BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
9 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Buzzjack's Top Horror Films Of All Time: The Results, FINISHED | Come Check it Out & Comment!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
JackJones
post 28th November 2016, 08:15 PM
Post #61
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 15

QUOTE(Jonjo @ Nov 28 2016, 07:33 PM) *
78. Night Of The Demon

144pts | 1980 | USA
Top 20's: JackJones (#11)

As UV is very busy atm, I've offered her some help and will be revealing some results! So up next at #78 in this countdown is a film that I'm presuming is this and isn't a similarly titled (just a plural version), Night Of The Demon. Unless it's the 1957 British version ('Curse Of The Demon' on IMDB apparently) as seen on this Wikipedia-page, here. (I have a feeling it might be)

Let me know, and I'll edit in a commentary for it! biggrin.gif

Nah, I gave my points to Night of the Demons, the 1988 film.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 28th November 2016, 08:27 PM
Post #62
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

QUOTE(JackJones @ Nov 28 2016, 08:15 PM) *
Nah, I gave my points to Night of the Demons, the 1988 film.
Thanks. I've edited the commentary to be about that film then. biggrin.gif I know NOTHING about it, so just quoted Rotten Tomatoes synopsis for it haha.

+Quote this post
JackJones
post 28th November 2016, 08:47 PM
Post #63
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 15

QUOTE(Jonjo @ Nov 28 2016, 08:27 PM) *
Thanks. I've edited the commentary to be about that film then. biggrin.gif I know NOTHING about it, so just quoted Rotten Tomatoes synopsis for it haha.

Lol, well, close enough I guess. You used the synopsis for the 2009 remake. The original is way better than the remake.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 28th November 2016, 08:50 PM
Post #64
Group icon

QUOTE(JackJones @ Nov 28 2016, 08:47 PM) *
Lol, well, close enough I guess. You used the synopsis for the 2009 remake. The original is way better than the remake.
Blame Rotten Tomatoes for that! Haha. Will change it later laugh.gif

#DISASTER

#UVWHEREAREYOUINEEDYOU

+Quote this post
Severin
post 28th November 2016, 09:20 PM
Post #65
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872

I gave a bunch of points to Night Of The Demon but it was the 1957 classic so I suspect they may have been allocated wrongly.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 28th November 2016, 09:29 PM
Post #66
Group icon

QUOTE(Severin @ Nov 28 2016, 09:20 PM) *
I gave a bunch of points to Night Of The Demon but it was the 1957 classic so I suspect they may have been allocated wrongly.
Possibly! laugh.gif I'm sure UV will rectify this when she can.

Thanks for letting us know, I'll move on soon though ;D (I think it's for the best lol)

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post 29th November 2016, 06:27 PM
Post #67
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
User: 20,835

I dont know either of them two films tbh

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 1st December 2016, 07:52 PM
Post #68
Group icon

76. Don't Look Now

147pts | 1973 | UK
Top 20's: HausOfKubrick (#05)

Let's carry on shall we. At #76 we have a movie which I've heard OF, but don't know anything about, but Bal seems to love it, so it must be good! 'Don't Look Now' is a horror film from 1973 and reading the synopsis from IMDB, it sounds pretty intriguing!

It seems to be about a couple who move to Venice on a business venture as well as hoping it helps with them dealing with the loss of their daughter, but it proves all too hard for them as there are unexplained murders happening in the city. They bump into a blind psychic and her sister who claim to see their daughter, but as the mother agrees with the idea, the father is a little more hesitant, until he starts seeing things for himself! Sounds like a true classic tbh. Seems to be raved about too, with a rating of 7.3 on IMDB and boasting a score of 96% on Rotten Tomatoes!

As I said, I haven't seen this personally, but it sounds like it could be good! One that I will be adding to my list as the general opinion seems to be that it's full of suspense and intrigue.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 1st December 2016, 08:08 PM
Post #69
Group icon

75. The Guest

154pts | 2014 | USA
Top 20's: FROOT (#17)

At #75 is the suspenseful thriller, 'The Guest'. It stars Dan Stevens and future "scream queen" Maika Monroe!

'The Guest' is about an ex-soldier who returns from war, but decides to visit his dead best friend's family, before heading home. As they welcome him into the family home and he stays longer than anyone expected to and things start taking a sinister turn, when things aren't what they seem. The family find out that their "guest" is not who he suggests he is! The movie is often remembered for it's stunning score and soundtrack and had been dubbed as a distant cousin to the movie, 'Drive'! Froot loved this enough to place it in his top 20. I think I would've but, I don't see it as a horror and see it as more of a thriller/action movie. But hey, any love for this movie and I'll TAKE IT. <3 Seemed to get generally positive reviews. Scoring a respectable 6.6 on IMDB and a staggering 90% on Rotten Tomatoes!

Definitely don't consider it a "horror" personally (although I probs scored it a bit just coz I didn't want it to score and do poorly), but I can see why some may class it as one. I highly recommend this film!

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 6th December 2016, 07:26 PM
Post #70
Group icon

74. From Dusk Till Dawn

156pts | 1996 | USA
Top 20's: JackJones (#13)

Up next is the extremely gory and very good Vampire flick, 'From Dusk Till Dawn'. Starring George Clooney, Harvey Keitel and Quentin Tarantino.

'From Dusk Till Dawn' sees two criminals take hostages and get more than they bargained for, when they turn up to a famous stripclub and it turns into a fight for survival as they all have to work together to overcome the horrifying Vampires who are clearly out there for one thing, their blood. It's a riot and really enjoyable. Even Quentin is decent in this! It's gone on to become a bit of a 90's classic and has spurred on a hit TV show (which is about to air a 3rd season)! IMDB rating is 7.3 with a respectable 64% on Rotten Tomatoes!

Really need to get around to watching this again. I've only ever seen it with my older brother when I was 10 or 11. I remember being fixated with it when it was on.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 6th December 2016, 07:38 PM
Post #71
Group icon

73. Oculus

157pts | 2014 | USA
Top 20's: Ultraviolence (#13)

Continuing the countdown next, we have recent horror 'Oculus' which stars Doctor Who & Guardians Of The Galaxy fave, Karen Gillan!

Two teenage siblings experience a fateful night as their parents are horrifically murdered one night. It is the brother, Tim, who gets the blame and is convicted of murdering their mother and father. Now in their 20's, Tim is released from protective custody and although he just wants to move on with his life, his sister, Kaylie, is determined to prove his innocence as she is sure it wasn't even someone living who murdered their parents. Kaylie tracks down the mirror that they had previously owned, only to find out that similar fates had happened to previous owners, before them. This time, she's opened it up to the spirits again and it's up to her and her brother to finally rid the mirror of the spirits! It received generally positive reviews 73% on Rotten Tomatoes and a score of 6.5 on IMDB.

I really didn't like this at all. I thought it was all a bit cheap and overall, naff and not scary or creepy in the slightest. Another horror that let me down after receiving fairly decent reviews from all over the place!

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 6th December 2016, 08:01 PM
Post #72
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

The Guest is great and Oculus is fabulous! The latter is definitely one of my favourite horror films in recent times, really clever and I adore the leads wub.gif
Really need to see Don't Look Now, looks so good! Also wouldn't mind checking out From Dusk Till Dawn!

I'll finally do some of these and the animations later tonight! (Probs about 10:45ish I'd guess!)

QUOTE(Jonjo @ Nov 28 2016, 08:50 PM) *
Blame Rotten Tomatoes for that! Haha. Will change it later laugh.gif

#DISASTER

#UVWHEREAREYOUINEEDYOU

Oops omfg laugh.gif Just seen all of this!!! drama.gif I'll just remove it from the top 100 as obviously neither of the entries would have made the top 100 by themselves so that now gives us a full top 100 instead of a top 101!

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 6th December 2016, 08:13 PM
Post #73
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

72. Night Of The Living Dead

158pts | 1968 | USA
Top 20's: Severin (#18)

Continuing the countdown next, we have legendary horror director George A Romero's first ever film 'Night Of The Living Dead', which received a top 20 from Severin!

The film was completed on a tiny $114k budget and became a financial success at the box office! The film has been a cult classic ever since but was heavily criticised on release for its explicit gore! The film eventually garnered critical acclaim and has been selected for preservation in the national Film Registry. NOFTL led to 5 subsequent films and inspired two remakes! Romero wanted to capitalize on the film industry's "thirst for the bizarre" and the film was originally called Monster Flick. Romero drew inspiration from 'I Am Legend' and props/special effects were fairly simple and limited by the budget. For example, the blood was Bosco Chocolate Syrup drizzled over cast members' bodies!!! The title again changed as it was also called 'Night Of The Flesh Eaters' but while changing the title, the copyright notice was also accidentally deleted from early releases of the film!

Will edit rest of the commentary in later tonight!

Director Doug Schulze's 2011 film Mimesis: Night of the Living Dead relates the story of a group of horror film fans who become involved in a "real-life" version of the 1968 film and the 1968 film is one of the first movies known to be distributed on the internet!

Heard of this one but not seen it, should probably check it out at some point!

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post 7th December 2016, 07:53 AM
Post #74
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
User: 20,835

Don't know any of those horrors

+Quote this post
Severin
post 7th December 2016, 12:12 PM
Post #75
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872

Don't Look Now and Night Of the Living Dead are both brilliant classics. I'm amazed you managed to review the former without mentioning one of cinema's most controversial and infamous sex scenes as well.

I haven't seen Occulus or The Guest but both sound intriguing and I will check them out.

From Dusk 'Til Dawn is great fun too

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 21st December 2016, 01:22 AM
Post #76
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

71. Friday The 13th

158pts | 1980 | USA
Top 20's: Cody (#15)

Continuing the countdown next, we have classic horror 'Friday The 13th', which has inspired multiple sequels and remakes and received a top 15 position from Cody!

Friday The 13th is an 1980 slasher film and follows a group of teenagers who are murdered one by one while attempting to re-open an abandoned campground! The film was prompted by the success of 'Halloween' and was made on an estimated budget of $550k and when originally released, the film received negative reviews! It was a big hit at the box office with just under $60m earned worldwide and in the years that followed, the film has received much more positive reviews and has become a cult classic! It was also the 1st of its kind to secure distribution in the US by a major studio, Paramount Pictures! The film's box office success led to sequels, crossovers and reboots! The film has a 59% rating on Rotten Tomatoes and was nominated for 2 Golden Raspberry's at their first ever Award ceremony, including Worst Picture! The film has been nominated for AFI's 100 Thrills and as of 2009, the film has spawned 9 sequels and in 2016, the book On Location in Blairstown: The Making of Friday the 13th was released detailing the planning and filming of the movie!

Another classic that I've never seen and I really need to get round to!

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 21st December 2016, 01:29 AM
Post #77
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

70 Evil Dead 2

163pts | 1987 | USA
Top 20's: None

Entering the top 75, we have another entry from the 'Evil Dead' franchise in form of the 2nd film!

Evil Dead II is an 1987 American comedy horror film directed by Sam Raimi and is a parody sequel! The film was a minor box office success and garnered positive reviews where critics praised Raimi's direction and Campbell's performance. Like the original, Evil Dead II also accumulated a cult following and also was followed by a third installment! The film had a bit of a troubled production, but not as bad as of a production as the first movie! The film is critically acclaimed and has a fantastic 98% rating on Rotten Tomatoes! Entertainment Weekly ranked the film #19 on their list of Top 50 Cult Films, Sight & Sound put it #34 on their 50 funniset films of all time and Empire ranked it the 49th best film of all time in 2008! Also, in 2016, James Charisma of Playboy ranked the film #12 on a list of 15 Sequels That Are Way Better Than The Originals.

Not seen this either, and tbh if I was to watch any of the Evil Dead's than I think it would be the recent remake that intrigues me the most!

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 21st December 2016, 01:38 AM
Post #78
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

69. Ju On: The Grudge

165pts | 2002 | Japan
Top 20's: JakeWild (#14)

Into 69th we have the original Grudge movie, Ju On: The Grudge, which places 17 places above the American remake and scored a top 20 from Jake!

Ju On: The Grudge is a 2002 Japanese supernatural horror by Takashi Shimizu and is the 3rd installment in the Ju-on series and the fisrt film to be theatrically released! The film premiered at Screamfest Film Festival in October 2002 and has spawned several sequels and the American remake 'The Grudge'! The film was also part of the Toronto International Film Festival in 2003 and a sequel to this film was also released in 2003! The film has mixed reviews and a score of 48 on Metacritic. The Washington Post called the film 'not particularly scary' and the New York Times compared the film unfavourably to 'The Ring'. The Grudge was one of the films at the peak of the J-Horror craze and the American remake was directed by the same director as the Japanese original!

Another film I need to see! (Don't worry, the next film on this list is one I have finally seen!)

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 21st December 2016, 01:58 AM
Post #79
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

68. Final Destination 4

165pts | 2009 | America
Top 20's: UV (#12)

Into 68th we have the fourth entry in the Final Destination franchise and the 2nd one to pop up in this countdown, and this entry received a top 20 position from me!

The Final Destination is the 4th installment of the FD franchise and is currently the highest-grossing in the franchise, earning $186m worldwide! However it received the worst critical reception of the franchise and was one of the last films to be theatrically released by New Line Cinema until they merged with Warner Bros! This was the first of the series to be shot in HD 3D and was followed by a sequel two years later! It was also the first 3D film to feature D-BOX motion feedback technology in select theaters! Some of the DVD's included an exclusive Final Destination comic book and the film was critically panned, with a poor 29% rating on Rotten Tomatoes!

I absolutely love this and it is still the only one I've seen in the franchise oops! The film is so thrilling and I adore the plot and the woven in-elements (e.g. the movie theatre) throughout the film and I love the escalator part! Thrilling and fabulous film and glad this made the top 100!

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 21st December 2016, 02:24 AM
Post #80
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

Nooo, check out the original Evil Dead first, I haven't actually seen the remake but that one is a real classic, brilliantly sadistic as you'd expect from Sam Raimi and a hell of a lot of fun.

Night of the Living Dead I only watched for the first time recently for my sins, but it's a great one for sure, and didn't feel 'basic' even by today's standards, was very impressive they managed to get such a premise out of that one enclosed space.

+Quote this post

9 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 04:46 AM