BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Owl City - Cinematic, Out 01/06/2018
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Spinning Adam
post 9th October 2017, 11:38 PM
Post #21
Group icon
Former iconic poster with no consistent posting style
Pronouns: Don't take em seriously tbh
User: 21,005

QUOTE(Jacobites @ Oct 10 2017, 12:01 AM) *
^Edited your post from Spring 2017 to Spring 2018 because I'm sure that's what you meant. These mod powers. laugh.gif

Would probably do the same tbh, hyped though! Looking forward to hearing new OC and what his sound might be like now.
yeah thanks Jacob laugh.gif

Also apparently 15 new songs I think it was are to be coming up in total this era (so 12 minus what we’ve already had for the album probs), the reddit experts also estimate it is near completion and he’s in the perfecting stages with new material (most likely the vids) coming out in November or even next month with the full album Spring next year cheer.gif

This post has been edited by Spun's Labyrinth: 9th October 2017, 11:39 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post 26th October 2017, 04:00 PM
Post #22
Group icon

Adam released a short preview of a track: https://www.instagram.com/p/BapDcA-jTlW/

Not bad biggrin.gif there's deffo some score influence and it's very Ultraviolet which is everyone's fave heart.gif

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post 30th October 2017, 04:48 PM
Post #23
Group icon

Album details announced! cheer.gif

18 songs omfg wub.gif it's called Cinematic and will be released on 1st June next year though which is aaaages away although he's releasing three EPs he calls "reels" between now and then, each one containing three songs. This Friday he's releasing the first song from Reel 1 called All My Friends and putting the album up for pre-order at the same time.

when is he announcing a tour in the uk tho~ tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Spun's Labyrinth: 30th October 2017, 04:53 PM

+Quote this post
m
post 30th October 2017, 04:56 PM
Post #24
Group icon
I asked for my account to be banned
User: 7,132

I interpreted it as "reals" lol. Anyway, exciting. "Life is like a movie, so is yours".

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post 30th October 2017, 04:58 PM
Post #25
Group icon

QUOTE(HowtoCookMattias @ Oct 30 2017, 04:56 PM) *
I interpreted it as "reals" lol. Anyway, exciting. "Life is like a movie, so is yours".
nah they're "reels" because of the whole "cinematic" thing tongue.gif

+Quote this post
m
post 31st October 2017, 07:35 AM
Post #26
Group icon

QUOTE(Spun @ Oct 30 2017, 04:58 PM) *
nah they're "reels" because of the whole "cinematic" thing tongue.gif

Yeah I know haha, it's just the way I took it in lmao. "the reel world" teas

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post 2nd November 2017, 04:14 PM
Post #27
Group icon

All My Friends artwork

I have mixed feelings about this lmao, I love how it's similar to a Star Wars cover laugh.gif I just don't know what to think about the other people mellow.gif it also gives the impression that it's going to be another one of those poppy commerical songs, which of course can be GOOD like Good Time. Hopefully it's not a cringey video too but I know that the actors in the videos were mostly by fans.

And here's the tracklist for Cinematic!

https://www.reddit.com/r/OWLCITY/comments/7...atic_tracklist/

So the only track not new on there is NAHWC, so we've still got SEVENTEEN brand new tracks to look forward too *.* yahoo.gif

EDIT: preview here

Well this isn't what I'd call Good Time 2.0, reminds me of something you'd hear in High School Musical or something. Hopefully I grow to it, lead singles don't always represent the album/reel at least tongue.gif

This post has been edited by spapedVop: 2nd November 2017, 04:20 PM

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post 2nd November 2017, 05:11 PM
Post #28
Group icon

snydergurl has uploaded this a day early ohmy.gif

I'm actually enjoying this a fair bit now music.gif

+Quote this post
Jacob-
post 1st December 2017, 02:24 AM
Post #29
Group icon
Jacob Alan~
User: 21,664

"I ain't a spindoctor but thanks for the offer."

!!!

"Fiji Water" and "The 5th of July" are both released today.

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post 1st December 2017, 03:50 PM
Post #30
Group icon

SO happy All My Friends is the only one of its kind in the album cheer.gif epic sounds from the previews and the released ones

+Quote this post
Jacob-
post 3rd December 2017, 02:42 AM
Post #31
Group icon
Jacob Alan~

The artwork is a weird one because in the past Owl City artwork has always been so aesthetically pleasing and Cinematic seems way too busy. The cityscape background and the reels on the side look great but all the items and people in front look kinda stuck on and out of place. I get where he's going with it because (iirc) the album's supposed to be more autobiographical than previous albums so the images are meant to represent that I guess? But it could've been blended better- maybe if half the images were cut it'd work. Tbf I do like the lil Ocean Eyes era Adam in the background haha.

This promotional image is so much cleaner:

And a similar one with reels:
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/srv1bL8Vqmc/maxresdefault.jpg

As for the music, All My Friends has an amazing opening (I ADORE the guitar tone, both the acoustic in the verses and electric in the chorus). For the first few seconds on my first listen I got so excited haha. That said, I'm not a huge fan of the group vocals (I can live with them but they're not great) but when it gets to the "let me hear you say yeah" part at the end of the chorus it seems really odd, like it dips into a different song then back out again. The 2nd chorus is great because it doesn't go into that section. The song also ends that way. It's a shame because it's a song with great potential that's slightly spoilt by an odd structure and cringe. There's lots of good in it but overall it just didn't work, no idea what happened with it- I've not felt any real desire to go back and listen to it a huge amount which is unusual for new OC.

Fiji Water is lovely- slightly reminiscent of early OC. The 5th of July is really cute too, lovely power ballad. All My Friends aside I love how his sound is maturing, of course I'll always miss Ocean Eyes/ All Thing Bright and Beautiful but this whole guitar/ electronic mix is working really well for him.

+Quote this post
Jacob-
post 13th January 2018, 02:28 AM
Post #32
Group icon
Jacob Alan~

Lucid Dream is released! On my first listen right now but I'm impressed, seems like he's gone fairly trancey on this one. ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
lewistgreen
post 3rd February 2018, 11:10 AM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: he/him
User: 19,585

Out June 1st // Full Tracklisting:

1. Fiji Water
2. The 5th of July
3. All My Friends
4. House Wren
5. Not All Heroes Wear Capes
6. Montana
7. Lucid Dream
8. Always
9. Cloud Nine
10. Winners Never Quit
11. Madeline Island
12. Be Brave
13. New York City
14. Firebird
15. Cinematic
16. All My Friends (Alt. Version)
17. Montana (Alt. Version)
18. Firebird (Alt. Version)

+Quote this post
Jacob-
post 4th June 2018, 03:58 PM
Post #34
Group icon
Jacob Alan~

Cinematic is now out! A bit hit and miss but the hits really hit. On first listen, Fiji Water, The 5th Of July, Lucid Dream, Madeline Island, Be Brave, New York City, Firebird, Cinematic and Montana (Alt Version) are my highlights, bolded my top 3 (ofc I know some already because of the Reel things but I've been mostly saving listens until the album actually came out). Some of it makes me feel really nostalgic and lovely (like Fiji Water, The 5th Of July), I was legit in tears feeling like 16 again listening to The 5th Of July, some of it shows some great musical progression, I absolutely adore Firebird and New York City. Montana (the normal version) has a great chorus but not particularly interesting verses. The alternate version however is so Sky Sailing I'm in love, it has much softer vocals more reminiscent of 2007-2010 Adam Young and the song works much better for me with the instrumentation on the alt version, much more subtle and beautiful. Alt Firebird is cool too and has a similar vibe to Alt Montana, really nice to have but the normal version is awesome anyway in that case.

Some tracks are best never spoken of, like All My Friends- such a shame with that track because some of it's really good, just other parts of it make it unlistenable </3. The alternate version is much better but it's still the same song at the core, so not particularly amazing. At least it loses the horrible group vocals and brings in the lovely Breanne Düren which really helps it, though I wish she had a feature on a better song- actually think she's on Alt Firebird a tiiny bit which makes that even more amazing. Most of the rest seem kind of average first listen and the lyrics aren't as strong as they used to be on the whole but it's easily his best Owl City record since All Things Bright And Beautiful for me.

+Quote this post
Jacob-
post 4th June 2018, 04:17 PM
Post #35
Group icon
Jacob Alan~

Oh and also.

#fanboyingover

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 4th June 2018, 04:40 PM
Post #36
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

Loving Lucid Dream and Firebird, cool pop with trancey and rocky influences respectively.

let us all agree that All My Friends never happened, it's better that way

+Quote this post
m
post 4th June 2018, 04:47 PM
Post #37
Group icon

I think I'm slightly going off Owl City, maybe also cos I've less time to just listen to music for hours, but it's comparatively rare these days that I'll put on Owl City (I did listen to a couple of his score tracks just today tho... I love them so much) and I don't feel a sense of genuine excitement about this one either oops. I'll still listen to it (eventually kink.gif) and already know and like 'Lucid Dream'! shake me ~

From what I've read, this is his most autobiographical album, less abstract and "fantastical" I guess.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 07:25 AM