BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> OSCARS 2016 ● Official Discussion Thread, Sunday 28th February | SPOTLIGHT WINS BEST PICTURE!!!!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Josh!
post 29th February 2016, 10:05 PM
Post #161
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

I think my favourite Amy Adams performance is in American Hustle (I'm not a huge fan of the film itself although I liked it but all the acting in this is phenomenal, stick shocked it never took home an Oscar in any of the 10 categories it was nominated it ohmy.gif) but then I'd still have given it to Cate Blanchett over her (and maybe Judi Dench too!) so I can't complain too much. Hopefully she has some Oscar-worthy films on the schedule.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
PaulM1983
post 29th February 2016, 10:23 PM
Post #162
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 6,471

QUOTE(Regina @ Feb 29 2016, 08:12 PM) *
Can we discuss how friggin phenomenal Jen Garner looked though?

YES! Jen looked stunning heart.gif

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 1st March 2016, 12:06 AM
Post #163
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

Better luck next time Regina, coz I think the internet are making Johnny Depp their next awards "sweetheart"! laugh.gif

I think this whole "Leo for Oscar" thing is mainly down to him being deserving of the wins at the time/people were shocked that he'd never won an award for any of his roles, but possibly thinking he deserved it/was the publics choice on more than just a few occasions. Whereas, as good as Amy is, I feel that she was never really a "threat" for any of the awards she was up for and she'd always have 2 or 3 ladies in her category that deserved it more. She deserved the nominations, but none of them were particularly "award worthy", unlike how people would probably see Leo's performances, maybe?

For me personally though, I can't help but feel Amy is perhaps just a bit too soft for any of the awards (kind of a similar issue to how I thought Idris was in his performance this year for 'Beasts Of No Nation'). Good enough for recognition yes, but not really to take it "all the way" (for me at least). Like, even when she's angry she just comes off as "aww. That's cute" as opposed to "woah! Chill out!" laugh.gif (poor wording, but hopefully you get what I mean haha)

But that's just me, obviously! laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Regina
post 1st March 2016, 05:33 PM
Post #164
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572

She's only ever done one "angry" role though laugh.gif and she did it justice. I've never seen anyone call it "soft" laugh.gif
I honestly don't know what you mean about calling her soft, she mianly plays characters who are sublte and had depth, she doesn't need to and shouldn't need to play
OTT brash characters in order for people to take notice of her. She has proved time and time again she has the talent and ha splayed roles that deserve Oscars.
Look at Junebug, she plays this bubbly, naivee woman who can't wait to be a mother but when tragedy strikes and she gets emotional she is 100% convincing and that
one scene in the hospital alone proves she is worthy of the award. She can do complex characters too, Sydney in American Hustle was pretty complicated and she managed to have chemsitry with both Bradley and Christian and deliver the sexiness without coming off as a slag. Even though she wasn't a particulary sympathetic character, Amy played her in a way that you still feel sorry for her and want her to end up okay. Compare that with JLaw who just comes off bratty and immature, like she does in all her other roles IMO.

I've never been wowed by a Leo performance, at all. He can act but he comes across as messy to me, like he is throwing in all the things people think should be Oscar
worthy and letting it get the best of him. He also seems to only be in the kind of movies that come across as Oscar bait to me.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 1st March 2016, 08:20 PM
Post #165
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post 1st March 2016, 09:13 PM
Post #166
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
Pronouns: he/him
User: 8,674

I read in the newspaper today that Chris Rock is 51 and thought it had to be an error. WHAT

Also having watched Sam Smith's speech last night, I think the backlash he got has been a bit over the top. Yeah he got it wrong, but he wasn't saying it with certainty anyway and clearly said "even if it's not [true]", at the end of the day it was in support of the LGBT community.

+Quote this post
Frank!
post 4th March 2016, 10:39 AM
Post #167
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 761

QUOTE(Regina @ Feb 29 2016, 09:12 PM) *
Amy deserved to win for Junebug, The Fighter, Doubt (not even nominated for that though) and American Hustle IMO. Not so much The Master.

She was nominated for Doubt though tongue.gif

+Quote this post
Regina
post 4th March 2016, 10:45 AM
Post #168
Group icon
Raining Shitter

Oh so she was laugh.gif #flopstan sleep.gif

Also, kinda unrelated but has anyone else read Amy's recent interview with GQ? sad.gif Seems like she spent most of her time on American Hustle being bullied by David O. Russell and he made her cry a few times. Why do people keep working with him? I get that he made amends on films like The Fighter and made strides in his attitude
but he seems to have backtracked now, I kinda lose respect for the likes of J-Law who seem to be his little acting puppets.
Amy also raised good points about the whole pay gap issue, that actors have people whose job it is to negotiate pay and that sometimes you need to take less money in order to be in the movie. She knew she was being payed less but wanted to do the movie.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 4th March 2016, 11:16 AM
Post #169
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

QUOTE(Regina @ Mar 4 2016, 10:45 AM) *
Oh so she was laugh.gif #flopstan sleep.gif

Also, kinda unrelated but has anyone else read Amy's recent interview with GQ? sad.gif Seems like she spent most of her time on American Hustle being bullied by David O. Russell and he made her cry a few times. Why do people keep working with him? I get that he made amends on films like The Fighter and made strides in his attitude
but he seems to have backtracked now, I kinda lose respect for the likes of J-Law who seem to be his little acting puppets.
Amy also raised good points about the whole pay gap issue, that actors have people whose job it is to negotiate pay and that sometimes you need to take less money in order to be in the movie. She knew she was being payed less but wanted to do the movie.
C'mon now, as if you had any respect for her anyway?! laugh.gif

kink.gif

I've not read the interview but that's pretty sad to read. sad.gif I don't understand how directors et al are, so I didn't know anything about what went on with 'The Fighter'. I've heard David Fincher is quite hard to work with, but I think his is more that he's a perfectionist an likes things to be spot on as opposed to just outright bullying (which I guess is this case?)

Also in regards to the pay thing, I'm not sure where I stand on it all. I think it should go in order of how important the role is that they're given, but I can appreciate the backlash from women, when if their role was gender reversed (can't remember the proper term for it haha - Gender bending?) then a male actor would likely be paid more for exactly the same sort of role.

+Quote this post
Regina
post 4th March 2016, 11:35 AM
Post #170
Group icon
Raining Shitter

I had a small amount tbf, a very small amount kink.gif

From what I gather, David was known for being a dick (I think there's a video of him and Lily Tomlin having a fight) but he redeemed himself on The Fighter which is why I assume Christian Bale and Amy wanted to work with him again. But I have seen stories of how David actively bullied Amy on the AH set to a point where Christian had to step in and tell him to back off. But this is the first time Amy's spoken about it herself and not from sources, so some of the other stories might be overdramatised, but it does seem like she had a horrible time on that set.
The pay thing is an iffy subject, I agree that it should go with how much screentime and how important a character is, so in the case of American Hustle, Christian, Amy and Bradley should have gotten payed more than Jeremy or Jennifer. But there's also the fact that actors and actresses do have people who negotiate pay and if they are doing a sucky job then it's their fault.

+Quote this post

9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 12:04 AM