looping beat is solid.

#39. MastermindMcr feat. Bandokay - War
Bandokay’s verse is catchy despite some weird lines like ‘She throw it back, make it clap, no assembly’, but I’m not as keen on Mastermind’s verse. I feel like he slips offbeat at some points in his verse I would need some time to get used to his high range vocals.

#37. Fredo - Scorpion
It’s very common for woodwind beats to get me hooked into a hip-hop song and this is one of them. Fredo’s flows on this are good too and blend well with the beat..

#17. The Weeknd - In Your Eyes
A fantastically nostalgic cut remindful of the sounds of Daft Punk’s Random Access Memories album. The synths sound great and the saxophone sounds elevates it. I also like The Weeknd as he sees the lies in his girl’s eyes but he doesn’t let that define her.

And this Weeknd song is my favourite of this week. The honourable mention is going to Juliet & Romeo by Martin Solveig and Roy Woods. For my least fave, there wasn't too many songs below the 7/10 region this week, so I would have to go with Want2 by B Young.

#99. B Young - Want2 [6/10] (Least Fave Of The Week)
#87. 220 Kid and Gracey - Don't Need Love [7/10]
#86. Robbie Doherty and Keees - Pour The Milk [7/10]
#85. NLE Choppa feat. Roddy Ricch - Walk 'Em Down [6.5/10]
#77. Martin Solveig and Roy Woods - Juliet & Romeo [8/10] (FOTW HM)
#64. Tinie Tempah feat. Not3s - Top Winners [7/10]
#47. Megan Thee Stallion - Savage [8/10]
#39. MastermindMcr feat. Bandokay - War [6/10]
#37. Fredo - Scorpion [7/10]
#17. The Weeknd - In Your Eyes [GOLD] (Fave Of The Week)

+Quote this post
Brer
post 7th April 2020, 06:45 PM
Post #100
Group icon

9 Apr:
9 Break My Heart [Best of the Week]
7 Break Up Song
5 BELIEVE IT
5 Waze
6.5 Mains
5.5 Poppin
3 Demons [Dishonourable Mention]
3 Like It Is
5 Turks
5.5 Wildflower
7.5 WHATS POPPIN [Honourable Mention]
2 Midnight (The Hanging Tree) [Worst of the Week]
7 TRAUMA

Looks like another week which has just the one song that will make my personal chart, Dua wins this by an absolute country mile. A fairly busy week of new entries but only a couple of other songs that go above mediocrity. Jack Harlow gets the honourable mention for doing a decent DaBaby impersonation, the Little Mix song is pretty good too but not hitting me as much as I want it to and 'TRAUMA' was surprisingly decent considering how deathly dull all of the singles from PARTYNEXTDOOR's album were, this one at least had some slightly more interesting production. 'Mains' and 'Waze' are both decent enough songs but dragged down by Young Adz' presence (more so for the latter, his part on 'Mains' is not entirely terrible but could still do without it), 'Demons' on the other hand just sounds like any old D-Block Europe song and is easily the worst of the songs I've heard from the album. Probably deserves WOTW but I have to give that to the HOSH thing on principle, 'The Hanging Tree' just does not work in the slightest turned into a dance song (the instrumental is actually not bad at all which gives it a couple of points but why tf does this exist). Other than that we've got mediocrity from all across the genre spectrum. Yay!

+Quote this post

6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 10:30 AM