BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Drake - Certified Lover Boy, 6th studio album / 11th commercial project - out 03/09/2021
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
danG
post 3rd September 2021, 11:20 AM
Post #41
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

well I've given the whole thing a listen now and... given all the hype and waiting it's a big letdown oops, a lot of filler and not a lot of standouts. sad.gif may give it another listen later in the week to see if anything grows given it is Drake but it's not as good as his last couple of albums.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Brer
post 3rd September 2021, 10:40 PM
Post #42
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

I haven't listened to this yet of course but I can already tell just from the number of tracks on it that it's just going to be yet another bloated album with a few good songs and a ton of filler, as per usual from recent Drake albums. I guess the formula has still been working well for him and it looks like it's working again this time so no real reason to change but I do think it might do him some good to put out a shorter and more focused album one of these days anyway, he surely runs the risk of a critical mass of people eventually getting bored of this same album cycle every time. Either that or no one really cares and he'll just keep pumping out 20+ track albums for eternity and getting at least a couple of hits every time and being satisfied with that.

I'd love to see Billboard adopting a similar rule to the OCC in disregarding additional streaming beyond a certain number of tracks, the rules as they are just encourage these kind of mega bloated albums for stream trolling.

On an unrelated note I find it a little amusing that the song with Lil Baby is looking to be the highest charting one, after Lil Baby was also featured (uncredited) on Kanye's highest charting song this week in the end. He's really playing both sides of the beef and coming out on top laugh.gif

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 4th September 2021, 10:46 AM
Post #43
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 18,293

There's absolutely nothing on this worth going back to. Such a tediously dull album.

+Quote this post
p a v
post 6th September 2021, 01:56 PM
Post #44
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397

I'm here for Travis Scott and Travis alone.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 6th September 2021, 06:22 PM
Post #45
Group icon
User: 13,007

I have listened to this and... what a complete bore of an album blink.gif I couldn't recall a single lyric or moment on it that grabbed me (I think he sung "From the bottom to the top, man, what's it like in the middle?" at one point - but then practically every song he has done since "Started From The Bottom" has the same lyrics so idek tearsmile.gif).

If we were to compare to another album released recently that is also overly long, at least Donda is full of character (whether you like the character or not is a different matter), is filled with some poingnant and powerful lyrics and KILLER production that keeps you on your toes. Certified Lover Boy has none of that - it is tedious, boring and a complete drag.

Oh Drake, what happened? He has some masterpiece albums but the recent few have been lifeless.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 8th September 2021, 10:51 AM
Post #46
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

I must be the only one who likes the album.

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post 9th September 2021, 08:05 AM
Post #47
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,275

Fantano's review and especially the comments below are cruel but funny.

"Drake is the type of guy who makes eye contact with you through the crack of a bathroom stall.
Drake is the type of guy who opens bag of potato chips with scissors.
Drake is the type of guy who pretends to sleep in a car, so his friends would carry him inside.
Drake is the type of guy who rides a horse with both legs on one side."

"This album cover annoys me so much, I absolutely hate it. It's like the most tiktok zoomer target group oriented thing possible, by an artist who is trying his hardest to appeal to everyone in the mainstream by being as bland as possible ON TOP OF IT."

"drake has become a complete parody of himself"

"This whole album just came across as SO SHALLOW to me. Read the room, bruh. You're dropping this fboy nonsense when folks are coming out of major loss & a year of lockdowns. Nobody wants to hear how much money you have & how u dislike your son & just want to h03 in clubs."

"grow up knowing damn well he wasn't wanted. Drake's gonna make sure of that."

"The entire point of this project seems to just be Drake trying to remind his son that he was an accident that he wanted the world to never know about."

etc etc

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 9th September 2021, 08:34 AM
Post #48
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

That Michelle sample, swear I've heard it in another hip hop track but can't recall!

+Quote this post
danG
post 9th September 2021, 10:43 AM
Post #49
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥

QUOTE(Dobbo. @ Sep 9 2021, 09:34 AM) *
That Michelle sample, swear I've heard it in another hip hop track but can't recall!

The sample/instrumental is taken from this song that sampled Michelle

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 9th September 2021, 11:10 AM
Post #50
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Ah yes that's the exact bit, thanks! Mind you, I've never heard of that guy nor the song. I thought it was on a old Kanye album track or something.

+Quote this post
Music Critic
post 11th September 2021, 09:30 PM
Post #51
Group icon
New Entry
User: 136,604

Not his best album, but I like it a lot! Favorite song is Fair Trade, and Get Along Better

+Quote this post
Music Critic
post 11th September 2021, 09:31 PM
Post #52
Group icon
New Entry
User: 136,604

Banger

This post has been edited by Music Critic: 11th September 2021, 09:32 PM

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 13th September 2021, 01:18 PM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

I'm loving Girls Want Girls atm, probably my fave song from his since Nice For What but I really wish he'd had literally anyone other than Lil Baby as a feature, one of the most unpleasant voices in rap.

+Quote this post
Smint
post 14th September 2021, 12:22 AM
Post #54
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 124,514

He’s got 9 of the newly released Billboard top 10 with only ‘Stay’ by Bieber/Kid Laroi at 6 being the Drake free track. ‘Way 2 sexy’ the no.1 ahead of ‘Girls Want Girls’ and ‘Free Trade’. Must be a huge new record.

+Quote this post
danG
post 14th September 2021, 07:54 AM
Post #55
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥

laugh.gif

literally doing to Billboard what Sheeran did to our chart in 2017. But they probably won’t change their rules.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 14th September 2021, 08:16 AM
Post #56
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

What an absolute legend.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 14th September 2021, 12:58 PM
Post #57
Group icon

He's matched The Beatles for the record of holding the entire top 5, broken his own record of 7 simultaneous top 10s and the album apparently instantly becomes the first studio album ever that contains more than 7 top 10 hits after tying that with 'Scorpion' (not sure if the latter stat accounts for deluxe editions and whatnot). He also got the entire album in the top 40 with 'The Remorse' the lowest at #35.

Now imagine what he would have done if people actually liked the album...!

Somewhat surprisingly 'Way 2 Sexy' is the first Hot 100 #1 for Future, and it's the third for Young Thug, brownie points to anyone who remembers what the second one was without looking it up tongue.gif I was one of the few people who loved 'FRANCHISE' and even I forgot that it counts as a Young Thug #1

+Quote this post
Brer
post 30th September 2021, 06:26 PM
Post #58
Group icon

Well... this album has more highlights on it than his three track EP earlier in the year did. But only barely. laugh.gif

He managed 4/21 songs that make me want to listen to them again ('Fair Trade' is great - thank you Travis - and 'No Friends In The Industry'/'You Only Live Twice'/'Love All' are also good). The rest ranges from just decent to terminally dull, with more songs leaning towards the latter than the former. 'Knife Talk' in particular was a disappointment, I had decent hopes for that knowing that it was apparently a song that was originally intended for 21's last album which I loved but it turned out being just ok (still one of the better songs here and probably still better than 'Mr. Right Now' but meh), I guess there's a reason it got cut laugh.gif I really don't know what happened here, he has always occasionally dropped boring songs but never before this overwhelmingly. Even 'Way 2 Sexy' was just boring more than anything else to me, I don't hate it as much as some have but I almost wish I did just so it made me feel something.

+Quote this post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 08:26 PM