BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Is W.O.M.A.N better than Spice Up Your Life?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Woman vs SUYL
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 24
Guests cannot vote 
Long Dong Silver
post Aug 2 2019, 09:47 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639
Which do you like best?

or

It's a little unfair, as we only have the demo/ live demo of W.O.M.A.N, but someone did post a video of them dancing to the plodding, lifeless, vampire-victim Darkchild version of the song too? However, I've seen aroond the youtube people saying W.O.M.A.N would have been an even better lead than Spice Up Your Life, and would have been a better song.

You know what? I agree! Have you heard the vocal stems of SUYL? Geri says UH flat as anything, Emma pronounces chicas as chickens, and the lyrics are like from the scary door - "You are entering the vicinity of an area adjacent to a location. The kind of place where there might be a monster, or some kind of weird mirror. These are just examples; it could also be something much better. Prepare to enter: The Scary Door." - and compare that to, "California, me and you, kung-fu fighting, dancing queen, tribal spaceman and all that's in between."

The lyrics of SUYL are bad, and the vocals are horrendous and flat. The beat is cheesy and a copy of Latin songs, whereas WOMAN has a dance-pop sound and sounds more spicey than anything they've done since the first album! So, I agree. I think W.O.M.A.N was a missed legacy track, would have gazumped Destiny's Child on the same, and would have been far better than SUYL.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
tommie
post Aug 3 2019, 07:54 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073
The studio version of WOMAN is horrid tbh :vomit:

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Aug 3 2019, 08:21 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
QUOTE(tommie @ Aug 3 2019, 08:54 PM) *
The studio version of WOMAN is horrid tbh :vomit:

Do you have it?? Or are you talking about the lifeless darkchild rnb vampire version?

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post Aug 3 2019, 09:10 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308
The Spice Up Your life lyrics are awful, yes but the production and vocals make up for it, I find it best to ignore the lyrics apart from the chorus and buildup to it and the bit about positivity. It is a pop song with so much energy to it, almost like the 90s equivalent of Frankie Goes To Hollywood's Two Tribes in this respect I think. W.O.M.A.N. I have never heard before, sounds quite good from that clip, but I have to vote for Spice up Your Life.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Aug 3 2019, 09:58 PM
Post #5
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217
The lyrics aren’t awful, they’re uplifting & fun! I’ll concede that the second verse is a bit random... but overall, it’s pop at its finest.

QUOTE(Algernon Monqueef @ Aug 3 2019, 09:21 PM) *
Do you have it?? Or are you talking about the lifeless darkchild rnb vampire version?

Darkchild were never associated with Woman...

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Aug 3 2019, 10:02 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
QUOTE(Jay ☆ @ Aug 3 2019, 10:58 PM) *
The lyrics aren’t awful, they’re uplifting & fun! I’ll concede that the second verse is a bit random... but overall, it’s pop at its finest.
Darkchild were never associated with Woman...

Wrong tongue.gif There was a video floating around on here of them rehearsing to Darkchild's rnb version of Woman. Man alive, it was lifeless!

+Quote this post
Blond 2.0
post Aug 3 2019, 10:44 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,576
LOL Nope

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Aug 4 2019, 01:21 AM
Post #8
Group icon
QUOTE(Algernon Monqueef @ Aug 3 2019, 11:02 PM) *
Wrong tongue.gif There was a video floating around on here of them rehearsing to Darkchild's rnb version of Woman. Man alive, it was lifeless!

That was produced by Biffco, lol

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post Aug 4 2019, 10:55 AM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568
Spice up your life is classic Spice Girls. I’ve only heard the Earls Court performance of WOMAN and it’s catchy enough but not a patch on Spice up your life!

+Quote this post
Piers
post Aug 5 2019, 01:37 AM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 69,521
QUOTE(Algernon Monqueef @ Aug 3 2019, 05:02 PM) *

The version they're rehearsing in that video is the Stannard/Rowe demo of the song. The rehearsals are for their 1999 Christmas tour. They were still planning to use both the pop and r'n'b tracks at that point...which is why they performed the pop version of Right Back at Ya at the concerts.

I can't verify this...but there were people who claimed to be in the know on the old DenDen forum who said the Darkchild team (specifically Fred Jerkins) tried to redo W.O.M.A.N. in mid-2000. The belief was that the song just couldn't be adapted to the Darkchild style...so they scrapped it and had to record Wasting My Time to complete the album at the last minute.

+Quote this post
Piers
post Aug 5 2019, 01:49 AM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 69,521
I can't really compare W.O.M.A.N. and Spice Up Your Life...having only heard a snippet of a demo and a live version of the former.

Would it have made a better lead single than Spice Up Your Life? Probably not. As album lead singles go, Wannabe and Spice Up Your Life demand your attention. Holler was the arrival of a whole new sound. Love em or hate em, all three were designed to get people talking. I don't think W.O.M.A.N. competes with all of that. It might be a great studio recording. It may have even been single worthy. But ultimately, it was another fun disco track. Nothing wrong with that. They were great at that. But it wouldn't have been striking into new territory for them in the way their actual lead singles did.

This post has been edited by Piers: Aug 5 2019, 01:49 AM

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Aug 7 2019, 12:20 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
I thibk it does demand attention though, as a massive, spicy song WITHOUT Geri, which they don't have!

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post Aug 7 2019, 12:29 PM
Post #13
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895
Spice Up Your Life is a mission statement and I alwats figured coming with the movie it was meant to be a bit tongue in cheek.

WOMAN I think is a bit forgettable and from the demo sounds like an early 90s production, Stock Aitken Waterman, not the kind of production the biggest girlgroup in the world should have been able to command at their peak.

To me its no contest even while Spice Up is far from the girls' best

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Aug 8 2019, 02:37 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
Look what the youtube algorithm suggested biggrin.gif

That studio version sounds LIT! And that's the rnb version, not even the lop one ohmy.gif

Lmao at the TEA about Forever that dancer says: "if anyone was expecting juice, it's more like a drink this time" rotf.gif Too right!!

+Quote this post
pippa
post Aug 8 2019, 03:01 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031
Spice Up Your Life is the best song by The Spice Girls in their whole catalogue.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Aug 8 2019, 04:08 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845
No comparison at all SUYL is miles better.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Aug 8 2019, 05:42 PM
Post #17
Group icon
QUOTE(Algernon Monqueef @ Aug 8 2019, 03:37 PM) *
That studio version sounds LIT! And that's the rnb version, not even the lop one ohmy.gif

Meeeeekel, stahp!

It’s produced by Stannard and Rowe! It’s pop, not R&B

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Aug 8 2019, 06:19 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
QUOTE(Jay ☆ @ Aug 8 2019, 06:42 PM) *
Meeeeekel, stahp!

It’s produced by Stannard and Rowe! It’s pop, not R&B

Oh so that's the pop one?

There absolutely IS an rnb one for the darkchild shite album!! It was shared on here! They were dancing to a lifeless version of it.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 01:25 PM