BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Game of Thrones (Season 7)
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Severin
post 17th July 2017, 11:38 PM
Post #41
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872

QUOTE(Iz~ @ Jul 18 2017, 12:00 AM) *
I did have the thought that the song he was singing was just like some random song off Divide. Nothing on the wonderful Rains of Castamere by either The National or Sigur Rós, or the Bear and the Maiden Fair even. Those felt set within the series, this was just Sheeran getting himself everywhere. And the camera was on him far too much.

Sheeran's a twat but that's not entirely fair on him. The song is from the books and is suggested to be about Tyrion and Shae. Tyrion speaks the words as he kills her in the book as well.

But I agree the camera lingered on him too obviously
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
SGrey
post 17th July 2017, 11:40 PM
Post #42
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 20,182

I forgot about Cersei using the C word but again there is no cure for being one as we've been frequently told kink.gif

I'd be interested to see how Olenna is reintroduced in this series given how the last ended. Do we have a poll on who will end up on the throne? Interested to see what everyone thinks!

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 18th July 2017, 12:07 AM
Post #43
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

QUOTE(Severin @ Jul 18 2017, 12:38 AM) *
Sheeran's a twat but that's not entirely fair on him. The song is from the books and is suggested to be about Tyrion and Shae. Tyrion speaks the words as he kills her in the book as well.

But I agree the camera lingered on him too obviously

Oh yes I saw the lyrics were from a book scene, I was referring to the tune and how his interpretation sounded.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 18th July 2017, 12:19 AM
Post #44
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

The worldwide hit series delivered an incredible 16.1 million viewers for the highly anticipated kick-off to its penultimate season across all HBO platforms (including repeats and streaming and DVR).

The season 7 premiere number represents a stunning 50 percent increase from last year’s opener — despite the drama airing in the summer for the first time. The number of households watching television is lower in the summer than in the spring when the show typically airs (which is why broadcast networks run most of their original programming from September to May). Even if you exclude HBO’s streaming platforms and just look at Nielsen’s overnight number (10.1 million viewers) the episode tops last year’s finale, which was the show’s previous most-watched episode in the overnight ratings.

The hour-long Thrones return, titled “Dragonstone,” earned rave reviews from critics (read our deep-dive recap) and currently has the show’s first 100 percent score for a season premiere on Rotten Tomatoes. The hour also inspired 2.4 million tweets, making it the show’s most-tweeted episode of all time, according to Twitter. GoT also has the distinction of being TV’s most Emmy-honored drama, though the series is sitting out this fall’s ceremony and the current season will not be eligible for consideration until 2018.

RELATED: Dive Deep Into the Premiere Episode With EW’s Game of Thrones Weekly Podcast

The news is both terrific for HBO and just a tad bittersweet — with only 12 episodes remaining, Thrones is a hugely lucrative property whose popularity has climbed every season that the company will dearly miss after it’s gone (the current season has seven episodes total; the eighth and final season will have six). HBO has multiple prequel series are in development in hopes of finding at least one worthy of continuing the GoT franchise, but they are without showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss or the current cast.

For ongoing Game of Thrones coverage, follow @jameshibberd for the latest; subscribe to our Thrones newsletter for breaking news alerts; follow us on Facebook

Over the years, the show’s first season averaged 3.3 million viewers including DVR, according to Nielsen. Season 6 averaged more than 25 million viewers per episode across all of HBO’s domestic platforms. The trajectory begs a question … especially since GoT finales tend to perform stronger than premieres… if the peneultimate season is opening to 16 million overnight viewers… what’s the Game of Thrones series finale going to do?
HOLY SHIT.

It's even more impressive because it's A CABLE CHANNEL!! mellow.gif

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 18th July 2017, 06:16 AM
Post #45
Group icon
User: 13,007

Globally, it's easily the biggest show around right now, right?

+Quote this post
Oliver
post 18th July 2017, 07:09 AM
Post #46
Group icon
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
User: 15,367

I was slightly underwhelmed by the episode. The best bit was the very start with Arya but after that it just got a bit...boring?

It's probably just because I binged all the other seasons last year and any slow bits were forgotten about quickly. unsure.gif

This post has been edited by Oliver: 18th July 2017, 07:10 AM

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 18th July 2017, 07:27 AM
Post #47
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

It was ridiculous that Sheeran was on it. It made it look like a shool drama play.

I worked out Frey was Arya in aboot 2 seconds. Friend: oh, this is the wrong episode, lemme change. Me: it's Arya.

Quite a boring episode tbh.

Glad Danaerys has recaptured her home city however. How long ago was it deserted? Or was it the place Baratheon used?

+Quote this post
Dexton
post 18th July 2017, 07:56 AM
Post #48
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045

Boring? laugh.gif I thought it was far from it. Yeah, nothing too incredible happened but that's just the same for every seasons opener. It caught us up with basically everyone we care about and set the scene for this season.

Stray observations of things I found interesting:

- Jorahs stone-disease progressing all the way up his arm, he likely won't come out of his cell alive or at least won't be alive for Danys ascension to the throne (which is HEARTBREAKING)
- Cersei saying c**t will never get old. I adore her to bits but god she needs to die at the end of this..
- Aryas scene with the Lannister men showing that she isn't a completely cold blooded killer (or she would've pulled something on Sheerans gang who she was fighting against)
- Dany taking back Dragonstone after Stannis left. It's a shame those two never met because he was my favourite contender for the throne (up until the whole daughter burning incident) after the Queen of Dragons herself
- Stark family reunion next episode
- Speaking of the Starks, Jon vs Sansa seems to be an interesting idea... I'm surprised Littlefinger hasn't ran down south yet though to start conspiring with Varys & Tyrion now that Dany is looking strong

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 18th July 2017, 08:09 AM
Post #49
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

Jon v Stansa is a great plotline, and Little Finger is thrte to stir the pot...

Arya is going south, so no family reunion for now!

Also WHY do people like Stannis?? He is aaawwwfuul and so beige. His brother was better.

This post has been edited by MoistSummerFruit: 18th July 2017, 08:10 AM

+Quote this post
post 18th July 2017, 08:30 AM
Post #50
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

I feel like Sansa is going to die this season or early next season. I am worried, she's my fav.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 18th July 2017, 09:40 AM
Post #51
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

I think the writing was pretty poor tbh.

How did Cersei figure out what Danaerys was doing/ where she was/ where Tyrion was and how did she know John Snow had been declared king of the north and send a raven the DAY AFTER??

But who did you all agree with - Sansa or John? I haaate John Snow but I think he was right.

The accents are all over the shop this season - even worse than usual! John Snow's is particularly bad. Bran Stark's performance was laugh.gif oh my!

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 18th July 2017, 10:01 AM
Post #52
Group icon

QUOTE(MoistSummerFruit @ Jul 18 2017, 09:09 AM) *
Also WHY do people like Stannis?? He is aaawwwfuul and so beige. His brother was better.

1) No-nonsense, unflappable, perfect straight man who is the rightful heir given Cersei's incest
2) The grammar... whitewalkerism (I think some of the best laughs I had while watching it with GoT Soc at uni were at 'Fewer')
3) Stannis the Mannis

So yeah, he's a supercompetent beacon of masculinity who is legitimately the rightful heir, basically. Robert was a drunk lunatic and Renly was a bit... nondescript. He was far better in the books.

~

I can see ways that both Sansa and Jon are right. It's a really interesting situation because there is no right answer. He could have rewarded some minor houses and now those houses will be thinking 'why did I fight for Jon if he's just going to pardon his enemies', and Littlefinger and anyone else among the Vale or the North who schemes will see it as a sign of weakness, it's not playing the game of thrones that smartly, if you're cynical. But he just got undying loyalty from those kids and the armies that they commanded because of the pardon that he publically gave them, fitting with the history and because he's in the North, which is a more straight-talking area than the Reach or the West, the other lords, particularly Lady Mormont will probably see it as a good reminder of Ned Stark and the just hand that the Starks have over the North. There's a long history of houses staying the same in the North that doesn't happen as much in the other kingdoms (see: the Reynes, does Jon want to seem like the Lannisters?). It was pretty much just one Umber and one Karstark that fell in with the Boltons, and many had died for Robb not too long ago.

QUOTE(MoistSummerFruit @ Jul 18 2017, 10:40 AM) *
I think the writing was pretty poor tbh.

How did Cersei figure out what Danaerys was doing/ where she was/ where Tyrion was and how did she know John Snow had been declared king of the north and send a raven the DAY AFTER??

The timeline is spread out (scenes in the same episode may be set weeks or even months apart by now) and ravens/gossip/messenger boys are constantly updating everyone.

+Quote this post
SGrey
post 18th July 2017, 10:26 AM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 20,182

It would be obvious for Dany to go there as well given the connection to the Targaryens Dragstone has.

I do hope Sansa survives whatever is coming - she's grown massively on me and isn't too much of a drip now to watch.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 18th July 2017, 11:02 AM
Post #54
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

Oh, ao that's why the macho men, same going on aoot a female doctor, love Stannis. Got it.

+Quote this post
post 18th July 2017, 11:17 AM
Post #55
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

QUOTE(Saenerys @ Jul 18 2017, 11:26 AM) *
I do hope Sansa survives whatever is coming - she's grown massively on me and isn't too much of a drip now to watch.

I feel like she's the last expendable Stark in terms of story and she'll be one of the next huge shock deaths. She managed to get her revenge at the end of the last season which made me feel like her story went full circle. I'm not sure what's going to happen with Bran but I always felt like Arya and Jon would be the last two standing Starks.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 18th July 2017, 11:23 AM
Post #56
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

Bran is a peripheral stark tbh

I think he will end up suck back in time building/ sacrificing himself for the wall - Bran the Builder

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 18th July 2017, 01:34 PM
Post #57
Group icon

QUOTE(MoistSummerFruit @ Jul 18 2017, 12:02 PM) *
Oh, ao that's why the macho men, same going on aoot a female doctor, love Stannis. Got it.

Oh that's diplomatic, let's paint people who like positive depictions of masculinity (which he was prior to burning Shireen and I and my friends all felt quite betrayed by that because of how good a character he was previously) into anti-feminists. It's possible to like both sides you know and it's really not the same people.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 18th July 2017, 01:46 PM
Post #58
Group icon

Tbf though now Jon is properly making decisions as the North's King he's a far better replacement for that particular archetype.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 18th July 2017, 03:33 PM
Post #59
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

I posted this in the TV forum but I'll leave it here too:

Game of Thrones (Sky Atlantic)
2am-3am: 2m (62%)
9pm-10pm: 788,300 (4.1%)

The return of HBO’s fantasy epic helped Sky Atlantic reach its highest ever overnight ratings with 2.8m tuning in to either the 2am simulcast or the 9pm linear TX.

The seventh series, which featured a cameo from pop star Ed Sheeran, was well ahead of the 2.2m people who watched the opener of the last series, which totalled an overnight audience of 2.2m in April 2016.

This year’s 2am simulcast, which also includes viewers who recorded it and watched it within a 24 hour period, comfortably beat the 1.4m (50.9%) that watched or recorded last year’s 2am showing.

However, the linear episode was down 2016’s 816,000 (3.7%) to 788,300 (4.1%) this year.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 18th July 2017, 06:29 PM
Post #60
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

Honestly it's crazy to think how big the show has become. As one of the originals, when it first aired on HBO I believe it watched by about 1.6 million. Now it has grown in to the biggest show in the world... mental!

I enjoyed the premiere. It was a good introduction to all of the major players (pretty much) which I think was needed after such a long break. I am assuming Dany/Jon will meet up fairly shortly and then Cersei and Dany will have a battle - then there will be the battle with Tormund & the Wildings vs the White Walkers. That's my thoughts anyway.

Agree with what a few people have said about Euron, it is hard to get behind the character. He's hard to believe and we have had much better characters we love to hate. I feel this is partly because he was introduced quite late in the game so he is pretty undeveloped as a character.

+Quote this post

13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 28th April 2024, 11:01 AM