BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Artist News
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> American Life: which run of singles is better?, Official or Originally planned?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Which singles run would you'd prefer?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 8
Guests cannot vote 
tommie
post 6th February 2021, 02:35 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073

QUOTE(blacksquare @ Feb 6 2021, 10:24 AM) *
I love Hollywood! I would only switch it for the 10% chance a more relatable Madonna ballad could have changed things around for the era — but as others have said, it wouldn't have.
Ageism, whilst obviously a thing, wasn't as much of a kiss of death with radio then — Gwen Stefani had her first solo hits in her mid thirties, which would never happen now. It's a shame how much that has changed.

Eh, ageism was very much a thing. I do think it's gotten worse with the youth-orientation with Spotify, but back then you might get a hit here or there if you were in your late 40s/50s if it was catchy enough (see: Cher Believe), but usually follow ups wouldn't do well. Madonna's career crashed because of a combination of American Life and her age.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
ChrisJK
post 6th February 2021, 10:26 PM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 122,015

So if leading the era with American Life was the reason everything else failed... what if the lead had been something else? Would it have been more of a success? Could she have got a bigger hit out of it? Would it have meant that follow-up singles would have stood a better chance?

What would have worked as a lead single?

Hollywood? Nothing Fails? Something else?

I am listening to Nobody Knows Me whilst I'm typing this and I think it's pretty in your face and strong enough to have led the era. It sounds close enough to what was on the Music album for it not to be such a big step away from what people were expecting; it lends itself to having a strong music video to go with it.

She didn't always lead with the title track... but at the same time I'm not sure that American Life (the song) could have been released at any other time than as the first single.

+Quote this post
tommie
post 7th February 2021, 09:06 AM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

I do think that if Hollywood or Nothing Fails had been the lead single that the era might've gone better - maybe not in the same way of snatching hit-after-hit, but I think the follow-up singles at least would've charted on Billboard Hot 100. They also would've charted better than #37 (or what number American Life got to).

This post has been edited by tommie: 7th February 2021, 09:07 AM

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 7th February 2021, 12:00 PM
Post #24
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

Whilst I really like the album, nothing on it would have saved it because it doesn't have a killer single on it. The pairings of Frozen/Ray of Light, Music/Don't Tell Me and Hung Up/Sorry couldn't be ignored but American Life/Hollywood just doesn't even vaguely compare and nothing else would have made any difference, Hollywood/Nothing Fails wouldn't have been any stronger in my eyes and likely would have just been seen as inferior versions of past glories.

+Quote this post
tommie
post 7th February 2021, 12:14 PM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(dandy* @ Feb 7 2021, 01:00 PM) *
Whilst I really like the album, nothing on it would have saved it because it doesn't have a killer single on it. The pairings of Frozen/Ray of Light, Music/Don't Tell Me and Hung Up/Sorry couldn't be ignored but American Life/Hollywood just doesn't even vaguely compare and nothing else would have made any difference, Hollywood/Nothing Fails wouldn't have been any stronger in my eyes and likely would have just been seen as inferior versions of past glories.

Oh, I don't think they necessarily would've been huge hits, but Hollywood ended up not even charting on the Hot 100 which was pretty unheard of for a second single from a Madonna album at that point. It was clear that American Life killed off any interest in it; I think at the very least Hollywood might've been a lower top 20 and Nothing Fails would've gone top 40.

+Quote this post
blacksquare
post 7th February 2021, 10:04 PM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 23,471

QUOTE(tommie @ Feb 6 2021, 03:35 PM) *
Eh, ageism was very much a thing. I do think it's gotten worse with the youth-orientation with Spotify, but back then you might get a hit here or there if you were in your late 40s/50s if it was catchy enough (see: Cher Believe), but usually follow ups wouldn't do well. Madonna's career crashed because of a combination of American Life and her age.

Oh, no no — definitely agree that ageism existed beforehand, just that now it doesn't matter how much a fanbase you have or how good the song is — a huge hit is not going to happen.

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post 9th February 2021, 12:44 AM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,031

Nobody knows me and mother & father are two album highlights for me so that would have been a better singles set.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 04:35 AM