BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Tech News, All the latest...
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Oliver
post 19th August 2018, 07:46 AM
Post #1
Group icon
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
User: 15,367

Netflix

In a move that likens it to normal cable and terrestrial TV, Netflix is testing video adverts in between episodes of their shows on the platform. It only seems to be Netflix Originals that they are advertising, however there has been plenty of backlash from customers annoyed that their series binge is being interrupted. As it is in the test phase only a limited amount of users are affected and there is no known date of if/when this will roll out fully.

Great news for Buzzjack though is that our own moderator's Netflix account is one of these lucky trialists! We noticed last week that we were getting full screen trailers in between episodes of Breaking Bad for various other titles; the main screen slides to the right with a 'More <title> up next...', and on the left is a 'but first check out <title>...' message that pops up with an advert for the said title. I didn't actually realise this was just a test until reading online, and whilst it is a little annoying to have this when I pay for this service to not be hassled by adverts, they are skippable and in reality it has opened my eyes to other series that I may not have looked at before.

Has anyone else's Netflix shown this to them, and if so, what are you opinions on the matter?

Apple

A 16 year-old Australian school kid has pleaded guilty to hacking into Apple's main computer network, stealing 90GB of sensitive data over the course of a year. The AFP (after liaising with the FBI) raided the teenager's home and found several devices used in the hack, as well as the software he used to gain access. Inventively, the folder in which the teenager was keeping all of the files was called...'Hacky hack hack'! laugh.gif

The case is being dealt with fairly quietly, as, according to the defence, the teenager is a well known hacker and putting his identity out there could cause him harm. The Crown prosecutor said it would be beneficial for Apple as they are "very sensitive about publicity".
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 19th August 2018, 11:09 AM
Post #2
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

I think Netflix testing adverts can go either way.. if it means they have more money available for content then great, but this needs to be matched with no price increase for the consumer. I mean I know you can skip them, but kinda takes away the whole idea of paying for a service...

+Quote this post
Silas
post 19th August 2018, 11:24 AM
Post #3
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

If I wanted to watch adverts with my content i'd stick with the free All4 service. I don't, hence why I pay Netflix.

If Netflix wants ads it should be part of a free/lower cost package that you can opt out of by continuing to pay the current monthly fees

+Quote this post
Oliver
post 19th August 2018, 12:24 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
User: 15,367

I agree with both of you, I pay for Netflix so I don’t have to worry about adverts in between episodes! We’ll have to wait and see how the trial goes and if they think the reception was worth it.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 09:12 PM